PDA

View Full Version : Dinner Suggestions at California Grill?

ZoZo
02-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Am going to the California Grill for dinner in October for the first time. Unsure of what to order -- I looked at their menu on allears.net, and the food seems a bit exotic compared to what I'm used to. As expensive as this meal is likely to be, I wanted to get some feedback about everyone's favorite menu items ahead of time.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

hmp2z
02-28-2007, 06:41 PM
If you like sushi there, they make some top-notch sushi. It's our favorite thing to eat at the CG. Next favorite is the chocolate lava cake.

Cheers!
Heather W

Jerseygirl63
02-28-2007, 06:53 PM
:goodvibes If you are a steak eater then the oak fired beef filet is to die for!!! I don't eat raw fish but I do LOVE the California roll. Very yummy. And I dream about eating the lava cake :goodvibes :goodvibes

MinMouse
02-28-2007, 06:58 PM
:goodvibes If you are a steak eater then the oak fired beef filet is to die for!!! I don't eat raw fish but I do LOVE the California roll. Very yummy. And I dream about eating the lava cake :goodvibes :goodvibes

Ditto!:rotfl:

mrg013
02-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Definitely try the filet and the valrhona chocolate cake. The filet was delicious and very tender- i didn't even need a knife. The cake is one of the best desserts I've ever had. It takes 20 minutes to make, and is a chocolate cake with a warm molten choclate center accompanied by some ice cream- it is a must if you eat at CG! The offerings here aren't all that exotic when you look at them- there are definitely some interesting entrees and appetizers, but there are also some very basic things as well. Even our pickiest eaters found an acceptable entree and dessert.

WDW LOVR
02-28-2007, 08:27 PM
They will prepare what ever you order without any of the foo foo stuff on it. Now before someone yells, I like the foo foo stuff, but my kids like the basics so they just asked for what ever dish plain or what ever and it was no problem.

mtemm
03-01-2007, 09:04 AM
its been a few years since I was there, but the pork tenderloin was phenomenal.

kasnovafly
03-01-2007, 09:14 AM
We always go to CG. Every time we go, the whole family says we are going to try something different. But when the order has to be made we all cave and get the Oak-fired Filet of Beef, it is phenomenal.

I am also a big fan of their sushi. The Autumn Apple Tart is a great dessert as well.

TyRy
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm a pretty picky and unadventureous eater and found the CG wonderful. I just asked for things on the side...I had the Romaine salad w/ a different dressing on the side and asked them to hold the sauce on the filet. It was really good. I even managed to have a piece or two of the flatbread our table ordered. DH and I agreed we will be back.

PrincessBear
03-01-2007, 12:12 PM
hmp2z! your doggie is adorable! and i see you have a link to petfinder...that is where i found my pup!

Wazzo
03-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Here is my Cali Grill review, with pictures!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1222140&referrerid=&highlight=grill

Steffy
03-01-2007, 02:39 PM
I love this place. My favorite foods are the sushi and the oak fired filet.:yay:

vicki845
03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
We loved the flatbreads. It's a meal in its self.

pikaboo27
03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I have to agree with everyone about the sushi. I do NOT eat sushi, but my husband got the "Snake in the Grass" and had me try it, and it was really good. The beef and the chicken are also really great here. :)

ransom
03-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Didn't they just change chefs there?

Has anyone been there since? Is it any different?

Disney Ron
03-02-2007, 07:23 AM
We loved the flatbreads. It's a meal in its self.

its been a few years since I was there, but the pork tenderloin was phenomenal.

I concur with both of these recommendations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsG
03-02-2007, 10:13 AM
It is always a "must do" on every trip. We were just there 2 weeks ago and noticed no difference from the usual, so I'm not sure if there is a new chef. The oak-fired filet is my favorite and my DH loves the sushi - top notch. The service is always wonderful. Even though our "bill" (we were on the DP) was comparable to our dinner at the Coral Reef in dollars (even though Coral Reef is 1 TS and CG is 2), there was no comparison in food presentation and level of service.

If I recall, Coral Reef started off as 2 TS and then dropped to one. Definately not on the same level as CG.

ZoZo
03-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks for all the great input, everyone! I can't wait to try it.

Sugardimples
03-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I had the cheese tray for dessert in January. It was one of the best things I have ever eaten. Can't wait to get it again some day.