PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Room Question

Dr. David Q. Dawson
03-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi, sorry for the silly question. Planning our first trip to Disneyland in June. Can anyone tell me if the Tiki Room at Disneyland is the "original" version, or is it the "Under New Management" version like at Walt Disney World.

Thanks!!:thumbsup2

mystic_path
03-26-2007, 06:49 PM
I found this, it says its under new managment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney's_Enchanted_Tiki_Room

Judy from Boise
03-26-2007, 06:53 PM
It is the original show minus one number to tighten it up a bit. Do not miss :)

Dr. David Q. Dawson
03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Great... Thanks!! I miss the original at WDW and was hoping to see it again during our upcoming Disneyland trip! :banana:

DangerMouse
03-26-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm not sure that's the answer you are looking for. Yes, the Tiki Room in DL is the Original Tiki Room. Yes, it was updated in 2005 (by new management at DL), but the soundtrack is still the original soundtrack (nothing added, just enhanced).

From what I understand, the version at WDW is called Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room - Under New Management, because it isn't the exact same show as the original in DL.

Dr. David Q. Dawson
03-26-2007, 07:05 PM
No, it sounds like it is what I'm expecting. The Tiki Room at WDW starts off like the original used to, but comes to a screeching halt when Zazu (Lion King)and Iago (Aladdin) show up all of a sudden (with that annoying Gilbert Gottfried voice) and interupt the opening song. Then proceed to go into their own act. I guess the question to ask is: Are Zazu and Iago in the Disneyland version of Tiki?

DisQueen
03-26-2007, 07:18 PM
How annoying! No "modern" characters, just the old fashioned birds and friends. Don't forget a Dole whip before the show. You may bring it into the show with you :thumbsup2

xmansmom
03-26-2007, 07:34 PM
How annoying! No "modern" characters, just the old fashioned birds and friends. Don't forget a Dole whip before the show. You may bring it into the show with you :thumbsup2

I'm so glad you posted that. I was going to post and ask if they have Dole whip there. It's my WDW must have.

DisQueen
03-26-2007, 08:28 PM
It's there! The stand next to the Tiki room is the only place in DL. The only bad part is that they only have plain whip, not mixed with vanilla like in WDW. Of course, the plain is great. DD (4) and I usually share one and end up fighting over the last bite. :laughing: Just a tip - the line inside the Tiki room waiting area is shorter than the line outside.

GoofyBaby
03-26-2007, 09:05 PM
I found this, it says its under new managment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney's_Enchanted_Tiki_Room

Just a friendly correction. :) The Tiki Room show at Disneyland IS the original show, minus one original number. I was just there two weeks ago and enjoyed the show 3 times! It was so wonderful I bought the soundtrack, complete with the missing number!

I like Wikipedia, but it doesn't always have reliable information. That is only because anyone is free to edit the information and people, though well-meaning, don't always post the correct info on that site. :teeth:

GoofyBaby
03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure that's the answer you are looking for. Yes, the Tiki Room in DL is the Original Tiki Room. Yes, it was updated in 2005 (by new management at DL), but the soundtrack is still the original soundtrack (nothing added, just enhanced).

From what I understand, the version at WDW is called Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room - Under New Management, because it isn't the exact same show as the original in DL.

Just curious. . .how was it updated in 2005? I wasn't aware of this and would be interested in knowing. :)

DUH. . .never mind - I just read the answer! Silly me!

Dr. David Q Dawson, there is no Iago or Zazu in the DL version of the Tiki Room. :teeth:

cryssi
03-27-2007, 01:19 AM
No, it sounds like it is what I'm expecting. The Tiki Room at WDW starts off like the original used to, but comes to a screeching halt when Zazu (Lion King)and Iago (Aladdin) show up all of a sudden (with that annoying Gilbert Gottfried voice) and interupt the opening song. Then proceed to go into their own act. I guess the question to ask is: Are Zazu and Iago in the Disneyland version of Tiki?

The WDW version is hi-larious...however, I would be terribly disappointed if they did that out here. I love the Tiki Room (when DH and I were dating and went to the park every friday, we did the Tiki Room every time...he won't let me go in there anymore :rotfl: ).

I like the Tiki gods...:thumbsup2

auntyjenn
03-27-2007, 12:09 PM
I really did not like the new version of Tiki Room. Iago is very grating and there was too much talking and not enough singing flowers. I hope I can get my friends to go in the DL Tiki Room because they were with us in WDW and didn't like it at all. :sad2:

Cannot_Wait_4Disney
03-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Tiki Room at DLR.
They completely refurbished the entire thing including building and birds and sound system. But it is the original show minus one long element.

Tiki Room at WDW. A completely different show titled "The Tiki Room Under New Management." that starts out with about 10 seconds of the original. Iago then interrupts and the rest is A COMPLETE ABOMINATION. Nothing I can say will prepare you for the sense of violation you will feel after coming out of this show. From the social climbing agents arguing over who got who's client the best deal when you're waiting in the queue outside to Iago telling me and the birds we gotta get hip and then proceeding to play Conga from Miami Sound Machine inside, about the only redeeming quality this show has is that it has Zazu and Iago in it. I'm not sure whether to be upset at the end when Iago tells us we're suckers and can leave or to kiss his tail feathers for sparing us even more of this abomination.

LittleWoodenHead
03-27-2007, 01:20 PM
The Tiki Room was always a fixture of my trips to Disneyland while growing up. As an adult, however, I only visited it every five years or so. So I hadn't been in the DL Tiki Room for quite some time, when I checked out the "Under New Management" version at WDW last month. To say that I absolutely HATED it would be an understatement. I felt like they had stomped all over my childhood memories with that abomination.

A friend told me just the other day that the version at DL had been changed also, so I'm glad to see this thread. It's now high on my list of things to do on my next Disneyland visit (in a couple days!), in order to wipe the horrid memory of the WDW show from my mind.

edited to add: I was typing my response while Cannot Wait 4Disney was posting, so it's interesting that we both used the word "abomination" to describe the WDW Tiki Room....

auntyjenn
03-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, I wanted to use the word 'abomination' too, but I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings if they liked it. Maybe someone really likes Iago. :confused3

Parkhopper
03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know what song was removed?

Suzi

Dr. David Q. Dawson
03-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the responses. Nice to so much passion over the Tiki Room! Also glad to see that it's still the 'original' version (sort of). Now I just have to figure out what a Dole Whip is...:banana:

DangerMouse
03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Mmmmmmmm. . . . dole whip . . . . :love: :cloud9:

Judy from Boise
03-27-2007, 06:47 PM

Suzi

the Offenbach number

DisGirl819
03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
the Offenbach number

Um...What song is that? I have the Musical History of Disneyland and it has lots of Tiki Room music on it...which one is it? I haven't been in the Tiki Room since 2005!

snoodledoo
03-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Did someone mention Dole Whip?? I should start a ticker - :dogdance: 6.5 months 'til I get my next fix!

DisInsider
03-27-2007, 11:55 PM
I like BOTH versions of the Enchanted Tiki Room. Since the WDW version was not the first, I had no problem with them updating it and adding the new characters. I'd like to say that the WDW loyalists are sometimes a little bit extreme in their views, but I guess sometimes they have good reason to be.

After all, they lost Mr. Toad for Pooh. Then the Tiki Room changed. Or was it the other way around? They turned Cinderella's Castle into a birthday cake, and then put a wand over Spaceship Earth. Not to mention the big hat at Disney/MGM studios.

I am not a WDW purist, and I had no problem with any of those additions. In fact, my first trip to WDW was when the castle was pink and I adored it. I know I am probably the only person on these boards to admit that, but it's true.

I am however, a Disneyland purist. and if they did anything like the above here, I'd be very upset. Well, I was very unhappy when they took out the Country Bear Playhouse and put Pooh in. I haven't seen the POTC since the enhancements, but was not happy that they did that either. Oh well, I guess progress has it's plusses and minuses.

Hound 109
03-28-2007, 11:47 AM
......Now I just have to figure out what a Dole Whip is...:banana:....a Dole Whip....is half of............

....... a Dole Whip Float! :woohoo:

hound pirate:

mystic_path
03-28-2007, 11:51 AM
How annoying! No "modern" characters, just the old fashioned birds and friends.

Yep just the old modern characters... LOL like ive posted before, when I was in the Tiki Room the last time I was at DL, when the CM came out to say "Hey everyone on the count of 3 yell, WAKE UP HOSE" and we did and the bird woke up, his head fell off. The CM said.... Hey everyone im gonna have to ask everyone to leave before this disturbs the children. I caught it all on video. It was brilliant. If I can find a way to put it onto my hard drive I will show you all. It was hysterical.

Does anyone ever find it freezing in the Tiki Room? They pump a dole whip into you and then have you sit in a freezer. LOL it was nuts. I think they were trying to preserve the old original birds.

tinkermell
03-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Yep just the old modern characters... LOL like ive posted before, when I was in the Tiki Room the last time I was at DL, when the CM came out to say "Hey everyone on the count of 3 yell, WAKE UP HOSE" and we did and the bird woke up, his head fell off. The CM said.... Hey everyone im gonna have to ask everyone to leave before this disturbs the children. I caught it all on video. It was brilliant. If I can find a way to put it onto my hard drive I will show you all. It was hysterical.

Does anyone ever find it freezing in the Tiki Room? They pump a dole whip into you and then have you sit in a freezer. LOL it was nuts. I think they were trying to preserve the old original birds.:laughing: I remember your TR, and you talking about it. If my memory serves me correctly, you are also not a really big fan of the Tiki Room...so when that happened, that took you over the edge. Am I right????:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

mystic_path
03-28-2007, 12:28 PM
:lmao: Yep you got that right... I now call it the creepy tiki room. It was quite something. Others like it which is great, someone needs to enjoy it, but My mom and I sat there crying in painful laughter. It was so funny.

Hound 109
03-28-2007, 02:20 PM
:lmao: I now call it the creepy tiki room. Others like it which is great, someone needs to enjoy it..... BLASPHEME !!! ::cop:

Careful Mystic_path...we Dole Whip'ers have our eye on you. :lmao:

Actually when we were there 2 weeks ago, the temp was upper 80's & it was a crowded late afternoon, so the "nice & cool" Tiki Room was a perfect 15 minute break for us.

hound :cool2:

SamIAm21
03-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Tiki Room at DLR.
They completely refurbished the entire thing including building and birds and sound system. But it is the original show minus one long element.

Tiki Room at WDW. A completely different show titled "The Tiki Room Under New Management." that starts out with about 10 seconds of the original. Iago then interrupts and the rest is A COMPLETE ABOMINATION. Nothing I can say will prepare you for the sense of violation you will feel after coming out of this show. From the social climbing agents arguing over who got who's client the best deal when you're waiting in the queue outside to Iago telling me and the birds we gotta get hip and then proceeding to play Conga from Miami Sound Machine inside, about the only redeeming quality this show has is that it has Zazu and Iago in it. I'm not sure whether to be upset at the end when Iago tells us we're suckers and can leave or to kiss his tail feathers for sparing us even more of this abomination.

I couldn't have said it better myself. After seeing the original Tiki Room in DLR, the one in WDW is a total waste of time and an abomination. I will never understand why they would take such a classic attraction that Walt Disney himself adored and turn into such a "joke" at WDW. I will never set food in the Tiki Room at WDW again, unless they change it back to the original.

At DL, it's a whole experience. First, you get your Dole whip, then you sit and relax in the waiting area and enjoy the pre-show with the Tiki Gods, then you go into the Tiki Room, cool down, enjoy the show and come out refreshed. In WDW, the birds don't need a magic trick to make you disappear, you'll run from the theater as fast as you can. :scared:

Brian_WDW74
03-28-2007, 05:41 PM
I will never understand why they would take such a classic attraction that Walt Disney himself adored and turn into such a "joke" at WDW.

It's simple. No one was visiting it. The Tiki Room was actually slated to be removed completely, but an Imagineer (whose name escapes me at the moment) came up with the "Under New Management" concept in order to save the attraction. I prefer the original show, but since I do like both versions, I'm glad he succeeded. Would I like to see the original return? Yes. But in my opinion, it's better to have some form of the Tiki Room at WDW than no Tiki Room at all.

*Brian*

Judy from Boise
03-28-2007, 06:32 PM

Suzi

Other than the removal of a minor musical number set to the "Barcarolle" from Jacques Offenbach's opera Tales of Hoffmann and the final verse of Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing, the show has remained otherwise unchanged since its 1963 inception due to a stipulation in the sponsorship contract with Dole that the attraction remain unchanged. As such, the attraction is arguably dated. One chorus of Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing has Josť crooning like Bing Crosby, Fritz scat-singing in a gravelly voice like that of Louis Armstrong and Pierre singing like Maurice Chevalier. Still, the attraction remains among the park's most popular.

disneymom8589
03-28-2007, 06:43 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself. After seeing the original Tiki Room in DLR, the one in WDW is a total waste of time and an abomination. I will never understand why they would take such a classic attraction that Walt Disney himself adored and turn into such a "joke" at WDW. I will never set food in the Tiki Room at WDW again, unless they change it back to the original.

At DL, it's a whole experience. First, you get your Dole whip, then you sit and relax in the waiting area and enjoy the pre-show with the Tiki Gods, then you go into the Tiki Room, cool down, enjoy the show and come out refreshed. In WDW, the birds don't need a magic trick to make you disappear, you'll run from the theater as fast as you can. :scared:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I adore the Tiki Room at DL, but the one at WDW is disappointing to say the least!

Cannot_Wait_4Disney
03-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the responses. Nice to so much passion over the Tiki Room! Also glad to see that it's still the 'original' version (sort of). Now I just have to figure out what a Dole Whip is...:banana:

According to these boards, the best thing since sliced bread. To die for. A slice of heaven.
It's a pineapple soft serve.

will never understand why they would take such a classic attraction that Walt Disney himself adored and turn into such a "joke" at WDW.
It wasn't getting much business. But the problem wasn't the show. It was the complete state of disrepair of the equipment. Now, WDW's version is back to virtually no attendance. On a day in mid-afternoon when the waits at the 3 mountains were well over an hour, there were 10 people at the show we attended. It was hot outside and the place had great air conditioning. And we were 4 of them. And we only went because we had a guest in our party that hadn't seen the show. Otherwise, we wouldn't have been there either.

SamIAm21
03-29-2007, 09:48 AM
It's simple. No one was visiting it. The Tiki Room was actually slated to be removed completely, but an Imagineer (whose name escapes me at the moment) came up with the "Under New Management" concept in order to save the attraction. I prefer the original show, but since I do like both versions, I'm glad he succeeded. Would I like to see the original return? Yes. But in my opinion, it's better to have some form of the Tiki Room at WDW than no Tiki Room at all.

*Brian*

I totally agree with that!! It's too bad that the Florida crowd doesn't really appreciate what a fine attraction Tiki Room really is and how these birds were the first (or some of the first??) animatronics that the Imagineers worked on.

xmansmom
03-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Just a tip - the line inside the Tiki room waiting area is shorter than the line outside.

Mmmmm...I can't wait. Thanks for the tip. I assume you are telling me that there is a line for Dole Whip after you go inside the Tiki room.???

DisQueen
03-30-2007, 08:39 AM
There is a courtyard waiting area for the Tiki room show. You can buy your whips from inside the courtyard or outside (where everyone else is). You'll see when you get to DL. Have a good whip, uh, I mean trip!

Parkhopper
03-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Other than the removal of a minor musical number set to the "Barcarolle" from Jacques Offenbach's opera Tales of Hoffmann and the final verse of Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing, the show has remained otherwise unchanged since its 1963 inception due to a stipulation in the sponsorship contract with Dole that the attraction remain unchanged. As such, the attraction is arguably dated. One chorus of Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing has Josť crooning like Bing Crosby, Fritz scat-singing in a gravelly voice like that of Louis Armstrong and Pierre singing like Maurice Chevalier. Still, the attraction remains among the park's most popular.

We are WDW "regulars" and we were horrified at the changes made to the Enchanted Tiki Room there (I think we have gone into that attraction only about 4 times since it changed years ago - it's almost always empty). DH and I were in Disneyland for the 50th Anniversary and were pleasantly surprised, not only by the large number of people who were there for the show, but also by the number of people who actually sang the songs. It made me actually tear up at the time.

I cannot wait to go back in July with our DS12 for his very first trip to Disneyland!

Suzi

disneegrl4eva
03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
According to these boards, the best thing since sliced bread. To die for. A slice of heaven.
It's a pineapple soft serve.

it is amazing...Ive always eaten the dole whips but last month I tried the dole whip float which is the soft serve with pineapple juice over it and it my tongue do flip flops:rotfl:

Cannot_Wait_4Disney
03-30-2007, 09:41 AM
it is amazing...Ive always eaten the dole whips but last month I tried the dole whip float which is the soft serve with pineapple juice over it and it my tongue do flip flops:rotfl:

I always get the float.

Don't get my quips wrong. I like em. But to die for?
Um no. It's soft serve.

It's filed next to Zebra Domes and Waking up Tink.

(I think we have gone into that attraction only about 4 times since it changed years ago - it's almost always empty)

Four? Wow. I offered everything I own for a two by four on just my second trip in there. Unfortunately, the 6 people not in our party didn't have one either.

SamIAm21
03-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Dole Floats is like the next step up on the pineapple heaven scale. Besides, they are easier to deal with too. The Dole Whips start to melt all over and get messy. If your Dole Float melts a little, it actually gets better!!

Graduate to the Dole Float, you'll never look back!!

I Heart Disneyland!
03-30-2007, 06:21 PM

I always have the Dole float! It's the Dole whip floating in pineapple juice and it's out of this world!!!!!!

faindrops27
03-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Out of 17 trips to WDW. And one trip when i was 4 to disneyland. I have never been to the Tiki room. Would you all say i should put it in my april touring plans or just stick with skipping this attraction. TIA.:confused3

LittleWoodenHead
03-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Well, yesterday I carried through on my promise to myself to drop in to the Enchanted Tiki Room on my next visit to DL, if only to wipe the horrid memory of the WDW version from my mind. And I'm really glad I did!

The last time I was in the Tiki Room was 4-5 years ago, and I remember it as being a bit bedraggled. Feathers looked dingy and faded, petals were dusty, etc. But now, thanks undoubtedly to the pre-50th renovation, its color and vibrancy have returned. (I was seated below Pierre and could easily see how bright, clean and full his feathers looked.) Yeah, the show is "dated" and corny -- but that is part of its unending charm.

As I walked out at the end of the show, I heard a little boy exclaim in wonder to his mother, "It's NOT raining!" And I had to smile, because I remember having the exact same reaction when I first visited the Enchanted Tiki Room at his age. The magic lives on....

Minnie&Nana
03-31-2007, 07:13 PM
How wonderful! Cannot wait to see the original again!

Saw the abominable under new management one in WDW and have never gone back again.

Wish they could bring back the original to WDW...sigh...sweet memories.