PDA

View Full Version : What is the Disney smell you love most?

Arvandor_Ilfirin
03-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Maybe I'm an odd bunny, but one of the things I love about WDW are the numerous and wonderful fragrances! To me, the Magic Kingdom smells like spring flowers, Epcot has a more earthy smell (like huge forests of trees), and MGM has air heavy with all kinds of delicious foodstuffs!

So what is it that really strikes you as a 'Disney' smell? The one you find most memorable...Maybe just the smell of summer humidity? Or is it the mouth-watering bakeries and candy shops? They say smell is the strongest sense related to memory, and I'm just curious if anyone else has a favorite Disney scent? :)

Mommyof2Sweetpeas
03-17-2007, 08:23 PM
I just love the smell of Main Street at the MK. I love the smell of the bakeries!!! I wish I was there right now!!! :)

LoveDisneyForever15
03-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Haha, I like the smell when you go outside, around the pool..in the hotel. Well, it's always been a good smell. Hopefully there's not a bad smell!!
Haha, I pretty much like it all! Love Disney!

crzyred
03-17-2007, 08:51 PM
haha ok this one is strange, but hey that's me. the smell of chlorine and water. that is the smell from splash mountain, i love it. for some odd reason, we had some in one of my classes the other day and i made the comment of it reminding me of disney and my professor just looked at me like i was on crack!!:lmao:

countingthedays
03-17-2007, 10:07 PM
For me it's the lobby of the Polynesian. Wonderfully tropical.

bytheblood
03-17-2007, 10:09 PM
All of it. Bakeries, burgers, train, dole whips, hot tar...even when they don't smell great, they still smell like Disney.

Nala2007
03-17-2007, 10:45 PM
mm, I don't know how they do it anymore, but back in my CM days they would artificially pump out the smell of cotton candy out of vents from the shops on Main Street! That is Disney!! And during Christmas it was peppermint!!!

Tinkerbell424
03-17-2007, 10:56 PM
This may sound weird,but I love the smell if the Haunted Mansion and the water on the water rides.:goodvibes

haha

I love it when I walk into the store or somewhere and I smell the water from like Splash Mountain,I'm like DISNEY WORLD<3

ziggybaby
03-18-2007, 04:52 AM
Hi there :wave2:

For me, it would have to be the smell in Mickey's Philharmagic.
When L'lumiere invites us to be his guest for dinner,
you can actually smell the food.
Priceless memories !

:thumbsup2

Maxie86
03-18-2007, 05:52 AM

Me too,:thumbsup2

pepe of ohio
03-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Me too,:thumbsup2

Plus the smell of pop corn when first entering the MK.

Sosai X
03-18-2007, 06:40 AM
For me, it's at Disneyland when you first walk into Pirates of the Caribbean. It's that musty, chlorine smell. Nothing else in the world I know of has that smell. :love:

pixistix
03-18-2007, 06:50 AM
DD's and I always noticed how the water smells (like in Splash Mountain and all the other water-related rides). So when we're somewhere non-disney and we smell it, we smile and say: "I smell Disney water!":love:

Kazzy1548
03-18-2007, 06:54 AM
DD's and I always noticed how the water smells (like in Splash Mountain and all the other water-related rides). So when we're somewhere non-disney and we smell it, we smile and say: "I smell Disney water!":love:

I agree, the smell of the water (They told me it's the sulfur in it) is realy "Disney unique" for us. It took me a while to figure out where the smell was coming from the first time we went to the world, but now.... LOVE IT...

laura001
03-18-2007, 06:59 AM
:) I don't know if it really equates to a smell, but it is kind of the smell of being outside when the sun is shining down on you and the sky is blue and a very light breeze is blowing.............ahhh. Ok, that isn't a smell, but a feeling.....

Sooze
03-18-2007, 07:02 AM
Hot tar.... love it!!

I also love the smell at Stormalong Bay at the Beach Club.

KStarfish82
03-18-2007, 07:09 AM
I have to agree with pepe of ohio...definitely the popcorn right as you walk into the MK. There has always been a popcorn cart, for as far back as I can remember, right next the the train and on the left after the overpass.

Yummy!

Jrabbit910
03-18-2007, 08:11 AM
there are just so many to list...
the smell of the turkey leg wagons.... yummy...
the smell of the bakery on MAIN STREET
the smell of the Christmas shoppe in DTD
the smell of the Orlando air... you just know that you reached a better place.
but one of my favorites is in Mickeys Philharmagic- you cant beat that apple pie smell!
:wizard:

A&CsMom
03-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Also the smell when you first enter Pirates -- I've been going to Disney since I was a kid and that smell is always the same, plus its one of my favourite rides. It's amazing how strong "smell" memories are.

disgram
03-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Have to agree with Laura. That is not just a smell, it is a feeling!!!
I do like the fragrance of the azaleas that seems to permiate POFQ. Seems no matter where you walk, that fragrance is there!!!

daMomma
03-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Compared to all the other scents you all have talked about I'm going to sound really strange. My favorite smell of Disney is from when I was a little girl. I remember the smell of Main Street just being cleaned. Yes, I said cleaned. It was a smell of a cleaner I hadn't smelled before. When I started working at TDS I found out what the smell was. It was the glass cleaner. Needless to say cleaning the glass on a Saturday morning was my favorite job. Now when I walk into MK all I smell is popcorn and the bakery. They are great smells but nothing beats the smell of glass cleaner in the early morning :rotfl2:

Sooze
03-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Here's another oldie... Do you remember the ride in Epcot, where you went past an orange grove of the future? This was back in the 90's... but I remember distinctly that orange tic-tac smell... mmmmmm.....

Tinkerbell63
03-18-2007, 11:58 AM
mm, I don't know how they do it anymore, but back in my CM days they would artificially pump out the smell of cotton candy out of vents from the shops on Main Street! That is Disney!! And during Christmas it was peppermint!!!

I had heard about this being done some time back. The smell of cotton candy as you enter the Magic Kingdom on the first day of your trip is my favorite.
I also love the smell of the steam-engine train as you're riding around the park.

DisFhan
03-18-2007, 12:28 PM
For me the smell I remember the most is the scent you get when you walk in the Land Pavalion. Also the smell of the Hot tar at Animal Kingdom...

CoralCayTownhome
03-18-2007, 12:28 PM
There are so many to choose from but our favourite is the smell when you walk into the lobby at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We stayed there back in 2002 but always stop by on each visit. :)

CinRell
03-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Mine are: The smell of florida.. whenver I go to Florida I go to disney so that hot humid smell is disney...

second, the musty moldy smell of rides like spaceship earth and IASW are TOTALLY disney!

Third, there is a kind of gross smell that I always noticed even as a young kid... it's some type of cleaner they use combined with certain sweets they sell... it's a sickly sour sweet smell. I love it though because it IS disney:)

Finally, it's a feeling as well as a smell.. the hot humidity and then you walk by a gift shop and the ICEY COLD ac hits you and draws you in (great marketing!) and you smell the florida AC.... it doesn't smell like that in Ohio!

MariaEllerºoº
03-18-2007, 03:43 PM
For me it's the smell of piers at FW Campground. Brings back memories of my childhood of standing there waiting to get onto the boats to go to MK. The smell of the lobby at the Poly, walking down Main Street and the smell of popcorn, the smell of Pirates of the Caribbean, different whiffs of food around World Showcase, smell of AKL. Even the bags after purchasing souvenirs have a wonderful smell. Oh man I want to be at Disney right now! Even our tent has the smell of the campground that I love so much.

dizkids
03-18-2007, 03:58 PM

WOW never thought of this but now that you mentioned it i CAN smell it right now! Hmmmmm the smell of Disney! Can't wait for May~:cool1:

fairestoneofall
03-18-2007, 04:09 PM
I hope this doesn't seem gross, but the smell that I smell out and about that reminds me of Disney is body odor. Anytime I smell that, I think of WDW. :laughing: I wouldn't call it my favorite.

I love the smell of popcorn and the smell of Main Street Bakery most. :love:

SplshMtnLvr28
03-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Splash Mountain! Ahh...

And the smell when you walk into the POR lobby.

PookieB
03-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Here's another oldie... Do you remember the ride in Epcot, where you went past an orange grove of the future? This was back in the 90's... but I remember distinctly that orange tic-tac smell... mmmmmm.....

Yes I agree 100%! My husband and I both miss that smell so much. The ride just isnt the same without it. I also love the smell of the cookies and hot chocolate during MVMCP. :lovestruc Yum

car55
03-18-2007, 04:46 PM
The burning rubber at Lights Motors Action (MGM) the GRYO I had at Downtown Disney. and the electromechanical smell inside of Walt Disneys Carousel of progress.:)

Arvandor_Ilfirin
03-18-2007, 04:49 PM
I hope this doesn't seem gross, but the smell that I smell out and about that reminds me of Disney is body odor. Anytime I smell that, I think of WDW. :laughing: I wouldn't call it my favorite.

I love the smell of popcorn and the smell of Main Street Bakery most. :love:

:lmao: That's funny! I don't find it too odd, as when I was little I had a strangely fruity smelling suncreen which I used in WDW. Well, from then on, whenever I wanted to 'smell' Disney again, I'd just slather on some sunscreen!
Unfortunately I can't find that brand anymore...but there are so many other smells that make me feel like I'm back there!

Everyone has such good and amusing scents that they love! I can't stop smiling when I read them! :cloud9:

Indianadisneyfan
03-18-2007, 05:04 PM
For me it's the smell of chilly dog burbs on Stitch :scared1: There is nothing like it :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: and I hope thats the only place I will every smell that again.

ransom
03-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Like others, for me it's the smell of the dark rides. There's the smell of the water rides, and the smell of the non-water rides. I'm sure the smell is mostly previous guest's B.O. plus the smell of the machinery, the plastics used, and other gross or even mundane stuff, but mixed together it smells like Disney to me! It's the same in Disneyland and WDW, both.

Arvandor_Ilfirin
03-18-2007, 05:19 PM
For me it's the smell of chilly dog burbs on Stitch :scared1: There is nothing like it :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: and I hope thats the only place I will every smell that again.

:rotfl: :lmao: :laughing: :rotfl2:

That is the one smell I've always dreaded from WDW! I grabbed a huge stack of advertisement papers that had the 'scratch n sniff' Stitch chili slobber all over them when I first saw them for scrapbooking...so gross!!!

Needless to say I decided against putting those things in my scrapbook, and instead use them to terrorize my boyfriend if he puts me in a foul mood...:laughing:

steph-in-ky
03-18-2007, 11:03 PM
I love how smells can bring back wonderful memories. I always go to Bath and Body Works and purchase a new scent before every trip for just this reason. Then anytime I use that scent after the trip my mom and sister always say "It smells like florida in here'" or wherever the trip was that I used that particulat scent for. They have not yet figured out my trick. :rotfl: For our Disney trip in May I have already purchased the coconut lime verbena....can't wait to make some new smell memories.

GoofyBaby
03-18-2007, 11:11 PM
For me, it's at Disneyland when you first walk into Pirates of the Caribbean. It's that musty, chlorine smell. Nothing else in the world I know of has that smell. :love:

I have to second this one! We rode Pirates at DL about 10 times this past week and I loved getting to smell that water smell every time! I just love it! :teeth:

SplshMtnLvr28
03-19-2007, 06:57 AM
I love how smells can bring back wonderful memories. I always go to Bath and Body Works and purchase a new scent before every trip for just this reason. Then anytime I use that scent after the trip my mom and sister always say "It smells like florida in here'" or wherever the trip was that I used that particulat scent for. They have not yet figured out my trick. :rotfl: For our Disney trip in May I have already purchased the coconut lime verbena....can't wait to make some new smell memories.

Yes! I used this one body spray when I went to Paris, and now whenever I use I always say, "ah, it smells like Paris in here!"

auntread
03-19-2007, 08:05 AM
I agree about the smell of POTC :love: :love: that musty smell!!!

perdidochas
03-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Maybe I'm an odd bunny, but one of the things I love about WDW are the numerous and wonderful fragrances! To me, the Magic Kingdom smells like spring flowers, Epcot has a more earthy smell (like huge forests of trees), and MGM has air heavy with all kinds of delicious foodstuffs!

So what is it that really strikes you as a 'Disney' smell? The one you find most memorable...Maybe just the smell of summer humidity? Or is it the mouth-watering bakeries and candy shops? They say smell is the strongest sense related to memory, and I'm just curious if anyone else has a favorite Disney scent? :)

Stitch's burp. I feel the Disney magic when my youngest son is giggling after Stitch burps in our face at the Stitch ride.

perdidochas
03-19-2007, 08:26 AM

:yay::yay::yay::dance3:

MindyLuvsMickey
03-19-2007, 10:57 AM
I love the smell of the lobby in the Poly, too. Don't know why, but it smells like Disney to me.

PKWallaby
03-19-2007, 11:42 AM
For me I think it has to be the orange smell during Soarin'...or the apple pie smell during Mickey's PhilharMagic. Yum...2 more days until I am smelling all the sweet Disney smells again!!!!:cool1:

Experiment523
03-19-2007, 11:45 AM
I love the smells of Main Street and anything to do with the food stops.

snickerboo
03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
The chocolate smell in the candy/fudge shop on Main Street USA-absolutely heavenly!

Disney MAINEiac
03-19-2007, 12:04 PM
haha ok this one is strange, but hey that's me. the smell of chlorine and water. that is the smell from splash mountain, i love it. for some odd reason, we had some in one of my classes the other day and i made the comment of it reminding me of disney and my professor just looked at me like i was on crack!!:lmao:

Yup! that's the one that does it for me too.:goodvibes

KingdomHeartsFan
03-19-2007, 12:10 PM
My favorite is the smell when you first walk into Soarin'! It's like a perfect combination of all the smells used in the ride all rolled into one heavenly aroma!

MegansMom
03-19-2007, 12:24 PM
For the longest time, every time I thought about Disney world, a scent filled my mind that I knew had to be a memory from my trips with my family when I was younger. I never could remember where it was from or what it was connected to, but I could "smell" it in my mind as if I was right there at WDW. I came to know it as my WDW scent, and it was the first thing I thought of if ever I thought about WDW, talked about it, or heard someone else telling me about one of their trips. When I took my DH and DD to WDW last September--I found it!! At first I thought it was the wonderfully sweet scent of "It's A Small World," but when we walked into the lobby of the Polynesian on our way to our dinner at O'hana one night, I was instantly hit by the sweet aroma of the POLY lobby and knew that was it! We stayed at Poly a couple of times as a child, and I know that is where I got my Disney Smell!! I love it--it just screams DISNEY in my head!!:)

Andi
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM

YES, YES, YES!!! That's the thing I remember most from my WDW trips with my parents when I was a teenager!! To this day, it's one of my favorite scents and I buy whatever orange room fresheners I can find simply because it reminds me of Disney back in the day! :goodvibes

The damp, dank, musty POTC smell is quite memorable, too...

thatduffgirl
03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
I think of Epcot when I smell funnel cakes!

MagicAddict2178
03-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Such a great question! My favorite Disney smells are the inside of Spaceship Earth, the chlorinated water smell from the water rides, and the smell as you walk past the ice cream shop on Main Street - it always pulls me and my family in, no matter what, whether we're hungry or not! I can't wait to be back! :love:

BettyBoop.IOA
03-19-2007, 02:34 PM
I have to agree with others, you gotta love that Disney water! Especially on Its a small world! It's such a Disney smell in there! princess:

DisneyGirlie
03-19-2007, 02:57 PM
The smell of Disney hotel rooms, indoor rides/attractions, water rides, basically everything. It may sound weird but has anyone (other than myself) noticed that indoor rides/attractions have a certain smell...not necessarily bad, not necessarily good, just disney. It may be the air conditioning, heck if I know. It just has that smell. And I also love the Philhar Magic smell when they are at the Beauty & the Beast part and you smell the desserts...mmmm. My mom always says that she wished they sold that smell because she would definitely buy it.

earthfaries
03-19-2007, 03:05 PM

Me Too!!! I love the smell from the water rides! When I rarely smell that smell I say "OOH, Disney World, Splash Mountain!" and people also look at me like I am crazy, but it puts you right back on the ride!:wizard:

TheDisneyGirl02
03-19-2007, 06:57 PM
I love the smell going into Adventureland from Main Street hub. It smells like green peppers to me. I can't tell you why, but it does and I love it! Whenever I smell green peppers, I smile and think of WDW! :)

nollequeen
03-19-2007, 07:06 PM
To me the Monorail has always smelled faintly of horses. Not like a barn or anything but the smell of clean horses. If you ride or have ridden you will know what I mean. What is with that?

Tinkerboy00
03-19-2007, 07:36 PM
During MNSSHP, at the end, the thing that Goofy rides on, as they give out candy!! It blowed up these bubbles, and the whole air around it smelled like Cotton Candy!!:cloud9: :love:

WDWHeather
03-19-2007, 07:47 PM
To me the Monorail has always smelled faintly of horses. Not like a barn or anything but the smell of clean horses. If you ride or have ridden you will know what I mean. What is with that?

haha. You are so right! It does smell very horse-y on the monorail.

My favorite smells are the inside of Spaceship Earth, especially when you go through the dark ages and the book burning. I also love Philharmagic when you smell the apple pie. YUM! I also love the smell in Soarin'. From the moment you step in, it has a great smell! The musky, damp smell in Pirates is another favorite. Those all say Disney to me!

tangiblehope
03-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I definately love the smell of Main Street and the bakery. That mixed in with the piped in music is just magic!

JPN4265
03-20-2007, 05:18 AM
My favorite smell use to be the orange smell in The Living with the Land Ride, but since that is gone, I'll go with the roasted pecans throughout the Disney parks.:lmao:

Tinkerboy00
03-20-2007, 09:53 AM
haha. You are so right! It does smell very horse-y on the monorail.

My favorite smells are the inside of Spaceship Earth, especially when you go through the dark ages and the book burning. I also love Philharmagic when you smell the apple pie. YUM! I also love the smell in Soarin'. From the moment you step in, it has a great smell! The musky, damp smell in Pirates is another favorite. Those all say Disney to me!

i love that as well

Sorsha
03-20-2007, 10:11 AM
CinRell posted:
"Mine are: The smell of florida.. whenver I go to Florida I go to disney so that hot humid smell is disney...

second, the musty moldy smell of rides like spaceship earth and IASW are TOTALLY disney!"

I TOTALLY agree with you! It may sound strange, but for me, that FL musty-ness smell, the high-humidity smell, IS Disney World. The other ride where I remember it is Energy, in the dinosaur swamp. :)

LuluLovesDisney
07-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Mall Fountains = water rides/Disney smell
Apple Spice Candle = PhilharMagic
Brown Sugar Body Scrub (Avon) = Sleepy Hollow Caramel Corn
Banana Boat Sunscreen = Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach

I smelled a shower gel that reminded me of the Swan once and I can't find it again, don't know what it was. I think it was Softsoap brand though.

CursedAngel
07-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I just love the smell of Main Street at the MK. I love the smell of the bakeries!!! I wish I was there right now!!! :)

I was thinking the same thing...walking down Main Street and passing the Bakery/Candy Store.

TreslovesWDW
07-14-2010, 02:46 PM

So funny me too....I always wear my Sweet Pea in disney because I don't want strong perfume smell. Whenever I do where it at home (rarely) my DD says mom you smell like Disney. So Sweet...I can't wait to go 7 more weeks:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

DMOMof3
07-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Mine is the exit into the gift shop from the ride in Norway. There is a display for Laila perfume, at least it was still there in 12/06. I purchase a bottle whenever I am there. It's now my summer scent and I think of Disney every day!
:flower3:

prattpak
07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
I know this might sound wierd but my favorite smell is the Pirates of the Carribean ride. The water smell reminds me of the amazing times at WDW. As soon as we arrive we go there to ride it and that smell brings the whole trip together.

JoePa4Ever
07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
I agree about the smell of POTC :love: :love: that musty smell!!!

Ditto for me - this is the one smell that stands out the most for me.

♥Cleo
07-14-2010, 03:19 PM

This is such a cute question. Some of my favorite smells are kinda funny when I think about it. I love the way the inside of spaceship earth smells [& feels nice & cool & relaxing;] I also like the way the Carousel of Progress smells. I guess this is b/c the r older attractions & remind me of when we were young & went to Disney. I love the way the water fountains smell @ Epcot 2. & of course the bakery smells nice 2. = )

queenie:]VMK
07-14-2010, 08:18 PM
I know this might sound wierd but my favorite smell is the Pirates of the Carribean ride. The water smell reminds me of the amazing times at WDW. As soon as we arrive we go there to ride it and that smell brings the whole trip together.

haha. I was thinking the same thing! The smell of the water from Pirates of the Caribbean is the thing I remember most about going to Disneyland. pirate:

PIRATEGIRL007
07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
I like Main Street. Yummy sweet smellls from the bakery, fresh popcorn, and the smell of clean streets. I just love walking thru main street first thing in the morning and taking in all of the smells of the park.

LILOLO
07-15-2010, 04:43 PM
VMK;37391325']haha. I was thinking the same thing! The smell of the water from Pirates of the Caribbean is the thing I remember most about going to Disneyland. pirate:

Too funny! Same here, and DBF thinks I'm crazy. Sometimes, if we're near one of those fountains at a mall, I'll stop and inhale and say it smells like Disney... :rotfl:

MRCHIPS
07-15-2010, 05:35 PM
I dont think your weird lol I love the smell of the rockin roller coaster when you walk into the ally

KStarfish82
07-15-2010, 08:48 PM
I asked my husband what the water smell was because he is a pool operator and works with the chemicals. Chlorine has a very distinct smell, but what they are actually using is bromine. So when you get that "water" smell from a fountain of some of our favorite rides, it is actually bromine.

Just a little info... :thumbsup2

bullet3600
07-15-2010, 08:58 PM
I would have to say the Turkey Legs, I've never had any quite the same as in Disney and the smell is the best!

LuluLovesDisney
07-15-2010, 08:59 PM
I asked my husband what the water smell was because he is a pool operator and works with the chemicals. Chlorine has a very distinct smell, but what they are actually using is bromine. So when you get that "water" smell from a fountain of some of our favorite rides, it is actually bromine.

Maybe we can bottle bromine with little mickey ears in a bottle and make a few bucks on "Eau de Disney"!

mafiofiddler
07-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Got to agree with a bunch of posters here: love that Disney "water" smell! Splash Mountain, PoC, Jungle Cruise, even BTMRR! Also love the Epcot "air conditioning" smell when contrasted with the humid Florida outside air. So missing the Mouse House right now!

KStarfish82
07-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Maybe we can bottle bromine with little mickey ears in a bottle and make a few bucks on "Eau de Disney"!

Let's pitch to Disney...and make them give us a cut! :rotfl2:

spaceranger1217
07-15-2010, 09:44 PM
My all time favorite smell is...the smell of a clean rental car:rotfl2: everytime i get into a car with the "new car smell" my mind goes straight to Disney!!!

My second favorite disney smell has to be from rome burning in Spaceship Earth

TaylorsLoveDisney
07-16-2010, 08:50 AM
The Sweet Smell of the MAgic Kingdom!!!

Checkers
07-16-2010, 09:07 AM
:)The smell outside the BWVs to me is one of hot dogs, cotton candy, etc. and is just like a carnival. Also like the scent at BC/BCVs lobby. If you want to carry it into your home just go to Bath & Body Works and get Rain Kissed Leaves, takes you right back!

prattpak
07-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Ask your husband if it is safe to have a big bowl of bromine water on my kitchen counter. :thumbsup2

DisneyRookie2007
07-16-2010, 11:43 AM
The smell of pines on Soarin'

Leasha_Loves_Disney
07-18-2010, 07:51 PM
my two favorite smells in all of disney are: the disney "water smell" and the smell of the monorail. i think it's so funny because at random points every once in a while my family will stop and say "do you smell that?!?... it smells like disney!!!!" most people just look at us like we are crazy but we love it everytime it happens.

Princess&JackMom
07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
One of my favorite smells that reminds me of Disney is actually a candle I bought in DHS a few years ago...it was called "Fireworks." I still have the jar (with, of course, the park topper) and hope they still sell it so I can get more on my next trip!

wicked.witch.of.wdw
07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
I’m all over that “Disney water” smell, too <3 My entire family thinks I’m crazy, but I can’t get enough of it ^__^ Just one more reason why Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean are my favorite rides!

poohbear luvs grumpy
07-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Another one here for the water rides. I am more familiar with Disneyland and there were jasmine plants all over the place. I love that smell. It wasn't until my trip to Florida while walking through Saratoga Springs that I finally figured out it was coming from that particular plant. I got home planted a bunch around my yard and they all died. I guess I will just have to go back to Disney .;)

Grendalynn
07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Got to agree with a bunch of posters here: love that Disney "water" smell! Splash Mountain, PoC, Jungle Cruise, even BTMRR! Also love the Epcot "air conditioning" smell when contrasted with the humid Florida outside air. So missing the Mouse House right now!

:lmao: :rotfl2::thumbsup2 This is THE BEST!!! I am not crazy!! I am not alone and there are actually others out there like me!! I have found my home here on The Dis!!!

I LOVE the smell of the water at WDW and the resorts .... most specifically i flash back to the early 80's and the waterfall at The Poly and Small World!! And to think the smells are still the same 30 years later!!

my two favorite smells in all of disney are: the disney "water smell" and the smell of the monorail. i think it's so funny because at random points every once in a while my family will stop and say "do you smell that?!?... it smells like disney!!!!" most people just look at us like we are crazy but we love it everytime it happens.

i have to echo the smell (and sounds) of the monorail!! I used to take huge whiffs of air conditioners in random places on vacation and say the same things - "DO YOU SMELL THAT??? IT SMELLS LIKE DISNEY WORLD!!!" Then my family would look at me like i had 3 heads.... :confused3 My dad and sisters would make fun of me and say, "smell it, Gret, smell it!" in this weard whiney kind of voice... :rolleyes1 i still do the "smelling" to this day!! now my own kids think I am weird. They will appreciate it some day!!??

DavePaulUK
07-21-2010, 11:45 PM
I've always liked the smell of the baked goods on Main Street in the morning. Love grabbing a muffin there for breakfast!

Dave

DavePaulUK
07-21-2010, 11:48 PM
The smell of pines on Soarin'

The pines are good. I like the smell of the orange groves on Soarin', too. :thumbsup2

Dave

Grendalynn
03-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Ok, so last week while i was driving in my car, I went to the glove box to grab a napking so I could blow my nose... TMI, I know.... But when I went to take a big breath in before I "let it all out" and OMG! I smell the Polynesian! :idea: Or the water from Small World, Splash Mountain or about any water feature at WDW!! You know - that musty waster smell?? I took napkin after napkin and took a huge deep breath in, enjoying every moment of the smell. I know. I am a total freak, and my husband, kids and entire family think I am Whacked. But then I rememebred this thread and knew I just had to post! :rotfl:

Oh, and that smell solidified my descision to surprise our boys with a surprise mini-vacation at WDW over Easter! :woohoo:

AllSaints
03-20-2011, 10:43 PM
I know this sounds weird...but if I ever drink Sprite Zero as a fountain drink....it smells like the fountains at Epcot. Weird, yes....but my husband confirms it. If you buy it in cans or plastic bottles, it doesn't smell like that. I call it my "Disney water"..lol

Megan76
03-20-2011, 11:16 PM
I am so surprised no one has already mentioned this but I absolutely LOVE the way the dinosaur ride smells at Animal Kingdom! I know it's supposed to smell woodsey and earthy but to me, it smells like a mix of cardboard and soft pretzels LOL!:rotfl2:

I also think the Disney Cruise has a distinct smell. I can't put my finger on what exactly it smells like but everytime I board I notice it! Must be what they use to clean!

qwerasdfvvv
03-21-2011, 03:30 AM
Ok, so last week while i was driving in my car, I went to the glove box to grab a napking so I could blow my nose... TMI, I know.... But when I went to take a big breath in before I "let it all out" and OMG! I smell the Polynesian! :idea: Or the water from Small World, Splash Mountain or about any water feature at WDW!! You know - that musty waster smell?? I took napkin after napkin and took a huge deep breath in, enjoying every moment of the smell. I know. I am a total freak, and my husband, kids and entire family think I am Whacked. But then I rememebred this thread and knew I just had to post! :rotfl:

Oh, and that smell solidified my descision to surprise our boys with a surprise mini-vacation at WDW over Easter! :woohoo:

good

tigger813
03-21-2011, 05:24 AM
The smell of the orange groves on Soarin'! We've found a Yankee Candle that smelled similar and then I got a body wash from B&BW that smelled even more like it!

mytripsandraces
03-21-2011, 07:05 AM
I love the animal cracker smell on Heimlich's Chew Chew Train in A Bug's Land at DCA.

Joolish1313
03-21-2011, 07:15 AM
What a great thread! My favorite all time Disney smell is the fresh waffle cones on Main Street. Followed by popcorn & Tonys restaurant. As for non-food smells, this is weird but o love it, the soap in the parks. Target sometimes uses the same one. Also the Spaceship Earth smell, not just the burning but the entire ride. And oranges on Soarin'

ChrystalUnicorn
03-21-2011, 07:53 AM
This is a good tread. I loved the smell of the little round Mickey soap bars in the hotel. I loved it so much that I asked the maid for extra on our last day she left about two dozen ! Now we use it while we are counting down to our next trip.

Mrs. Sojourner
03-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Popcorn! popcorn::

car55
03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
I love this thread !! There is something special about a smell that brings you back to a happy place. I have several. I take the train from CT. to WDW. Everytime I smell the hand soap Amtrak uses It makes me smile. I love the smell of the flowers at Old Kew West. And odly enough the machinery and electrical smell inside the Carousel of Progress. :confused3

pheonixheart
03-21-2011, 09:02 AM
My mother and I are taking a trip with YS4 in May and the one thing I keep thinking about is the second I step outside the airport while waiting for The Magical Express...THAT is the smell, it's all I have been able to think about for 2 weeks!!!! That smell that you know your home. My favorite thing to do at Disney is to wake up early before anyone in my family and take a walk just at dawn...that smell of warmth if that makes sense, it's a comfort and it's the thought of all the fun that is about to be had that day. Pirates definately brings back all the memories of my childhood waiting in line for what seemed like hours...now my children get to have those memories.

lovetoscrap
03-21-2011, 11:08 AM
This is an old thread that was bumped up but still a fun topic! I am going to move it to the Theme Parks Community Board to continue.

One_Song
03-21-2011, 03:51 PM
The Peanut Brittle! I also love the smell during the Be Our Guest scene of Philharmagic :)

marielynn724
03-21-2011, 06:45 PM
love this thread!

my favorite disney smell... hard to narrow it down! 2 that i really love because they are such awesome, well-thought-out details are the burning in spaceship earth and the orange blossoms in soarin. but my FAVORITE disney smell is the marshmallowy-ness of those mickey rice krispies and all the places that sell them! mmmmmmmmm delish :lovestruc

BeckyKay
03-21-2011, 07:02 PM
The Main Street Bakery, for sure! That smell whafts down mainstreet and no matter which park we are visiting, we always make it back to the MK for a yummy Apple Charlotte. It is huge and would last me several days if it were anything else! I always indulge at the end of the night so I can head back to the room for some stretchy pajama bottoms :)

delaneyc52
03-21-2011, 07:23 PM
We always get a room at Boardwalk with Boardwalk view....so when you sit out on the patio you can smell Big River Grille --- yum. And in the morning when we go out for a run, the Boardwalk bakery smells heavenly.

delaneyc52
03-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Thought of another! Whenever I smell chipotle, I think of The Land in Epcot!

BigTikiDaddy
03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
This one will seem strange, but there is something about the smell of the Classic Hall at the POP. After getting into the Everything POP section, I headed to get our mugs, and was hit by the smell, which I cannot at this time describe, but all I could think at the time was "this smells right". I am trying to remember the "disney water" smell, but can't picture it for the life of me right now...

jennylynn69
03-22-2011, 06:01 AM
Oh my goodness-AWESOME thread!!!! There are so many smells I LOVE at WDW :) The Main Street Bakery, Churros or Turkey Legs in Frontierland... Disney Popcorn..The smells from all the water rides, POTC,Splash, IASW,Kali River...Oh and the smell from Spaceship Earth when Rome is burning...LOL!!! I know weird huh? I saw Dinosaur also mentioned and funny but I LOVE that smell too :) There is just something about the air around WDW-Sometimes when you are out and about a smell will hit you and it brings you back to WDW...... I love it when that happens :)

Grendalynn
03-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Oh my goodness-AWESOME thread!!!! There are so many smells I LOVE at WDW :) The Main Street Bakery, Churros or Turkey Legs in Frontierland... Disney Popcorn..The smells from all the water rides, POTC,Splash, IASW,Kali River...Oh and the smell from Spaceship Earth when Rome is burning...LOL!!! I know weird huh? I saw Dinosaur also mentioned and funny but I LOVE that smell too :) There is just something about the air around WDW-Sometimes when you are out and about a smell will hit you and it brings you back to WDW...... I love it when that happens :)

:thumbsup2 Glad to see others share my affinity for Mouse Culture....

jennylynn69
03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
:):):):):)

Joolish1313
03-23-2011, 10:52 AM
This one will seem strange, but there is something about the smell of the Classic Hall at the POP. After getting into the Everything POP section, I headed to get our mugs, and was hit by the smell, which I cannot at this time describe, but all I could think at the time was "this smells right". I am trying to remember the "disney water" smell, but can't picture it for the life of me right now...

I agree about POP! I wouldn't have thought of it, but yeah, you're right. It's the first "Disney smell" in the morning and usually the last one at night. We ordered a pizza, got a bottle of wine & my DH and 2 friends hung out there for an entire night. It was so much fun! I wish they had an indoor bar - the petals bar is a joke.

Must C Mickey
03-23-2011, 11:18 AM
My fav smell at WDW is any of the water rides. Don't know what it is about the smell of Disney water but I love it. Lets me know that I am at WDW!!!

Oh and the Mickey Soap in your room!!! Love the smell of that. I take plenty home w/ me so I can shower w/ it when I'm missing WDW. Lol, I'm Disney crazy...

bluejasmine
03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
MSB and the candy place next door

GF lord that lobby smells great, I asked a CM and they claim it Basin upstairs but I dont think so, DTD doesnt smell like that around Basin..

Anyone ever notice that the monorail smells like a bandaid? LOL I love the monorail but every time I step on it, I think about that..

stitchlet
03-23-2011, 11:58 AM
. . .Anyone ever notice that the monorail smells like a bandaid? LOL I love the monorail but every time I step on it, I think about that..

Completely agree! :goodvibes

I also admit to getting excited when the liquid soap in a public restroom smells like the one they use at WDW . . . glad to see I'm not alone! :scared1:

We always bring home some of the hotel soaps & shampoos . . . whenever I need a Disney pick-me-up, I break one of those out and get my "fix"!

Wish I knew what they used to clean the GF hotel rooms with - if I could make my house smell like that, I'd want to clean a lot more often! ;)

John Paul
03-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Love the smell at the old Horizons in the Orange Grove!
Love the smell in SE Rome burning
I even Love to smell the Sulphur in the sprinklers...Lets me know I am at Disney!

jennylynn69
03-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Oh all the smells remind me of WDW!!!! I so cannot wait to get back :):):)

IslandAdventure4
03-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Love the old greasey oily musty smell on Big thunder Mountain.

jennylynn69
03-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Oh this thread is really making me think of WDW- Not that I don't do that enough!!! LOL!!!!

Wall-Eva
06-01-2011, 11:46 PM
The smell of the fake smoke in Spaceship Earth as you enter! That is the best! :D

jms1022
06-02-2011, 06:00 AM
for me, its got to be the smell of potc. also i just get this smell when we go under the wdw arch that just smells like, well, the best smell ever!

disneymom1229
06-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Splash Mountain!! :love: Actually, any of the "water" rides....:flower3: Also, the smell of BBQ sauce reminds me of Pecos Bill's, Yummmmmmm....:lovestruc

JolllyHoliday
06-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Has to be walking down Main Street first thing in the morning. Love the smell of the bakery and candy shops

disneymommy78
06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I love the smell of Main Street---the mix of cotton candy and popcorn and the candy apples from the Confectionary...I miss it so much!

Boo Bear
06-02-2011, 11:57 PM
I like the chlorine smell in POTC. Is that weird?

Rhonna
06-03-2011, 01:22 AM

Yes. Thank you! Everyone says chlorine but there is also a musty smell that I always remember from childhood that is still there. Also my favorite, btw. I don't notice it on any of the other water rides. And it's my first impression of disney as a pre-schooler at Disneyland. No sulphur in the water there. There is definitely a MUSTY-NESS on Pirates on both coasts that is more than chlorine.

Also, kind of a reverse. At our local movie complex the theaters smell like some indoor attraction at WDW and for the life of me I can't figure out which one. I'm not sure if it's the carpet or cleaning solution or what. It isn't in the lobby or hallways of the theater, just when you open the doors and walk into the individual theater rooms. The chain is Regal Cinemas. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Rhonna
06-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Yes! I used this one body spray when I went to Paris, and now whenever I use I always say, "ah, it smells like Paris in here!"

Me too! It was my first time in Paris and I bought my first bottle of Kate Spade perfume right before we went. They are linked forever now.

PRCMickey
06-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I also would say the smell of Main Street with the bakery and candy store.

Grendalynn
06-11-2011, 08:16 PM
for me, its got to be the smell of potc. also i just get this smell when we go under the wdw arch that just smells like, well, the best smell ever!

Splash Mountain!! :love: Actually, any of the "water" rides....:flower3:

I like the chlorine smell in POTC. Is that weird?

Yes. Thank you! Everyone says chlorine but there is also a musty smell that I always remember from childhood that is still there. Also my favorite, btw. I don't notice it on any of the other water rides. And it's my first impression of disney as a pre-schooler at Disneyland. No sulphur in the water there. There is definitely a MUSTY-NESS on Pirates on both coasts that is more than chlorine....

Its so funny the fog of the arch in POTC and the Spalsh Mtn is mentioned... When we were at WDW in April I kept saying "Do you smell that?? Sniff Sniiiffffffff - It smells like Disney!!!" I LOVE that smell and its smelled the same since I was a kid! Even the lobby of the Poly waterfall smells the same as does the monorail! How does that happen after all these years??

I am such a "smeller" - I totally store memories and experiences with smells. ESPECIALLY at WDW!! I wish Yankee Candle made a Disney Smell candle.... Now thats an idea! :rolleyes1 :cloud9:

mikkiwikki
06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
of the tomorrowland speedway....toxic as it is...;)
I know Im at disney when I smell it...
(btw WHY cant they make those cars electric? isnt it supposed to be the TOMMORROWLAND SPEEDWAY)

Belle83
06-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Churros :love:

Dsnygrl1205
06-12-2011, 01:36 AM
My favorite Disney smell is at Epcot. When you first get off the bus in the morning and walking towards the entrance. It has a very distinct smell, earthy as the OP said. I think it's the mulch. It makes me so happy!:goodvibes

The Target near my house uses the same scented air freshener as the bathrooms at Disney. I wish I knew what it was. I want some for my house!

mollygirl13
06-12-2011, 08:32 AM
I love the smell of Rome burning in SE! :love:

I also love the smell in the lobbies of the Swan/Dolphin. I'm not sure exactly what it is but it is a wonderful smell!

ilovejsparrow
06-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I LOVE all of the wonderful smells around WDW :lovestruc

Some of my favorites have to be the Main St Confectionary, the smell of Splash Mountain, the overall smell at AK (I know I'm weird..), Rome burning on SE, and turkey legs!!!

goofygrl4
06-16-2011, 06:47 PM
YES, YES, YES!!! That's the thing I remember most from my WDW trips with my parents when I was a teenager!! To this day, it's one of my favorite scents and I buy whatever orange room fresheners I can find simply because it reminds me of Disney back in the day! :goodvibes

The damp, dank, musty POTC smell is quite memorable, too...

is it the World of Motion ride from Epcot? I loved that orange smell! Soarin has it now but its not the same!

Most of the scents have been mentioned, but there is something about that air after the rain smell that makes me think of being at Disney! The steam train is another one! LOVE THAT "RIDE" Every park has special scent that just makes me smile! Haunted Mansion and Pirates, splash mountain, Spaceship earth, The great movie ride, Tower of terror, Dinasour, I could keep going and going!

CurlyJo224
06-18-2011, 12:46 AM
It's not my favorite, but it's one that makes me think of Disney...

At the store I work at, we have a temporary "dollar store" type of section set up. Some gardening supplies, some July 4th stuff, but the Disney related thing, there are some dog toys and bowls and something about that particular section smells like the Rome burning section of Spaceship Earth. It really messed with my head yesterday when I walked down the aisle, sniffed and thought, "Rome is burning? In my store?" :confused:

Explodo
06-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I love the ones mention before...Water, Spaceship Earth, Etc...

But my favorite is the Pumpkin Spice Smell they use during the Not so Scary Haloween Party. It's similar to the philharmagic Lemaire Scene, But slightly more earthy. I finally found the scent at yankee candle, It's called Pumpkin Patch. I use that smell almost exclusively after august until December. Once I smell it I can vividly picture all the halloween decorations in the magic Kingdom, along with Dressed up kids and Sweaty parents!

I also matched the smell of the Grand floridian Lobby this year, It's called Moonlight Path and you can get it at Bath and Body Works.

Also found the woodsmoke smell at bath and body works, but it isn't that great if you don't see the library of Alexandria burning at the same time ;-)

DisneyDoc5
06-24-2011, 09:21 PM
this is sad, but you will all get it...

Our Target store bathroom has the same 'orange' smelling freshener that is in the bathrooms at the theme parks in WDW - I am happy in the bathroom at Target thinking about WDW - crazy!

Others - the 'morning smell' - damp, dew, a little musty, it's a Florida smell that I can sometime get here in Michigan in the hot summer.

apple pie in Philharmagic - glade apple cinn. candle is the same.

Grendalynn
07-08-2011, 02:23 PM
this is sad, but you will all get it...

Our Target store bathroom has the same 'orange' smelling freshener that is in the bathrooms at the theme parks in WDW - I am happy in the bathroom at Target thinking about WDW - crazy!

Others - the 'morning smell' - damp, dew, a little musty, it's a Florida smell that I can sometime get here in Michigan in the hot summer.

apple pie in Philharmagic - glade apple cinn. candle is the same.

:thumbsup2 :love:

Grendalynn
02-24-2012, 06:12 PM
OK, so I was sitting down with DH eating some pizza.... Our usually Friday night ritual....

Then I blew my nose (I know TMI) on some cheepo-depo toilet paper tissue and after wiping my nose, i paused... smelled .... then smelled the tissue again.... I looked at DH who was sitting across from me eating pizza and said "This smells like Disney! (specifically Its a Small World)" ... He looked at me admiringly .... and then I asked him if she wanted to smell it?? He said "NO!????" followed by this face ---> :eek:

bigdaddy511
02-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Once I smell those turkey legs, I know that I am in Disney!

dolPhinlovEr83
02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
The smell of the Seasons Restaurant in the Land. The water in Living with the Land.

Burning of Rome

Inside Mexico in Epcot

The morning smell in the air when walking out of your hotel and the smell of the hotel towels (weird, I know, lol)

MHTeacher
02-26-2012, 12:37 PM
My favorite scent at Disney is definitely the smell at the Polynesian lobby! I can't tell you what it is exactly, but it's just one of those scents that I smell, and say "Ahhh! "

Grendalynn
02-26-2012, 01:21 PM
....Inside Mexico in Epcot

The morning smell in the air when walking out of your hotel and the smell of the hotel towels (weird, I know, lol)

LOVE hotel towel smell.... when I do a bleach load of towels it sometimes comes out just right and I smell the towels over and over....and over.... pretending I am at Disney and all the great feeling and memories that go with it!

My favorite scent at Disney is definitely the smell at the Polynesian lobby! I can't tell you what it is exactly, but it's just one of those scents that I smell, and say "Ahhh! " :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell of the Poly!!! Its a smell I have locked away from when I was a kid! I used to hover over my parents humidifer at times smelling that musty, watery smell... My parents still make fun of me to this day. I used, and still do, smell EVERYTHING! :confused3

ReluctantDisaholic
02-26-2012, 07:23 PM
The POTC smell is definitely my favourite...also love the smell of the little Mickey shampoos.

Kellybelly777
02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Favorite smell is, like others POTC. I also love of the Land Pavillion at Epcot. It always smells great from Sunshine Seasons. The resorts also all have a nice, fresh scent.

WORST smells are easy. The kiddie pool at the ASMusic is awful. Smells very strongly like dirty diapers, and we had to hold our breaths every time we walked past the majority of the pool area. One of the reasons we won't stay there again!

The monorails always seem to smell badly as well. Sort of a weird mix between gasoline and urine? Every time we're on, we end up talking to others on the car who agree it does NOT smell good!

Grendalynn
03-31-2012, 05:50 PM
We left WDW yesterday.. :sad1: I was really looking forward our dinner at Ohana just so I could enjoy the smell of the Poly waterfall. :( But when we arrived there was no smell, no sound,no waterfall!! ... its a smell I remember from childhood and associate with Disney. Thankfully its just being cleaned and should be up and running again soon!

litlpixie
04-06-2012, 10:36 AM
The Disney smell I love the most has to be the lobby of AKL:lovestruc

Emma1987
04-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Popcorn around the Hub.....

WINTER
04-07-2012, 11:49 AM
I love the smell in "Pirates".

Grendalynn
08-07-2012, 01:34 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE that smell!!

:goodvibes I have been at a conference for work for two days at a really fancy resort and I keep smelling Wilderness Lodge. I don't know what it is,:confused3 but I love it!!!

ricktib
08-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Another vote for the smell of Rome burning in Spaceship Earth. :thumbsup2

And while not all that pleasant, the distinct smell of the water in the showers triggers happy thoughts. Caught a faint whiff of that smell in a hotel shower elsewhere in the country recently and it brought a smile. :)

megveg
08-07-2012, 06:30 PM

the smell of the water in Pirates is one of my favorite smells ever, I wish it was bottled :rotfl:

chum
08-16-2012, 07:46 AM
The deodorizer used in the WDW parks and some hotels (Art of Animation) is an Ecolabs product called Citrus Ginger room re-fresher. WDW buys so much of it that it's hard to obtain if you aren't Disney.
Target uses an off the shelf citrus spray that smells similar but it's not the same.

chum
08-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Oops, almost forgot. Spaceship Earth's Rome burning scene is brought to life by using burnt coffee beans. It works!

haunted mansion
08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
the orange trees in soarin

tigger813
08-20-2012, 08:08 PM
The oranges in Soarin' is my favorite as well! We bought a Yankee Candle that is close to that smell.

We went on PCC 3.0 and we got 3 cds with Soarin' on it! I listen to it on the car on the way to work and it relaxes me!

TTFN :tigger:

meriberi00
08-23-2012, 04:06 PM
The smell of Main Street USA...I guess it's from the bakery and may be some of Casey's.

haunted mansion
08-24-2012, 02:18 PM
haunted mansion. yeah its a dusty old smell but its great with the theme!!!!!

meriberi00
08-24-2012, 11:49 PM
I thought of another one...Inside the Land building:)) YUM!