PDA

View Full Version : What's with the snowglobe references?

DisneyGirl4188
03-06-2007, 07:39 AM
As I read this board, I see references to snowglobes as a bad thing. Why?

HarambeGuy
03-06-2007, 08:47 AM
I like a good snowglobe in wintertime. DW and I recently got a cute one of Mickey and Minnie with some mistletoe from Hallmark.

The problem as I see it is that there's a snowglobe for EVERYTHING now. They even made giant snowglobes for the 100 Years of Magic parade. They were completely ludicrous - especially when they quit blowing the confetti around the inside of the globes. What you ended up with was a parade of characters isolated from the spectators by these giant plastic bubbles. :crazy2:

But mainly I think it's a saturation thing. Got a villain who lives in a volcano and calls the souls of the dead to party on the mountaintop? Make a snowglobe! Evil queen whose alter ego is a firebreathing dragon? SNOWGLOBE!

I know some people like them, and even collect them. I speak for the many of the rest of us who say ENOUGH ALREADY.

DisneyGirl4188
03-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Thank you for explaining. I do collect them, so I had no idea they were so hated.

Now, what's with the car references (not the movie)?

Another Voice
03-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Exactly - it's not the snowglobes themselves, it's they represent. Something happened to the company when it couldn't even have characters in a parade - instead they had to turn them into merchandise. The snowglobe represents the excess of Disney's "anything for a buck" attitude the last several years.

But they also represent a even bigger chance in Disney. Before the emphasis of the company was on the movies, the shows, the rides it created. But these days those seem like only marketing materials for Disney's real obession - all the trinkets they can sell you. At Disneyland, they took out all the unquie stores to put in generic Disney-branded merchandise. Where once you could buy an authentic western duster or an antique from New Orleans - all you could find was the latest 'Mulan' snowglobe. We get princess dresses in Tomorrowland and the same 4 Disney t-shirts in all 357 shops.

The snowglobe reprents the loss of the real Disney where we felt like guests, and the creation of a marketing company where we're treated like consumers.

All Aboard
03-06-2007, 03:05 PM
As for the cars references... Way back near the beginning of time (DIS time), there was a handful of posters on this board who debated the state of affairs of the Disney Company. A few of them referred to "carpools" of like minded individuals, travelling to WDW with a different perspective or take on the future of the company. It was disorganized conversation, at best.

Then, oh in early 2000 if I recall, an old, long since departed poster by the username "gcurling" came up with the idea of standardizing all carpool references.

He created definitions, which were later polished up by another poster of the past "JeffJewell" which were then offered up in survey form for members of this board to decide within which "car" they belonged.

If I correctly recall, car one members believed that the Disney Company (WDW more specifically) hadn't missed a step. It was pumping out the same level of quality and customer service as it always had and that business decisions were as solid as ever.

Car two recognized a modest decline, but was optimistic that a return was forthcoming.

Car three believed that the slide had reached a point of no return. They still cared about the company, and would continue to go to WDW, but knew that it would never be as great as it once was.

Car four had had enough. They were done for good.

BRERALEX
03-06-2007, 04:05 PM
memories.

....you forgot to fit in that dvclandbaron guy with his 9 page posts, bolded font and size 20 fonts as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DisneyGirl4188
03-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Thank you for explaining; I don't feel so lost now.

YoHo
03-06-2007, 07:46 PM
The carpool post used to be pinned at the top of the forum, but as the members that originally made it stopped coming by (largely because they moved into Car 4, It became non-relevent.)

Also, I'm so pleased my new Signature has made an impact.

mrsR123
03-09-2007, 06:13 PM
All aboard's synopsis is quite good. Some of those folks are still around. They are also known as "the element." They tolerate hangers-on fairly well. Silly, pixie-dusted nincompoops, not so well.

BrerALex forgot to mention the blamboyant use of color , though.

exDS vet
03-10-2007, 01:51 AM
If I correctly recall, car one members believed that the Disney Company (WDW more specifically) hadn't missed a step. It was pumping out the same level of quality and customer service as it always had and that business decisions were as solid as ever.

Car two recognized a modest decline, but was optimistic that a return was forthcoming.

Car three believed that the slide had reached a point of no return. They still cared about the company, and would continue to go to WDW, but knew that it would never be as great as it once was.

Car four had had enough. They were done for good.
Thanks All Aboard for explaining the "cars" philosophy. I wondered what this was all about a few years ago as well. I guess I would be car three for the most part, but I have been known to pull car four out of the garage on occasion.

What's amazing to me is how many people on these boards still drive car number one.

As to the snowglobe question. For all of the Disney collecting I have done over the years. I never got into the snowglobe thing. They were a novelty that got way out of hand. I used to look at them and consider purchasing one (especially with my 35% CM discount). But in the end, I always decided against buying one.

Before WDW had the snowglobe parade floats, the shops introduced the "mini" snowglobe. That was when I knew that the uniqueness would never be the same. To this day, I only own 1 snowglobe. It's more of a figurine (from Fantasia 2000) and it doesn't have a wind-up knob, flashing lights, or play music.

MJMcBride
03-13-2007, 07:51 PM
The carpool post used to be pinned at the top of the forum, but as the members that originally made it stopped coming by (largely because they moved into Car 4, It became non-relevent.)

Also, I'm so pleased my new Signature has made an impact.

Where did you get that snowglobe in your sig. Its nice. Not as cool as my POTC or Villians one though.

YoHo
03-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Idonno. I didn't find the image.