PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help--we missed our Magic Disney cruise 3/17-3/24/07

terkonda
03-27-2007, 10:59 PM
hi folks

we missed our disney cruise on the magic 3/17-3/24/07 because of mechanical delays (hydraulics on Delta from atlanta to ORD). we booked our travel thru disney cruise lines including the air from st. louis to ord. they routed us thru atlanta and no fault of ours- we did not reach ord till 630pm and unfort the cruise left without us and another 40 guests from various parts of the country. we had trip insurance via access america that was provided by disney. we returned back to st. louis and cancelled our trip on the cruise.
now insurance company is refusing to pay since it was a mechanical prob wiht the flight (delta airlines) and disney says we need to contact our insurance carrier (access america provided by disney). i feel it is unfair to hold the passengers responsible for the mechanical delay.

I would appreciate any suggestions that would help me get my money back.

u can private email if need be so to ranjana95@hotmail.com

we are a family of 5 with that includes 3 children (6, 7, 12)

thank you

cmacf1
03-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't have any advice (DCL newbie,) but I wanted to say I'm so sorry that happened to your family. What an incredible disappointment that must have been. I hope you get the insurance stuff settled to your advantage.

Disney Fans
03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Keep going up the ladder as they say, keep asking for the manager and if no help then ask for that persons manager, etc. keep calling, writing letters, etc. Sometimes in cases like these you have to push the issue! Good Luck and hopefully others may have even better advice then I can give!

Michelle2
03-27-2007, 11:16 PM
That is awful! I am so sorry for your family....one of my biggest nightmares is what happened to you. :sad2:

Joel110
03-27-2007, 11:20 PM
How awful...If it were me, I'd push DCL to resolve it. I'd request a manager and explain that they took my money and they booked my flights, so they need to call the insurer and workout a solution. Also, you can contact your state's department of insurance and ask for assistance if the previous option doesn't work. Nothing motivates an insurance company quicker than if there's a department of insurance representative on the other line. I pulled that card on a title company when they weren't responding to my request for a copy of the title insurance on my home. The Dept. of Ins. representative got on the line, requested to speak to the person in charge, and I had my copy in a few hours. IMO...this should be taken care of for you, and I work for a major insurance company.

LadyZolt
03-27-2007, 11:57 PM
I agree with Joel, but I'd go even farther. Nothing motivates companies like media attention, either. Contact your local newspaper's travel section and tell them about it. Write the story yourself if you can. Local radio and news, too. Anyone who will listen. Generate local publicity -- with people falling off cruise ships regularly, the cruise industry has a spotlight on it anyway. This sounds like a case of finger-pointing with no one standing up to take responsibility. Also, if you paid with a credit card, I'd be talking to the credit card company, too, about how I'm not paying for services I didn't receive as agreed. I pay with American Express and I know that they would absolutely be doing something about it. So make a loud noise and don't stop until this is resolved to your satisfaction.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Babs417
03-27-2007, 11:58 PM
What was the name of the ins co? Make sure no one get that ins!:headache: :sad1:

flexsmom
03-28-2007, 12:10 AM
For the OP - if you booked your air through DCL, did they offer you an alternative flight to catch up with the ship once it was clear you had missed sailing? My understanding was that that was one of the primary benefits of booking with DCL. Any problems, and they bear responsibility for getting you to the next legal port to embark on the ship. If they did not do this, I think I'd ask DCL about that. If they did offer this, and you declined it and went home, then that may be one of the reasons for the response you are getting from both DCL and the insurance carrier?

mom_of_2_princesses
03-28-2007, 12:23 AM
For the OP - if you booked your air through DCL, did they offer you an alternative flight to catch up with the ship once it was clear you had missed sailing? My understanding was that that was one of the primary benefits of booking with DCL. Any problems, and they bear responsibility for getting you to the next legal port to embark on the ship. If they did not do this, I think I'd ask DCL about that. If they did offer this, and you declined it and went home, then that may be one of the reasons for the response you are getting from both DCL and the insurance carrier?

I agree with this. Did they offer to get you to other port? I feel so bad for you guys. This is every one's worst nightmare when planning a trip.:grouphug:The only thing I could think of was maybe a passport was needed to get to next port and I still don't have mine.

Jeanne B
03-28-2007, 06:31 AM

I was going to ask the same thing, we never book our air through DCL but I thought that was the primary advantages of booking through them, they have to get you on the cruise even if it means picking it up in the next port.

MiaSRN62
03-28-2007, 07:10 AM
I feel very bad for terkonda. It seems like they've been letdown by both the insurance company as well as DCL.

This is what concerns my husband about our upcoming disney cruise. We haven't purchased the insurance yet---it's pricey for a family of 5---and there seems to be so many loopholes for the insurance companies. We were looking over the fine print and was suprised at some of the things that aren't covered.

I wish the best for the OP, and I'm sorry for your disappointing travel experience. What happened to you, is one of the reasons we book our airfare ourselves and fly in the day before. Not putting blame on you at all, rather, just makes me very nervous to fly out the same day because so many things can go wrong as far as delays and cancellations.

Please let us know what becomes of this and welcome to the DIS.

Monagles
03-28-2007, 07:27 AM
http://www.accessamerica.com/

Gives an overview of the policies, etc.

Henlady
03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
I feel so sorry for Terkonda and Family. It would be awful to be that close to a vacation, only to have it disappear before your eyes.
I can't help with the Insurance bit, but for future cruisers, this is a very good reason for always arriving the day before the cruise is set to sail. If something does go wrong with your transportation, you have sufficient time to "fix" it or find an alternative. For our Oct 2005 cruise we were booked on the Auto Train, arriving the day before the cruise. Unfortunately Hurricane Wilma decided to make an appearance and our Auto Train trip south was cancelled. We just decided to drive down, get a refund on our cancelled leg of the train trip and then make our scheduled return on the Auto train. It was not ideal, but at least we had time to make that adjustment.
I hope everything works out for you with the insurance dilema.

Regina
03-28-2007, 08:27 AM
I can't believe that they're denying you a refund. You did everything by the letter. :mad:

If they did offer to fly them to another port, keep in mind that if they don't have passports (not required yet for cruising), they would probably have needed them to return to the US. You need passports when flying to the Caribbean/Mexico.

DrCavin
03-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Something just doesn't sound right with this.... popcorn::

Joel110
03-28-2007, 08:37 AM

I can understand that and imagine under the contract, it is correct, but I believe it was an Eastern, so the earliest that they would have caught up with the Magic would be on Tuesday in St. Maarten. So they would have missed 3 of 7 nights on the cruise. I could understand the OP's vacation dreams being deflated and deciding to go home versus going through the hassle of making travel arrangements to get to St Maarten and locating lodging. IMO, it'd be cheaper for the insurer/Disney to cover the cost of the cruise than to pay benefits and travel arrangements for St. Maarten at last minute.

I don't know what policy the OP had, but the "fine print" of one of their more expensive policies seems to confirm that the insurer feels that the whole trip should not be covered because under "Trip Cancellation and Interruption Protection" it says that the benefits are paid on "A covered Travel Delay that results in the loss of more than 50% of Your scheduled Trip length." Again, the OP would have missed 3 of 7 nights, which is technically less than 50% of the trip, but had to fly to St. Maarten last minute. Under "Travel Delay Coverage", it does say that "Carrier caused delay (including bad weather)" is a coverage, but only that payments of $150/day per person are covered.

IMO...this is why someone pays for insurance, to cover unexpected events that are out of their control that result in missing some or all of their trip. I would agree that it would be a better idea to fly down the day prior, but it may not always be possible and I think the OP did the next best thing by having DCL book the flights and then insuring the trip.

The DCL website says "Leave your worries behind when you let us make travel arrangements for you". Yet blow you off when you have an issue? If DCL wants revenue from booking flights and selling insurance, then they should be willing to step up and make sure that those impacted by travel delays are taken care of. What next? DCL leaving behind cruisers on a DCL sold shore excursion because the tour operator doesn't return to the ship ontime?

pop5
03-28-2007, 09:31 AM
I was on this cruise and talked with a family who was probaly on that problem flight from Atlanta. Delta arranged for them to fly to SAn Juan and then later caught up wiyh us is St. Marteen. She was not happy because she was told by dcl that they would hold the ship and her luggage ending up making it and the ship left 30 minutes before she got there.

gottaluvdisney
03-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Did you actually file a claim with Access America? Or, just talk to their customer service? If you have not filed a claim, you need to and have it reviewed by a claims representative.

I don't think that DCL will do a refund in this type of situation. I read on another thread that over 100 people missed the ship due to flight delays on the March 17 sailing. Can you image DCL issuing refunds for those guests that don't make the ship on something that is not their fault. Even if they did book the airfare, they don't run the airlines or control the weather.

I think DCL offering to get you to the next port or letting you reschedule you cruise vacation is fair.

logan1_2000
03-28-2007, 10:20 AM
I do think OP has an excellent case to get DCL to step up and work w/ the Insurance Co. to get OP paid. DCL is a middle-man for the insurance policies, they just mark them up and sell them but they are not the insurer--nevertheless, it is exactly true that guests purchase the insurance from DCL specifically to protect against these situations. DCL needs to know about this at a decently high level, not just front line phone-answerer, because this is a black eye to DCL, no one cares if an insurance company is trying to stiff someone (that is hardly even news), but Disney, they are all about image and service and that is why DCL costs more.

As for catching up in St. Maarten, our last Eastern on the Magic in 2005, there was a group of folks who did just that, their plane was late and could not make the embarkation--apparently it was quite a few folks, maybe 30 or more, and DCL put them up on the property and then flew them to St. Maarten for what was left of the trip, I saw one of them checking in, so to speak, at guest services while in port. Not sure what other arrangments or compensations were involved, either while spending a couple days at WDW or in terms of any refund. So since that was not what happened here, must have had some different circumstances

HawkeyeGal
03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't have experience with this insurance company, but we did have to file a claim with Berkley Travel (through Costco) for our cruise because DD & I were sick and isolated for a day. We had to do the claim ourselves, and I expected to be given the run-around and have to fight for our money, but they were very straightforward and quick. We got exactly what we expected, the value of one day for each of us, and it was simple.

Good luck to the OP - I would like to know, too, if you have filed a claim with the insurance company or just talked to someone. I understand Disney sending you on to the insurance company. Just remember to document everything - every piece of mail, e-mail, every call - time, date and name of person you talked to.

misseulalie
03-28-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't have experience with this insurance company, but we did have to file a claim with Berkley Travel (through Costco) for our cruise because DD & I were sick and isolated for a day. We had to do the claim ourselves, and I expected to be given the run-around and have to fight for our money, but they were very straightforward and quick. We got exactly what we expected, the value of one day for each of us, and it was simple.

Good luck to the OP - I would like to know, too, if you have filed a claim with the insurance company or just talked to someone. I understand Disney sending you on to the insurance company. Just remember to document everything - every piece of mail, e-mail, every call - time, date and name of person you talked to.

KInda OT, but we had Berkley Care before and had to file a claim for my father. They took care of it and even refunded my mother's fare as well.

goofyforlife
03-28-2007, 10:55 AM
OP-

Did you get your insurance through DCL (whose carrier is Access america)

or

do you go seperately and book a poilcy on your own with access america?

dreamcometrue
03-28-2007, 11:10 AM
I am so sorry you missed your cruise! That's truly mine, and everyone elses nightmare! It really makes me feel good about us arriving the day before though. If there are any delays, there is plenty of time to catch up!

I don't have any experience or knowledge when it comes to dealing with travel insurance, so I can't be any assistance whatsoever. Some said that maybe DCL offered to have you flown to the next port and since you declined, they now refuse a refund. IMO, it should be up to the traveler to accept or decline that offer. If that was me, my vacation would be ruined. If you have your heart set on a 7 day cruise, and you dream of the sailaway party and entering the ship in Port Canaveral for the first time, that's part of the magic. Stressing over catching up with the ship in St. Maarten (if that is your first port of call) and missing 2 days of relaxation at sea and fun, I probably wouldn't want to go at all, and instead reschedule my cruise to a later date so I can fully enjoy it! Will Disney let you do that, instead of asking for a refund? I am truly clueless when it comes to that! :confused:

fcrouch
03-28-2007, 11:41 AM
On the 3/17 cruise, becuase of bad weather in the northeast, several people missed leaving on the 17th - we met one family that had joined in St. Marteen - Disney did offer to let them reschedule - but because one memberof the family was on a short break from service in Iraq they could not reschedule. Disney did make arrangements to get them to St. Marteen and was going to reimburse for hotel and some meals.

jilljill
03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
OP did you insist Delta put you on another flight, when did you decide to return home and what day did you return home?

Hopefuly DCL will let you reschedule your cruise.

one princess
03-28-2007, 11:48 AM
What I find unbelievable about this is that Disney would book these people on 3 legs from St. Louis through ATLANTA and THEN to CHICAGO before going on to Orlando. You could drive faster.
So sorry you missed your trip. I hope you get your money back with a huge apology from Disney for booking you on this insane itenerary.

Jackie:)

Skallywag
03-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Just wonder if you paid for your air/trip with credit card then perhaps you can claim back through them.
Good luck

PhotoLisa
03-28-2007, 12:08 PM
I strongly suggest that everyone read their insurance policies carefully. There is literally NO coverage that will guarantee you a refund of your unreimbursed vacation costs for this situation. What you are insuring yourself for is cancellations/trip interruptions primarily due to health issues. About the only trip interruption coverage that is not health related is for a traffic situation than can be documented by police report.

If an air carrier cannot get you to your embarkation point on time due to something that is not weather related that shuts down services completely for a specified time period (in some cases 6 hours, some cases 12 or 24 hours), you have no recourse back against the insurance coverage if you have to cancel your vacation.

Even if you purchase "cancel for any reason" riders on your policies, you must cancel your trip 72 hours in advance of departure.

I believe your only recourse will be with Disney and then they will only be on the hook for the funds you have paid to them for your trip.

As others have suggested, plan to arrive in Orlando at least a day before your scheduled cruise. Sometimes a day isn't enough either -- ask the passengers of the 2/17 cruise who were trying to leave 3 days early only to be snowed in at home!!!

Good luck!!!!

Cruisers beware -- read the insurance you're purchasing before thinking that you're covered for all scenarios.

gottaluvdisney
03-28-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't think the OP had to connect in O'Hare (ORD) - I think he may have been using ORD to represent Orlando (MCO). JMO

It sounds like they were scheduled STL to ATL to MCO.

one princess
03-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I don't think the OP had to connect in O'Hare (ORD) - I think he may have been using ORD to represent Orlando (MCO). JMO

It sounds like they were scheduled STL to ATL to MCO.

Oh, well in that case...never mind.:lmao:

cats mom
03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately I'm afraid I have to agree with PhotoLisa on this one. I doubt if you'll get any resolution from Access America no matter how far up the chain you take it. The fine print on your policy most likely covers them on this one.

I think I'd try approaching DCL to see if you could still reschedule the cruise. I don't know if they would do it this long after the fact or not... but I know when folks have had emergency situations and have had to cancel just days before their cruise DCL has charged them a cancellation fee but has allowed them to apply most of their cruise fare to a new date. No doubt you'd still take a financial hit, but it's certainly better than loosing everything.

Good Luck

I'm so sorry you missed your cruise. :sad1:

Ski-and-Sea
03-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I strongly suggest that everyone read their insurance policies carefully. There is literally NO coverage that will guarantee you a refund of your unreimbursed vacation costs for this situation. What you are insuring yourself for is cancellations/trip interruptions primarily due to health issues. About the only trip interruption coverage that is not health related is for a traffic situation than can be documented by police report.

If an air carrier cannot get you to your embarkation point on time due to something that is not weather related that shuts down services completely for a specified time period (in some cases 6 hours, some cases 12 or 24 hours), you have no recourse back against the insurance coverage if you have to cancel your vacation.

Even if you purchase "cancel for any reason" riders on your policies, you must cancel your trip 72 hours in advance of departure.

I believe your only recourse will be with Disney and then they will only be on the hook for the funds you have paid to them for your trip.

As others have suggested, plan to arrive in Orlando at least a day before your scheduled cruise. Sometimes a day isn't enough either -- ask the passengers of the 2/17 cruise who were trying to leave 3 days early only to be snowed in at home!!!

Good luck!!!!

Cruisers beware -- read the insurance you're purchasing before thinking that you're covered for all scenarios.

:eek:
Wow, thank you so much for posting this. I had no idea this is the reality of trip insurance. I never realized airline mechanical problems are not covered.

I learned my lesson about flying in the same day after having to get up at 3:30am. Never, never, never again.

I'm so thankful that we drive when we take our winter vacations.

gottaluvdisney
03-28-2007, 12:42 PM
There is "fine print" in the DCL Access America guide that states--

If you purchase the Vacation Protection Plan and cancel your vacation for any reason not covered by the insurance plan, Disney Cruise Vacations will credit 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future Disney Cruise Vacations package commencing within one year after the start date of your original package.

So, it is in writing that they will apply their monies to a new cruise. However, it sounds like the OP wants a refund. I don't think they will do that.

I am still interested if the OP filed a claim with Access America and it was denied---or was the OP just told by a CSR that it wouldn't be covered.

cruisinluver
03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Interesting that this is a first post by someone who just joined and they have not been back to respond to any questions.

If you read the fine print of your CRUISE contract, you will see that DCL merely makes bookings for air as a convenience for its passengers yet is not responsible for any failings of a third party carrier. Same thing with shore excusions.

There was a big storm in the NE and as such many airplanes were stuck there and cancelled by Delta and other air carriers over that weekend. There was just not equipment available. Also if you had no passport, the first port you could have met the ship was St. Thomas. This would not be considered emergency travel and it would be unlikely you would have been able to fly to St. Maarten without one.

Sue (mom of 3 boys!)
03-28-2007, 01:19 PM

:scared: yup, been there, done that! I was a very stressed person on 2/13-2/14! and we were one of the lucky ones (airport closed after our flight took off)

To the OP: Good luck, and I hope you are at minimum able to reschedule your cruise. DCL implies that you don't need to worry if you have them book the airfare. If they don't back that up, they shouldn't imply that to be so.

Airlines are not responsive to travelers these days-we are at their mercy. My mother recently (also on 3/16--she was supposed to leave from Boston) missed out on a terrific vacation because her international flight was cancelled. She has excellent trip insurance, which is covering her in full, but that is not necessarily the norm. The airline treated the passengers horribly (I won't go into details here, but trust me, it was bad!). You should however, get reimbursed for your ticket fare from the airline.

Once again, best of luck getting some type of reimbursement/rescheduling.

PhotoLisa
03-28-2007, 01:32 PM
:scared: yup, been there, done that! I was a very stressed person on 2/13-2/14! and we were one of the lucky ones (airport closed after our flight took off)

To the OP: Good luck, and I hope you are at minimum able to reschedule your cruise. DCL implies that you don't need to worry if you have them book the airfare. If they don't back that up, they shouldn't imply that to be so.

Airlines are not responsive to travelers these days-we are at their mercy. My mother recently (also on 3/16--she was supposed to leave from Boston) missed out on a terrific vacation because her international flight was cancelled. She has excellent trip insurance, which is covering her in full, but that is not necessarily the norm. The airline treated the passengers horribly (I won't go into details here, but trust me, it was bad!). You should however, get reimbursed for your ticket fare from the airline.

Once again, best of luck getting some type of reimbursement/rescheduling.

Hi Sue:wave2:

Were your ears burning?

Glad you posted your experience here.

professorandmom
03-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Also if you had no passport, the first port you could have met the ship was St. Thomas. This would not be considered emergency travel and it would be unlikely you would have been able to fly to St. Maarten without one.

Not quite, you can't RETURN to the US without a passport by air, you can LEAVE it....
This does work
Barb

cruisinluver
03-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Not quite, you can't RETURN to the US without a passport by air, you can LEAVE it....
This does work
Barb
Not true...
Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.The airlines can be severely fined if they allow someone to board without a valid US Passport.

InstImpres
03-28-2007, 01:46 PM
There is "fine print" in the DCL Access America guide that states--

If you purchase the Vacation Protection Plan and cancel your vacation for any reason not covered by the insurance plan, Disney Cruise Vacations will credit 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future Disney Cruise Vacations package commencing within one year after the start date of your original package.

So, it is in writing that they will apply their monies to a new cruise. However, it sounds like the OP wants a refund. I don't think they will do that.

I am still interested if the OP filed a claim with Access America and it was denied---or was the OP just told by a CSR that it wouldn't be covered.

I think the key to this statement is "non-refundable cancellation fee". For example if 8 days prior to travel you cancel 50% of your cruise fare is your cancellation fee, so that would be applied. 7 days or less there fee states "no refund"

Also, it does sound like the OP opted to go home. I have spoken with Disney numerous times on situations like this will get you to the next port and pay expenses along the way if they booked the air.

NoFussRuss
03-28-2007, 03:59 PM
I've been lucky flying two years in a row on the snowiest days of the year in the northeast (Feb 10, 06 - 26" snow - beat the storm out : Mar 17, 07 - 8" snow and ice returning after many flights were canceled!).

First off - I really think you can work something out with DCL - we had a segment of one of our excursions canceled last year and they gave us almost a 60% on board credit for that part of the canceled trip. I never asked for it - they just gave it to me.

Secondly - Both years I booked the entire trip with DCL (airfare, hotel, trip, etc). Last year they booked us with Continental (direct from Newark to Orlando) - This year we were booked with Delta (direct to Atlanta and then to Orlando). Now I don't know what deals DCL makes with airlines (bulk purchase), but common sense would be if you make people fly airlines where you have to catch a connecting flight, you have introduced more chances for problems to arise.

Unfortunately, if they knew - they may have looked into flying into Melbourne Airport - once they got to Atlanta - (that is where we flew out of) from Atlanta, which is closer than Orlando!

Personally - I think DCL should do better working out your flights and trying to avoid putting people into compromising positions.

Mom24Princesses
03-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Kind of related - my brother was telling me about talking to some NYC firemen in Savannah, GA on 3/17 ( St. Patties in Savannah:cool1: :banana: :rotfl: :dance3: ) telling him they could not get their flights out on Friday (3/16) due to weather and rented vans last min and drove down I-10. It is not THAT much further to PC. If at all possible, I like back-up transportation plans.

Kissimmee
03-28-2007, 05:29 PM
If I read this clause right, only weather caused delays , not mechanical are covered.

F. MISSED CONNECTION COVERAGE*
This coverage provides up to the maximum amount indicated
in Your Letter of Confirmation per person to cover:
1. Reasonable additional transportation and accommodation
expenses needed for You to reach Your destination
or the departure of Your cruise;
2. Any unused prepaid Trip payments lost as a result of
You missing at least 24 hours of Your vacation.
In order for You to receive benefits, the missing of Your
connection or cruise must be caused by:
1. You or a Traveling Companion being delayed by a traffic
Accident while en route to a departure, even if You or
the Traveling Companion have not been directly involved
in the Accident;
2. You or a Traveling Companion being delayed by bad
weather while en route to a departure provided the car
was scheduled to arrive at the point of departure at least
two hours before the scheduled time of departure; or
3. Your regularly scheduled airline flight being canceled
or delayed solely due to bad weather for at least 3
hours and for this reason You miss Your cruise.
Coverage is secondary to any coverage provided by a
Common Carrier.
Benefits are payable under either Travel Delay or Missed
Connection for any one incident resulting in a delay.
No coverage will be provided for losses due to any
General Program Exclusion or for losses incurred
because You cancelled the Trip even though You were
able to make Your departure or cruise.
Please refer to Your Letter of Confirmation to determine
which benefits are specifically included within the plan
You purchased and their corresponding maximum
amount of coverage.

MississippiMom
03-28-2007, 05:46 PM
I have never cruised on DCL; first one is booked for 2008. However, I have cruised on three other lines. Most recently, we drove to our port, which took a huge stress off our shoulders, since we didn't have to worry about airplane issues. But I specifically remember our travel agent telling us, (about 7) years ago, that if we booked our air to San Juan with Carnival, that Carnival waits for you before they leave the port or arranges for you to get to the next port. Do things not work this way anymore, or does DCL just handle things differently?

MCourtney
03-28-2007, 06:09 PM
The Captain of the Wonder did wait for several people on 2/15/07 .....for delayed flights due to bad weather. We actually pulled out of Port Canaveral at 6pm!

Peggy Jean
03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Wow! I feel so bad for OP and ANYONE who's had to miss a cruise for reasons beyond their control.

Maybe I'm getting a little paranoid. I guess it all started with our first Disney cruise for Christmas in 2002 on the Magic. While we didn't but insurance, don't know why, nothing like gambling with a $6000 + cost for 4 over the holidays, but what we did do was fly in a night early and stay near the airport so we wouldn't miss the ship.

Now, we not only purchase insurance, but we also fly in at least a day early. Like I said maybe a little paranoid, but I don't want to miss the ship. Plus, travel days are so tiring and at least this way we can just go to the hotel, chill, swim, rent a movie and then start our cruise rested, relaxed and ready to enjoy.

We don't ever have Disney schedule our flights, I can ALWAYS get a cheaper fare and a more convenient fare. I do however understand there are perks for having DCL book the air, but it didn't seem to help in this case.

I wish the OP good luck on settling your case and I hope you can reschedule and have the time of your life.

PhotoLisa
03-28-2007, 06:22 PM
The Captain of the Wonder did wait for several people on 2/15/07 .....for delayed flights due to bad weather. We actually pulled out of Port Canaveral at 6pm!

On our 2/17 Magic cruise, we departed late too. There were many folks running onto the ship just moments before we left.

nana_b
03-28-2007, 06:33 PM
I was on the 3/17 Eastern and I am sorry to hear that you missed the cruise. We were at the sail-away party and an announcement was made that we would delay sailing because about 40 people were in transit. I think we started sailing around 6:00 p.m. or so - I assumed that everyone made it on board, guess I was wrong.... so sorry. :confused3

Amyg
03-28-2007, 06:33 PM

The insurance we purchased last year from Travelsafe on ***************** states the following under

Trip Cancellation:
"Other Covered Events" means only the following unforeseeable events or their consequences which occur while coverage is in effect under this Policy:

Air Carrier delays resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft on which you are scheduled to travel or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation; arrangements canceled by an airline, cruise line, or tour operator resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft on which you are scheduled to travel, organized labor strikes that affect public transportation; or a government-mandated shut down of an airport or air traffic control system for reasons other than a Terrorist Act or an act of war;

You definitely MUST read before purchasing insurance. I even make sure I carry the coverage information in my carry on with contact numbers highlighted "just in case".

gottaluvdisney
03-28-2007, 09:29 PM
There are so many scenarios and I am sure most everyones experiences are different - weather delay, mechanical delay, crew delay due to weather. But what a disappointment on the first day of a long expected vacation.

If you do your air with DCL your destination is the ship, the airline has to get you to the ship (not necessarily prior to it leaving its home port) So the airline will work with DCL to get you to the first port of call. If you book your airfare directly with an airline, your destination is Orlando (or whatever city you fly into) - the airline is not obligated to fly you to the first port of call if you flight is delayed and miss departure from Port Canaveral.

I think many people think the ship will wait for them if they do DCL air. Not entirely true....what if your flight is delayed until 7pm or 8pm? They can't postpone the other 2500 people that are on the ship to wait until 8pm or so to sail from Port Canaveral. I am sure the Captain will try to wait a reasonable time --I am sure it varies from week to week how long he can wait. Also, I am sure the port authority will charge some fees to leave late. Ever watch them drop the ropes...those people would have to wait a few hours to drop the ropes...someone has to pay them.

As someone posted earlier, the OP has not been back - it was their first posting. It doesn't appear that he has actually filed a claim yet with insurance. I would like to know the outcome when he does file a claim with insurance.

fis
03-28-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you missed the cruise. We were on the 3/17 Disney Magic and heard a number of stories about people who missed -- or nearly missed -- the boat due to airline delays. Some people joined in St. Maarten and looked pretty worse for wear. I would not have wanted to put my kids through that.

Many people are saying here that in the future they would plan to arrive in Florida the night before, just to be safe. Well, for what it's worth, that strategy might NOT have helped on March 17.

We were scheduled to fly down from the northeast early Saturday morning 3/17. When we heard the weather forecasts for storms on Friday night 3/16, we went into a panic about potentially missing the cruise. We even considered paying to switch our flights to Friday night, but every flight was booked, the airline phone lines were busy, and there was no way we would be able to get the whole family on standby. So we set the alarms to get there extra early on Saturday and spent a sleepless night praying we'd get off the ground.

The airport Saturday morning was complete chaos. Thousands of people had been stranded there overnight as one flight after another had been cancelled. Everybody who had been on Friday night flights was still trying to go standby to get out of town. The line to check in was over 2 hours long. Our flight took off 30 minutes late and we barely made it on board.

We realized that if we had tried to fly to Florida the night before, we probably would have missed the cruise.

I'm not sure what lesson there is here except that you can't control what you can't control. If you're retired or have an otherwise flexible schedule, then you can take the train or fly several days early and have no worries. The rest of us just have to buy insurance and hope for the best.

flexsmom
03-28-2007, 11:08 PM
This may sounds harsh - but from what I've read here, yes, the airfare was booked through DCL and yes, many people were delayed on this sailing. DCL did wait for a period of time, but as others have mentioned, it's not practical to expect them to wait undefinitely, particularly since DCL does bear responsibility for rerouting to the next boardable port. It sounds as if DCL did get peopel who missed the sailing to the next port - St Maarten - albeit, it was 3 days into the cruise. But they did it - if someone chooses to reject that alternate course, then they need to be prepared to live with the consequences and not assume that the company involved will or should do something different! I agree - DCL may very well decide ot let them rebook, but IF the passengers CHOSE not to accept the alternate flights to get them caught up with the ship - which is one of the huge reasons for going with cruiseline-provided-air, then I tend to think they need to live with the consequences, or at least be responsible for being knowledgable of the consequences of the choices they are making!

Sorry - I was a contracting official in a former life, so I can't help it. It just seems that when contract terms to which they tacitly or directly agreed go bad, everyone wants "customer service" and alternate terms - when they go fine, no one cares or mentions it.

Before the flames start - I'm fully aware that I'll probaby be the one here in December with the sob story about the massive blizzard of '07 that kept me from being able to fly to Orlando even the night before!

endkaos
03-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Well, I'm glad they posted because I am now looking closer at my travel insurance policy and will be comparing policies and prices. Another way to OCD about my 2008 REPO cruise.

Michelle2
03-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Well, I'm glad they posted because I am now looking closer at my travel insurance policy and will be comparing policies and prices. Another way to OCD about my 2008 REPO cruise.

Me too!!

metrowon
03-29-2007, 03:46 AM
Something just doesn't sound right with this.... popcorn:: Dr. I have to agree, something was left out of this thread. To many persons have cashed in on travel insurance, we have a number of times with no hassle. Metrowon

ReallyFunMom
03-29-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm surprised about the mechanical failure exclusion, you have to wonder what else might be and how useful insurance really is. Somehow I thought anything beyond your control that you could PROVE would be covered, that trip insurance, in general, was more all inclusive. Say you got in a small car accident enroute to airport, no one injured but by they time AAA got to you and towed the car, you missed your flight and ultimately cruise. I would have thought insurance covered you. Would it if WEATHER caused the traffic accident......? It's a shame, you buy insurance so you don't have to worry but if you still have to worry about all the loopholes, it hasn't given you that much peace of mind.

mermaidbaby
03-29-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm surprised about the mechanical failure exclusion, you have to wonder what else might be and how useful insurance really is. Somehow I thought anything beyond your control that you could PROVE would be covered, that trip insurance, in general, was more all inclusive. Say you got in a small car accident enroute to airport, no one injured but by they time AAA got to you and towed the car, you missed your flight and ultimately cruise. I would have thought insurance covered you. Would it if WEATHER caused the traffic accident......? It's a shame, you buy insurance so you don't have to worry but if you still have to worry about all the loopholes, it hasn't given you that much peace of mind.

People buy policies all the time without reading the whole thing. There are exclusions (not loopholes)in all policies and you must be proactive and read, call and ask if you don't understand certain terms. You have to know what you are buying.

MiaSRN62
03-29-2007, 08:52 AM
MississippiMom says : Most recently, we drove to our port, which took a huge stress off our shoulders, since we didn't have to worry about airplane issues.
Friends of ours did this back in 2000 or so. Their 3 year old car broke down on I-95 in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. It was a major mechanical problem wich I can't recall right now. Got a tow truck...had to scramble for a way to get to an exit (tow driver took them) and then found a motel. Had ALOT of trouble getting a rental and one never materialized. They missed their cruise.
We were driving to a Williamsburg, VA in 1996 with the kids who were small then. Transmission died about 45 minutes away from our hotel. We spent the following 4 days fighting to get our car repaired....fighting with the company that held the warranty and wouldn't authorize payment (we had just purchased the car 2 months earlier !)....it was a disaster.
So driving isn't always the answer either unfortunately.

fis says : The rest of us just have to buy insurance and hope for the best.
You're not kidding....it seems there are just way too many exclusions to almost make it worth the cost of the insurance ?

birkner
03-29-2007, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=flexsmom;17808575]This may sounds harsh - but from what I've read here, yes, the airfare was booked through DCL and yes, many people were delayed on this sailing. DCL did wait for a period of time, but as others have mentioned, it's not practical to expect them to wait undefinitely, particularly since DCL does bear responsibility for rerouting to the next boardable port. It sounds as if DCL did get peopel who missed the sailing to the next port - St Maarten - albeit, it was 3 days into the cruise. But they did it - if someone chooses to reject that alternate course, then they need to be prepared to live with the consequences and not assume that the company involved will or should do something different! I agree - DCL may very well decide ot let them rebook, but IF the passengers CHOSE not to accept the alternate flights to get them caught up with the ship - which is one of the huge reasons for going with cruiseline-provided-air, then I tend to think they need to live with the consequences, or at least be responsible for being knowledgable of the consequences of the choices they are making!
QUOTE]

No flames but if all of the OP's family did not have passports and the next port is St. Maarten, would the airlines let them board and fly from USA to a foreign country? It seems to me that I have read elsewhere on the boards that no airline will allow you to board without a valid passport.

ANYONE??
:surfweb:

OurDogCisco
03-29-2007, 12:16 PM
What I find unbelievable about this is that Disney would book these people on 3 legs from St. Louis through ATLANTA and THEN to CHICAGO before going on to Orlando. You could drive faster.
So sorry you missed your trip. I hope you get your money back with a huge apology from Disney for booking you on this insane itenerary.

That's very common with cruise arranged flights. We did a cruise out of San Juan once and our leg was Sacramento to Los Angeles (domestic). Then, we had to walk to another terminal to get to international and took a flight from LAX to Chicago and then, onto San Juan. This was a red eye too. I decided never to book a flight through a cruise line again after that horror. Plus, we didn't even get to sit next to each other on the plane.

MaryKatesMom
03-29-2007, 05:49 PM
I purchased trip insurance for my Nov 08 cruise and did my best to read all of the fine print and I'm glad I did. The insurance will not cover airlines that have filed for bankrupty and that meant Delta, one of the two big provider's in our regional airport. So when I book the airline I'll have to use USair.

However, reading doesn't necessarily guarantee understanding. I did my best but since I don't have a law degree, I'm sure there is quite a bit I missed.

It does sound like the OP choose to go home not understanding that trip insurance does not provide an automatic 100% refund.

Jeanne B
03-29-2007, 05:58 PM
I purchased trip insurance for my Nov 08 cruise and did my best to read all of the fine print and I'm glad I did. The insurance will not cover airlines that have filed for bankrupty and that meant Delta, one of the two big provider's in our regional airport. So when I book the airline I'll have to use USair.

And I think in order for financial default to be covered on an airline that wasn't on the "bankruptcy list" at time of purchase you have to have purchased the trip insurance within 14-21 days of your initial trip deposit.

Amyg
03-29-2007, 06:38 PM

There IS insurance that covers all items that you mention above.

I have not experienced having to use insurance and hope I never do, but I have seen plans that cover if you have an accident on the way to the airport, weather, mechanical, serious illness of self or someone in your travel party, serious illness of someone at home, etc.

I suppose there could be some loopholes but you just have to do the best you can and hope for the best.

cruisinluver
03-30-2007, 01:05 AM
This is not a flame against anyone just a general comment. Let me start off by saying that I would be so disappointed to miss a cruise one plans for over a year in most cases.

I think many forget the real reasons for trip insurance.

One is to protect you if some unforseen medical issue with you or your immediate family comes up between the time you book your trip or make final payment and when the cruise takes place.

Another is for trip interruption/cancellation protection should the cruiseline go out of business or terminate a cruise in a different port than you embarked.

Finally, insurance is to provide medical coverage and/or emergency evacuation should you need it while on your cruise.

It would be impossible for any insurance to cover EVERY forseeable possibility or the cost would be so prohibitive very few would be able to partake.

From the cruiseline's standpoint, the cruise did in fact take place. They provide booking services on third party providers (airlines) merely as a convenience to their passenger. There is nothing in the contract for DCL or any cruiseline for that matter that says the will provide catch-up transportation and/or hotel if you book your airline travel through them. Most will of course do it from a customer service standpoint, but are under no obligation to do so.

Back to the OP, all you can do now is keep negotiating. It is always easy to write a short letter asking that your monies paid for this cruise be applied towards another cruise. You might pay additional fees (also if the rates are different), but the worst that could happen is they tell you no.

Joel110
03-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I think many forget the real reasons for trip insurance.

One is to protect you if some unforseen medical issue with you or your immediate family comes up between the time you book your trip or make final payment and when the cruise takes place.

Another is for trip interruption/cancellation protection should the cruiseline go out of business or terminate a cruise in a different port than you embarked.

Finally, insurance is to provide medical coverage and/or emergency evacuation should you need it while on your cruise.

It would be impossible for any insurance to cover EVERY forseeable possibility or the cost would be so prohibitive very few would be able to partake.

I think most policies are more comprehensive for cancellation/interruption reasons other than bankruptcy and qualified medical/death issues. The Access America policy has provisions for strikes, natural disasters, bad weather, FAA mandated airport shutdowns, required jury duty, primary residence issues, travel accidents, terrorist acts, felonious assaults, employment termination, travel delays exceeding 50% of trip length, legal divorce, pregnancy and business riders for work requirement, business issues, and mergers.

Also, most policies include travel delay benefits that include reasons like carrier delays (including weather), lost/stolen travel documents, strikes and natural disasters.

From the cruiseline's standpoint, the cruise did in fact take place. They provide booking services on third party providers (airlines) merely as a convenience to their passenger.

I disagree. Disney is still a business. They are providing airline booking services, insurance sales and shore excursion bookings to add to their bottom line. They are acting in the capacity of a travel agent and an insurance agent. We don't know the whole situation, the traveler does have a responsibility to report issues as soon as possible and he/she may have been presented with some options by Disney or the Insurer (i.e. travel to next port, travel delay benefits). But if an issue were to surface, I'd expect my travel agent and insurance agent to step in and help resolve it and not excuse them for merely providing me a convenience.

MiaSRN62
03-30-2007, 10:47 AM
But if an issue were to surface, I'd expect my travel agent and insurance agent to step in and help resolve it and not excuse them for merely providing me a convenience.

I agree Joel.....I know these would be my expectations as well

cruisinluver
03-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I disagree. Disney is still a business. They are providing airline booking services, insurance sales and shore excursion bookings to add to their bottom line. They are acting in the capacity of a travel agent and an insurance agent. We don't know the whole situation, the traveler does have a responsibility to report issues as soon as possible and he/she may have been presented with some options by Disney or the Insurer (i.e. travel to next port, travel delay benefits). But if an issue were to surface, I'd expect my travel agent and insurance agent to step in and help resolve it and not excuse them for merely providing me a convenience.

You need to read the cruise contract which states exactly that. They are no responsible for failings by a third party.

Joel110
03-30-2007, 01:44 PM
You need to read the cruise contract which states exactly that. They are no responsible for failings by a third party.

Personally, I believe there was a resolution offered to the OP and the full story from the OP isn't known, so it's hard to debate on speculation that some how Disney and the Insurer didn't help resolve this.

However, the "Cruise" contract states that as "Sales Agent" for "(a) air or ground transportation or travel; (b) shore excursions (c) tours (d) restaurants; or (e) other similar activities or services" that DCL shall not "be liable or responsible in any way for any death, personal injury, illness or emotional distress occasioned by any Guest, or for loss of or damage to any Guest's property, which arises by reason of any act or omission by providers of air or ground transportation, shore excursions, tours, restaurants, hotels, theme parks or other similar services or activities."

Technically, it seems like injury (mental or physical), illness, death, or property damage seems to be the reoccuring "we will not be responsible for" theme, but nothing specific in the contract that I saw refers to "we will not be responsible for air travel delays, carrier issues, late returning shore excursions, etc." of travel booked by DCL. I don't think the OP was claiming that Delta killed her or damaged her luggage, but there may have been some emotional distress that was involved.:)

Of note, however, is that the "Vacation Protection Plan" and "Trip Insurance" are not specifically listed as an exclusion from the Sales Agent's responsibility within the contract, probably because it's hard to be injured or killed by an insurance policy. The contract also states multiple times "For your peace of mind, we recommend the Vacation Protection Plan", not "For limited peace of mind....".

Within the Vacation Protection Plan, as someone else noted, it also states that "If you purchase the Vacation Protection Plan and cancel your vacation for any reason not covered by the insurance plan, Disney Cruise Vacations will credit 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future Disney Cruise Vacations package commencing within one year after the start date of your original package."

To me, that says if you buy our insurance, and the insurance carrier doesn't take care of you, we will.

LITTLEKID58
03-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Thank you all for sharing .. never knew about the insurance...

cruisinluver
03-30-2007, 02:36 PM
However, the "Cruise" contract states that as "Sales Agent" for "(a) air or ground transportation or travel; (b) shore excursions (c) tours (d) restaurants; or (e) other similar activities or services" that DCL shall not "be liable or responsible in any way for any death, personal injury, illness or emotional distress occasioned by any Guest, or for loss of or damage to any Guest's property, which arises by reason of any act or omission by providers of air or ground transportation, shore excursions, tours, restaurants, hotels, theme parks or other similar services or activities."

IMHO, it says everything right there as far as the failings of an air carrier.

Joel110
03-30-2007, 03:40 PM
IMHO, it says everything right there as far as the failings of an air carrier.

Obviously, we read it differently. To me, that phrase does not stand alone as a sentence and is referencing that death, illness, personal injury and property damage which arises from any act of the air or ground transportation are not DCL's responsibility. She wasn't dead, hurt or claiming property damage. Why not specifically state that "travel delays related to weather, mechanical failure or other reasons of DCL booked travel resulting in missing the cruise are not DCL's responsibility"?

Regardless, the main point overlooked was that the contract makes no reference to removing responsibility for passengers who purchase the DCL Vacation Protection Plan what so ever and that the Vacation Protection Plan contract specifically states that DCL offers a rebooking option for cancellation for any reason not covered by the insurance plan. I'm sure that the OP was offered some options by DCL and the Insurer because of this.

robsmom
03-30-2007, 04:08 PM

USair has declared bankruptcy twice. did it specifically exclued delta or define a time period. without reading it, i would think it was intended to exclude covering a flight cancelled due to bankruptcy not ever flight ever on delta because the previously declared.

NancyIL
03-30-2007, 05:08 PM
USair has declared bankruptcy twice. did it specifically exclued delta or define a time period. without reading it, i would think it was intended to exclude covering a flight cancelled due to bankruptcy not ever flight ever on delta because the previously declared.

I agree that excluding certain airlines means you can't collect from the insurance company if that airline suddenly stops flying. It doesn't mean your trip isn't covered if you book your air on that carrier.

lbgraves
03-31-2007, 11:16 PM

However, reading doesn't necessarily guarantee understanding. I did my best but since I don't have a law degree, I'm sure there is quite a bit I missed.

It does sound like the OP choose to go home not understanding that trip insurance does not provide an automatic 100% refund.

You may want to confirm with the insurance company that USAir will be covered since they actually did file for Bankruptcy. The courts allowed them to exit the filing however, I would double check with the company to find out if that eliminates them as well. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9367286/

MaryKatesMom
04-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Under Traveler Supplier Restrictions:

Travelex Insurance Services and their underwriters are not providing Bankruptcy/Default protection for the following suppliers:

Delta is listed and USair is not. I think Delta is still reorganizing and USair is out of bankruptcy.

Mom24Princesses
04-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Delta is listed and USair is not. I think Delta is still reorganizing and USair is out of bankruptcy.

We live outside Atlanta and Delta is coming out this month. (Which is good since an estimated 10,000+ Delta employees live in our small county.)

ronirp
04-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Where can find the small print for DCL insurance? I currently have insurance from DCL, but I have purchased airline tickets independently (wanted to get in a day early, and traveling from midwest in dec.). My big fear is missing the cruise due to weather delays.
I want to know if I need to look for another insurance, but cannot find the "fine print".

Joel110
04-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Where can find the small print for DCL insurance? I currently have insurance from DCL, but I have purchased airline tickets independently (wanted to get in a day early, and traveling from midwest in dec.). My big fear is missing the cruise due to weather delays.
I want to know if I need to look for another insurance, but cannot find the "fine print".

Here's the policy:

http://adisneycruise.disney.go.com/media/dcl_v0204/en_US/media/myCruise/VacationInsurance.pdf

jilljill
04-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Strange how the OP still hasn't responded. :confused: