manning
03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
next year in the form of

AQUATICA

Here is a preview.

http://www.aquaticabyseaworld.com/

Disneybag
03-29-2007, 07:46 AM
I work right across the street and head up to our top floor every couple days to take a look at what's going on. The slides (though hideous colors) look very impressive.
Traffic in the area is really going to blow.

Tinks1984
03-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Does it look anything like it's on course for a March 2008 opening date? Just I've read this will be the approx. time, which would be great, as we're heading over there in April 08! :banana:

Disneybag
03-30-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm surprised at how quickly things are going up. With the amount of construction going in and out of that place, it should be pretty close to completion by then. If I remember, I'll have to bring my camera to work so I can get some photos of the construction.

Tinks1984
03-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Oh that would be awsome! :) I'd love to see were things are up too!

kjkcool
03-30-2007, 07:07 PM
It looks amazing!Disney does have major competition,when it comes to waterparks at least.

Mickey1122
03-31-2007, 08:36 AM
I don't see it as that much of a threat to TL and BB. A lot of people who stay onsite don't have a car, and will therefore use the Disney transportation to use plus features they alreads have. I'm also sure lots of offsite people want the 'full Disney experience.'

Peter Pirate 2
04-02-2007, 10:25 AM
There is little reason to believe that Aquatica won't be better than BB, TL or WnW. It's the latest and part of the Sea World plan that is obviously attempting to solidify a specific portion of the vacation market.

Sea World is a great park for those who enjoy the shows, the sea life, a couple of rides and theme park life at a slower pace. It's more like AK than MK and nothing like USO's hustle and bustle. I was there this weekend and will return soon.

Sea World also has Discovery Cove which is doing very well and with that totally new concept of a park they one-upped Disney (i.e beat them to the punch in innovation and execution).

Now they are opening the third park, a water park to put them and their adjoning hotels in an enviable position of being a multi day vacation destination. Add to that the ease that they allow you to visit Bush Gardens and viola, Disney with it's recent history of unimaginative and predictable growth (IMO) has allowed a serious competetor with deep pockets back into the game.

Now if only NBC would start caring about Universal then we'd really get the ball rolling again (competition is good for us guests).
pirate:

doubletrouble_vb
04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Disney may have more to worry about than one might think. Sure the plus passes already cover the water parks. And the water parks and Disney Quest represent the best use of those passes (from a dollars point of view). However Disney is currently selling the plus passes as an add on and this new park will be solid competition for local dollars. Beyond that Sea World sits in the midst of timeshares and hotels. All those people may be more inclined to go closer to home than into WDW. If you are offsite the "full Disney experience is inapplicable".

On the plus side that might mean it'll be easier to get a decent beach chair in more crowded seasons.

Disneybag
04-05-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't see crowds dwindling too much at the Disney water parks because of this. It seems that most locals here will head to Aquatica from Wet N' Wild... That's what happened with Watermania. Locals started flocking to Wet N' Wild. Aquatica will probably take a huge chunk from Wet N' Wild especially since it's right down the street.

DancingBear
04-05-2007, 08:35 AM
I doubt this will hurt TL or BB significantly, but it may impact Disney's decision on when and whether to build a third water park.

Peter Pirate 2
04-05-2007, 08:47 AM
I didn't mean to imply that Aquatica's opening will hurt Disney financially or even in attendance but it does signal serious competition. Sea World isn't putting its head in the sand and just surviving by severe cost cutting measures like Universal, it is making a concerted effort to be a player in the Orlando tourisim market and I believe the third park will solidify that.

The consequence is what happens down the road. Should serious recession, deeper war, terrorisim, etc. rear their ugly heads who will best survive? Disney, with it's goliath infrastructure, huge number of hotel rooms and success built on marketing something for nothing now, during the good times, will have little to fall back on. Pleasing Wall St. will be tough. Sea World, with A-B's financial backing will still be a small endeaveor more easily able to roll with the punches of economic ups and downs as all of their eggs aren't so codependent, IMO...Regardless of SW's profit/loss people aren't going to quit drinking beer.

Now should the economy just maintain the status quo then we have two solid players with products so different there is virtually no way to attack each other...Again, if Universal would just decide to play.
pirate:

Jonas Grumby
04-08-2007, 01:16 AM
I doubt this will hurt TL or BB significantly, but it may impact Disney's decision on when and whether to build a third water park.

Yup, I agree!::yes::

littlestar
04-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Aquatica looks incredible. I like Seaworld's new ideas. I happen to love the Marriott vacation club resorts over by I drive, too, so we'll definitely be spending more time over there (and we're DVC members - ha). :) But we also own with Marriott.

One of our friends mentioned the other day that the Disney parks were boring for their kids (boys ages 12 and 14). And that they prefer Seaworld or Universal. This new water park will really add even more draw for a lot of people to never even venture over to Disney. I think it's great. Competition is good. And I like having lots of options.

mikoiv
04-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Disney has and probably will always have the deepest pockets and can if they see profitability counter the moves of SeaWorld and Universal. I see SeaWorlds expansion impacting Universal and W&W. I think lots of folks are looking for total destination parks so they do not need to use cars or public transportation and with 3 choices SW just might satisfy that demand. SW's location in the time share rich section of International Drive certainly gives them a large base to draw from. Universal is promising a $100 million dollar expansion plan but it apparently does not include a blockbuster attraction but more shows and ride improvements. They have lost (especially IoA) a significant share of annual attendance while SW and Disney are still climbing. Bush has an interesting development process and SW and Bush parks all get fair share in rotation. Kinda like Disney, focus on one park at a time but dont get lazy.
I have always enjoyed SW and Bush parks and go to SW more frequently on Disney trip than Universal.

EUROPACL
04-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Disney has and probably will always have the deepest pockets and can if they see profitability counter the moves of SeaWorld and Universal.

GE owns Universal now...much deeper...but they could care less about the theme park biz.

.Kinda like Disney, focus on one park at a time but dont get lazy.

Whoa....when did this start?