PDA

View Full Version : Please help with early teen-restaurant question

Michele
03-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I have to admit I am afraid to ask this question, just looking for basic opinions. Not horror stories of misbehaved children.

We are traveling to WDW with another family, we are very experienced Disney family. Between the 2 families we have 4 kids, ages 11-14. Please tell me would you consider an adults only dinner one night, while the kids stay in the room and get room service or take-out and the adults only go out to dinner? Or would you even consider letting the kids go to the hotel restaurant(Yacht Club Galley or Beaches & Cream) by themselves then back up to the room? All are well behaved, restaurant etiquette savvy kids.

We will be staying at the YC and the adults are considering a dinner at Chefs de France.

TIA!!!

TinkerbellLuvr7
03-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Ooh thats a hard one! I know if I were 14, I doubt my parents would have let my brother and I go anywhere alone if they werent at the hotel (he would be 12 now we are 22 and 20). But you know your kids better than anyone else so thats why its a tough one. I would say maybe let them go but leave the oldest one a cell phone incase something would happen. Worse comes to worse, get them some food before you leave and leave them with games or dvds to keep them busy! I just dont know if someone would see them and question where their parents are, etc. I believe they have childcare for a fee but I'm not sure what the cut off age is. Good luck with your decision and have a great dinner!

figaromeetsmarie
03-04-2007, 12:51 AM
I think that room service would be better. The kids might not know how much to leave as a tip,etc.

Good luck!:goodvibes

Michele
03-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Yes, they would for sure have a cell phone to get ahold of us. I think they could handle the tip thing, but I am leaning towards leaving them in the room. Might just pack the PS2. :thumbsup2

wendy46001
03-04-2007, 10:51 AM
I think its a great idea, let them have a little fun ....Beaches & Cream is right in the hotel...set up a check in time with the kids and enjoy a parents night out

Dis31
03-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Yes, I would let them go to beaches and cream or the galley. Have a great dinner :goodvibes :goodvibes

Lisa D
03-04-2007, 11:27 AM
We are actually planning on doing this with our 15 and 12 year old boys. We are staying at the BWV and doing an adult meal at Flying Fish. I made our ADR a little later than we usually eat and plan on getting the kids some pizza at our normal dinner time, then having them stay in the room while we eat. They have cel phones to call us if need be. At least if they eat before we do I know that they have been fed. Just my 2 cents.

Goofy4Disney
03-04-2007, 11:56 AM
We considered something similiar but in the end decided not to. Mainly because although kids (including our "perfect angel" ha!) might be very well behaved in the presence of parents, doesn't make it so if they are alone without that supervision. Not only that, but my mind started racing with "what if he leaves the room without his key? He'll be locked out and in a panic, wouldn't think about going to the front desK"... those type of questions. If you were eating at a resort restaurant nearer the kids, I'd say go for it, but I wouldn't leave my kid in a resort while I went to Epcot... even if it is a short walk it's still like what? 10-20 minutes? That's a long time if there were an emergency. JMHO

Harambe
03-04-2007, 12:01 PM
I would consider leaving them in the room, DD14 and DS12. But only if I brought them dinner before we went out. I'd be a wreck letting them go to a CS place (even though they go out for lunch with their friends around town here at home), and I'd even be a wreck letting room service in while they're there alone.

But once they are locked in tight - with cellphones - I'd go to dinner near by the resort.

cinder1
03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I think it depends on the kids (you know them best) and how comfortable they actually feel. You might be surprised to find they'd be a little uncomfortable (or not). If they feel ok and you think they'd behave, I'd let them go to the food court. Not a sit down dinner where they would have to deal with a tip, etc and might be questioned. I think it would be fine for them to go to a sit down dinner, but, again, they might feel uncomfortable with the questions. Maybe they could even play games in the arcade after they eat. As long as they stick together and feel comfortable themselves, I think they'd be fine. (With cell phones, of course.)

luvmarypoppins
03-04-2007, 02:23 PM
We did this once with our 3 ds. They went to beaches and cream and dh and I were right next door at cape may buffet. At that age I dont think I would have been comfortable with leaving them by themselves that long or in the room. We did the room thing once, not food, but needles to say when we came back the mattress was hanging off the bed, pillows on floor etc. The only problem we had was oldest ds gave the waiter at beaches and cream way, way too much of a tip. I cant believe the server didnt even say anything to ds. Of well, lesson learned. We didnt do it again. They are older now and they must eat one good meal a day with us. The other they can do a counter service themselves, but no sit down table service themselves.

MEK
03-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I did this with my DS 13 last November. He was really being a PITA when we were getting ready to leave for the parks one morning (My DH and DS 12 were also there). My DH said - "Let's just leave him here". We were staying at Saratoga Springs.

At first, I thought we would return by lunch. But, we were having such a good time we stayed at the park till late afternoon. We had to let him leave to get lunch at Artist Palette, since there really wasn't enough food in the room to make a decent lunch. We were on the dining plan, so it was easy. I made him call when he left the room and call when he returned. Everything went fine.

I think your kids will be fine. Just have them call when they leave and call when they return.

BTW - My son's was pretty bored by the time we got back. I guess he watched enough TV and played enough video games that day. He didn't complain the rest of the time we were there.

Pumbaa_
03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
It sounds like your kids are responsible. Lay out the rules, what they are allowed to do, check int times, and let them go. B&C is right next to the arcade. Are they allowed to spend time their also? How much time how much money?

If a problem arises, you are very close by and can be there in minutes.

Practice paying the check earlier in the trip. Talk about appropriate tips and behavior.

Kids will often live up to your expectations. You can also gage their behavior during the trip. (We all know how sometimes they turn into different kids on vacation:confused3 ). If all goes well, let them have this privelage.

JeanfromBNA
03-04-2007, 09:36 PM
A question to which I don't know the answer: Could you hire a babysitter that would be able to take them to dinner and supervise?

Years ago, I worked for a babysitting service that went to hotels. I occasionally took children to dinner at the hotel or nearby.

Pooh Bear Hugs
03-05-2007, 04:05 AM
I couldn't leave my kids alone because I'd not be able to relax.

snomofinn
03-05-2007, 06:34 AM
My husband and I did this last year, but my girls were 12 and 19 at the time. My 19 year old took my youngest and went out to eat, while the hubby and I did our own dining, but I do have to tell you I felt guilty the whole dinner through:blush: I felt bad that we didnt go with them to eat..:(

Local_Girl
03-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Well, my own kids will be 14 and 11 on our next trip, and I would be comfortable leaving them in a Disney resort room (with pizza, a cell phone, and lots of ground rules, LOL! ;) ) while DH and I had dinner out. I would have a couple of concerns...that they might get too loud in the room, or that they might kill each other (well, okay, not really, but sometimes they really drive each other nuts :furious: ), but if given the right incentive (read: bribe), they would probably do fine. DH may be less comfortable with it though. I would not feel comfortable letting them go out to dinner somewhere...not because I don't think kids their age can handle it, but I don't think my OWN kids can handle it yet. You know your kids and whether or not they can.

Other things to consider...how do the other parents feel about it? How do the kids feel about it (yours and theirs)? If you do decide to let the kids do Beaches and Cream, you could go over what they need to remember (ie, ordering, tip, etc.) in advance and be sure they know how to handle themselves. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sandi
03-05-2007, 10:51 AM
I think I'd feel better bringing them all along to Epcot and letting them busy themselves there. I have an only DD12 and think she would be fine with another responsible similar-aged kid (she's a WDW expert in her own right). With a cell phone, occasional check ins are easy to do.

Talk it through with your kids and see what they're comfortable with, too. It might be that the eldest isn't comfortable being "responsible."