PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Contemporary Resort

Moonstorm
04-04-2007, 05:21 PM
We are planning a trip to WDW in May 2008. 5 adults 3 kids (ages 1 1/2, 2 1/2, and 5) One of the adults will be my 84 year old grandmother. At first, we were going to stay at ASMu, my hubby, his mom and the 3 kids in a family suite and then my mom and grandma in there own room. We were concerned with price.
Then, I got to thinking. Even though the buses run regularly and travel is made easy when staying at a resort, it would be really nice to stay at a resort with the monorail. With children as small as mine will be at that time I am sure we will spend a great deal of time at MK and I LOVE Epcot =) It's so much easier to hop on the monorail and I think it'll be easier for my grandma as well. Do I have the correct line of thinking?

Last time I was there (I was w/o kids) was in 1997 and I stayed at the Poly =) So, I'm thinking maybe Contemporary this time. GF is just too ritzy for me, lol

spiceycat
04-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't think 3 adults would like the ASMu suites.

It has a queen bed, then a sofa bed and a chair bed.

2 adults and 3 or 4 kids great - but 3 adults - don't know.

how about a 2-bedroom DVC resort - either BCV or VWL. maybe a studio too?

Moonstorm
04-04-2007, 05:43 PM
I thought about that but the monorail is really a selling point to me. 3 kids and a grandma! lol

ParrotBill
04-04-2007, 05:50 PM
I think you are right on track! The contemporary is really magic for kids and so fun to take the monorail to the MK and EPCOT. It's definitely easier to handle the monorail than the buses for mobility reasons. Also, the Contemporary has plenty of public areas and a lounge to hang out so you are not so crowded into the room all the time.

We love the contemporary! If only it were a DVC resort...

Moonstorm
04-04-2007, 06:03 PM
It's expensive but hey, we are a party of 8 (well, I guess my 1 1/2 yr old and my 2 1/2 yr old won't count?)

I think I may be willing to sacrifice $ for sanity! LOL

zumbergc
04-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Something to think about when your at the contemporary.
You are super close, walking distance to the MK.

Monorail goes Contemporary, TTC, Poly, GF, MK.
So going to MK, better walk than sit on a monorail that stops at all those places. Monorail great for the ride back to the CR

However being super close to the MK, means you are farther away from everything else. It takes a long time to get to AK, MGM.
Epcot still seamed to take a good half hour to get over, one monorail, switch to the other monorail. The monorail that does the loop for epcot to TTC, takes a good 20 minutes, so if you miss the one that just left, you have a 20 min wait.

This happened last trip when there was a biological accident "child peed in the wheel chair car, while sleeping in chair, he was exhausted, and they cleared the car for it to be cleaned". Funny to think about, because his little brother was telling us over and over that his brother peed., had to be there. but since the other wheel chair car was full, we had to wait for the next train.

Plus, the ride to AK, and MGM took forever.

All depends on where you like to visit the most. If your trip is mostly MK, thats great! Wither several small kids, that could be the best place for you.

We spent our last trip at the CR. We were on the 6th floor right above the monorail, on the MK side. Loud, everytime the monorail stopped, which seamed to be every five minutes, when the doors open, loud noise.

Plus, if your down on the 6th floor, you can even hear the MK chu chu train horn whistle in the morning. On the balcony, you can hear all the bus, and traffic noise heading towards the MK.

After 2 days of no sleep we requested a room change. The monorail starts like at 6:30 in the morning and runs until what seems like after midnight.
If your a light sleeper, request an upper floor. Even if you try to sleep in the middle of the day, the darn monorail kept me up.

Sleep came by much easier up on the 11th floor. So, if your a light sleeper, request a higher floor.

Have a good trip.

Connie

Moonstorm
04-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I am getting better with all the initials, but I can't for the life of me figure out what TTC is? (except trying to conceive, LOL)

great tips, higher floor is best. I will remember that! I know we will be at MK and Epcot. I expect only 1 trip to AK and one trip to MGM. Of course that could change when we get there =)

lorasmom
04-04-2007, 06:17 PM
i have to disagree with the previous poster. we returned last week from mk view 6th floor, and did not experience any of the disturbances they described. We were even on the chef mickey's side, so once outside the room, it was definately noisy!!
We booked cr for the monorail - we were travelling with a 6 mo old, and the monorail was a lifesaver! BUT, we did only visit MK and Epcot. When we visit AK in a few weeks, we'll be at AS SPORTS.

It is a freat resort - you'll love it!

slug
04-04-2007, 06:46 PM
ttc = transportation and ticket center. Where you'll switch to the Epcot Monorail.

Also, you can keep the price of the CR down is you get Standard rooms instead of Tower rooms. If you're not worried about price, then go with the tower MK view rooms. But for 2 rooms, there can be a substantial difference in price with the south wing rooms. We're doing MK view rooms this trip but in the past we've done standard rooms and been happy. Also, all the rooms have been renovated so the interior is the same in all the rooms.

I think for an elderly person and young kids, the location of the CR will be ideal for you.

Moonstorm
04-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Hey lorasmom!
I am happy to hear you didn't have any noise problems! Goes to show every person's experience is certainly different!
I have a feeling with 3 small kids and grandma it will certainly be a lifesaver!

Moonstorm
04-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi slug!
I am not too faamiliar with the rooms so I don't know at this point how to set everyone up. I would like my mom and grandma in one room and my hubby, my 3 kids, his mom and myself in one room. I think that's too many for one room though. I'll have to look into adjoining rooms as well.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
04-04-2007, 08:14 PM
The Contemporary is one of the best Resorts on WDW property. Where else can you have the best views of the Magic Kingdom, eat in three great restaurants like the California Grill, Chef Mickey's and the Concourse Steakhouse. Plus they have some great shops to look at and how cool is it that you can see the Express Monorail always going by on the 4th floor and having the Resort Monorail stop there so you can ride it whenever you want. Finally they have renovated all the rooms in the Tower and South Garden Wing and they look amaizing. I should also mention being able to watch Wishes every night is something any family should do when staying at there.

I disagree with zumbergc about the Contemporary being to far away from everything else and the transportation. If the Contemporary was not located where it is know you would not be that close to the Magic Kingdom, so not able to walk there.

As for the Monorail the only time my family and I take it is when going to Epcot and since the TTC is the next stop it's not that bad and if you get there when the Epcot Monorail is there then that's fantastic. If not then we wait however another Monorail is always on the way. We also take it to visit the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. Since we walk to the Magic Kingdom we take the Monorail back to the Contemporary since it's the very next stop which is great after a long day in the park. When it comes to the buses if we have to wait for them no big deal (expect for the DTD bus) and you got to remember it's the same at all the other Resorts if you miss one then you wait for the next one to arrive. We have found the ride to MGM and AK does not take forever and as for the child who peed nothing you can do about that and since they were in a wheelchair like you said, you should not complain about him because of an accident.

Finally a few years ago my family and I had a room on the 5th floor which was right over the Monorail so one floor lower then you were and it did not bother use at all. We never heard any noise because they were designed not to disturb guests in their rooms.

ParrotBill
04-04-2007, 08:27 PM
I can see that a really light sleeper might be disturbed by the monorail. I am somewhere in between a light and heavy sleeper. On the 7th floor the monorail did not bother us but the music from Chef Mickey's every 15 minutes did. We request a room toward the other end now if we are in the tower. Of course the south wing is super quiet.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
04-04-2007, 08:30 PM
On the 7th floor the monorail did not bother us but the music from Chef Mickey's every 15 minutes did.For the record the music at Chef Mickey's is every 30 minutes and only plays when they are open for breakfast and dinner. Also my family and I have had a room right above it or very close to it and we have had no problems with the music. In fact sometimes we go outside our room to hear the music because we like it that much.