PDA

View Full Version : That Darn Harry Potter Rumor

MJMcBride
04-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Not this again. Here's an article from mouse extra and the mousevine deal

http://www.mouseextra.com/category/mouse-whispers/

http://www.mousevine.com/article.php/ears_to_the_ground/plane_predicts_potter%27s_place%3F/01.html

I hate this time of the year

ASilmser
04-02-2007, 09:03 PM
OH NO!!

New, from Walt Disney Studios (okay, maybe Touchstone):

Business Snakes on a Plane!!

Sounds interesting, but, as with all rumors on this page, I will believe it when I see it.

I am waiting for this news flash;

"Disney to Open Massive Texas Theme Park with the Name Beastly Kingdom. Harry Potter Dragon Coaster to be Signature Attraction, along with a pirate themed hotel, a new Disney Vacation Club Resort, and countries similar to EPCOT--except this park will have Australia, Spain, Russia, India, and Kenya.

They would single handedly shut down this board--and I would have no excuse to procrastinate and actually get something done on my computer!

All kidding aside, It's interesting to speculate where they might locate a Harry Potter themed attraction/land. I could see this going in a Beastly Kingdom, or at the MGM studios. On the other hand, I don't see it as a perfect fit. The Harry Potter Franchise is a bit edgier than what Disney is used to featuring in its Theme Parks. The only possible exception is the inclusion of the POC Movies, but that inclusion is pretty watered-down for the kiddies.

Then there's the question of some on the religious-right. Many people who think Harry Potter is the spawn of Satan himself (they somehow think that Harry Potter might spawn a generation of wizards and witches). That may not stop Disney, but they WILL have to consider it.

raidermatt
04-03-2007, 01:16 AM
If Disney is willing to put Ellen, Aerosmith and the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the parks, I don't think they'd worry too much about backlash over Harry Potter.

ASilmser
04-03-2007, 09:22 AM
If Disney is willing to put Ellen, Aerosmith and the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the parks, I don't think they'd worry too much about backlash over Harry Potter.

I agree--to a point. All those people you mention were featured in a pretty tame manner. Harry Potter is a wizard, and that's what people object to. I don't see them successfully downplaying that aspect of him. I also don't think Disney should back down, but I think the bigger issue is the overall edge of the franchise.

Some would say that Disney attractions need an edgier theme to appeal to the teen/young adult crowd, but others may object. I guess my original point was that HP would be good fit for Disney, but it's not a perfect fit. They--and their regular guests--may have to adjust a bit.

Disneybag
04-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Harry Potter is a wizard, and that's what people object to.

Sorcerer Mickey? Fairy Godmother? Merlin? Madame Mim? Maleficient telling Prince Philip he'll have to deal with her and "all the powers of hell?" Disney has a long history with that sort of thing...

People objected to Ellen because she was gay. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been known to perform wearing nothing but socks covering their...instruments...

The people that would be overjoyed to have Harry Potter's universe accessible to them in theme park-form... the protesters would be tiny blips on the radar.

Just my thought...

Dznefreek
04-03-2007, 03:31 PM
There is also a strong rumor that US has already aquired the rights and it is code named "Project Strongarm" and work has begun at IOA to change The Lost Continent to some sort of Potter area with the first ride to feature the flying car using robotic arms that will move along a coaster type track.

MJMcBride
04-03-2007, 07:02 PM

what are you trying to say about Aerosmith?:cool2:

Grumpy_Disney_Dad
04-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Sorcerer Mickey? Fairy Godmother? Merlin? Madame Mim? Maleficient telling Prince Philip he'll have to deal with her and "all the powers of hell?" Disney has a long history with that sort of thing...

People objected to Ellen because she was gay. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been known to perform wearing nothing but socks covering their...instruments...

The people that would be overjoyed to have Harry Potter's universe accessible to them in theme park-form... the protesters would be tiny blips on the radar.

Just my thought...

Don't forget Anglea Lansbury as a witch in Bedknobs and Broomsticks Onthe quest for the pentagram. I always knew she was the devil in disguise

Disneybag
04-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Good call on Ms. Price!
And let's not forget Lindsay Lohan...who is obviously the spawn of Satan.

Grumpy_Disney_Dad
04-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Good call on Ms. Price!
And let's not forget Lindsay Lohan...who is obviously the spawn of Satan.

Does that mean Linsday Lohan is the love child of Angela Lansbury and Lorenzo Lamas?

lillasmom
04-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Just my thought...

Amen!

popcorn::

erikthewise
04-04-2007, 02:59 PM
In my weaker moments I hope Universal gets Harry Potter. They are struggling (see theme park attendance thread) and it doesn't benefit anyone (except Disney shareholders) for them to go down the tube.

But I certainly would not complain about Disney getting the rights either! :thumbsup2

wildviper
04-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Personally, I don't think US could do any Potter ride/park/land justice. Walt Disney built the theme park industry. This legacy is what keeps the Imaginears on the forefront of innovation. At US, keeping up with the Disney company is what motivates them. I hope JK Rowling understands the difference and chooses wisely.

raidermatt
04-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Personally, I don't think US could do any Potter ride/park/land justice.

I haven't been to USF, but its my understanding they did a heckuva job with Spiderman. Some say Disney still hasn't matched it.

It seems that if US has the resources, they can do fine. I doubt they will spend what it takes for the rights to Potter and then cheap out on whatever they build.

I have no desire to see a Potter attraction, land, meet n greet, or anything else in any theme park, but that's just a personal preference.

Disneybag
04-05-2007, 07:01 AM
I don't like the Potter idea because I'd hate to see an entire land devoted to one series of films. Same thing with the Narnia rumor/pipedream. I wouldn't mind a top-notch attraction though... With most of the recent attractions though, I'll probably have to settle for "decent."

And yes, Spiderman is quite choice.

ChrisFL
04-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Personally, I don't think US could do any Potter ride/park/land justice. Walt Disney built the theme park industry. This legacy is what keeps the Imaginears on the forefront of innovation. At US, keeping up with the Disney company is what motivates them. I hope JK Rowling understands the difference and chooses wisely.

Have you ever been to a Universal park? More specifically IOA? I think it would be clear to anyone who's visited there that they have all of the talent to pull off a Harry Potter themed area. Don't forget that many of the Universal Creative employees were laid off Imagineers to begin with.

Disneybag
04-05-2007, 08:24 AM
I absolutely agree.
Aside from the obnoxiously loud music, IOA is VERY VERY well-themed. With a little tweaking, they could easily transform The Lost Continent into a Potter area (though part of the reason I like TLC so much is that is has nothing to do with anything.) But, it could be done.

MJMcBride
04-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I haven't been to USF,

apparently nobody goes

YoHo
04-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Which imagineers? The ones that were fired and went to work for Universal and made IOA? Or the accountants that cut POs for off the shelf wild mouse coasters?

That's a magically magical purchasing request you go there Bob.

aepecoraro
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I dont like the Potter idea..Disney has brought in Pixar..But it was still able to keep it Disney[ish]. Harry Potter is not something I picture at WDW..

YoHo
04-05-2007, 11:36 PM
As opposed the the Black Cauldron? Or Maleficent, etc etc etc.

jimmytammy
04-06-2007, 06:42 AM
My kids would love to see a HP themed attraction at WDW.

MJMcBride
04-06-2007, 07:59 AM
I would love to see a haunted mansion style Hogwarts attraction. Make it kind of scary

rantnnravin
04-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I would love to see a haunted mansion style Hogwarts attraction. Make it kind of scary

yeah the scary part would be the Hogwart's retrofit on the Haunted Mansion :scared1:

MJMcBride
04-06-2007, 08:07 AM
That would be scary, especially to the Element. But anywho, I was thinking more of an attraction at MGM.

raidermatt
04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
I think the fear over that would extend well beyond the Element.

My daughter would love to see a Curious George themed park.

My son would love to see a Pokemon themed park.

rwrocksme
04-06-2007, 11:41 AM
I (and I hve followed Harry's adventures since the beggining, so I would know) think that Disney should get the rights. Then they could replace the hideous Great Movie Ride with a Potter attraction, perhaps in the style of Soarin! (they couldn't do a coaster--the ride would need to be family friendly).

rantnnravin
04-06-2007, 12:32 PM
That would be scary, especially to the Element. But anywho, I was thinking more of an attraction at MGM.

oh i know
i was just thinking like corporate: what's cheap and easy?

AKLforever
04-13-2007, 10:01 PM
texas? why on earth would they build it in texas? They would make so much more if they did it near the other parks in orlando. I wouldnt go to texas for just one park when I could have 4 parks, and much more in orlando, lol. That cant be true.

marconat
04-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Have you ever been to a Universal park? More specifically IOA? I think it would be clear to anyone who's visited there that they have all of the talent to pull off a Harry Potter themed area. Don't forget that many of the Universal Creative employees were laid off Imagineers to begin with.

I took the time this year to go to IOA and US... and I have to say that I went in a few rides that was far better than the ones in Disney...
Spiderman is amazing, the best 3D motion ride,
Men in black was a lot of fun... and my kids loved it over Buzz in WDW
JP is also amazing...
They could do something great with Harry Potter...

Don't get me wrong, I love Disney... I'm just afraid that if they do get it, they'll stay safe with it and turn it into something kiddy.
Whatever the outcome, I can't wait to see what happens.

lassiem1127
04-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Looks like US....

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/exclusive-plans-for-worlds-first-harry-potter-theme-park/

Dznefreek
04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
It was announced on the local news this a.m. that USF will be devoting "unused land" at USF for the attraction. The other rumors were transforming the LC area at IOA.

ChrisFL
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
It was announced on the local news this a.m. that USF will be devoting "unused land" at USF for the attraction. The other rumors were transforming the LC area at IOA.

hmm, although I'm excited that it was reported on the local news, I've seen them use rumor material before and report it. Did they have any confirmation from any US employees or a press release?

Amity 3
04-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Universal hasn't even issued a press release on the attraction that's replacing Back to the Future, and construction is well on the way.

RainbowsMist
04-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I think the fear over that would extend well beyond the Element.

My daughter would love to see a Curious George themed park.

My son would love to see a Pokemon themed park.

Just an FYI but US has a section called "Curious George Goes To Town" it's a water play area. My daughter had a blast this past visit. Although I didn't trying to take her out of it :sad2:

GhillieGirlBelle1987
04-17-2007, 10:45 AM
I dont know about this theme park business jkr has been debunking these rumors for a couple of years, I cant see how a park could decide on building a harry potter themed area unless they have received information on harry's fate at the end of book 7? I mean would they build a park around a wizard who dies. All speculation but think about. Slightly ot and sorry about the rant.

ChrisFL
04-17-2007, 11:10 AM
I dont know about this theme park business jkr has been debunking these rumors for a couple of years, I cant see how a park could decide on building a harry potter themed area unless they have received information on harry's fate at the end of book 7? I mean would they build a park around a wizard who dies. All speculation but think about. Slightly ot and sorry about the rant.

I'm sure with the last book only 2 months away that Universal knows what is going to be in the final book if the fate of HP is already written.

Either way, I'm sure there's other attractions that have been made where a character is alive since you're re-telling an existing story in an attraction much of the time.