PDA

View Full Version : Please, please help me

Warmwinds
02-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I thought I had it all figured out. I have had reservations for almost a year. We are two adults traveling w/o kids. We have reservations for our entire 10 days, off-site, at the Hilton Grand Vacations at Sea World. A 4-room suite (with jacuzzi and screened in porch) for $155/nt.

We recently added (actually, added ON TOP of) our Hilton stay to be at the GF for the night of our anniversary.

Now I'm wondering if we should switch to spend more of our time on-site. We would still stay the first 3 nights at the Hilton (since we're doing off-site stuff, too)...but then...almost every single ADR I have is for a Disney restaurant for the last several days of our trip.

What should we do????

I HATE the thought of paying more for less, but should we switch to Disney for our last several nights?

I WILL NOT pay for a Deluxe every night, but we could pay almost the same amount at POR for our last nights...for just a room.

As opposed to our 4 room suite at the Hilton.

Am I just being mesmerized by this board? Will the traffic be HORRIBLE driving from the Hilton to WDW every day? (we are not really early or really late people - would probably go from 10 to 6 every day).

What would you HONESTLY do?

sandybobandy
02-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Honestly? I wouldn't be as worried as you are. YOU'RE GOING TO DISNEYWORLD afterall :)

Secondly, my DH and I like to split our stays so the suite you have reserved at the Hilton sounds absolutely marvelous! So honestly I'd split the stay just like you had mentioned.
POFQ is a beautiful, romantic resort. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you stayed there.

I wish you luck!
Sandy :)

byoung
02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
POR is also great. Check out renting DVC.

musicmom3
02-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Moving from the Hilton to the GF to POR within 10 days would be a bit discombobulating for me, but then I am the boring type who prefers to settle in and stay put. Still, many people enjoy split stays. Are you a first-time visitor to the parks? How many park days do you have planned, and where are your ADRs? We always stay on site because to us it really enriches the Disney experiene and we like the seamless days into nights into more days and more nights of unalloyed Disney magic. Comparing the Hilton or other off-site hotel to on-site resorts is a little like comparing apples and oranges. I would think that your decision is going to be determined in large part to what your Florida itinerary looks like as a whole.

CanadianGuy
02-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Sounds like you'll have a rental car. Which obviates the need for riding Disney transportation to the non-monorail destinations.. that's nice.

But you don't tell us what time of year you're going. Traffic will very much depend on when you're going.

If this is December, the 4th of July weekend or spring break in March.. you'd have a very different experience from certain other times of year.

J

Warmwinds
02-15-2007, 08:12 PM
We're going SOON...arriving in Orlando Feb 23, leaving March 4. The first weekend we are there is the end of President's week, so we were not going to go to the parks at all that Friday or Saturday.

That week, starting on Feb 25, should have been relatively slow except for the inundation of the Cheerleaders.

I really like all the space and amenities we would have at the Hilton.

Lots of people stay offsite...right?

I was just reading about POR and there are no private patios or balconies. No in-room jacuzzi. No kitchen.

I know a Disney board is probably the WRONG place to have this discussion...

Luv Bunnies
02-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Your offsite room sounds like a great deal. Personally, I would just stick with that. Plenty of people stay offsite and have a wonderful time. Being onsite has its advantages, but you will definitely get less room for more money at any of the Disney resorts. I also don't think I would like packing up and moving in the middle of my trip. I would prefer to stay put. The Sea World area is very close to WDW and I don't think you'll have any problems driving in and out each day. Just remember that you'll pay $10 a day for parking at the parks if you're not staying onsite. Don't stress! It sounds like you have a wonderful vacation planned!:)

karibritt01
02-15-2007, 08:29 PM
I love staying at Diney, but we utilize the EMH and transportation. Since you don't plan to do EMH. and don't need the buses... stay put! I personally would never give up that jacuzzi if I were leaving my kids at home!!:cloud9: PLUS... don't the PO resorts act as overflow for the cheerleaders?? :scared1: :faint:

Warmwinds
02-15-2007, 09:20 PM
PLUS... don't the PO resorts act as overflow for the cheerleaders??

:rotfl: As if I didn't need any more convincing!

Yes, in my heart I know I don't need to stay on site (no little kids to get back for naps, etc.). You do get crazed, though, reading these boards. What I was really thinking of was not having to drive - making it a "real" vacation. But really, looking at a map, it's not that far. We're going to have the car no matter what.

Hey, if we check into the Hilton and hate it we'll have a few days to figure out Plan B.

But we will still keep the GF on our anniversary - that sounds like a good idea to me. And it will give me a chance to get a feel for on-site for "next time".

disnut8
02-16-2007, 06:06 PM
We stay offsite most of the time now. It fits better into our budget. So we drive to Disney every day. You are up at Sea World? The best way (and I could be wrong because we always stay on Highway 192) would be International Drive south to Osceola Parkway and make a right. You can't miss the intersection. The Gaylord Palms is there and if anyone misses that, well, they shouldn't be driving. Right after you go under I4, you'll be on Disney property. Other than the parking fee (unless you are Annual Passholders), it really is relatively painless.

I'd stick with the Hilton. As much as I love staying onsite, sounds like you got a great deal.

And as a footnote. If you continue straight at the intersection of International Drive and Osceola Parkway, there's Publix grocery store right before you get to Highway 192. There's a Walgreen's right there as well.

Warmwinds
02-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Yes, I also found some other wonderful "back way" directions. We also will be traveling at very off hours (either very early for a breakfast reservation or very late because we want to sleep in), so I'm really looking forward to staying offsite - we do want to do some things and eat some meals outside the parks, and the Hilton really does sound lovely. Plus we will get our Hilton HHonors points to use towards another trip someplace! :banana:

Mrs Potato Head
02-16-2007, 07:10 PM
We stayed at that same resort in January 06...our last off-site timeshare as we purchased the DVC on our last day of that trip.

The Hilton was nice enough...a little run down in some places...but overall, not bad. The drive was a pain for us...and my DH and I finally had enough by the end of that trip. (Seems like every night we'd take the same wrong turn)For us, it's not the same to go to Disney and not be on property....but that's just us.

The Hilton was nice...and we did get a few less expensive dinners because we were off-site and it was convenient...like going to the Outback Steakhouse one night I recall....

BTW, the timeshare we used was my DH's parents, who still don't understand why we bought DVC when we could use their week whenever we wanted...but, like I said...I'm not at WDW unless I'm IN WDW. That's just me...

jamounger
02-16-2007, 09:16 PM
We have stayed at the Hilton Grand vacation and it is a beautiful resort, i think it was really cushier than the DVC club we stayed in but you are paying for the location when you stay at Disney. You will have a wonderful time wherever you are. We stayed at CSR last fall in a king room and I have to say it was as nice as any of the Deluxes we have stayed in.

Luv2Roam
02-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Since your trip is so soon I would just leave it. I would not want to switch resorts so often while on vacation.
Traffic can be bad anytime on I4. That is just a gamble any time of the year.
Leave your current reservations as is, and then you will just have another reason to visit us later! :thumbsup2

Warmwinds
02-16-2007, 09:25 PM
It's nice to get different opinions ;) , thanks everyone.

tinawv
02-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Call me spoiled, but I can only stay on property now. If I had a choice between a value resort on Disney's property or a very nice resort off property, I would select the value resort every time. I think it is that magic spell they cast on you once you drive on property. ;)