PDA

View Full Version : Best time to go?

rewetzel1
12-20-2001, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I'm new to the board. I'm thinking of setting up a solo trip to disneyworld December 2002.

I heard that it was good to go after thanksgiving but before christmas break. I don't know when exactly christmas break starts! Is Dec. 16 (a Monday) to Dec 19 (Thursday) a good time? Or is this to close to Christmas.

Any other suggestions for the best times to go would be appreciated as well as specific recommendations of the Disney hotels. I'm thinking of staying at the cheapest ones (all-stars) because I won't be in my room much anyway, but I've heard that these are swamped with children.

BobBrazeal
12-20-2001, 09:01 PM
First, welcome to the DIS and especially the Adult and Solo Travelers board!! We are very glad that you dropped in.

I can't really answer for the specific dates that you mentioned. I go solo most of the time and usually go two to three times a year but usually in late Jan and Sept/Oct slow times. I've not been between Thanksgiving and Christmas to know when the crowds start to pick back up. Hopefully someone else can help with that.

My sister-in-law teaches 2nd grade in Alabama and I know that this year they were out at noon on Wednesday the 19th and that some, but not many, had already left for the holiday. From that, I would guess that the 12/16 - 12/19 might just have started to pick up but still wouldn't be in full holiday mode yet.

I've joined Disney Vacation Club so now most of my stays are at DVC resorts. Before that I stayed at all the different moderate resorts but never at the All Stars. I really liked the moderates. I've always worried about the same thing with the All Stars but I've heard that there are now sections at the All Stars that are "sort of" set aside for adults. I don't know if it is a hard and fast rule that there can't be children in this section but I think they have found that a lot of adults do stay there and would like to have some separation from all the children. I'd say call them and ask.

rewetzel1
12-20-2001, 09:06 PM
I was thinking of booking my reservations using Disney's website, but do you think it would be better to talk to an actual representative?

RussH
12-21-2001, 07:33 AM
Hello and welcome to the boards. Most years I go the first full week of December and it is my favorite time to go. The days you have listed should be good for small crowds. Crowds are so small that except for Saturday at MK they dont even open the Fastpass machines since nearly every ride is a walk on. Last year my longest wait was 10 minutes in the middle of the afternoon for Test Track at Epcot.
I stay at All Star Music for this trip to me it seems to have a little less kids. The younger are more attracted to Movies and Sports gets the teens. But don't worry I have spent over 60 nights at ASMu and never had a problem with noise.
One big thing to remember is the parks open late and close really early this time of year. There is not a lot to do at All Stars besides swimming (? in Dec) hanging out at Singing Spirits (outside bar) and the game room.
Oh one more thing the weather is wonderful it never gets really hot which makes just walking around enjoyable.
Go have a great time.

RussH

Leaving in 6 hours....I know never go between Christmas and NYE but the rates were to good to pass up.

Gillian
12-27-2001, 09:11 PM
Hello! I would call (check mousesavers.com first to see if there are any specials) or use dreams unlimited if you want to go with something online. The Disney website rarely offers discounts and they only have packages if you need more than 3 nights. By calling or using Dreams, you can book a room only reservation & have more flexibility in your tickets. Dreams will also check to see if your rates go down at all. They are on this page, the top right corner, link to Disney world reservations.

Happy planning!

MinnieGi
12-27-2001, 10:52 PM
Just wanted to tell you that your dates that you have picked are a great time to go. It is not crowded but all the Christmas decorations and programs are up and running and rates are for the value season. The weather is also wonderful at that time.

DaveH
12-29-2001, 12:15 PM
I have done WDW the week after Thanksgiving and have stayed at all 3 All Stars. Yes there are kids there it is for families on a limited budget. I very rarely heard kids when I was in my room. Sometimes in that time frame there are vents like cheerleader things annd they give them the back part of the resort. The food court and get rowdy but nothing too bad. You learn to noticed the cute little ones and ignore the crying and fussing ones. LOL!!! Poor parents. I went with the idea to have a great time and I did. Fell free to ask me anything by PM if I can help. The last time I did solo was 3 years ago.

chell
12-29-2001, 05:49 PM
My husband and I were at WDW Dec. 22 - 25 and the crowds were not bad until the 24th. Your time should be wonderful. Be sure to set aside some time for resort hopping. We had a great time. We didn't even set out to do it. I was searching for a certain character pin and got a little carried away. Once we got started it was hard to stop. We did only visit the 4 resorts closest to the MK, but they have some great Christmas decorations.