PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone vacationed alone??

WDWalways
12-27-2001, 05:01 PM
Hi - I was wondering if anyone has done a vacation (not just a day) at WDW alone??? I really wanna come down in February for a long weekend but no one right now can commit to coming with me, not even my spouse!! (He's not sure about getting the time from work.) My only fear is eating alone - I think I can handle the rest! Any advice or stories of experiences out there???

Mackey Mouse
12-27-2001, 05:13 PM
Hi.. You may want to post this question on the DisCon Board.. many of our attendees travelled alone to WDW for the Convention and do so regularly...

punkin
12-27-2001, 05:40 PM
I never went to WDW alone, but I went to a resort in Scottsdale for a conference alone and had no one to eat with. After the lectures were over I had spa treatments done and ordered room service once. After that, I decided to be brave and went to a very expensive restaurant alone (hey I was on expense account). The Maitre D' (sp?) seemed shocked that a woman would be there all alone. (He offered me a magazine to read, which I declined) I had a great dinner and people watched. It was a liberating experience. It's not so scary after you do it once.

wtg2000
12-27-2001, 07:16 PM
I've spent many days at Disney parks alone - including WDW, DL, DLP, and TDR. I enjoy the freedom of being alone, and going wherever I want. As for eating, I don't like sit-down restaurants alone. That aspect is boring and I feel a bit conspicuous.

So when I'm alone I take the opportunity to eat at take-out places and snack a lot. With my family we usually do the formal sit-downs so it's a nice change just to grab quick bites wherever. Lot at it as an opportunity to try different places.

Poohbear123
12-27-2001, 07:40 PM
I have done it the past 2 years and am doing it again in Feb.! My Favorite park to visit "alone" is EPCOT! I eat counter, or sit down, and have NO problems! :D

Simba's Mom
12-27-2001, 09:28 PM
I've done it 3 times and will be there alone next week, 6 days in all. First 2 times I stuck with counter serve, then I heard from others that I should be brave and do sit-down. Think I'll go back to sticking with counter-serve next week. But then, when DH does occassionally go (of my 12 trips, he's gone on about 7), we're really food court and counter-serve kinda people. Only sit-down I have planned next week is GF afternoon tea, and I'm VERY apprehensive about that solo. Otherwise, I'm usually uncomfortable in big crowds, but never at Disney. And CMs never treat me strange as a solo, even when this middle-aged school teacher rides Dumbo twice in a row! I never feel uncomfortable at the hotel by myself, as long as I stay on Disney property, and request an upper floor room. Any other questions, please feel free to Email me. I love my solo trips. I call them my "mental health retreats."

Margie J
12-27-2001, 09:41 PM
I've taken many solo trips to WDW (and other locations). I even bought myself a DVC Membership and stay in the one-bedroom units. It's just wonderful.

Years ago I tried to plan trips with friends but things always fell through. People couldn't go because of time, money, etc. Finally I decided to just go and have fun or else I'd never go anywhere. I tell others when I'm going and they are always welcome to come along but I refuse to be held back by people who can't commit or decide what they want to do. Life is way too short.

I used to feel funny about sit-down meals too. However, I've enjoyed many meals at the top restaurants at WDW, including Citricos, Chefs de France and the CA Grill. I've always been treated like a queen and never felt out of place.

Do check out our Adults and Solos Board right here on the DIS.

MdmMim
12-28-2001, 05:58 AM
I've vacationed at WDW alone many times--and love it! You may want to check out the Adult/Solo board--there are a lot of solos here on the DIS! :D

Claudia Kellenberger
12-28-2001, 12:36 PM
Yes ! I just finished my 3rd trip to WDW totally alone.
I really do enjoy it. I do not have children, but I do have
two cats. My DH does not share my obsession with WDW,
and we don't want anyone else sitting for our cats, anyway.
So, the best solution was for me to vacation alone. Like
Margie, I did have some people who would like to go with me,
but everytime, the whole idea fell through because of money
or vacation time. I did not like eating sit-down at first, but I
forced myself to do it, and now I really like it. I am really
proud of myself for getting past that shyness. :) At first,
it helped to study the park map while eating. Now, I don't
even need that. I have had sit-down meals alone at DxL
( POR) , The breakfast buffets at Swan and Dolphin, dinner
at Sc-Fi drive in, dinner at Prime Time Cafe, and many other
counter service places. Give it a try ! I'll bet you will be
proud of yourself for doing it, too.

:bounce: ;) :bounce:

Carl
12-28-2001, 04:19 PM
to go with me, so I always travel solo. It is probably better for me considering the commando way I like to see WDW. I jump from park to park and attraction to attraction to avoid the lines and crowds. I doubt that anyone traveling with me would want to jump around like I do. And most people are not as line-o-phobic as I am. (How do you like my coined word?) As far as eating alone - it doesn't bother me that much, and the restaurants at WDW are used to it and treat you just like you had a table full of people. Garden Grill is one of the best.

snuggles
12-28-2001, 04:22 PM
I'm going to move this over to Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers for you. I think you will get some great answers over there. Thanks for posting. :)

Kansaswritergal
12-28-2001, 05:29 PM
I went solo in September. Everything was great, but my favorite parts were the character meals.

I went to Chef Mickey's my first night and went to Hollywood & Vine for Minnie's breakfast at MGM my last day and they were both wonderful. Of course I love the characters and when they realized I wanted to interact with them, they hung around so much doing silly things that we attracted a crowd! The CMs treated me like a queen and people at other tables came over and talked with me or offered to take pictures. I don't think you're ever really alone at Disney -- everyone seems to feel like we're all one big happy family on the same adventure.

DaveH
12-29-2001, 12:10 PM
I have WDW alone several times. I had no problem other than some folks had trouble beleiveing a male would go alone. LOL I ate alot at sit down places incuding caracter meals. I would talk to the cast members alot besides having fun with the caracters. If I ate in the food courts I would just make a point at watching the little ones have fun. I am an empty nester. I hope this helps.

DeeP
12-29-2001, 09:58 PM
I have gone to WDW solo 3 times in the past 19 months and I have also gone with family or friends 3 times in the past 19 months. I enjoyed each of these 6 trips very much but I must admit I love my solo trips to WDW. They are more relaxing and I can do what I want, when I want without having to worry about pleasing anyone else. I just returned from a WDW trip with my DD. We had a wonderful time, but a couple times she was tired and wanted to stay at the hotel and rest (she can't keep up with me at WDW and she is 30 years younger, LOL!), I gladly went to the parks alone and even though I throughly enjoyed spending this trip with my DD it was soooooooo nice to have some time to myself and to do what I wanted to do without consulting anyone else for their wants. I am now planning my next solo trip to WDW in a few months and I can't wait. My DD asks me all the time don't I get lonely when I am at WDW solo and she can't understand how I can enjoy myself, but I love it. I have a good friend in Florida that I meet up with for a few days and the rest of the time I am happy as a clam being solo in WDW. I find that I see more, talk to a lot more people and just seem to experience a lot more of the hidden magic at WDW when I am solo then when I am with other people.

preshi
12-30-2001, 12:14 AM
I went for 6 days alone. Here are my trip reports

The Beginning (http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95885) Part 1 (http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96027) Part 2 (http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96051) Part 3 (http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96061) Part 4 (http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96070) Part 5 (http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96072)

Gillian
12-30-2001, 06:42 AM
Thanks for posting those links! What a crazy time you had!

I am still trying to get up the nerve to go on a solo trip. I think I would love it, but I'm afraid I'll hate it!

nativetxn
12-31-2001, 03:32 PM
I was at WDW solo on 11/27 thru 11/29. Then again 12/3 through 12/6. I had a ball. But I did have a few meals with other DISers. The days were my own and I loved touring the parks at my own speed and doing exactly what <b>I</b> wanted to do without having to worry about pleasing other people. It was so much fun.

I loved your trip reports, Preshi :)