PDA

View Full Version : For those who have cruised in Dec and Jan??

tammymacb
02-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I work at a level 3 hospital and we aren't allowed vacation time at Christmas. So, even though I'm off this year, I can't go far or for long. Our Christmas' are usually just home. I'd love to do something different.

I've held a ressie for the Dec 16, 2007, 4 day Wonder cruise. I'm really excited! However, because I can't help it, I've also checked out the January prices and they ( of course ) are much cheaper.

As an ex Florida resident, I'm figuring that a December cruise will still give me some decent weather, where I'm risking it in January.

Please give me your pros and cons...Take my first choice ( Dec ) or save a little money in Jan.

TIA

ThePhantomsGirl
02-22-2007, 09:30 AM
I just cruised in January and was very pleased! In Key West it was overcast and windy - but the rest of the cruise was nice in my opinion. Not too hot, and not cold. It WAS pretty warm on CC but then again it's a beach so having it that way worked for many.

I'd go again in a second in January!

lindakmonty
02-22-2007, 09:42 AM
we cruised early Dec. and it was gorgeous! Plus having the holiday decor was very magical. We just did a 4 night leaving Feb 4 and it was too chilly for my taste. Naturally, the weather can just be hard to predict. It can be beautiful on cruise and much cooler the next. You'll have a wonderful time either way. The Feb. one my ds was playin on CC in pants and there were very few people in the water at all. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

maggiet
02-22-2007, 09:57 AM
We have cruised in January twice. There were no decorations up, but the weather was wonderful and the seas calm. It was perfect for touring around, swimming on the ship was fine, but the water at CC cay was a bit on the cold side. Nontheless, we did snorkel and the kids played in the water. I would go for January again if I could, but now my kids are old enough that missing school would be somewhat of a problem. Either way, have a fabulous trip!

gortman65
02-22-2007, 10:31 AM
We did our first Disney cruise this past January and had highs in the 60's and low 70's. The water at CC was bracing at first but once you got used to it, wasn't too bad. It was shorts and t-shirt weather for us, especially since we'd just escaped for a few days from cold weather in Denver.

I bet the holiday decorations in December would be fantastic, but not having them in January didn't detract at all from the fun we had.

Not sure how much you'd save shifting your cruise to January, but I hope you have a great time on your cruise no matter when you go!

calmom
02-22-2007, 11:36 AM
My mom detests the cold in any way - we just got back from a January cruise with her and she loved it. Yes, it isn't 90 degrees but it isn't 60! It is nice weather, a little windy but can be windy year around. Some people complained about the water being cold at CC, but it felt fine to me - and kids often can swim in anything. I say January as December is just such a busy time (in my opinion).
Lisa

Tink&SquirtsMom
02-22-2007, 02:04 PM
We cruised in Dec and while we're glad we did it and had an awesome time, we've decided winter cruising is not for us. I like hot places to be hot, not barely warm enough to swim. We had rain and wind at Castaway Cay. We enjoyed our summer cruise there much more.

tvguy
02-22-2007, 02:28 PM
We did New Years on the Magic, no problem. Have cruised on another line in January during a huge Florida freeze, a day out to sea and it was warm.
So, I guess I would avoid the Western if I was really worried about cooler weather, since the Eastern goes much further south.
Only thing we noticed at Castaway Cay was the air temperature was very near the water temperature, both nice, but made it seem cooler when you got out of the water. And it did rain on CC, but it was a warm, light rain.

Tink&SquirtsMom
02-22-2007, 02:56 PM
You got lucky. :) Ours was a downpour.