PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend a day?

Asteldoth
02-27-2007, 03:11 PM
How much money do you guys pay a day for food? I'm going to WDW next week with a few friends and one of them asked me today how much money she should bring for food. I told her my estimate and she got this horrified look on her face. Now, I was too young to bother with prices on our last trip, so I'm wondering if I'm way off. On average, what do you folks spend?

newholidayx2
02-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Im planning on $50/day for myself
$5 brkfst, $20 TS lunch, $10 dinner, $5 snack, $10 drink
bringing brkfst items and snacks so may not need that but Im budgeting it anyways
with a sitdown lunch most likely wont be eating dinner - most likely be a snack but Im budgeting it anyways
I use daily envelopes and when that day is over move the money to the next day - usually come home w/some
and if i find i dont have enough there's always room charge, etc

newholidayx2
02-27-2007, 03:19 PM
whats your estimate?

honeymo78
02-27-2007, 03:21 PM
It depends on what type of meals you like to eat - table service or counter service. We prefer mainly table service so we easily could spend over $100/person/day on food. This is why we opt for a dining package - DDP for short winter trips and just pay OOP for our extra meals, premium and platinum plans for our longer Oct trips.

The average guest probably doesn't spend that much or I'd see more people booking plat and premium. The DDP can be a great deal at $40 for a table service, counter service and snack. Generally those meals purchased separately would be more than that. So probably $40/person is a good estimate. However, I also know people who spend less than $20 a day on food, bringing a lot of stuff from home.

Asteldoth
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Aw, heck. I told her around 35-40. We'll be doing counter service most days. We only have table service lined up twice during the week.

beattyfamily
02-27-2007, 03:36 PM
For me, I budget maybe $5 for breakfast quick service (muffin/coffee only; counter service meal would be more like $10), at least $10 for lunch doing counter service; the food alone is around $7 without a drink or dessert, and again at least $10 for dinner (counter service).

Then you'd want to have some money for snacks like ice cream and drinks like water (approx $2.50 each) so maybe another $10 at least for snacks/drinks. Funnel cake or Caramel popcorn would be more like $4.

The above totals approx $40. but that's being conservative.

That is not my typical day though. We love sit down meals so I'd always have one of those a day.

Why don't you go to Allearsnet.com (http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm) and check out all the menus to get a better idea or better yet have your friend check it out so she can see for herself how expensive Disney is.

snomofinn
02-27-2007, 03:42 PM
:) Well, for us, a family of 4, hubby, me and 2 girls (20 and 13) I usually allow 200.00 a day for food. We usually spend about 20-25.00 for breakfast (cs), then about 30-35 for lunch (cs) and then around 100.00 for dinner (ts), plus snacks through out the day. Iam usually pretty close!popcorn::

Freyja
02-27-2007, 03:47 PM
On our prak days we spend $120-$150. We´re 2 adults and 4 kids (2,5,10 and 12).

alyssa810
02-27-2007, 08:00 PM
We try to budget about $100 a day for the 2 of us. That's usually one TS meal, and the rest counter service or snacks. There are days where we go way under, and days where we go a little over. Neither of us are drinkers, but we love our desserts...we also have the DDE discount, and the AP and DVC discounts, so that sometimes cuts our costs a lot.

Ilovemyprincesses
02-27-2007, 08:11 PM
If you are staying on property you can do the DDP for $39 per person per day but everyone in the room has to do it. It is all or nothing.

hmillerbarilla
02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
We love the DDP, and if you're planning on speding $40/day anyway on food, you should see if everyone wants to give it a try. I also like the idea of going to allearsnet & checking out the menus. we do that before each trip to just see what we want!:goodvibes

wildernesslodgelover
02-27-2007, 09:14 PM
DH, DD and I consistently spend $100 (total) every night for dinner...sometimes $120, sometimes $90, but in general, I would say $100 for dinner.

For breakfast and lunch and snacks...well, I could get by real cheap but DH has an appetite, so I would say may $30 for the day?

Sooo, I guess that breaks down to about $40 per sperson per day.

Eventer98
02-27-2007, 10:05 PM
If DF and I have a TS breakfast (which is about 75% of the time), $25 in snacks and a definite TS dinner each night, it comes to about $130. It's a lot but since we've loved every meal we have had at WDW we consider it just part of the magical experience! :wizard:

SmallWorld71
02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Depends on how you want to eat. You could do it for less than $20 a day if you bring breakfast foods to eat in your room, bring water and snacks with you and do all counter service. But, if you are there for more than a few days, that will get old fast. allearsnet.com has the prices listed so you could look to see what kinds of food you want and maybe schedule some "cheap" days in with some nicer meals.

jocktheglide
02-27-2007, 10:44 PM
so correct me here so to be cheap (20 bucks/day/person) your only gonna get some snacks and not some "real" food? and for about 60 dollars/day/person (im assuming) your gonna get some real meals? Im trying to figure out if the disney dining plan is for me I told my wife we should at least eat one table service because we are gonna get real tired of just eating hot dogs for 10 days straight.....

SmallWorld71
02-27-2007, 11:05 PM
jocktheglide - Depends on what your definition of real food is. Years ago, I went as a young, single adult to Disney and we did the Hoop-De-Doo and Chef Mickey's. Rest of the time it was fast food/ cereal in the room. I think I had chicken strips and fries 6 times that week! Would I do that now? No. My stomach would rebel.:scared1: If you want what I now consider real food each day then the dining plan is probably the way to go. Real food comes with an unreal price tag. :rotfl2: However, if the original OP's friend is on a tight budget then there are definitely ways to save money and keep the food budget to a smaller (albeit boring) minimum.

jocktheglide
02-27-2007, 11:09 PM
jocktheglide - Depends on what your definition of real food is. Years ago, I went as a young, single adult to Disney and we did the Hoop-De-Doo and Chef Mickey's. Rest of the time it was fast food/ cereal in the room. I think I had chicken strips and fries 6 times that week! Would I do that now? No. My stomach would rebel.:scared1: If you want what I now consider real food each day then the dining plan is probably the way to go. Real food comes with an unreal price tag. :rotfl2: However, if the original OP's friend is on a tight budget then there are definitely ways to save money and keep the food budget to a smaller (albeit boring) minimum.

thanks for the info there...Im trying to remember how much I spent last time I was there with my wife 2 years ago all i remember was the italian restaruent we went to we had to two entrees and our little girl at the time ate off our plate and i thought I spent freaking 80 plus dollars there just for two entrees or was it 100 dollars. right now im border line by buying the DD plan or just using the disney experience dining for 20% off each time we go, but I havent figured in tips yet and as posted seems disney adds in the tip at your check already, but with dining disney its counted already. For 9 days they quoted me 741.00 dollars trying to figure if im gonna spend that much on food during our 9 days there though. I knwo for darn sure my little girl this time will want to dine with characters and trying to get dine with the princess at the castle. :banana:

Asteldoth
02-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Jacktheglide, just so you know. My family figured it out last night that we're going to go for the DDP. We figured 12+20 for meals, plus 5-10 dollars for snacks plus money for taxes and tips was going to make it well worth it for us. Granted, we have a different family than you. (Two adults and two late-teens) But what I would suggest you do what we did. We went on allearsnet.com and looked at the menus, checking the prices for things we would eat on a sample day. It all added up to be more than what we would spend on the DDP.

Thanks everyone, for all your help! :)

KevinYee
02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
By and large I'm against the whole notion of the Disney Dining Plan and I wish they'd get rid of it (it overcrowds the restaurants!). That said, if you are even remotely going to spend $40/person each day, the Dining Plan makes phenomenal sense.

The question becomes, and many here have said it, do you want to save money or go for the experience, since you're on vacation? You can indeed save money and spend about $20/day. But if you're coming up to $35 per day, I'd say go for the Dining Plan instead.

scrapperjill
03-01-2007, 02:09 AM
so correct me here so to be cheap (20 bucks/day/person) your only gonna get some snacks and not some "real" food? and for about 60 dollars/day/person (im assuming) your gonna get some real meals? Im trying to figure out if the disney dining plan is for me I told my wife we should at least eat one table service because we are gonna get real tired of just eating hot dogs for 10 days straight.....

To give you a slight idea of what some "real" food may cost...ONE of our table service meals came up to $185 :scared1: That's for just our family of four (2 adults, 1, 7yo and one 9yo). Thankfully we were on the DDP...so that ONE meal pertty much covered the cost of the WHOLE DDP for us. That was a few years ago...so now one of our girls will be in the "adult" class for the DDP...but even with the additional cost for her age IMO the plan is the way to go. BEST of all....your foods pre paid for...so there's no need to fret over what $ you have on hand for meals. For me....that was a big deciding factor. I liked knowing our food was already paid for...so when someone wanted a snack...we could just grab one. :goodvibes

WDW Poly Princess
03-01-2007, 04:22 AM
I do mostly counter service, and mine works out to $22/day