PDA

View Full Version : Bridge to Terabithia News & Reviews

*NikkiBell*
02-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Did you all see the new movie? We are taking my fifth grade class there for a trip tomorrow being that the novel is in our curriculum. Any thoughts on the film?

rocketriter
02-19-2007, 12:27 PM
We saw it yesterday (Sunday). My wife and I thought it was terrific, just about the best tween movie we've ever seen. However, our 10-year-old daughter hated it and came out of the theater furious. Here's why:
1) The commercials and trailers led her to expect a full-blown fantasy film like Lord of the Rings or The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. But it's not. It's an intimate story about a couple of rural kids who, at times, imagine a few lovely fantastic things.
2) Like Bambi and Old Yeller, it has a tragic ending. There is a lovely "redemption" at the end (no, the dead character does not reappear or come back to life), but even so the conclusion is 3-hankie.

So, misled by the trailers and unprepared for tragedy, my daughter was blindsided and as a result hated an absolutely wonderful film.

*NikkiBell*
02-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Not for nothing, but this is based on a very famous Newberry Award winning novel. I will be seeing the film tomorrow, but was distraught with the idea of making it fantasy-based when it is actually realistic fiction centering on friendship and growing up. I was surprised when the commercials heightened the fantasy elements, but am relieved that they don't dominate what is a very charming story.

Tigger031266
02-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Saw it yesterday. The girl that dies is so sweet and pretty. It really make it painful. It maybe a good reality thing for kids. I just wish they could have used the Disney Magic to bring her back.

jimmytammy
02-19-2007, 07:37 PM
I took the kids Friday night and thought it was a very good movie for a parent and kids to see together. It wasnt so kiddy that an adult wouldnt enjoy, but it wasnt far reaching for a kid either. The trailers are misleading. My DD read a review and stopped short of giving the whole thing away, so it did have a surprising turn of events. The fantasy side of things was good, but not far fetched. Just a couple of kids using their imaginations.

A wholesome movie by todays comparisons, IMO. I like the fact that they were bold enough to sing an old hymn in the movie. This gave a nice touch. Sorta reminded me of watching an Andy Griffith show. I would give it 4.5 stars outta 5.

*NikkiBell*
02-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Saw it yesterday. The girl that dies is so sweet and pretty. It really make it painful. It maybe a good reality thing for kids. I just wish they could have used the Disney Magic to bring her back.

While this would have been a sweet ending, it would not have been true to the novel which was directed by the author's own son. He also wrote the screenplay for it. Good thought though. :thumbsup2

patsal
02-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Up until a few months ago (After he finished To Kill a Mockingbird) Bridge was my son's favorite novel. I was concerned withthe "over kill" on the fantasy part, I'm really glad they were true to the novel. I can't wait to see it very soon! Gotta love those coming of age novels that work for both girls and boys!

DisneyFanGuy
02-25-2007, 05:57 AM
I had never read the novel, and the previews really turned me off. I thought it was a cheap rip off of Narnia. Then I read the reviews and asked my kids what the story was. So off we went last night. It was really good. We talked about it all evening.

I think they really blew the trailer and marketing for this film. If you weren't familiar with the book, then it did nothing to draw you in. This a very fine film, and well worth seeing with your kids. It's NOT a fantasy. It's a sensitive, moving drama with enough fantasy sprinkled in to make it interesting. It's very sad at the end due to the death of Leslie, and will generate a lot of feelings and discussion. Don't miss it.

MomofKatie
02-25-2007, 06:36 PM
OP, could you edit the title to state there are spoilers? Oy, I really wanted to see the movie, and now I feel like the ending has been ruined for me. Glad it has been getting good reviews, though.

DisneyFanGuy
02-27-2007, 02:54 PM
See it anyway. My kids told me the whole thing, and that's how they got me to go. It was terrific.

pouncingpluto
02-28-2007, 07:51 AM
I would think that a thread that says "Reviews" in the title would indicate a high likelihood of spoilers. It would be pretty lame if people just reviewed the movie by saying, "It was good," or "It was bad."

MomofKatie
02-28-2007, 08:02 AM
I would think that a thread that says "Reviews" in the title would indicate a high likelihood of spoilers. It would be pretty lame if people just reviewed the movie by saying, "It was good," or "It was bad."

I agree that a simple "good/bad" isn't really a review, but giving away the major plotpoint/ending is a little too much. I have read many reviews over the years of films that didn't give away the major suprise/climax in the review. I'm just saying, there might be others who DON'T want to be told the ending before they get a chance to see it for themselves. If I had known beforehand, I might not have read the thread.

No big deal- I'm just a bit disappointed. JMO.

momto6
02-28-2007, 08:49 PM
We haven'r read the book. My kids ages 8 and 11 really enjoyed it. Have to admit I really didn't want to see it, just took them since they all did. I ended up enjoying the film as much as they did. The special effects were great.

disneytraveler
03-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I saw it over the past weekend. I never read the book but i thought the movie was great!

2angelsinheaven
03-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Ugh! I was hoping for a review but not to be given the ending...oh well I'll still be heading to see it this afternoon. But...ugh! =o)

donaldbuzz&minnie
03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
My husband and I didn't know anything about the movie when we went in - we were just looking for something light, and the trailer made it look like a fantasy.

We were surprised at how different it was than we expected, but we thought it was great! I used to teach 5th grade, and I thought it was a perfect movie for girls, especially. It hits on issues that are big at that age - why kids bully, how to survive being an outsider, how you need to keep going in life, sibling issues. I just thought it was wonderful without being preachy.

Two thumbs up! Enjoy! popcorn::