PDA

View Full Version : CR new tower

limabeanmom2003
03-26-2007, 08:49 PM
If you have listened to Lou Mongello's podcast at wdwradio.com for this week (episode 6) you heard from the owner of a DVC resale company that the new tower at the Conteporary WILL NOT be part of DVC. So does that mean that the tower will be an addition to the Contemporary with rooms available to all guests? I hope so!

NewJersey
03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
I think its just speculation at this point and no one really knows for sure.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
03-26-2007, 09:03 PM
My personal belief is DVC will go there because it has been rumoured to for the past 2 years or so and now that the North Garden Wing has been demolished that only tells me these rumors were true. Plus how can you explain all these websites that have got blue prints of the DVC building rumoured to be built there? Plus I have had various high ranking Cast Members who work at the Contemporary telling me that 100% DVC will be built there.

Besides non DVC would be allowed to stay in the DVC rooms if they are to be built at the Contemporary. You think it's always DVC members staying at the Boardwalk Villas, Yacht & Beach Club Villas, Saratoga Springs and Old Key West? I don't think so because those rooms are also for non DVC guests.

Lynne M
03-26-2007, 09:10 PM
If you have listened to Lou Mongello's podcast at wdwradio.com for this week (episode 6) you heard from the owner of a DVC resale company that the new tower at the Conteporary WILL NOT be part of DVC. So does that mean that the tower will be an addition to the Contemporary with rooms available to all guests? I hope so!

This guy's just guessing, like everyone else is.

mom2taylorandemily
03-26-2007, 09:23 PM
There is the distinct possibility that they could be building a new tower with rooms and suites. I know that the rumors are out there but it is a still a rumor and it could wind up being just a tower that will be regular rates and not DVC.

limabeanmom2003
03-26-2007, 10:14 PM
You think it's always DVC members staying at the Boardwalk Villas, Yacht & Beach Club Villas, Saratoga Springs and Old Key West? I don't think so because those rooms are also for non DVC guests.

No, that's not what I meant.

limabeanmom2003
03-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Plus I have had various high ranking Cast Members who work at the Contemporary telling me that 100% DVC will be built there.

Seems like everyone knows a "high ranking cast member" who has the inside scoop;) The woman on the podcast heard her info from a high ranking cast member too. I guess only time will tell.

Personally, I don't care for a high rise going up there. I hope that I change my mind when I see it completed. I would have rather seen a new resort go in near MK.

MinnieGirl33
03-27-2007, 08:17 AM

Anybody can book a DVC room/villa. CRO makes cash ressies for these the same way they do for all other resorts. The percentage of each property CRO has access to is just limited & varies based on DVCers trading out to non-DVC options.

Allison
03-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Seems like everyone knows a "high ranking cast member" who has the inside scoop;) The woman on the podcast heard her info from a high ranking cast member too. I guess only time will tell.

Exactly. Everybody seems to know something.;)

It will be interesting to see what happens.

ConcKahuna
03-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Still no announcement from WDW one way or the other. I know CMs who work at the CR, and even they don't know for sure.

BigTimeDisneylandFan
03-27-2007, 08:34 AM
I just listend to the show as well - it actually wasn't Lou who said that the Contemporary wouldn't be a DVC resort, it was his guest who owns a DVC resale company. I'm actually more interested in where the other DVC resorts might be going since it would be GREAT to have Disney in other places like the Caribbean, California, Hawaii and other vacation destinations

Oh hi... I'm new here :)

Allison
03-27-2007, 08:41 AM
I just listend to the show as well - it actually wasn't Lou who said that the Contemporary wouldn't be a DVC resort, it was his guest who owns a DVC resale company. I'm actually more interested in where the other DVC resorts might be going since it would be GREAT to have Disney in other places like the Caribbean, California, Hawaii and other vacation destinations

Welcome.

WDW LifeLong Fan
03-27-2007, 08:46 AM

:welcome:

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
03-27-2007, 10:02 AM
The only thing we can be sure of is that there will be some new Tower being built at the Contemporary. I mean why else would the North Garden Wing be demolished and not renovated like the South Garden Wing? I personally think based on the rumors about DVC coming to the Contemporary that it's going to happen.

Also don't forget there were rumors about the arcade moving to the Fantasia store up on the 4th floor. At 1st everyone was like let's wait and see what will happen, well I was told this would happen last summer by a Cast Member who has worked at the Contemporary for about 15 years. Well since the Fantasia store has now been closed and borded up, that means the arcade is moving up to the Fantasia store once the Food & Fun Center closes. Basically I am saying that was a rumor and even though nothing has been announced we all know it's going to happen based on what the Contemporary has done.

keishashadow
03-27-2007, 10:07 AM

welcome - thanks for the clairification:thumbsup2 .

Can't say that i follow his site-so I'm not really qualified to render an opinion...do know i've read where lou's been wrong in predictions over the last year or so.:confused3

I'm going on record;) , CR will be the next DVC offering (after the bulk of AK is sold):dance3: :banana:

DancingBear
03-27-2007, 10:56 AM
FWIW, it's interesting that the plans and permits that we've seen for the CR are labeled "Contemporary Suites", but the AK plans and permits are prominently labeled "Disney Vacation Club at Animal Kingdom Lodge".

raidermatt
03-27-2007, 12:13 PM
True, the permits were labeled that way, but at least for the stuff through the water mgmt district, it did refer to the development as a DVC within the documents in multiple places. The file name at the bottom of the pages even said DVC.

Also, when the drawings were on the architectural firm's website for a few hours, they also called it a DVC.

If its not DVC, it was either a plan that was changed mid-stream, or Disney took the trouble to make people think it was a DVC when it wasn't.

I haven't listened to Lou's show yet this week, so I can't really comment on what his guest said yet.

StacyPop
03-27-2007, 12:21 PM
It says "The projet is a propsed Disney Vacation Club (DVC) Resort that will be built at the Contemporary Hotel in Walt Disney World, Florida. More specifically, the site of the new construction is the existing noth wing of the Contemporary Hotel." ETC ETC
It mentions DVC several other times in the permit and documents after that.

ruddydvc
03-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Given that all the permits mention Disney Vacation club as the previous poster says, I think it's more likely than not that the tower will be DVC. Also, a representative from a resale company has a vested interest to suggest that the tower will not be DVC; it gets prospective buyers off the fence if they are waiting for a Contemorary DVC.

But as all have stated, at this point it is all speculation until there is an official announcement about the tower

spiceycat
03-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Personally, I don't care for a high rise going up there. I hope that I change my mind when I see it completed. I would have rather seen a new resort go in near MK.

well you might get part of your wish.

heard it was to be called MK suites and although connected to the Cont - it would be stand alone resort.

still haven't heard if it will be just suites or DVC too - or what?

but the tower is definitely going up.

doombuggy
03-29-2007, 12:21 PM

I would do an add-on at the CR in a heart beat, but I am not sure if a tower is the way....for looking at Bay Lake, ok, but what about the other way? The parking lot? No thanks.

raidermatt
03-29-2007, 12:25 PM
...still haven't heard if it will be just suites or DVC too - or what?

Good point... it could be both.

Lewisc
03-29-2007, 12:43 PM
One of the rumors had some of the floors of the new tower being DVC and some of the floors being hotel rooms, possibly suites. The rumor was the Contemporary would have at least the same number of hotel rooms that were in the old wing.

It's possible Disney hasn't even made a decision yet.

tomandrobin
03-29-2007, 01:17 PM
One of the rumors had some of the floors of the new tower being DVC and some of the floors being hotel rooms, possibly suites. The rumor was the Contemporary would have at least the same number of hotel rooms that were in the old wing.

It's possible Disney hasn't even made a decision yet.

I heard it would be a mixed use project. They may be waiting to see how the new DVC portion at Animal Kingdom Lodge works out or not to make a final decision.

Lewisc
03-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I heard it would be a mixed use project. They may be waiting to see how the new DVC portion at Animal Kingdom Lodge works out or not to make a final decision.

I wonder if the higher, more desirable, floors will be hotel or DVC.

DancingBear
03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
I would do an add-on at the CR in a heart beat, but I am not sure if a tower is the way....for looking at Bay Lake, ok, but what about the other way? The parking lot? No thanks.The "other way" would be a view of the Magic Kingdom, right?

tjkraz
03-29-2007, 03:18 PM
FWIW, it's interesting that the plans and permits that we've seen for the CR are labeled "Contemporary Suites", but the AK plans and permits are prominently labeled "Disney Vacation Club at Animal Kingdom Lodge".

I wondered about that initially but one of my thoughts was that DVC was ditching the word "Villas" to avoid acronyms of VCR (Villas at Contemoporary Resort) or CRV (Contemporary Resort Villas). "VCR" we all know and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Honda may have a Trademark or other registration for "CRV". Legal issues notwithstanding, DVC may just want to distance itself from either of those commonly-known acronyms.

I still keep hearing a lot of stories that raise doubts about the future of that land. Some sources claim that the DVC construction was a "go" until just a few months ago and then plans changed. Could be some truth to that or it could just be 'spin' to keep attention focused on the Animal Kingdom Villas.

It does seem that demand for the CR has skyrocketed since the refurb. And if DVC can build rooms just about anywhere on WDW property and see them gobbled up, I don't know why Disney would feel compelled to give them what is arguably the single most valuable piece of undeveloped land in the entire resort complex. That land is right on the MK's doorstep and once a commitment to DVC is made, it's tied up for the next 55-60 years.

tomandrobin
03-29-2007, 04:12 PM
If DVC can build rooms just about anywhere on WDW property and see them gobbled up, I don't know why Disney would feel compelled to give them what is arguably the single most valuable piece of undeveloped land in the entire resort complex. That land is right on the MK's doorstep and once a commitment to DVC is made, it's tied up for the next 55-60 years.

Very true!

pkgman
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM

An owner of a resale company is saying "Don't wait for DVC at CR. You should buy now if want into DVC" preferrable a resale from his company.

DVC at CR is most likely 3-4 years away meaning that resales are 4-5 years away. This rumor could keep people sitting on the fence from purchasing. Why not try to squash as a fact that DVC is not coming. It can only helphis business in the short run.

YoHo
03-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Don't forget the fractional ownership stuff with FS. Maybe that deal changed to contemp situation.

tomandrobin
03-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Don't forget the fractional ownership stuff with FS. Maybe that deal changed to contemp situation.

I really don't think Four Seasons would have any impact on sales of a DVC resort at the Contemporary. Monorail resort with Magic Kingdom views, can't get better then that!

BigTimeDisneylandFan
03-30-2007, 09:30 AM
An owner of a resale company is saying "Don't wait for DVC at CR. You should buy now if want into DVC" preferrable a resale from his company.

Actually that is NOT what was said - just that she (not he), was told it would not be the next DVC resort, and possibly not a DVC resort at all. And she never said that you should buy now vs later.

And it really wouldn't affect resales at all. In fact, waiting for a new DVC resort to be announced might actually benefit someone looking to go through resale, as people who may want to move up to the newest resort might look to sell their old properties at a lesser price.

Remember also that no matter what, whether this is a DVC or not, the Contemporary building won't be built and completed for years, so if someone

DisneyBaby!
03-30-2007, 12:07 PM
OK, maybe I am missing something here, but it seems to me unlikely that the pictures that were "accidentially" posted on the web are what the actual project will ultimately be. If you look closely, there will be a tower, approximately the same height as the CR, but it will only be, at the most, a few hundred feet away, what, so I can look at soccer mom across the way get her kids ready in the morning. The building would have to be either much smaller, or further away from the CR, and what about the new resort on the other side of Bay Lake? Who would want to stay in a 4 star hotel so close to the MK and not have any view of the park? Just my suspicious nature, I think we are being duped here, or at the very least, not getting the whole story. Demolition means just that, they are tearing the building down, they have not built anything yet.

raidermatt
03-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Actually that is NOT what was said - just that she (not he), was told it would not be the next DVC resort, and possibly not a DVC resort at all. And she never said that you should buy now vs later.

And it really wouldn't affect resales at all. In fact, waiting for a new DVC resort to be announced might actually benefit someone looking to go through resale, as people who may want to move up to the newest resort might look to sell their old properties at a lesser price.

Remember also that no matter what, whether this is a DVC or not, the Contemporary building won't be built and completed for years, so if someone

Not sure where you were going with that last thought, but I don't follow the logic that says she would actually benefit from the Contemp DVC rumors. Very few, if any, people are going to sell their existing properties on the bet that Contemp DVC will be available for purchase in the next few years.

But I guarantee you some who are considering add-ons and/or new purchases at AKL are considering waiting because of the Contemp, and DLR, rumors. We see those kinds of things on the boards.

And if people are letting the Contemp rumors affect their decision to buy new, then those considering purchasing a resale are as well.

Like Disney, her current sales will be hurt by the possibility of a Contemp DVC in the future. Only when it actually is officially announced and begins selling would it start benefiting her, and that might not be for quite awhile.

Now, all that said, I am NOT saying she is being untruthful. I'd never heard of her before the podcast, and there's no concrete reason to think Mr. Mongello would give her a voice to spread false information.

So I have no idea either way. I'm just saying that it is true that she would benefit for now if the Contemp DVC rumors were squashed. Of course the more DVCs there are the more she will eventually benefit, but rumors of DVCs in desireable locations hurt her more than the help her.

StacyPop
03-30-2007, 01:24 PM
I agree with that, only because I am holding off doing any add-ons until I really need to, because I am holding out for CR. I have bought all my contracts resale, but I would rather wait a few years for CR, and have to really stretch my points, rather than buying somewhere else.

pkgman
03-30-2007, 10:44 PM
...So I have no idea either way. I'm just saying that it is true that she would benefit for now if the Contemp DVC rumors were squashed. Of course the more DVCs there are the more she will eventually benefit, but rumors of DVCs in desireable locations hurt her more than the help her.

I was probably to short and simple with my post but Raidermatt got the gist of my post in the last paragraph.

Uncertainity can be deal breaker for most people. Do I want to buy from Disney or resale? Do I want 150 (160) points or lesser amount of points? Am I getting good deal now or is there a better incentive coming? Is owning DVC a good deal overall? Is DVC coming to CR?

Remove one obstacle and may enough to sell one resale contract now. I may be wrong but I bet they would rather sell a contract now than waiting for AKV or CR contract to materialize.

Olaf
04-02-2007, 08:20 AM
If you want to listen to that podcast, here's the link:

http://www.wdwradio.com/shownotes/show007-03-25-07.php

She didn't pretend to have the last word. She was just passing on what she had been told by a person who had been a good source in the past.