PDA

View Full Version : Food on DCL vs food on other cruise lines

josierac
12-26-2001, 12:04 PM
For those of you that have been on a Disney cruise and other cruise lines. How do you rate the food on board.

CamColt
12-26-2001, 01:59 PM
Everyone is different, but IMO, the food itself was good, but I wasnt too impressed with the selections. On our other cruise on the Big Red Boat(no longer around), we got a choice of approximately 2-3 soups, 2-3 salads, 3-4 appetizers, probably about 5 entreess and say, 4 desserts. Even a picky eater like myself had a hard time choosing what to have because there was so much I liked. On DCL, the soups, salads, and apps are put into one category. Yes, you can order more than one, however since there are only a total of approximately 5 things, it was difficult for me to even find one thing I liked. I dont eat fish, so anything with that, was knocked out right off the bat, leaving me with a very limited choice.
I definitely didnt go hungry at all, but I did notice I had a much easier time finding stuff I liked on BRB. Plus, I think I was a little disappointed since I was expecting more. Next time I know what to expect, I know what the menus are, and I already have decided what to order.

Bev J
12-26-2001, 09:24 PM
We have sailed RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, NCL and now Disney, I would agree with the above post and say the choices left alot to be desired. The kids men us were pretty boring. Compared to other lines presentation and taste were just OK. We will probablysail with Disney again but not for the food. We did not try Palo's and food outside the dining rooms were pretty good.

Rose
12-27-2001, 12:07 PM
We have siled Carnival and Disney. In my opinion, Carinval's buffet food was better, but Disney's dinning room food was better then Carnival's. Also found the service on Disney to be 100% better then the last Carnival cruise we were on.

josierac
12-27-2001, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the opinions everyone. Anyone else?

howardk613
12-27-2001, 06:08 PM
We have been on 2 cruises (both on the DCL) and have found the food to be great but the food is not the reason to book or not book a Disney cruise. The ship , the service, the cabins and the overall Disney experience are the reasons to sail with Disney. By the way, not being a gourmet, I LOVED the hot dogs at Pluto's on deck 9 as well as the buffet at topsiders.

deebs
12-27-2001, 06:18 PM
We sailed 12/8 and did not like the food at all. I totally agree with there not being enough of a selection. On other cruiselines you had to study the menu, and narrow down the choices to what you would actually get. On DCL we had to study the meny trying to find a single item we liked. Food was very disappointing.

Palos was excellent though. I would have tried to book it every night had I known how mediocre the food in the dining rooms would be.
I would still travel DCL again as long as I had kids.

Laurajean1014
12-27-2001, 06:28 PM
I have never been on a cruise before our last June Disney cruise. However, I can say that I agree with the other posts. The food is good but not excellent. However, Palo's is not to be missed. We planned another DIS cruise for June 22nd (Western Carribean this time), and plan on making two to three Palo meals. That's how good it is.

Also, I must say that I loved the Chicken Tenders at Pluto's on Deck 9. Wow. They were good.

Hope this info helps. Oh, by the way, the cruise was excellent and deserves a command performance...... :)

txtara
12-27-2001, 06:50 PM
We had a party of 6 sailing and we never had any trouble finding
something to fit our tastes for dinner...We found the food in the
dining rooms excellent, the buffetts were pretty good..and Palos
is not to be missed...the food is unbelievable!!!!...I agree with
what howard said above...the reason to go on a Disney cruise
is not the food...it is the service, the staterooms, the overall
experience, and if you have kids the attention they get!!!

mog
12-27-2001, 11:04 PM
We've been on Disney and NCL (before they started their "Freestyle Cruising" thing). I agree with most of the what was said above. We thought the food on Disney was good as far as quality, taste, etc. - but the amount of choices was not as good as NCL.
On NCL we always had several soups/salads to choose from, then several appetizers, a cheese platter selection, main courses, and desserts. On Disney, I was sometimes hard pressed to even find something to order from appetizers or main courses. Admittedly, I am a somewhat picky eater, but there just wasn't the choice we've had in the past on NCL.

Having said that, let me emphasize that it was not BAD - we were happy with it, but just observing that there wasn't as much to choose from.

josierac
12-28-2001, 09:24 AM
thanks for the comments everyone. The food is the one thing that is keeping me from trying a DCL cruise. We enjoy eating good food and even on Carnival the food in the dining room was great, the buffets were just ok. NCL's food was very good.

For the prices that Disney charges for the cruises I would expect better comments on the food

Anyone else?

Girls Scout Leader
12-29-2001, 07:31 PM
I logged onto www.wdwig and found all the menues posted. They sounded GREAT, especially to this wet-behind-the-ears mid-westerner. So I think it depends on the way you normally eat. Many choices were rather exotic, and so totally different that what we normally eat, so thisis a plus to me. Who wants to eat just like home? Try everything??

txtara
12-29-2001, 09:59 PM
Actually that is exactly what you do.....try everything!!!!...the server always has great recommendations and if you dont like
something they will bring you something else....if all else fails you
can always get chicken or a steak!!!....dont be worried you will
find something...

Girls Scout Leader
12-31-2001, 04:21 PM
I'm SOOOOOOO SOOORRRRRYYYY!!!! I gave you the wrong palce to find the cruise menues! You will find them at
www.*****************
It's a very infromational site, with all cruise menues, including room service.
BUT NOT AS GOOD AS THIS ONE!!!

Tluvs2talk
12-31-2001, 04:37 PM
I alway's ordered what the waiter recommended, and was never sorry. I am a big chicken eater but ate all kind of new food on the cruise. I had maple salmon which was wonderful, escargot Appetizer-loved, seabass-wonderful the pot stickers appetizer-good and a lot of other things I never would have tried, if they were not recommended. I have never ordered fish when dining out, unless it was flounder. Most of my dishes were fish and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. I also figured if I didn't like what I ordered I could try something else or just have room service. We are cruising again in January and I can't wait to try something new.

goodclaus
12-31-2001, 05:07 PM
Everyone's tastes are different! We all enjoyed the food on the Magic. The kids could order from either menu. We usually took the waiter's advice, but if it is not to your liking, you can order another dinner. My family would sometimes order 2-3 different entrees just to try them! Palos was excellent and should not be missed!! It was really fun eating in the different dining rooms. It made the dinners more interesting.

patches-4
12-31-2001, 09:12 PM
HAVING ONLY CRUISED ONCE THIS PAST JUNE ON THE DISNEY MAGIC, WE WERE VERY PLEASED WITH THE FOOD. WE HAVE ONE CHILD WHO IS VERY PICKY AND ONE WHO WILL EAT ANYTHING AND THEY BOTH COULD ALWAYS FIND SOMETHING TO EAT. DH WILL EAT ABOUT ANYTHING WHEREAS I AM MORE LIMITED IN WHAT I'LL EAT, NO FISH OR STRANGE LOOKING FOOD BUT I HAD NO PROBLEMS FINDING SOMETHING EVERY NIGHT. OUR WAITERS WERE ALWAYS VERY HELPFUL WITH SUGGESTIONS AND YOU CAN ALWAYS ORDER A STEAK THAT IS NOT ON THE MENU AND THE QUALITY AND SIZE OF THE STEAK REALLY SURPRISED ME. DD ALSO HAD THIS ONE NIGHT AND HERS WAS THE SAME SIZE AS MINE SO THEY DON'T GIVE SMALLER PORTIONS THE CHILDREN. I WILL DEFINATLY GO WITH DISNEY FOR OUR NEXT CRUISE AND AS THEY HAVE SAID PALO'S IS GREAT FOOD SO JUST PLAN TO GO THERE MORE IF YOU WANT MORE FOOD.:bounce:

josierac
01-03-2002, 02:37 PM
thanks everyone.

HelphelpmeRhonda
01-03-2002, 05:20 PM
We think the food is lousy compared to other cruise lines but the rest of the cruise is wonderful so you can almost accept the food. it is mediocre at best and unedible at worst. The worst food we have found is the the recipes from the "World" menu. Palo is wonderful, so plan to eat there at least once. They will have to improve the food with the new Carnival ship sailing out of Port Canaveral that is going to be their competition. Carnival is pulling out all the stops on food and children's programs, maybe it will light a fire under DCL to do something about their menus and quality. I could live for days though on their chicken fingers and fries.

rloveman
01-05-2002, 08:19 PM
We also found the food mediocre compared with the cuisine on other cruise lines, with a few exceptions (the grand marnier souffle with chocolate sauce was wonderful). Unfortunately, we also experienced some pretty poor service on DCL. Our waiter was borderline rude, and our assistant waiter was nice, but not very competent (got drink orders wrong, forgot orders, etc.). Palo's was very nice (although those in our party who ordered the lamb were not happy with it), but we were unable to get reservations for the night we wanted, possibly because crew members kept sending me to the wrong deck when I tried to book our night there (one said go to 10, then I was told deck 3, then deck 10, then back to deck 3 - all on the stairs because the elevators were so crowded!!).

Needless to say, this lifelong Disney fan will not be returning. Next cruise will be on NCL again, with or without the kids.

kshabare
01-06-2002, 08:23 AM
and dieting all year long. For someone who is counting 7 points for a McDonald's cheeseburg and bringing lunch to work, DCL is delicious! We never had a bad meal. No complaints. Everything seemed fresh. Portions were just right. Deserts were awesome. Can't wait to go. DH and I are counting our points to lose weight so we can gain lbs back!!!!!

Remember, if you don't like it - ask for something else - you're paying for it.

Kim šOš

Linda in sunny SC
01-06-2002, 11:33 AM
In my opinion, the food on DCL was not as good as that on the RCCL cruise I took last month. It wasn't bad, but nothing special. Having said that, I must admit I missed DCL's chicken fingers which the ship we were on last month didn't have.

WiseGirl
01-06-2002, 12:14 PM
I was quite concerned about the food on the Wonder before our first cruise last Feb. Some posts on this board made me think the food would be bad and I recall posting a similar question to this one before we sailed.

My husband and I thought the food was very good and we both really liked the buffets - the food was fresh and tasty. At home we eat lots of fruit and salads and we had no problem finding good, fresh items as well as other tasty things that we liked. My husband does not eat fish or shellfish and he found something to his liking in the dining rooms each night (as did I). We ate at Palo and it WAS wonderful! The advice to listen to your servers recommendations is good - they try to steer you to the best choices each night.

Everyone has different tastes and eating habits - on a message board like this it is so hard to know what others experiences have been - McDonalds vs. 5 star gourmet food? I think you need to decide for yourself and I definitely wouldn't let the food stop you from experiencing a Disney cruise! There is so much more to it than the food and the restaurants... we're cruising again in a couple weeks are are very excited about it!

lisateach5
05-12-2002, 11:10 AM
I was really surprised at some of the postings about the food. I actually never ate at one buffet on our four day cruise but we were very happy with all the food we got. I am pretty picky about restaurants. I would never eat at Denny's and I am from Chicago where we have some of the best food in the country! We were so happy with the sit down places and the service that we ate there for breakfast and some lunches. We also ate at Plutos and got the chicken fingers. We are going on the June 1, 7 day cruise this time. I can't wait! I didn't know you could order more than one appetizer and I will this time. lol That was our first cruise. I know there weren't many choices but often I wanted two of them. I was very pleased with the food. Maybe because I like the exotic things. It was the best I ever had but I say about an 8 too. :wave:

disboo
05-12-2002, 11:48 AM
I have only been on DCL, but I enjoyed their food. I enjoy fine dining locally (Philadelphia area), and the food on DCL was tasty, well prepared, served at appropriate temperature, and in reasonable sized portions. A couple of my favorite entrees were a (big) veal chop with polenta from Animator's, duck breast with parsnips and mashed potatoes from Triton's and the lamb at Palo's. I am an appetizer lover, and found a good variety and excellent preparations.

Our servers, Attilla and George, were both terrific, too.

I think most people would be pleased with their food on DCL.

Mermaid02
05-13-2002, 06:10 AM
Frankly if I dont' have to - shop for it...... prepare it..... cook it..... and clean up afterwards- then IT'S GOOD!:D

For the most part I liked the food..... I didn't like the shrimp cocktail appetizer (it tasted like they had marinated the shrimp in herbs or something) and I didn't care for the lamb..... but other than that I think I liked everything I ordered. Remember- if you don't like what you order..... order something else!

dijid
05-13-2002, 06:41 AM
I found the food to be "OK" at best. It tasted like good mass-produced banquet food, but not like high quality restaraunt food. I had looked at the menus before boarding and thought there weren't that many choices, and when I was onboard I thought there were even less. It seemed that seafood stew/jumbalaya, salmon and shrimp were on every menu. And where were the side dishes? Total disappointment there. I've been on Carnival and RCCL and found their food to be far superior.

rloveman - I'm a bit relieved to see I wasn't the only one who received poor service. As a result, we absolutely will not recommend cruising DCL. Our waiter seemed very stressed and assistant waiter would disappear for long periods of time. Get my chair pulled out and napkin laid across my lap like other cruise lines - ha ha ha! We were lucky to get our water glasses refilled once throughout dinner. Entertain the kids while dining - ha ha ha! We often had to go get a high chair for DS as it wasn't always sitting at our table. I won't bore you with other details.

miksicnarf
05-13-2002, 08:15 AM
Only 2 cruises here--DCL and CCL, and I have to say the food was better on Carnival. Not saying Disney's food was bad, just that it wasn't as good as Carnival :)

Denine
05-13-2002, 09:53 AM
We have been on 5 cruises (3 disney and 2 Princess). We felt the food and service was better on our last Disney cruise (October), than it was on our last Princess cruise (April). I was somewhat dissapointed with the food on Princess.
Just remember, we all have different likes and dislikes. Go on the cruise for the cruise experience. You will always find something to eat!

Buschfan
05-13-2002, 02:53 PM
Having been on NCL, Disney and more recently Celebrity. Celebrity was tops in my book with Disney being last. It seemed like Disney was more concerned with the presentation of the food than actual food quality and quantity. It was like all show and no substance. Disney's snack bar by the pool was very good however. Considering Celebrity is in the premium category along with Disney, it is almost disturbing at the difference between the two.