PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about Le Cellier?

mirthmaiden
03-03-2007, 08:06 PM
I checked out the menu for Le Cellier before I made my ADR's and there wasn't anything about it that was particularly compelling for me. Yet, the way people go on about it, and the difficulty of getting ADR's, makes me feel like I must be missing out on something great! Tell me what is so great about Le Cellier that I should want to eat there? :confused:

JESW
03-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Personally, I don't get it either but I am not a big meat eater so I guess that makes a difference. I find the portions small for the $$$$ you pay. DH loves it there tho so we try to go every trip.

chuchubipretu
03-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Ummm...don't know! I, too, heard so much about it that I figured it must be fantastic. All the talk about the pretzel bread sticks. But, not being from Canada, they simply seemed like uncurled soft pretzels to me, eh. We were also surprised at how small the restaurant actually is. No wonder ADRs are hard to get. Having said that, give it a try. You may be one of the people who adore the place.

Aimeedyan
03-03-2007, 08:49 PM
We weren't impressed by it at all - matter of fact, out of 10 table service meals in a week, it was by far our worst exp.

Out of all the great Epcot area restaurants, I wonder why so many choose to eat at a plain 'ol steakhouse. ? American culture, I guess, to gravitate towards the norm. I've had way better steak elsewhere (at lower prices) and MUCH better service. We likely won't be back.

jersey shark
03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Totally agree with all other posters.....there is nothing special about Le Cellier ...ever had a steak in Canada? (tough, tasteless!!) ....much better steaks can be found elsewhere on WDW - Shula's for example. The restaurant in Norway is a much better (unexpectedly so) choice!

sandybobandy
03-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Going to have to agree with the previous posters. We too didn't find anything special about LC. The bread was....fine. Our steaks were....good. Overall, in our humble opinion, it did not live up to the hype.
I suggest you try it sometime though, maybe you'll like it. Just don't be too upset if you don't get in. You're not missing too much :)

crisi
03-03-2007, 09:16 PM
We like it and think its good. But it isn't half as good as the hype around it. From the hype, you'd think you were eating at one of the country's great steakhouses - it isn't even one of Disney's great steaks. But its a pretty good value, IMO.

hapandpam
03-03-2007, 09:23 PM
We enjoyed our meal there. It wasn't the best dinner I ever had, but enjoyable. We had to wait a long time, even though we had AR, and as we were leaving, we were given complimentary fast passes to thank us for our patience. I would suggest lunch which is cheaper. The cheddar soup is great. I would be happy going for it alone.

donaldsgal
03-03-2007, 10:17 PM
I had read all the hype, so we ate there for ourselves this last trip. We had very attentive but not overbearing service. The food was delicious, and we've eaten at many of the WDW restaurants. It was our favorite meal of the trip, and we are eating there again next trip. For me, that's the test of a good restaurant: can they reproduce good food and good service more than once? If so, I will revisit it.

I encourage you to try it for yourself. I would recommend it to others, and I, too, was skeptical that it could be as good as everyone declares. It was.

FancyBrat
03-03-2007, 10:43 PM
The Cheese soup is excellent, the steak was good and we love the bread too. To tell you the truth I look at reviews but don't hold to much focus on them. It's all about taste, kind of like going to the movies half the people rave about how good it was and the other half think it was the worse movie. It's all in what you like. Always try things out for yourself or you'll never know.

MeLaNie9
03-03-2007, 10:44 PM
I checked out the menu for Le Cellier before I made my ADR's and there wasn't anything about it that was particularly compelling for me. Yet, the way people go on about it, and the difficulty of getting ADR's, makes me feel like I must be missing out on something great! Tell me what is so great about Le Cellier that I should want to eat there? :confused:

Thanks for asking this....
We were planning our Feb trip and had LeCellier on our list to try because of all the good reviews on these boards. However, when we looked at the menu, we decided to skip it. I hate steak and really didn't see anything else to order. We chose to eat at Coral Reef instead and really enjoyed it. Given all of the replies so far, we may not eat there on future trips either!

HomeSweetDisney
03-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Out of all the great Epcot area restaurants, I wonder why so many choose to eat at a plain 'ol steakhouse. ? American culture, I guess, to gravitate towards the norm. I've had way better steak elsewhere (at lower prices) and MUCH better service. We likely won't be back.

I second that. It wasn't that great and I've definitely had better. You can get steak anywhere, anytime. I'd rather have something else while at WS. But to each their own I suppose :)

Epcot242
03-04-2007, 12:53 AM
I had read all the hype, so we ate there for ourselves this last trip. We had very attentive but not overbearing service. The food was delicious, and we've eaten at many of the WDW restaurants. It was our favorite meal of the trip, and we are eating there again next trip. For me, that's the test of a good restaurant: can they reproduce good food and good service more than once? If so, I will revisit it.

I encourage you to try it for yourself. I would recommend it to others, and I, too, was skeptical that it could be as good as everyone declares. It was.

I agree with this poster. This is one of our favorite restaurants in WDW. But, we usually go for lunch. Their steak is fantastic, and IMO, one of the best in WDW. I've heard good things about the other meals as well. I would say just give it a shot for lunch, since it's not as serious as a meal at night would be. It can't hurt to try. :)

leanan
03-04-2007, 02:05 AM
I think it is because of the cheaper lunch time prices available for those not on the plan maybe. I am so so about it.

I think for the money Norway or Germany are better. I also enjoy Morroco if you like something more exotic. All 3 have some level of entertainment for you during your meal. Italy was Ok but not great. I never make it in the door of france because why sit down in the restaurant when I can just gorge on sugar filled goodness in the bakery??? I am sure france is great. That just says the bakery is too darn good for me to think about real food when I am there.

mirthmaiden
03-04-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I have ADR's for Biergarten and I think we'll stick with that. Maybe I'll try LC another time, but since I'm not a fan of steak, it won't be high on the list.

JMLBrats
03-04-2007, 06:45 AM
We had a very nice meal there overall, but as I've said before, if you start out w/a good piece of Filet Mignon you pretty much have to be a-:joker: to screw it up. We would eat there again, but it's never a priority for us to do so-didn't even try to get an ADR there this year-no interest. My fav's in Epcot are San Angel Inn for the atmosphere and probably Teppanyaki for the food.

Goofy4Disney
03-04-2007, 08:23 AM
We liked LC. Our steaks were cooked well, the service was great during our experience also. You never know what might lead someone to dislike a place. Whereas one person may not care for something, it may not bother someone else at all. I'd try it and judge for yourself.

rcraw45425
03-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Many years ago we ate there at the last minute. The server went on and on about how it was PRIME CAnadian beef, yada yada yada. Similar to Kobe beef. The steaks were fork tender! Since then we have dined there on two seperate occasions. Both times there has been no mention of PRIME beef. They seem to have also moved in more tables so that you are almost dining in your neighbor's lap. The service also has gone down, no refills, cold food, etc. We do not do the dining plan so our tip has shown our displeasure. Sending stuff back has been a joke. We much prefer Yachtsman or Concourse for a steak.

scrump
03-04-2007, 09:17 AM
I think the food is good, but LC does not wow me like you would expect in the reviews that you read. I think it's a pleasant, average steakhouse, of which there are plenty in my neighborhood.

crisi
03-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Many years ago we ate there at the last minute. The server went on and on about how it was PRIME CAnadian beef, yada yada yada. Similar to Kobe beef. The steaks were fork tender! Since then we have dined there on two seperate occasions. Both times there has been no mention of PRIME beef. They seem to have also moved in more tables so that you are almost dining in your neighbor's lap. The service also has gone down, no refills, cold food, etc. We do not do the dining plan so our tip has shown our displeasure. Sending stuff back has been a joke. We much prefer Yachtsman or Concourse for a steak.

Le Cellier spent several years unable to get Canadian beef due to restrictions in import from their Mad Cow outbreak. I believe this has changed and they are back to Canadian beef, but I don't think they went back to the same quality of steak.

We are choosing to avoid it while it is the "darling." It isn't worth the hassle of reserverations, waits, etc. We'll go back when some other restaurant becomes "the best." Because there are plenty of steakhouses outside of WDW, we don't miss it - and because we are WDW regulars, we know we can go back eventually.

pyrxtc
03-04-2007, 01:41 PM
well, we tried LC last time and thought the steaks were great! We are really steak people. My kids loved their food too. If you don't find their menu appealing, I'm sure you'll find another resteraunt that you'll love.

clutter
03-04-2007, 01:55 PM
My dd is the steak lover (and I do mean steak lover) in our family (just the two of us). But she can be pretty downright picky about the sides. LC had hands-down the best mashed potatoes anywhere in disney (no lumps or garlic for my kid). She also loved their chocolate cake. So we'll go back. In fact, we've got ADRs for her birthday. It's the only restaurant in WDW that she's eaten the entree, the side (unless they're fries) and the dessert!

Figment56
03-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Like the others, we too had to try it to see what all the fuss was about. We weren't all that impressed with our meal there! Things were just okay. We did have a much better meal at the Concourse Steakhouse. We would go back there in a heartbeat!

suzimar57
03-04-2007, 04:28 PM
we used to eat at le cellier for many years during each visit, twice a year - but the past two years, we've been less than satisfied - aside from the seating problem there (tables WAY too close together), the noise factor and the slow service we've received recently, the steaks were - well - they were eh.... not bad, not good, just eh - kind of what i'd expect at at local steak and ale at home, nothing special - maybe it was that they weren't cooked properly each time, or that sitting THISCLOSE to the tables next to us put a damper on the meal - whatever - won't be going back again

antmaril
03-05-2007, 06:38 AM
We went for lunch last year because of all the hype. We didn't think it was anything special and I really don't get all the rave reviews. :confused3

snomofinn
03-05-2007, 06:43 AM
:goodvibes We ate there last year, good food, great service...but Iam almost embarrased to tell you my husband had a better steak at Tony's Town Square..He's steak at LeCellier was good, don't get me wrong, but the one he had at Tonys was melt in mouth good!;)

solgent
03-05-2007, 09:13 AM
I am happy to see this thread. Because of what "everyone" says, I was dyign to go to LC. I called just about 180 days ahead but as a party of 5 we couldn't get a reservation until 8:50 at night. This caused me to stop and think. We don't eat meat! Maybe this wasn't such a fabulous place for us. We now have reservations at Coral Reef which I think will make us much happier.

crisi
03-05-2007, 09:28 AM
I am happy to see this thread. Because of what "everyone" says, I was dyign to go to LC. I called just about 180 days ahead but as a party of 5 we couldn't get a reservation until 8:50 at night. This caused me to stop and think. We don't eat meat! Maybe this wasn't such a fabulous place for us. We now have reservations at Coral Reef which I think will make us much happier.

LOL!!!!

I don't think that this is uncommon with the hype around a restaurant - we fell for that one with Boma back when "everyone" was saying how wonderful it is - I don't like buffets. Le Cellier isn't a good vegetarian or pesca-vegetarian choice (the salmon is pretty good, but there is better fish around at WDW) - the cheese soup has bacon in it.

MomofKatie
03-05-2007, 11:59 AM
We haven't ever tried LC, but we have no desire to. We just aren't "steak and potato" people. For us, a good restaurant meal would be Thai, Indian, Greek, or something similar. I figure, we can get a nice steak, a couple of potatoes, and make them at home- why go out for them and pay an arm and a leg?

DisneyGirl4188
03-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I wanted to try this place because of the glowing reviews. I am not a big steak eater, so why I wanted to try it is beyond me.

That being said, the meal was wonderful! It is DH's favorite restaurant. We have ADR's twice on our next trip (lunch and dinner). I think that everyone should make their own decisions; don't let bad reviews stop you from going someplace. People hated 'Ohana after the changes, but it's still my favorite place.

kribit
03-05-2007, 12:37 PM
We liked it, but would not be disappointed if we couldn't eat there. Our Outbacks back home are better. But, the Outback is not in WDW...SO, I would take LeCellier over Outback anyday. :) Anything to be in Disney..I'd probably eat cardboard. :rotfl:

lynninpa
03-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Here is our "nine person" review of our wonderful experience at Le Cellier! www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1238965 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1238965) :thumbsup2

annie1995
03-05-2007, 07:26 PM
My DH and I are splitting up one night with the kids. The youngest 2 and I will eat at Le Cellier, and My oldest DS and DH will be dining at Teppenyaki. I am really looking forward in trying this place!

PrincessCLM
03-05-2007, 07:42 PM
My family has always been big fans of LC. Mainly for the cheddar cheese soup and the bread. The steak, eh, I could take it or leave it. Go and try it for yourselves. Everyone has their own opinion.

stemikger
03-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Thanks to these boards I went to LeCeller two years ago and it was a great meal. I had the lobster and steak and it was the best lobster tail I have ever eaten. I still have dreams about it.

I am going back this August and will be there on my third night.

I can't wait!!!!!

Debbie
03-06-2007, 07:40 AM
THAT'S what makes the DIS so great. You get lots of opinions.

For me, I hated my Concourse experience. Loud, rushed, close quarters, no "extra" attention at all. Le Cellier was relaxed, quiet, seated in about the same amount of time and the rissotto was fabulous. (pretzel bread doesn't do it for me, but the whole grain....)

You can listen to the "reviews", but you really need to make up your own mind. Check the menus, any one restaurant might/might not be right for your family. And don't forget, the experience that any one family has is going to be different from another....even if they were visiting at the same time!

Imacanuck
03-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I work at a steak house in Canada and your wrong!!you must have had a bad experience because they are the best!!! Unless of course you got the steak from a fast food joint.

lovemickeyshouse
03-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Its Way Too Hard To Get Reservations At Normal Times I Got A 410 And Then 2 Days Later Got A 445 Oh Well It Works I Love This Place Mash To Die For And Filet Is Really Good Without The Bbq And Being From Philly Pretzel Bread So Yummy

MickeyNicki
03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
The same way Beanie Babies were so hot, when the word gets out that it is a hot commodity everyone wants in!!!

CR88
03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
My wife and I dined at LeCellier this past December with the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package and loved it. We both had a Filet, my Mushroom Filet was fantastic, not the best I ever had, but very, very good. My wife's steak was slightly better at Councourse but also very good. The cheese soup was great as well as the pretzel bread. I guess It's hit or miss with the reviews, had we read all of the reviews on Alfredos we would not have dined there last year and we would have missed our favorite restaurant and best meal of our honeymoon. I guess we were lucky, but all of our dining experiences at DW have been great so far. We just purchased a DVC (SSR) so I am hoping that the good dining experiences won't be few and far between as many in DIS posts seem to suggest. :)

FormrCastMbr
03-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Not sure if my friend TigerKat responded yet, but thanks to her, I had the mussels. They were awesome! The pretzel bread was great soaking up the broth...I almost licked the bowl!!! :thumbsup2

lynninpa
03-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Not sure if my friend TigerKat responded yet, but thanks to her, I had the mussels. They were awesome! The pretzel bread was great soaking up the broth...I almost licked the bowl!!! :thumbsup2
Isn't the Mussels Appetizer incredible?! I laughed when I read what you wrote because I thought about lickin' the bowl clean, too! heehee

tbthomps
03-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Tell me what is so great about Le Cellier that I should want to eat there? :confused:

Two words:

THE FOOD

I must admit, this is my favorite of all Dinsey table service and it's the food that keeps me going back. It's fabulous!!

jpolak
03-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Isn't the Mussels Appetizer incredible?! I laughed when I read what you wrote because I thought about lickin' the bowl clean, too! heehee

With out a doubt the best mussels I have ever had! No wait the food is terrible no one should ever eat there!;)

pumba
03-18-2007, 02:42 PM
I am so sad........we had to let go our two ressies for Le Cellier because our party became four ........and they could not accomodate all four of us.. So we had to make other ressies while we are there......This broke my heart.......I love the cheddar cheese soup......the bread sticks are so darn good and the prime rib melts in your mouth.......My grandkids always have the free range chicken and there was so much of it on their plates.....ALways good choices there....

Disney Ron
03-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Two words:

THE FOOD

I must admit, this is my favorite of all Dinsey table service and it's the food that keeps me going back. It's fabulous!!

I concur... I have dreaming about our upcoming meal here in 8 days!!!
I think I am having the mussel app, mushroom filet with risotto, and the wonderful maple cream brulee!!!!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:flower3: Mrs. Disney Ron

filegumbo
03-18-2007, 02:46 PM
We dined at Le Cellier during our recent Thanksgiving week trip to Disney. I agree with many here who were less than impressed. We used the dining plan, but if we hadn't the price would have floored me. Not worth what they are charging. Not a great quality steak and not much creativity in ingredients or presentation. I live in New Orleans, so I am admittedly restaurant spoiled, but it was not worth the attention it seems to get. I was amused at the people wandering in for a table without reservations and being told by the hostess without a trace of sarcasm that there were no tables available until mid-February.

Baileymouse
03-18-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm a huge fan of Le Cellier, even though I didn't think I would be. It was the best steak I'd had (and I've been to lots of steakhouses), and my in-laws thought the salmon was the best they'd ever had.

I'm a Canada geek - when I'm not going to Disney I'm flying to Canada. I'm a big fan of Vancouver & Montreal.

Le Cellier's food & service were great, so I definitely have no complaints.