PDA

View Full Version : Alfredos Closing?

Donaldsfan176
02-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I read on another board that Alfredos is closing. does anybody have any information about this? I hope it's not true. We really like eating there.

The last time we were there the waiter was from the same town in Sicily my grandparents were from.

MJMcBride
02-26-2007, 08:57 PM
It seems unlikely considering how popular it is. The rumor going around is thats it closing in July but people are making ressies in August

rocketriter
02-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I hope this isn't true. I love to take my family there and bore the waiters silly with my umpteenth telling of how, when I was a kid in the 1950s, I had lunch at Alfredo's Originale in Rome. The old man was in that day. He made the fettucine at our table -- with his hands -- told us how he invented the dish in order to pump calories into his wife when she was pregnant and couldn't keep food down, and showed us the solid gold fork and spoon given to him by Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford. My mother even ate a few bites with the fork and spoon, but they were too heavy to use for an entire meal. There, you see? I've bored you with the story, too!

Donaldsfan176
02-27-2007, 07:07 PM
It seems unlikely considering how popular it is. The rumor going around is thats it closing in July but people are making ressies in August

WOW. We have res. for the end if July. I wonder if they are taking reservations knowing the place will be shut down and just not telling anybody they are closing.On the other hand...would it make sense to close a popular restaurant during the busy season?:confused3

pegster56
02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
If there is a closure, I hope it is just to do maint or some other update and then reopens quickly! We are making plans now for vacation later this year and Alfredos is on our list of dining choices that we definitely wanted to try to reserve!

Uncleromulus
03-01-2007, 05:46 AM
Apparently this is as much a "rumor" as anything else----

Crazy Hakim
03-01-2007, 07:03 AM
A lot of the World Showcase Restaurants are closing the next few months for Rehab only. Remember, Oct 1st, 2007 is Epcot's 25th Anniversary Date, and although there is no real official celebration planned, maybe they are just trying to spiffy things up.

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/rehabs.htm

DisOrBust
03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
This is what is posted on Intercot

Alfredo di Roma Ristorante Closing!

Walt Disney World has announced that Alfredo di Roma Ristorante, a fixture at the Italy Pavilion in Epcot for over 20 years, is closing permanently at the end of July, 2007. There will be a replacement Italian restaurant opening in the same location, but at this time Disney has not released any further details. Guests who have advanced dining reservations beyond the closing date will be contacted by Disney in order to make alternate arrangements.

I have to wonder if its demise is do to the DDP. If do it won't be the last.

DC7800
03-01-2007, 03:41 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't the DDP make it less likely a table-service restaurant would close anywhere in WDW, simply because of the overwhelming demand generated by this program. There already appears to be a lack of capacity to meet demand in the parks and resorts; even restaurants (anywhere on or off-site in the WDW area) which don't accept the DDP would seem to benefit indirectly - persons who cannot obtain a seating at a Disney establishment look elsewhere.

Kevin Yee, over at MiceAge, did a recent column on this. It is nearly impossible to secure a same-day dinner reservation anymore (I have proof - trust me), and hence many guests are being turned away disappointed. While his suggestions basaically rationed the priority seating assignments, from my perspective it looks like what's really needed is more dining capacity - more restaurants (not fewer) serving longer hours with more available tables.

Another Voice
03-01-2007, 04:12 PM
I depends on how much Disney is paying the restaurant for the guests' meals. Disney gets to offset the losses it's taking in the resaurants against higher occupancy at the resorts - the owner of Alfredo doesn't have that. From his point of view he's swamped with a lot of people eating more than he's being reimbursed for; and all the cheap people are taking driving out the full-priced diners - I don't blame him one bit for closing up shop.

DisOrBust
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
It has been posted that disney pays "around" 25$ per person per dinner to restaurants they do not own. Some have reported even less. Tips are also prorated to a dolllar amount not a percntage.

Peter Pirate 2
03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Great...They'll probably be opening an Olive Garden.
pirate:

EUROPACL
03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Great...They'll probably be opening an Olive Garden.
pirate:

No such luck its a Fazoli's

Another Voice
03-02-2007, 11:44 AM
The way Disney handles "themeing" these days we'll get one of those combination Taco Bell/KFC/Pizza Huts in the Alfredo's location.

I can hear the plants now - "but pizza's Italian! You just hate Disney!"

Lewisc
03-02-2007, 11:46 AM
More likely a pizza hut buffet.:)

The way Disney handles "themeing" these days we'll get one of those combination Taco Bell/KFC/Pizza Huts in the Alfredo's location.

Mickmse2002
03-02-2007, 12:04 PM
This is what is posted on Intercot

Alfredo di Roma Ristorante Closing!

Guests who have advanced dining reservations beyond the closing date will be contacted by Disney in order to make alternate arrangements.

This doesn't make sense to me. Why continue to accept reservations beyond the alleged closing date just to turn around and have to call the guests back later? I made a reservation Alfredo's today for a dinner in August.

DisOrBust
03-02-2007, 12:07 PM
This isn't uncommon for WDW to do. It has happened in the past during rehabs as well. I would have a back up plan.

Mickmse2002
03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
This isn't uncommon for WDW to do. It has happened in the past during rehabs as well. I would have a back up plan.
Alfredo's is the back-up plan so no big deal if it's not open. Still seems like a waste of staff time to accept a reservation for something that will no longer exist.

vancesmom
03-02-2007, 12:31 PM
On AllEars it says that it's closing August 31st. So, everyone who has reservations should be fine. The contract has run out and they are planning to reopen a new restuarant in the future. I always thought that Alfredo's was ok but maybe this is an opportunity to have something even better. I could be a good change if they stick to something original and not a chain.

dunnhorn
03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
I can think of two things here: First, the place has the same name as a place in Italy. Dis may want to have an italian restaurant that is not linked with another restaurant - for legal reasons, or whatever.

Secondly, that place is SMALL considering how popular it is. Have you been in there when it has been packed? It is standing room only and I am surprised there is no fire code violation. Last year we could barely squeeze the family to the table.

One by one, they have been completely renovating the EPCOT restaurants, from the ambiance to the menu. They have done this with the Garden Grill, and the Japan places, and Norway - I think the England place is next and Canada won't be far behind.

I hope they make the place larger... Seriously, it is one of the most popular restaurants at EPCOT so I am sure it will reemerge in some form. Let's just hope it will be bigger and better.....

EUROPACL
03-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I can think of two things here: First, the place has the same name as a place in Italy. Dis may want to have an italian restaurant that is not linked with another restaurant - for legal reasons, or whatever.

Sort of like the McDonalds fry carts, Rainforest Cafe, Cheesecake Factory, Wolfgang Puck, Earl of Sandwich, Planet Hollywood , House of Blues or the ESPN Club?

dunnhorn
03-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Great point. Maybe it was Alfredos who wanted out.

MJMcBride
03-02-2007, 08:42 PM
I could be a good change if they stick to something original and not a chain.

True, but unlikely

MessyJ
03-02-2007, 10:00 PM
I depends on how much Disney is paying the restaurant for the guests' meals. Disney gets to offset the losses it's taking in the resaurants against higher occupancy at the resorts - the owner of Alfredo doesn't have that. From his point of view he's swamped with a lot of people eating more than he's being reimbursed for; and all the cheap people are taking driving out the full-priced diners - I don't blame him one bit for closing up shop.

However, the owner could always opt out of the DDP. There are plenty of restaurants on property that don't participate. Or if WDW wouldn't let him out of it since he's in the park, he could always demand that he be one of the restaurants that needs 2 passes per meal. Alfredo's is good, but I find it hard to believe that they would loose money with an average of $50 a plate. Seems to me that this might be a situation that is independent of the DDP.

Uncleromulus
03-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Better is always a possibility, but I'm wondering if it can be much larger, given the way the Italy section is already laid out. Could be they simply put in a new operation in exactly the same place--

Luv2Roam
03-03-2007, 08:24 AM
I hope a counter service in the Italy pavilion will be included. I could never figure out why they did not have one. And nothing to really keep guests in that area either, except a few shops.

scottb8888
03-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Alfredo's is our favorite restaurant. We go there multiple nights when we visit Disney....

rantnnravin
03-06-2007, 03:27 PM

nah,
a mall food court plopped into the center of WS Lagoon. Then they could free up all that space wasted on restaurants to add in more shops...
doesn't everyone need a Stitch of all nationalities?

Another Voice
03-06-2007, 03:34 PM
If I recall correctly, the initial plan called for an art museum in a recreation of a Roman villia. But like all the build out plans for EPCOT Center, they were cancelled in less than two years after opening when Michael Eisner took over.

After that the closest Italy got to a ride was a clone of Disneyland's 'Matterhorn'. It was the fallback location after Nestle refused to fund an entire Swiss pavilion.

mickey2000
03-06-2007, 04:39 PM
pixiedust: .

MJMcBride
03-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I hope a counter service in the Italy pavilion will be included. I could never figure out why they did not have one. And nothing to really keep guests in that area either, except a few shops.

maybe they'll finally have a decent slice of pizza there. In case anyone cares here's a story/review on alfredo's

http://www.mouseextra.com/

mickey2000
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Alfredos is a class act and they just can't put up with DI$NEY being cheap !
Its just the Disney way ! Ask the people who work there how they are treated by the big CHEESE!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/diz/2.gif
OH GREAT DI$NEY
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/diz/notworthy.gif

scottb8888
03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Should we complain?

mickey2000
03-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Should we complain?

Why ? You think they would listen :rotfl:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/diz/americanidol.gif

G8RFAN
03-08-2007, 07:01 PM
I would have never called Alfredos excellent. In fact, it seemed to evoke quite a polarized view from the DIS base. I ate there last month and had a good meal compared to the previous meal we had there so I can see why. Change may be a good thing here. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who hates Olive Garbage. Even tho I think Macaroni Grill is ok, and I do enjoy a steady diet of Carrabbas, I agree with most here that any Italian American chain would ruin the perception of authenticity of dining at EPCOT. In any event, I do hope they also put in CS with good pizza. I have had pizza hankerings at EPCOT and had to walk to the Boardwalk to get my fix.

stitchgal
03-09-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm not a big fan of Alfredo's but I would love to see a counter service restaurant in Italy.

Keyser
03-09-2007, 11:26 PM
In any event, I do hope they also put in CS with good pizza. I have had pizza hankerings at EPCOT and had to walk to the Boardwalk to get my fix.

Honestly, I think the pizza in the Northeastern U.S. beats the "authentic" pizza from Italy, so if they do put in CS pizza, I hope they get some northeasterner to run it... Or, I'd take someone from Chicago (not the same, but still good). While "authentic" Italian food tends to be better than what you tend to get in the U.S., I do think the pizza (in certain parts of the U.S. - not the chains, though) is one thing we've improved on...

Another Voice
03-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Honestly, I think the pizza in the Northeastern U.S. beats the "authentic" pizza from Italy, so if they do put in CS pizza, I hope they get some northeasterner to run it...
And we wonder why the world hates us...

dunnhorn
03-10-2007, 06:28 PM

Nah, the Taco Bell is going in the Mexican Fast Food kiosk right outside Mexico.

rie'smom
03-10-2007, 07:25 PM
This makes me sad. We've always enjoyed Alfredo's. Disney will probably substitute a Let's Eat Nemo Italian Buffet.
Pitiful

YoHo
03-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Pizza as we know it, New York and Chicago (yummy) isn't actually an Italian creation anyway, so it's not just that we make better pizza, it's that we're the only ones that make it at all.

Putting a Pizza Joint in the Italy pavilion would be offensive. So AV, the World hates us, because you and McBride claim that Pizzia is Italian in the first place.

EUROPACL
03-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Pizza as we know it, New York and Chicago (yummy) isn't actually an Italian creation anyway, so it's not just that we make better pizza, it's that we're the only ones that make it at all.

Putting a Pizza Joint in the Italy pavilion would be offensive. So AV, the World hates us, because you and McBride claim that Pizzia is Italian in the first place.

Sounds pretty close....

The Pizza began simply as a garnished flat bread sold by roaming vendors to the poor in the streets of 18th century Naples. Probably the biggest step wards its present-day persona was the acceptance of the tomato by the Neapolitans, and the subsequent use of its flesh as pizza topping.

This happy culinary partnership was endorsed, so the story goes, in 1889 when queen Margherita was
accompanying her Husband, Umberto I of Savoia on an inspection of his Italian Kingdom. During her trips around the kingdom she saw many peasants and poor people eating a flat bread which they called "Pizza".The curious queen summoned her guards and asked them to bring her a piece of this flat bread. The queen liked what she ate and would eat this flat bread every time she went out of her palace.

The queen was extremely popular with the masses and had developed a great liking for their Pizza. This taste was considered somewhat undesirable in court circles. One day in June, on the queens insistence Raffaele Esposito was summoned from his pizzeria to the palace to bake a selection of Pizzas for the queen.

Raffaele in order to honour the queens desire for his
pizzas baked a special pizza with tomato, Mozzarella, cheese and basil (the colours of the Italian flag - red/white/green). The pizza was a great hit with the queen and Esposito was summoned often to bake this pizza. When the news got out that the queens favourite was topped with tomato, mozzarella & basil, she not only became an even greater hit with the public, but also started a trend for the Pizza Margherita that has lasted in Naples and around the world to this day.

http://www.chefexpress.com/history.htm

YoHo
03-11-2007, 06:16 PM
I stand corrected.

I hate standing corrected, makes my feet hurt.

EUROPACL
03-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I stand corrected.

I hate standing corrected, makes my feet hurt.

I'd always heard that it got big in America in the late 40's after all the soliders comming back from Europe had gotten a taste while over there for the war.

tangiblehope
03-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm sad about this. We always make a point of eating there. We even had lunch there right before my fiance proposed.

DisOrBust
03-12-2007, 11:45 PM
IMHO people better get use to it. I would not be surprised to see Chef's and Mexicos restaurant be departing if their lease is up as well.

Another Voice
03-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Hey, if Landry can do Asian Fusion, certainly they can do Italian, French and Mexican.

MJMcBride
03-13-2007, 08:46 PM
And we wonder why the world hates us...

I don't know if you have ever been to Italy but american pizza blows it out of the water. The only good pizza that I have had in this country (I have never been to Cali) has been in the northeast especially NYC.

YoHo
03-13-2007, 08:54 PM
People who don't like Chicago style pizza should be herded up and....
Well, they should be neutralized, let's put it that way.

I wouldn't expect a guy from jeresy to understand.

Of course, I don't expect much from the Garden state, so that's not saying anything ;)

G8RFAN
03-14-2007, 07:10 AM
We're going back to Italy in a couple of weeks for a nice vacation. Margherita pizza is one of my favorites! Honestly you can not compare NY or Chicago style pizza to the offerings in Italy. Totaly different. Just like trying to compare a shrimp and lobster sauce at any Chinese joint in America to a "lobster" sauce dish in Hong Kong. Being that I was born in NYC but also spent 7 years in the Chicago area, I love both styles and they are different enough that I don't have to make a choice of which is "better". All I know is that there are almost no pizza joints in South FL that can be called good.

MJMcBride
03-14-2007, 08:33 PM
People who don't like Chicago style pizza should be herded up and....
Well, they should be neutralized, let's put it that way.

I wouldn't expect a guy from jeresy to understand.

Of course, I don't expect much from the Garden state, so that's not saying anything ;)

alright..alright. I forgot about Chicago style thats good too. NYC is still better. But both blow Italy out of the water

MyGoofy26
03-15-2007, 12:03 PM
We're going back to Italy in a couple of weeks for a nice vacation. Margherita pizza is one of my favorites! Honestly you can not compare NY or Chicago style pizza to the offerings in Italy.

ITA - Pizza in Italy and pizza anywhere else are completely different animals. Going to Italy ruined me on pizza. I came home and NOTHING came close. Ours is so greasy and loaded - the Italians have figured out that simplicity is best. Simple, fresh ingredients - can't beat it. I'd love to see them bring in a real pizzeria - you'd have to drag me away.

MrsKMusto
03-26-2007, 01:48 AM
From what I heard from a CM Olive Garden might be a sponsor for the new Italian restaurant.

DisOrBust
03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
If Olive Garden goes in I give up! Yellowstone here we come!!

Another Voice
03-26-2007, 12:02 PM
There are whispers about many Disney restaurants going over to a "strategic partner" - in fact outsourcing a lot of WDW's food operations. Landry (owners of the Rainforest Cafe, Chathouse and many other chains) already operates many restaurants for Disney. The Patina Group (owners so high end restarants in New York, Los Angeles and San Fransico) operates the restaurants in Disneyland's Downtown Disney. There are occansional rumors about Darden - who own the Red Lobster (and yes), The Olive Garden.

2Xited4Disney
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't care if it is Olive Garden food, theme, or hospitality, but if they EVEN think of using the name "Olive Garden" I'll never eat there again. I can go to Olive Garden any night why spend hundreds of dollars to eat there

vancesmom
03-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I agree. I don't care if Olive Garden plays a part in it. I know that Disney works a lot with sponsering/partnering. Epcot has worked this way for a very long time. However, I have Olive Garden here and can get soup salad and breadsticks for 5.99. Why would I pay 29.99 for the same thing at Disney. As long as the name and menu are unique to Disney then I'll try it.

mitros
03-26-2007, 09:20 PM

Yay! With that combo, they will have to add Pepsi! Well, to DW and I, that would be a plus........

manning
03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
There are occansional rumors about Darden - who own the Red Lobster (and yes), The Olive Garden.

Gee, does that mean we will have a lobsterfest at the living seas?:rolleyes1

trepka1440
03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
i agree, i won't eat at rainforest because i can go there anytime where i live.

escape
03-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Gee, does that mean we will have a lobsterfest at the living seas?:rolleyes1

Better than Captain Ds. :rotfl2:

DisBride23
04-06-2007, 03:51 PM
:sad2:
I'm actualy really sad about Alfredo's closing. It is one of my favorite places to eat. I make time to go there at least once a trip.
I hope this is all just rumors... :sad1:

MJMcBride
04-06-2007, 07:55 PM
:sad2:
I'm actualy really sad about Alfredo's closing. It is one of my favorite places to eat. I make time to go there at least once a trip.
I hope this is all just rumors... :sad1:

Its official that Alfredo's is gone. Disney has announced it. They have not named a replacement as far as I know

dunnhorn
04-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Its official that Alfredo's is gone. Disney has announced it. They have not named a replacement as far as I know

We just decided to go in May. I called Dis Dining for advanced ressies, and I had the hardest time getting a table for 6 anywhere... except for Alfredos! I asked the agent if it was not as popular as others, and she remarked that it was larger. Hrm.... I wonder....

MJMcBride
04-07-2007, 08:55 AM
We just decided to go in May. I called Dis Dining for advanced ressies, and I had the hardest time getting a table for 6 anywhere... except for Alfredos! I asked the agent if it was not as popular as others, and she remarked that it was larger. Hrm.... I wonder....

Alfredo's problem has never been lack of patrons. Since Epcot opened, the place has been one of the first to fill to capacity. The problem is essentially the contract ran out.

Horace Horsecollar
04-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Alfredo's problem has never been lack of patrons. Since Epcot opened, the place has been one of the first to fill to capacity. The problem is essentially the contract ran out.
I agree that Alfredo has been popular since Epcot opened in 1982.

If both sides had been happy with the arrangement, the contact would have been renewed. Neither Disney nor Alfredo of Rome are under any obligation to disclose the actual reasons why they chose to part company, so we'll probably never really know.

MJMcBride
04-07-2007, 11:58 AM
I agree that Alfredo has been popular since Epcot opened in 1982.

If both sides had been happy with the arrangement, the contact would have been renewed. Neither Disney nor Alfredo of Rome are under any obligation to disclose the actual reasons why they chose to part company, so we'll probably never really know.

fair enough. One can only assume its money

mitros
04-16-2007, 08:11 PM

Ya' got that right. Since we first started going to WDW in 1988, I think we were able to get into that place maybe 3 times. Whenever we go by there, the place is filled to overflowing............