PDA

View Full Version : A teaser photo!

psimon
02-21-2007, 08:12 AM
What do you make of the announcement/tease posted over at Re-imagineering (http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/). This site is written by those in the know. Some excellent articles here... This time there is just a tease posted. The article/photo I refer to is the Photo titled "Cannonballing Down Through the Sky... "

Could it be the wand is coming down?

---Paul in Southern NJ

Dodie
02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
LET'S HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Love that blog by the way. Am a regular reader.)

psimon
02-21-2007, 10:09 AM
LET'S HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Love that blog by the way. Am a regular reader.)

It is a wonderful blog.... always go looking for more entrys. There are never enough!

Another Voice
02-21-2007, 11:07 AM
The buzz is the wand is coming down to mark EPCOT Center's 25th Birthday.

Okay, it's actually coming down for maintenance reasons, but since the company won't even acknowledge the milestone for the park I'm going to make it part of our celebrations. So while Disney is busy turning the rest of the place into 'Epcot for Idiots', at least we'll have a tiny bit of EPCOT's glory back to enjoy.

Werner Weiss
02-21-2007, 11:17 AM
It could be worse... http://www.yesterland.com/epcotwand.html

Another Voice
02-21-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm very sorry Mr. Weiss, but if they ever put on a pirates hat we shall be forced to hold you personally responsible!

And the photo of the "castle cake" is giving me flashbacks. The only thing at WDW that ever topped either the wand or the cake was the "Future Circus" set-up they had in Future World way, way back.

But the absolute worst was 'The Globe of Death' in Disneyland's hub for the Circus days out here. There's nothing quite like the beauty of Sleeping Beauty's castle as a backdrop to three motorcycles zipping around a wire mesh cage.

raidermatt
02-21-2007, 11:45 AM
It could be worse... http://www.yesterland.com/epcotwand.html

At least those show a sense of humor.

DC7800
02-21-2007, 01:20 PM
The buzz is the wand is coming down...

Hallelujah!

Now, can someone see what can be done about that hat?

Another Voice
02-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Best Fan Gear Ever:

http://www.zazzle.com/SpookyBear/product/235785129217876004

mrsR123
02-21-2007, 04:12 PM
That is the absolute best t-shirt I have ever seen.

WebmasterCricket
02-21-2007, 04:40 PM
That "Old School" shirt is really really tempting me...

ChrisFL
02-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Epcot82, another great blogger posted that a lot of the new memorabilia for Epcot is WITHOUT the wand!! I consider this a very good sign.

But for those of you who hate the hat at MGM, I don't think we'll see anything happen to it.

2Xited4Disney
02-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Including the new planning video...

Another Voice
02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
This is all rumor, but the real reason the wand is coming down is because it's falling down on it's own. It was originally supposed to only last a year for the 2000 Celebtration, but Eisner liked it and the cost of taking it down was and easy budget cut to make. But now the years, and the storms, have finally taken their toll. The cost of maintenance is getting to be higher than the cost of taking it down - so the down it will come.

The hat, however, was designed and built as a permenant structure. Becasue the current management really likes the 'Icons for Idiots' campaign, the hat is going to be there for a long, long, long time.

WebmasterCricket
02-22-2007, 04:18 PM
...the hat is going to be there for a long, long, long time.

So you're saying there's a chance? Yes! :)

JuneChickie
02-22-2007, 11:58 PM
What do you make of the announcement/tease posted over at Re-imagineering (http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/). This site is written by those in the know. Some excellent articles here... This time there is just a tease posted. The article/photo I refer to is the Photo titled "Cannonballing Down Through the Sky... "

Could it be the wand is coming down?

---Paul in Southern NJ

Is this a different site or on here ?
Could I please have a link so I can read it too.

Thanks,

June

YoHo
02-23-2007, 12:41 AM
The underlined words Re-imagineering is the link

JuneChickie
02-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks , I didn't even notice that till now.

Cobra B.
03-01-2007, 08:10 PM
After today's announcements, I hope it falls dangerously close to Iger. But it would be nice to see the ball without the wand the next time I visit Four Seasons World.

MJMcBride
03-02-2007, 07:48 PM
So you're saying there's a chance? Yes! :)

there ya go. Embrace the hat.

KPeveler
03-05-2007, 08:41 AM
also, SSE is getting a massive renovation, so they may be renovating the outside too!

AT&T may not want it up there since they are sponsoring it...

daber
03-05-2007, 09:52 AM
also, SSE is getting a massive renovation, so they may be renovating the outside too!

AT&T may not want it up there since they are sponsoring it...

AT&T no longer sponsors it. Siemans does.

KPeveler
03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
AT&T no longer sponsors it. Siemans does.

I knew what I meant! I knew they had just got a new sponsor.

I saw the hat needs to go. the whole flow of MGM was ruined!!! you used to be able to look down and see the theatre. why build the theatre if you cant see it.

Live4FW
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
For the monorail playsets, they have discontinued the hat but the castle, tree and ball remain available.

ASilmser
03-09-2007, 03:59 PM
[/QUOTE]
I saw the hat needs to go. the whole flow of MGM was ruined!!! you used to be able to look down and see the theatre. why build the theatre if you cant see it.[/QUOTE]

I was there last year, and I took a behind the scenes tour. The cast member mentioned that the owners of the Chinese theater had not renewed an agreement with Disney for use of their building facade (apparently Disney paid some sort of licsensing fee to the owners). At any rate, rather than be forced to tear it down, the owners of the Chinese Theater (it's owned by a big chain, but I don't know which one) agreed to let Disney keep it up their if they constructed something that blocked it's view, thus removing it as a focal point.

And so, the hat was placed in front of the theater, complete with a souvenir shop right below it. I don't know how much of this is true, but It seems plausible. If anyone else can confirm this, it would be appreciated.

At any rate, if this is true, we probably won't be seeing the hat go away for awhile.

LGithens
03-15-2007, 07:48 AM
I can somewhat put up with the wand, but I HATE the hat! It was fun the first year, but then I would rather seen it come down. I also thought the Chinese theatre was the icin for MGM, guess they just had to cartoon it up!

Lori

DisBride23
04-06-2007, 03:42 PM
I too heard the story about the loss of rights for the theatre. A CM told me when the hat first went up. Though I'm not a fan of the hat, I'm just glad the wand is going. To me, that was worse!

DC7800
04-06-2007, 04:40 PM
If it were solely an issue of 'hiding' a Chinese Theater you don't have the 'rights' to display, it surely would have been cheaper (and easier) to just build a new facade for the front of the Great Movie Ride building. Change just enough architectural details that the place is no longer recognizable as the Hollywood landmark and the problem is solved.

That Hat was a 100 Years of Magic (marketing) symbol, placed in a rather poorly chosen location, and which should have went away at the end of that promotion (ok, it should never have been done at all, but...). The Castle Cake was eventually removed; So should the Wand and Hat.