PDA

View Full Version : Don't Understand Kids Under 3 on DDP

mrrigby
03-02-2007, 09:31 AM
It's my understanding that kids under 3 can eat free off an adults plate. However, if you order a kids meal for the child under 3, you have to pay full price. I have no problem with that policy.

However, it is my understanding that children under 3 cannot partake in the DDP. I guess it isn't offered to very little ones? Why can't you buy the DDP for kids under 3, and forced to buy off the children's menu for under 3 kids?

It doesn't seem make sense, unless I am wrong? Does someone have a good explanation for this policy?

Why would Disney care if parents bought a DDP for a child under 3, and let them have his/her own meal?

karibritt01
03-02-2007, 09:37 AM
DDP is part of the package. If you buy DDp for your child, then you also have to buy park tickets. I guess you could just buy a 1 day ticket w/ no expiration, and save it for another time, but that would cost more than buying the meals OOP. If you did buffets and fed your child from your plate, you would only need to buy a few meals anyway.

janets
03-02-2007, 09:58 AM
I agree. It's because the dining plan is purchased as a package with theme park tickets, and those under 3 don't need a ticket to enter. If you were to buy the dining plan for a child, it's $10.99/day. Plus the cost of a 1 day park ticket (in the neighborhood of $60 or so) and you're staying 7 nights, that averages out to just under $20/day. Will your under 3 yo eat $20 worth of food ordered separately off a menu daily? If not, then you're better off not dealing with the DP for him/her and either buying a kids meal when you're in a menu driven restaurant or patronize the many buffet restaurants, where he/she can eat off the buffet to their heart's content.

Hope this helps.

beattyfamily
03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Kids under three do eat free at buffets, pre-plated or if they share with you off of your plate.

They are too young to be a part of a package since they do not need tickets so they also cannot be part of the dining plan.

If you want to buy them their own plate, whether the family is on or off the plan, you must pay for what you buy them off a menu.

Everyone always says there's so much food on the dining plan (and there is) so I don't think you will have any problems feeding a toddler without having to buy much food for them.

hogue123
03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
The DDP does give you a lot of food. Our kids don't eat a lot so those who are on the DPP with us usually share their counter meals with the baby, or he eats off our plate. We do at least one buffet/character meal a day so he gets plenty to eat. Even if we have to buy him a meal or snack, it's not a big deal. Costs a lot less than park tickets and the dining plan everyday for someone who doen't eat much.

beattyfamily
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
The DDP does give you a lot of food. Our kids don't eat a lot so those who are on the DPP with us usually share their counter meals with the baby, or he eats off our plate. We do at least one buffet/character meal a day so he gets plenty to eat. Even if we have to buy him a meal or snack, it's not a big deal. Costs a lot less than park tickets and the dining plan everyday for someone who doen't eat much.

::yes:: ITA!

Cinderumbrella
03-02-2007, 02:33 PM
We did this with then DS2.5 in 2005 and just ordered him his own meal at the non-buffet restuarants. Kids meals with a drink are almost all less than $5 so our OOP cost was very minimal.

Disneyolic
03-02-2007, 02:49 PM
We'll be travelling with our 2 sons (ages 6, 7) and our daughter who will be just shy of 3. I figure we will probably pay OOP for a counter service for her and that she will share our meals at all TS. I'm sure there will be enough, considering you get an appetizer, entree, and dessert.