PDA

View Full Version : Getting to I-5 from 101

labagit
03-25-2007, 07:26 PM
I know that 101 intersects with I-5, but I believe I've read that those last few miles of 101 are pretty congested. We'll be heading from Northern CA. I'm not taking I-5 at the first cut-off due to visiting some relatives in the Monterey area. I see that we can cut over at Hwy. 46 near Paso Robles or via Hwy. 126 further south. My preference would be 126 because I would like to stop in Santa Barbara, but the reality is that we probably won't have enough time to do much anyways, so I'll let the better route decide. Any comments would be appreciated.

Itinkso
03-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Don't take the 46 as it isn't a very safe route; I drive it quite often as I go to the coast from Central California. The 126 isn't that safe either, it joins the 5 at the Magic Mountain area. I would recommend the 134 as it is multi-laned and a faster/safer route. I think it intersects the 101 near the Thousand Oaks area.

I'm not sure how the ? mark got on my reply...a mystery!

labagit
03-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the quick response. On my map (not detailed, I need a better So. Cal. one) it looks as if 134 is the same hwy as 101, just east of I-5. Is it really a different hwy? If not, should I really not worry about taking 101 all the way to 5?

Itinkso
03-26-2007, 12:16 AM
134 is separate; when you get to the interchange, 134 heads east and 101 continues south. It is a very short hop over to the 5 when you take the 134 and you will then miss the 101 traffic through downtown LA. Traffic-wise, you may experience the same type of traffic depending on the time of day you are traveling.

The only other option if you are traveling during rush hour is to take the 134 to the 210 and then 57 to Katella. It adds on some miles, but this route is usually not bumper to bumper as the 5 can be. Just drive safely and enjoy your time at DL :)

labagit
03-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks; I missed how the 101 takes a sharp southern turn there, so I see it now. Thanks also for the rush hour tips. At what hour in the afternoon does it get really bad there?

Any other opinions?

RMH
03-26-2007, 05:55 PM
If you are coming from Monterey I would considering backtracking just a little and get on I-5 via 156/152 (via San Juan Bautista and just skirting Holister). The ride isn't scenic, but you do get to see the Central Valley. Best of all the speed limit is higher - 70 mph the whole way - and you can get to L.A. much quicker. You will have to deal with I-5 once you get to L.A., but it will drop you off right at DL. It will cost you maybe 20 miles of backtracking, but it will save you a lot of time.

labagit
03-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks. I used the Monterey area very liberally, but we'll actually be further south than that so backtracking won't be a good option. The route you mentioned is how we'll come home.