PDA

View Full Version : Soarin in WDW refurb

goofymikepins07
04-03-2007, 10:53 PM
this is official while waiting inline to ride soarin i talked to a cast member and they said ride as much as you can becuase in i think august of 2007 the ride is changing to soarin of america:cheer2:

Horace Horsecollar
04-04-2007, 09:55 AM
this is official while waiting inline to ride soarin i talked to a cast member and they said ride as much as you can becuase in i think august of 2007 the ride is changing to soarin of america:cheer2:
It would be "official" if Disney announced such a change through a press release, media event, financial document, or other company communication. In the case of Soarin', there is clearly nothing official about a new film.

This sounds like a case of a cast member, who heard it from another cast member, who heard it from another cast member, who heard it from another cast member, who heard it from another cast member, who heard it from another cast member, who read it on the Internet... or something along those lines.

Disneybag
04-04-2007, 10:36 AM
the ride is changing to soarin of america:cheer2:

Wishful thinking on the CM's (and most everyone else's) part. That does seem to make the most sense though. "Let's tour California while we're in...Florida." Makes no sesne.

Florida has many areas to "soar" over...Everglades, Atlantic Ocean, Miami, the Gulf, the Keys, National forests, St. Augustine, Cape Canaveral, orange groves, cattle fields (wouldn't THAT be a great time for the smell spritz!), WDW...

But, that of course would mean spending money on creating a new film... Can't have that. I offer the World Showcase films as evidence.

Peter Pirate 2
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Soarin' over Florida would be the worst idea ever! What would we see? Swamps? Parking lots? Lots of tiny lakes? Housing developments? A murder or two over Orlando? Maybe a mugging over Miami? Perhaps we'd see a topless sunbather or two over South Beach but seriously no Soarin' Over Florida...Pleaspirate: e.

Lewisc
04-04-2007, 11:20 AM
More like a CM who heard it from a guest who heard it on the internet. I think we get better rumor then the CMs.

There was a rumor that Soarin was going to Euro Disney, with a new movie and that the new movie will also be shown in Florida. I thought it was something like Soarin over the world. I think the Euro-Disney Soaring rumor is old news, something like Jorney to the Center of the Earth is now the hot rumor (for Euro Disney)

This sounds like a case of a cast member, who heard it from another cast member, who heard it from another cast member, who heard it from another cast member, who heard it from another cast member, who heard it from another cast member, who read it on the Internet... or something along those lines.

1000th happy haunt
04-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Here's a link to a fan generated Soarin' Over Florida. There's more to see than swamps and parking lots. His footage was limited. I'd like to see a more recognizable city like Miami, and maybe a sunset at Key West. But I like his NASA footage.

Soarin' Over Florida (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x86FXNPNXDc)

Disneybag
04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Soarin' over Florida would be the worst idea ever! What would we see?

Read the post above yours. Florida has many sites that would make for a decent Soarin'. Also check out that link above. The Canaveral footage would be fantastic!

Florida isn't just what you hear about on the 11:00 news.

DisInsider
04-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Saying Florida has plenty of sights that would make a decent Soarin' film is not what people want to hear. A decent movie is not acceptable to Disney or it's fans. Soarin' over California is a great film because there are so many amazing sights in The Golden State. While I agree that it is hardly appropriate for WDW, a new film showcasing the U.S.A. or the World would be great. I can see this happening at some point in the future.

I totally agree that the "news" from a CM at the attraction is hardly such.

Peter Pirate 2
04-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I've lived here for 30 years and my kids are natives. This is one butt ugly state. :eek: The coast is pretty from above but the rest? fogeddaboutit. From above it looks lie exactly what it is...A giant swamp with lots of parking lots called roads.:lmao:

If they're going to make a new movie I seriously hope it is a Soarin' Over America where we can se real great footage like the Grand Canyon, NYC, The Rocky and Appalacian Mountains...Things much more pleasing to the eye...Although they could end with that fly over SoBe that I suggested.:thumbsup2
pirate:

raidermatt
04-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Confirmed rumor from cast member Bob aside...

As is always the case, the question is what would the BEST choice be, and given that other than in WDW, Florida's largest mountain is speed bump, I think they could do better.

Obviously Soarin' over the World could be great, since anything on the planet would qualify.

If they wanted another state, Hawaii would be about as cool as you could get. Volcanos, rainforest, huge waves, beaches, reefs, lava fields, canyons, huge waterfalls, pineapple fields, sugar cane fields, Honolulu, Pearl Harbor, etc.

No Disney park to promote of course, but maybe if they are going to open a DVC in Hawaii...

Disneybag
04-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I'd buy Soarin' Over America. I just can't see someone coming to Florida to watch a video of California or any other state.

And why the need for a mountain in the video?

YoHo
04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't think you'd need a mountain, but come on, Florida is a giant letdown in all major geographical respects compared to California.

rwodonnell
04-04-2007, 04:14 PM
I'd buy Soarin' Over America. I just can't see someone coming to Florida to watch a video of California or any other state.

They really don't sell it as Soarin over California. I'd be willing to bet that most guests don't realize all that footage is from California. It works fine as is right now. The film has a number of diverse uses of the Land, and it fits the theme of the pavilion reasonably well, better than I expected it to when I first heard about it.

How about even a hill? A grassy knoll? Seriously, mountains are among the most dramatic landscape elements, and some of the best scenes in the current film are when you soar over the crest of the hills or mountains. It's hard for me to imagine how any film without mountains would not be a step backward.

thefirebuilds
04-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Soarin' over Florida would be the worst idea ever! What would we see? Swamps? Parking lots? Lots of tiny lakes? Housing developments? A murder or two over Orlando? Maybe a mugging over Miami? Perhaps we'd see a topless sunbather or two over South Beach but seriously no Soarin' Over Florida...Pleaspirate: e.

If you squint real hard you can see the wand. Besides the keys and The Mouse what else has Florida done for us!

Peter Pirate 2
04-04-2007, 05:54 PM
I live in the Keys's and it ain't what it used to be either...Unless you like polluted near shore water, traffic, retirees and condos, condos, condos! But seeing the wand and maybe the hat would be something I guess.:)
pirate:

raidermatt
04-04-2007, 05:55 PM

Not an absolute necessity I guess, but think about the prominent role they play in some pretty dramatic shots in Soarin' now. It would be tough to justify a film of just flatlands being the best choice.

I still think the best use of this attraction would be to run multiple films at the same time. I believe there's two theaters, so keep the current version in one, and put a different version in the other.

Now you've got 2 attractions for the price of 1.5 (or less).

Same could be done with Star Tours, btw. (assuming they could ever actually come to an agreement with Lucas to make any kind of new film in the first place)

thefirebuilds
04-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Unless you like polluted near shore water

Are you kidding? I live north of Chicago, I love it! :cool1: :lmao:

Rence
04-04-2007, 06:46 PM
I believe that I read somewhere that when they were first putting in Soarin that the idea was to use the California film initially but then do a Soarin across America film at some point in the future. Never really heard a time frame and it could have just been blue-sky talk.

As for the rumor - we all know from past experience that it isn't real until someone hears it from a bus driver.

raidermatt
04-04-2007, 06:53 PM
As far as the rumor goes, I would actually be very surprised if they changed out the film while the attraction is still as popular as it is. If they didn't see a need to put in a new film before they opened it in Florida in the first place, I don't understand why they would do it when it still has 60+ minute wait times.

YoHo
04-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Are you kidding? I live north of Chicago, I love it! :cool1: :lmao:

pffft.

Like Chicago pollution gets anywhere near you.

We send that "stuff" to St. Louis (and they send it back as Budweiser).

I do love the no swim warnings on days when they have to open the Chicago River locks though.

doconeill
04-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Why is it always the accounts with the low post counts??

I've got an urge to open another account and post something like:

I got this straight from a CM in the restroom at Epcot who says he runs all of Disney! Disneyquest closes tomorrow, the Contemporary Resort Villas would go on sale Monday except they are already sold out, and Sorceror Mickey's hat at the Studios is going to be replaced by a colossal statue of Harry Potter and the Great Movie Ride is going to be a ride in a Ford Anglia over the English countryside!!!! OMG!

Oh, and Jim Hill is really Walt Disney's disowned twin brother, and Walt himself is buried outside the Haunted Mansion!

Did I forget anything?

Vemnox
04-04-2007, 07:03 PM
There is absolutely no truth to this "rumor." Whatever CM told you that just said it to get your gears turning. Why would they fix what isn't broke?

YoHo
04-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Turkey legs are really emu, Confirm/Deny?

doconeill
04-04-2007, 07:36 PM

Oh, he told me that too!! Actually, they are genetically engineered monsterous things that have 8 legs each, which provides more legs per unit. John Madden managed to steal a pair and breed them, and he uses them for the Thanksgiving football games.

;)

EUROPACL
04-04-2007, 07:40 PM

Confirm, why do you think AK is so large...to save money Esiner had them put in a secret Emu ranch hidden from guest. The Emu ranch is was code named Beastly Kingdom.

I got this information directly from one of my towel pets that the maid left for me.....the really freaky part is that the towel was in the shape of an Emu.*

* Disclaimer: This may be a dream I had while wacked out on cough syrup and mouthwash.

LucyStorm
04-04-2007, 08:16 PM
hmmmm.....production of many fruit and vegetable crops, high producer of cattle....

We have hills, cowboys, and lots of horses up here in Citrus County.....oh, yes, and manatees.....

Couldn't you see Soarin' following a pod of dolphins?

YoHo
04-04-2007, 08:32 PM
They can do that in California. Along with Whales. California is also the largest Dairy producer in the country and a producer of beef cattle. clearly someone in the editing room felt that mountains were better then cows.

wildviper
04-05-2007, 12:14 AM
My family loves Soarin. Our first reaction after our first ride on it: "Now they need to make a film called Soarin America!"

Thinking about a Soaring America reminds me of the days when local television would sign off for the night. They usually ended with the National Anthem or God Bless America playing while showing a patriotic montage. My local ABC affiliate would play the national anthem and show a film that reminds me of Soarin. Obviously shot in a helicopter, the scenes would change and try to include icons across America ending with a shot of the Statue of Liberty.

flyinglizard
04-05-2007, 12:43 AM
WOW! I was impressed with the effort somebody made to produce the clip! I was amazed it was so good, but the music would make even our flat land interesting.

Yeah, "Soarin" Over America" would be the way to go even if they included the mountains of Clermont!

Disneybag
04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
They can do that in California. Along with Whales. California is also the largest Dairy producer in the country and a producer of beef cattle. clearly someone in the editing room felt that mountains were better then cows.

Well, of course anyone (save a cattle rancher) would pick mountains over cows. California has mountains, so use them! My main beef (pun not intended) is that the movie in Florida is California. And if the tourists don't know it's California (especially since they name the locations on the screen in the queue) then well...stereotypical tourists, I guess...

DVCconvert
04-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I've lived here for 30 years and my kids are natives. This is one butt ugly state. :eek: The coast is pretty from above but the rest? fogeddaboutit. From above it looks lie exactly what it is...A giant swamp with lots of parking lots called roads.:lmao:

Please 'save yourself' and move to Wyoming for a year -- I'd suggest a town named Pinedale -- report back 1 year later and let us know how much more wonderful your experience is - Thanks! :)

:rotfl2:

YoHo
04-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Wyoming is pretty scenic in it's own way and I don't just mean Yellowstone.

Sherman Hill west of Cheyenne is pretty amazing.

It'd be amazing to see the march of goods moving across the Transcon, or the endless coal trains moving out of the Powder River Basin.

mickeyfantroy
04-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Here's a link to a fan generated Soarin' Over Florida. There's more to see than swamps and parking lots. His footage was limited. I'd like to see a more recognizable city like Miami, and maybe a sunset at Key West. But I like his NASA footage.

Soarin' Over Florida (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x86FXNPNXDc)
I loved the opening scene with Sunshine Skyway Bridge at sunset!

Peter Pirate 2
04-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Well that Soarin' Over Florida video is nice and all but nothing is spectacular or particularily unique to Florida. A big bridge but not one that is really historic, nice beaches but they're everywhere, water and boat shots, eh, the glades and the estuary waterways are serene and pretty but spectacular? Further it seems the whole point is the hangliding aspect and I can't see how that effect (the swooping & vistas) could be even remotely exciting.

While that's a real nice video I stand by my statement that Florida is butt ugly (Pinedale, WY notwithstanding) and I hope Disney will take the trip to the limit (in all of America or maybe the world) with their next effort.
pirate:

perdidochas
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Everglades, manatees, some of our clear rivers/streams/springs, Miami architecture, light houses, surfing beaches, orange groves, all 4 Disney parks, The Disney Cruiselines, The Keys

Disneybag
04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Everglades, manatees, some of our clear rivers/streams/springs, Miami architecture, light houses, surfing beaches, orange groves, all 4 Disney parks, The Disney Cruiselines, The Keys

Don't bother. It's a tough room. :)

Barbers2005
04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Dh and I both were a bit disappointed in this ride after all the hype it received. We both thought the movie was a little ho-hum and regretted waiting in line for it. I would really love to see something more exotic. An international soarin would be really cool, and even a soarin across america would be better than what they have now (Grand Canyon, anyone?).

raidermatt
04-06-2007, 02:01 PM

I'm sure this could be done very well. I'll just go back to the point that if/when they do a new film, they need to go with the BEST choice, and I can't go along with Florida being the best choice as a subject.

Not that California was either, but CA does have a greater variance in topography and features.

JohnZ46
04-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Given Epcot's international theme, Soarin' over the World would be more appropriate.

I was actually surprised when I found out that Soarin' used the same footage as the CA version. Like taking "over California" out of the name makes any sort of difference. I mean the end of the film brings you to DisneyLand even though you're watching it at WDW?!?!

Seriously, could they really not scrape up enough cash to shoot new footage? :confused:

plutospup
04-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Hmmm...Didn't they have something like "Soarin Over America" where Timekeeper used to be? Couldn't you see some Disney exec trying to use this film at Soarin!

DC7800
04-08-2007, 07:42 PM
While (seriously) it has nothing to do with Soarin', I actually wouldn't mind seeing some of those old Circlevision 360 films again. While it might not comprise a regularly operating attraction (back for a limited engagement, etc.), it should prove interesting to most theme park guests.

C50T
04-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Soarin' over Arkansas - anyone?
:rotfl2:

ssonley
04-09-2007, 12:20 PM
do a soarin' Florida version?

The whole idea was that you were hang gliding - which is pretty hard to do without any mountains...
Ok, so some of the scenes in the California version are a little unbelievable for a hang glider as well, but at least the concept is possible...

Just my $0.02

paulh
04-09-2007, 04:53 PM
My family loves Soarin. Our first reaction after our first ride on it: "Now they need to make a film called Soarin America!"

You must be the CM op overheard
Paulh

Uncleromulus
04-10-2007, 05:31 AM
plutospup::
I remember that film very well. As I recall, they were supposed to shoot a brand new "America" film but never got around to it for some reason. Something like that for Soarin would be perfect. And maybe they could add a couple extra minutes to Soarin?? It's a pretty short trip.

BriarRabbit
04-10-2007, 02:38 PM
If they ever change Soarin' then I hope they go hi-def with the new film.

YoHo
04-10-2007, 02:47 PM
I thought the Film was an Imax/Omnimax film?

The screen is just an omnimax screen turned on it's side.

adabob
04-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I also heard a soarin over florida
maybe already said