PDA

View Full Version : AAA Members, 2002 cruises, Free Mugs/Soda on cruises

rcdisneyfam
12-29-2001, 01:56 PM
Read in the AAA advertisement paper and our AAA Travel Agent called to tell us that all AAA members will get mugs for soda refills free as a perk for being a AAA member. Sounds great to us.

LOVETHATMOUSE
12-29-2001, 02:19 PM
please say this is true!!!! Is this offer for one per family, or everyone? Do you have to book the trip through AAA to be eligible?

CamColt
12-29-2001, 02:33 PM
Wow! I have the same question as LoveThat Mouse...do you have to book through them, or just be a memeber?

cruzin22
12-29-2001, 02:35 PM
I believe you need to be booked through AAA, at least that is what the AAA newspaper said and our travel agent called to tell us we were eligible for it. Don't know if it is 1 mug per person in the room or not.

lucyk
12-29-2001, 02:48 PM
We booked through AAA and received a $100. discount (origionally we booked direct with DCL, AAA agent just "transfered" the reservation, gave us the $100 discount, plus got us $1500 off for the SunShine Sail-a-way! Love our TA).
The documentation from AAA says each member of our party gets a soda mug.

LucyK

LOVETHATMOUSE
12-29-2001, 04:05 PM
oh well, we didn't book through AAA, so I guess the free mugs are a bust :(

prymsu
12-29-2001, 04:56 PM
Booked through AAA, and we also get a hundred dollar ship board credit, as well as some discount card for one of the shops on board, and a seventy five dollar rebate once travel begins...

bobcat
12-29-2001, 05:33 PM
Anyone know if this is limited to certain travel times? I am thinking of booking a cruise for next Jan.

pallamb
12-29-2001, 09:49 PM
I saw this article in the AAA Magazine and asked my TA if we would receive mugs even though we booked back in June. She said she believed we could. Are these mugs going to be in our staterooms when we arrive or does the TA give them to us before the cruise? If we don't receive them until we board the ship I wonder if my docs from AAA will have to state that we will be getting the free mugs.

Patty

:earsgirl:

marcirp
12-29-2001, 11:38 PM
I got my tickets for the Jan 19 7 day cruise and in the package of ticket stuff (what IS the proper name!? lol) there is a page for the free mug.
I am thrilled to get that. With 5 people and all soda drinkers, it can get really expensive.
I don't think you use them for dinner, though. RIght?

pallamb
12-29-2001, 11:52 PM
The proper name is documents or as the DISers call them docs. lol. I can't wait to get mine. You must be so excited! I don't think you'll need the mug for dinner because the sodas are free there. Unfortunately liquor drinks aren't free. When I see my TA I'm going to make sure she contacted DCL so I get these mugs. My husband drinks tons of soda so it will definately be worth it.

Patty
:earsgirl:

TinkerKat
12-30-2001, 12:28 AM
Soda isn't free on this cruise?

This is only my second cruise and the first one was all inclusive.
That meant everything!

So this soda mug post has me confused?
You get free soda at dinner but not throughout the day?
Why?
I could see liquor not being free.
But Juice, milk, soda? Or am I reading this wrong.
Thanks! Kathy

kshabare
12-30-2001, 07:10 AM
TinkerKat,

We really didn't notice the charge for the soda all that much but I guess because we were newbies too. You get your soda at mealtime and it is of no charge. Off mealtimes you can get beverages at a cost and even find a water cooler on the top deck at no charge. We found it helpful to keep hydrated w/water at first. We sent an email to our TA to ask about mugs for all 11 of us. We're wondering what the outcome will be. I'll post tomorrow with our response.

Keep those perks coming!!!!

Thank rcdisneyfam for sharing your perk with us!!

Kim

prymsu
12-30-2001, 09:48 AM
She indicated that the mugs and the discount card would be in our stateroom on the day we arrive...

inkkognito
12-30-2001, 09:51 AM
TinkerKat, milk and juice are free. It's just soda that you have to pay for (and only when it's not at a meal in the main diningrooms). Coffee and tea are always free, too. You can get these beverages from room service, and some of them are available at the drink station on deck 9.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.*****************

rcdisneyfam
12-30-2001, 12:57 PM
Glad to hear this thread is getting some attention. We have 12 people sailing on June 22 cruise, 7 day to the Western Caribbean, our 3rd cruise, not as many as "Inkognito", though, and having that page in the documents book will be great. We have 2 teens in our family and 4 more teens with the two other families going with us, you know how those teens like their soda. Although, we are "Pepsi" drinkers, DH works for Pepsi here, we will drink plenty of soda anyway and knowing it is included in our cruise package is a plus. Glad to hear everyone is thrilled about this "Perk"!!!

winnyis
12-30-2001, 02:45 PM
I booked my 8/31/02 cruise directly thru DCL using the recent rebooking offer that ended on 12/5. Since I have AAA they said I can transfer my reservation to AAA which will entitle me to the 4 free soda mugs - great deal. Plus they said I will still keep my fantastic rate, onboard credit and CC gift. This is a great deal - It will save us from lugging our own soda this time. Now there more room for the "adult beverages"!!!

Im off to AAA Travel Agency in the morning

Ginny

9/1/01 Eastern Magic
8/31/02 Western Magic

TinkerKat
12-30-2001, 07:24 PM
Thanks Barb, for clearing it up. So here's the other question
if you aren't entitled to free soda mug.. what is the cost for the refillable one?
6 days and counting!

Kathy

Cruise
12-30-2001, 08:20 PM
The mugs are $5 per day. On a 7 day cruise, they're $35. You don't get a discounted rate for buying later in the cruise, however. It's $35 no matter what day you buy it.

Hope this helps,
Julie

kshabare
01-02-2002, 06:40 PM
We called our TA @ AAA today and she said we ALL get a mug. Even though we booked last December she said we qualify. That means all 11 of are getting the mugs!!! Add up that savings and the fact we all get a souvenier!!! Yipee. 38 days and counting.

Kim šOš

Woods
01-02-2002, 07:03 PM
Does this go for Disney Dreams Unlimited? I booked through them but I have a AAA card. Do I get the free mugs?
Thanks!
Debra

pallamb
01-02-2002, 10:34 PM
The cruise has to be booked thru AAA. My AAA TA called DCL today and was told DCL will put the mugs in our stateroom because they'll see on our records that we are booked thru the AAA. I booked last June for our October 2002 cruise.

Patty :earsgirl:

DisneyPoly
01-03-2002, 08:30 AM
I just spoke with AAA re: cruising on May 5th-- they are canceling my ressies made through DCL, since I just made them last week and haven't sent the money yet. If you book in January with AAA you get a $100 shipboard credit, in addition to one free mug for each guest, and 10% off the Treasurer Ketch store (if you spend $75); a Platinum card which will get you 10% off some activities while in WDW and 10% off rental at Castaway Cay. Not a bad deal!!

I was a little concerned at first because I wanted to take advantage of the $99 Dolphin, and my TA was unfamiliar with it and thought I would have to book a Category 4-7 to take advantage, but after checking into it, I can stay with my two "10" rooms.

Cruising here we come!

PaisleyPie
01-20-2002, 08:44 PM
My AAA TA didn't know anything about the $100 credit. She did confirm the free mugs and said they would bein my stateroom. Can I refer her to a particular issue of AAA magazine? IS the offer valid for 3 night cruises in May?

prymsu
01-21-2002, 06:28 AM
We sailed 1/5/02, and we had to go to guest services for the mugs. My AAA TA said there would be three - one per person on the trip, and they would only give us one, as well as a $50 credit. It took them three days to check into this, and then they corrected the mistake. Also, we never got the discount card that was advertised for 10 percent in the shops. It was a big hassle...

This was advertised in the Disney Cruise catalog that had a special AAA member benefits cover attached.

duskysmom
01-21-2002, 08:36 AM
We just got back....the mugs were not in our room, and we had no coupon. I went down to customer service and they gave me 4 small coupons to take to any bar to get them. Seems the bars were keeping lists of who got them and how many. Small inconvenience for a nice souvenier:D

sbrownell
01-21-2002, 11:41 AM
Just call AAA and they rebooked my room with a $100 ship board credit and free soda mugs for all. I had already booked and paid the deposit for an 10/20/02 cruise/land package. Thank you one and all for sharing. Love this board.

bizybea
01-21-2002, 02:14 PM
sbrownell~I booked thru AAA last July for an 8/2002 sailing and paid the deposit. I just went to my TA last week for the 2002 benefits and I was told that if I wanted the $100 shipboard credit that I would have to rebook, which consequently meant that I would have to pay more, considering that I would lose my early booking discount. Did you have to pay more? I REALLY want a shipboard credit if I am eligible, but I don't want to pay more for my cruise to get it! When did you first book your cruise? TIA!

Girls Scout Leader
01-21-2002, 02:41 PM
Please...please...please.... let there be a deal like this when we sail....June 2004. Going with 15 people that could be a great extra. We have AAA....hope they will have the offer again!!!

sbrownell
01-21-2002, 02:56 PM
thanks for the info. Just called AAA and they rebooked my already booked vacation. They gave us the same rate and $100 ship credit as well as the free soda mugs. I have become very addicted to this board. I'm glad it paid off.

Thanks again.

KimDisFan
01-21-2002, 06:08 PM
I want to be clear on this before I call my TA. Is the $100 on board credit, if you booked your cruise in Jan 2002. We changed weeks a couple of weeks ago, and they made us rebook (we are going on the AAA 6/22 cruise), so I will need to check to see if we will get the on board credit. Every $ counts.

rcdisneyfam
01-21-2002, 07:07 PM
KimDisFan: I would check to see if you get the $100 shipboard credit. Also, we are going on the 6/22 7 day cruise. Feel free to email us. Have done the 4 day and 7 day already. Search for the 6/22/02 cruise and who's going, Keener cam started the thread. Join us in our 6/22 families. Good luck rebooking and getting the mugs.

HarrietSLP
01-21-2002, 07:30 PM
Is ice tea freely available on the ship or does this cost extra too?

Harriet in East TN
DVC Member '96
Taking DVC Anniversary Cruise 4/7-4/11

Dave_from_Marietta
01-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by HarrietSLP

Is ice tea freely available on the ship or does this cost extra too?

Iced Tea is available in the dining rooms, but it's not all that great... it's the soda fountain variety. Your best best is to make iced tea up at the Deck 9 beverage station using their hot water, tea bags, and ice.

HarrietSLP
01-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Oh dear! Disney has really got the noose around my neck <g>
Since my two bad vices are drinking too much Diet Coke and/or ice tea, then it looks like I have no choice but to buy the soda mug....that is...unless I can kick my addiction before the April cruise. :)

Harriet in East TN
DVC Member '96
Sailing on the DVC Anniversary Cruise 4/7-4/11