PDA

View Full Version : UG mentions new country for EPCOT

WickedWench
03-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I was reading the Unofficial Guide to WDW today, and in the World Showcase section they had a 'peek behind the scenes with Jim Hill' that said Disney is in negotions to create a new country that would include a new thrill ride for Epcot and an interactive area designed for 17-24 year olds. Supposedly this country is in Asia. Anyone know anything more about this rumor?

Uncleromulus
03-19-2007, 05:37 AM
That would be nice--but "new country at Epcot" rumors have been around for years.

DisneyGirl4188
03-19-2007, 07:38 AM
It seems odd that they would do another asian country. The already have China and Japan, plus in AK they have Asia.

Disneybag
03-19-2007, 08:26 AM
I'd find Spain or Australia more believable.

doconeill
03-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Russia has long been rumored...I think I remember that they couldn't get any backing from the country though, so it fell through.

Africa as a whole also had been planned, but that kind of went to AK when it was built.

Just thinking off the top of my head of "cultural" centers that are not represented currently:

Russia
Spain
India
Brazil (or other South American representation)
Greece
Southeast Asia (perhaps Thailand? Vietnam?)
Carribean

Of those, I'm not sure if you could unify "Carribean" or "Southeast Asia" as a single entity, so some particular country may need to be the representative.

Thinking in terms of foodstuffs, I think India or Greece might be good popular choices. I'm also partial to Thai food.

Brazil certainly has its share of visitors - it seemed like half of all visitors last July were teens from Brazil... :)

Wick
03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
If it is indeed in Asia, my guess would be India. It has a rich cultural history, it is both unique and flashy in style, its got one of the fastest growing economies and developing industries in the world... Also would make sense due to Disneys recent introduction to the Indian markets.

thefirebuilds
03-19-2007, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=doconeill;17635854]
Thinking in terms of foodstuffs, I think India or Greece might be good popular choices. I'm also partial to Thai food.
QUOTE]

I donno how greek restaurants are where you live, but all I can envision is ordering obscure American, Italian, or Mexican food and having the greek waiter go get it from the other countries for me.

LisaS
03-19-2007, 11:14 AM
If it is indeed in Asia, my guess would be India. It has a rich cultural history, it is both unique and flashy in style, its got one of the fastest growing economies and developing industries in the world... Also would make sense due to Disneys recent introduction to the Indian markets.I agree! Every time we go to Epcot, my DH mentions that Epcot needs to add India to the WS. It's primarily because he would love to see a good Indian restaurant in Epcot, but we're also interested in the culture.

Another Voice
03-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Actually Disney is in constant talks with any company about sponsorships. There's nothing really new here. Disney is trying to expand into India via television and some extremly limited retail. So far I haven't heard of Disney being able to partner up with any large Indian company, one that would be willing to sponsor a pavilion.

Disney was also in talks with Singapore about opening up a Regional Entertainmnet Center in the city-state. It's the multi-story glass pavilion shown in the annual report that everyone was buzzing on for a while. That project has fallen apart, but Singapore is very active in the tourism industry.

tomandrobin
03-28-2007, 08:09 PM
I would love to see Brazil too!

India

South Pacific Region

Australia

Russia

African Country, not from the north, already have Morraco

doombuggy
03-29-2007, 12:17 PM
I was reading the Unofficial Guide to WDW today, and in the World Showcase section they had a 'peek behind the scenes with Jim Hill' that said Disney is in negotions to create a new country that would include a new thrill ride for Epcot and an interactive area designed for 17-24 year olds. Supposedly this country is in Asia. Anyone know anything more about this rumor?

The Unofficial Guide is not one of my favorites, but let's hope that another country is coming someday - I would love to see an India pavilion!

And I can't beleive you are from Kingston! My cousin lives on Pierce and her parents on Westmoreland! My other uncle lives by the armory!

WickedWench
03-29-2007, 12:42 PM
The Unofficial Guide is not one of my favorites, but let's hope that another country is coming someday - I would love to see an India pavilion!

Normally, I wouldn't give it much thought, but it was in a blurb by Jim Hill, and I thought he was a good source? Not so sure. The blurb did mention that the country was rumored to be in Asia with a thrill-ride based on that country's mythology. Sounds like India to me, but who knows?

And I can't beleive you are from Kingston! My cousin lives on Pierce and her parents on Westmoreland! My other uncle lives by the armory!

That's cool! It's a small world after all! :thumbsup2

dkostel
03-29-2007, 12:50 PM
I'd love a great Indian or Greek restaurant - um I mean thrill ride.:thumbsup2

TheRustyScupper
03-29-2007, 01:01 PM
1) I could see how India would be a good fit.
2) The food could be lively and the scenery novel.
3) They could even do computer programming and phone calling from there.

tomandrobin
03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
1) I could see how India would be a good fit.
2) The food could be lively and the scenery novel.

LOL.....

I thought I had read that China and India were target counties for expansion of Disney products, including parks?

Ron from Michigan
03-30-2007, 07:51 AM
It would be nice, but I won't hold my breath waiting for this to happen. There have been rumours like this for years.

annie1995
04-01-2007, 05:37 PM
I'd find Spain or Australia more believable.

Ohhhh, I would love to see Australia!

MJMcBride
04-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Ohhhh, I would love to see Australia!

The one thing about Australia is that it seems to be the favorite for an eventual land at DAK, maybe with the Nemo show as a jumping off point

wildviper
04-05-2007, 12:57 AM
A thrill ride would be a welcome addition to Epcot.

raidermatt
04-05-2007, 02:41 AM
A thrill ride would be a welcome addition to Epcot.

Like Mission Space? ;)

MassJester
04-05-2007, 07:28 AM
India seems to be the best match to me--much to gain on both sides (even though India isn't technically in Asia but its own sub-continent).

I always thought Russia would be a good add too.

How many more countries do you think they could fit in there?

tomandrobin
04-05-2007, 07:48 AM
There is room for four more countries. One to the right of Mexico, one to the left of Germany, one to the right of Germany, and the fourth to the left of france.

Disneybag
04-05-2007, 07:56 AM
The American Adventure is between Italy and Japan.
The spaces that they do have seem pretty small. How about Monaco, Lichtenstein, and Vatican City?

DancingBear
04-05-2007, 08:33 AM
You need to look at Epcot on Google Earth. Landscaping and such hides the spaces, and they'd have to relocate some service buildings, but there is substantial space between several of the pavillions. Particularly if you through in the possibility of tearing down the Millennium building. Between Mexico and Norway, China and Germany, Germany and Italy, Morroco and France, Int'l Gateway and Britain, and Britain and Canada. Also probably between Japan and Morroco.

Golf4food
04-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Then Disney could outsource their reservations line into a building in the India pavilion and we could all try to make our ADRs by struggling to communicate with a thickly accented Indian fellow named "Mike Smith" - just like Bellsouth/AT&T. :confused: :scared:

If it is an India pavillion, they should put it right next to the England pavillion so that the England employees can occasionally try to capture the food preparation space from India's restaurant in order to make extra Fish & Chips for the Rose & Crown.

thefirebuilds
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
If it is an India pavillion, they should put it right next to the England pavillion so that the England employees can occasionally try to capture the food preparation space from India's restaurant in order to make extra Fish & Chips for the Rose & Crown.

WOW :rotfl:

That's sure not to offend everyone anywhere. popcorn::

MJMcBride
04-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Like Mission Space? ;)

or test track

DancingBear
04-06-2007, 11:07 AM
or test trackOr Soarin'

dunnhorn
04-06-2007, 11:10 PM
The blurb did mention that the country was rumored to be in Asia with a thrill-ride based on that country's mythology. Sounds like India to me, but who knows?

Mythology? Greece? It is not in asia, technically - but near enough...?

dunnhorn
04-06-2007, 11:11 PM
LOL.....

I thought I had read that China and India were target counties for expansion of Disney products, including parks?

They could totally do a roller coaster based on a runaway dragon kite.

Anyway - about the Indian sponsor - seems to me that they could probably find any ole major American company for this, considering the presence in India.

Nextel? AT&T? Talk about your irony.

dunnhorn
04-06-2007, 11:13 PM
The American Adventure is between Italy and Japan.
The spaces that they do have seem pretty small. How about Monaco, Lichtenstein, and Vatican City?

There is no way the Vatican would come in with all those gay marriages.

Macca1111
04-07-2007, 01:18 AM
There is no way the Vatican would come in with all those gay marriages.

:rolleyes1 he he
Back to the original idea of the post, Jim Hill is great for knowing things of history and what was to be but never came to pass. However, I usually find him to not be anywhere close on rumors of things in the future, like a new pavillion for Epcot. He throws around all kinds of ideas that will probably never see the light of day. Just my two cents.

Uncleromulus
04-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Maybe the Duchy of Grand Fenwick?? That would fit in a small area.

MJMcBride
04-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Or Soarin'

Or El Rio de Teimpo

allisonswonderland
04-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Interesting.... think about the F&W Fest Australia always has such a HUGE area maybe it would be them-

bthappy
08-24-2011, 12:05 AM
what is wrong with you people, you are all acting so selfish. you are thinking of yourselves qadn where you came from or where youd like to see instead of whats good for disney. what is basically the only big important very popular original disney movie not to be represented by anything, not a restaurant, not a ride, not a show, not a store? HERCULES. Hercules is from Greece. why not do greece? there is so much to be done from that and the movie hercules could actually be included instead of just thrown to the side.

thefirebuilds
08-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Sir, or madam:

with all due respect, I believe you missed the point of EPCOT. It is not to provide synergies with preexisting products, but to present a learning opportunity for a geographically inept citizenship that considers their union of states to be a planet upon itself.

thefirebuilds
08-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Interesting.... think about the F&W Fest Australia always has such a HUGE area maybe it would be them-

I like the idea of Australia, that culture is woefully misrepresented in America.

Padrepride
08-24-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm sure that Disney is raring to go on a new country for World Showcase, granted that they have a corporate or governmental sponsor to back it up. Personally, I would like to see Switzerland, Australia, or Brazil.

Jedi
08-24-2011, 07:12 AM
2007 wants its post back LOL plus this topic was recently brought up in the strategy forum...(for some reason lol)

Michael623
08-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Seriously, you use your first post to resurrect a thread from 4.5 years ago?

nytimez
08-24-2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.contractortalk.com/attachments/f50/22008d1249943492-how-price-labor-4-vinyl-fence-zombie_1-9316_640x480.jpg

iteachlit
08-24-2011, 11:02 AM
In an earlier post, someone mentioned Brazil as a possible WS country. I, for one, would be in favor of that choice.

If it happens, I am going to mobilize 300 U.S. citizens. We will meet in front of Spaceship Earth. Carrying a tall flag, I will lead them through the park and around World Showcase.

Clapping loudly and singing "Yankee Doodle Dandy," we will roll up our matching shirts and our shorty-short waistbands, distracting guests with our flabby, pale American bodies.

When we arrive at the Brazil pavilion, we will head to its attraction, a thrilling boat ride through the history of waxing. My blaze orange flag will guide the throng of 300 past all of the guests waiting in the standby line.

Because we do not understand English, the guests will tolerate this behavior. They may complain, but the CMs know how much money my group is spending. They can tell, because each of us is clutching his own Duffy the Disney Bear, dressed in his Brazilian monokini.

I look forward to welcoming a new country to Epcot's World Showcase.

Jason71
08-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Seriously, you use your first post to resurrect a thread from 4.5 years ago?

I was so psyched that "Another Voice" had returned from the wilderness...then I looked at the date.