PDA

View Full Version : Securing wheelchair while on rides

JenDisneylandlver
04-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Last time we took my brother to DL he was able to do some walking, so we had rented a wheelchair while in the parks. Well this time he's going to need a wheelchair full time for both inside and outside the parks. We've gotten a light weight one that's gonna fit in the van for the drive down.

Like some of the stories I've heard about strollers just "walking" away while everyone was on rides, I'm concerned someone will take the wheelchair while were on a ride. My Mom wants to pad lock it to something, I'm not even sure they'd allow that! Not to mention it would be a pain in the butt. But if it's the only way to make sure we still have a wheel chair I'm considering it. Anyone else ever have someone there with their own wheel chair, with this concern?

Hate to even think someone could even do that, but honestly I can see some people thinking it would be fun so they could get ahead of people in line.

hlbtimes2
04-01-2007, 05:49 PM
For a lot of rides you'll be able to enter through the exit or HC enterance. Your wheel chair will be kept right there while you ride. I've never heard of it being a problem. If you think you are going to want to leave it now and then, I would bring a cable lock/ bike lock. DONT lock it to something. Just run the lock through the wheel and lock it to itself. It will make it easy for the staff to move it if needed, but no one will be able to use it to get far!

When you get to the park go to city hall and ask for a special pass. They'll tell you how to use it and on what rides.

Amy&Dan
04-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes, I agree with Linda, many of the rides you will enter through the exit (and please note, this doesn't equate to getting on quicker and I know because I have done this numerous times with my disabled fil) and the chair will be secure there. I also agree that you should not try to lock it to something, if a cm sees that they will not allow it since thats against the rules. But I don't think its a problem to lock it within itself. I cannot imagine someone stealing a chair but then again I cannot imagine people doing alot of the things they do! I would definitely put my name on it somewhere to identify it as your own.

Definitely check out the disablities board to learn more about the Guest Assistance Card (GAC) and other tips. I know there are people over there who take their chairs to WDW and DL and can give you tips on keeping your chair secure to put your mind at ease!

Adi12982
04-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I do not know about DL, but I know about WDW and my brother is in a wheelchair. In the 23 years he has been alive we have never had any issues with a wheelchair being taken - for the first time this Christmas we took his electric wheelchair (Cost us nothing, but he only gets one every 5 years and cost his medical provider over $30,000). We were a bit co ncerend - especially with a super busy park. . . . but it was fine for an entire week. Most places only teh CM's handle it after you leave it and keep it near them (at least at WDW, but people on here seem to be saying the same), so I believe you will be ok.

JenDisneylandlver
04-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Great idea locking it "to itself" didn't think of that! I know I didn't like the idea of locking it to anything else, I didn't think it was allowed either. I just know we'd be stuck up a creek without a paddle if it got taken. He can walk very very short distances and that's about it.

I remember some (like Peter Pan and Pirates) had you leave it by the exit, so I wasn't too worried about those. I was trying to think of any other ones where it might be by the exit but more "out in the open" where someone could easily walk away with it. But I'm gonna have to fool around with it and see if I can lock itself in a way where the wheel won't roll. That would be perfect.

Also good idea about putting his name on it. I'm trying to remember what they gave us last time. My Mom went in and talked to them at City Hall, I'm pretty sure they gave her something. But I'll go check all of that out too! Thanks again! :)