PDA

View Full Version : more casual wedding dress?

luna99
02-07-2007, 10:30 AM
have any of you ever thought of (or actually wore) a more casual wedding dress instead of a huge gown?

my fiance and I are much more casual people and I'm getting married on september 1st and don't want to be outside in the heat and humidity wearing a HUGE gown that's going to weigh me down and make me feel hot! :headache:

I was looking at this great website: www.threaddesign.com

and I guess a lot of the dresses are meant as bridesmaid dresses, but if you got one in a ivory color, it could definitely look like a casual bridal gown/dress.

I was looking at this one in particular: http://threaddesign.com/collections/pages/i557_63.php in the white color. (I personally like seersucker material, I know a lot of people don't)

I think it's beautiful and could totally pass for a wedding dress! :thumbsup2

tell me what you think.. and if you have any suggestions, websites, or pictures to share with me.. please do! thanks everyone!

Maggimus
02-07-2007, 10:34 AM
My opinion is to totally do what makes YOU happiest. Seriously, if you like a more casual dress, and searsucker is your thing- go for it!! Sometimes I try to talk other people into liking my ideas, and half the time thats just me trying to convince myself that its going to be okay.

Before DH and I planned on Disney as our destination-- I figured we would end up on some beach somewhere in an exotic place... and I would wear a casual wedding dress and DH would wear a pair of Khaki's and a button down white shirt. I have always thought those type of barefoot weddings were the most adorable. Then we chose Disney and everything changed. One day we will take a family portrait in those khaki and white's on the beach somewhere-- I just know it.

I say definately go with what makes you the happiest and most comfortable-- i lovesearsucker, unfortunately it looks like CRAP on my body (but I love the material-- DH got me into it because he really likes it).-- but im sure it will look fabulous on you. Remember this is YOUR day and the best thing to do is make yourself happy. I think that dress would look great as a casual gown. :hug:

orangetiggs
02-07-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure on what the material is but the dress looks so nice, I am one of those people who want to be in the big heavy dress! I'm from the uk and its alot colder over here so i know I will bake in it but I know its what i want even though everyone has said go for a more casual dress.

I say go for what makes you happy

FormrCastMbr
02-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Thank you for the info...I am planning my at home wedding and really looking for a 2nd time around casual dress. I love the dress you picked. I may have to go with the "Lauren"...it just hit me...I wonder why??? :)

Maggimus
02-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Thank you for the info...I am planning my at home wedding and really looking for a 2nd time around casual dress. I love the dress you picked. I may have to go with the "Lauren"...it just hit me...I wonder why??? :)

That chiffon duchess dress is ADORABLE!! It reminds me of something from the 50's. I LOVE IT! If it wasnt $350 I would buy it for myself!!

FormrCastMbr
02-07-2007, 11:06 AM
That chiffon duchess dress is ADORABLE!! It reminds me of something from the 50's. I LOVE IT! If it wasnt $350 I would buy it for myself!!

Thank you. I was planning a Disney wedding for this past Dec and I got cold feet and my Mom wanted to attend and she cannot travel...I am second guessing the dress I've already purchased and this one resembles the one my Mom wore when she married my Dad...:)

Thanks again Luna!

JJClemson
02-07-2007, 11:45 AM
I think that dress is adorible! Definitely go for it :goodvibes

I originally wanted a more casual dress. I really wanted one to come to my mid-calf b/c I am very clumsy and did not want to trip on my wedding gown :laughing: I looked at a lot of bridesmaids' dresses. Most of them come in white or ivory and can very easily be a bride's "gown". Good luck :)

hiwaygal
02-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Our wedding was very casual.

I wore a simple white cotton/gauze dress. DH wore a beautiful white linen shirt and dark blue docker style pants.

DH isn't the suit type and I am not about frilly dresses :rotfl:...I didn't even have someone do my hair and make-up 'cause I knew that years later when I was looking at my pictures that just wasn't me, you know?

I definitely agree that you should do what YOU want to do...and choose a dress you like!

Moonpie
02-07-2007, 12:00 PM
I love that first dress that you posted! Very cute! And when I was looking for dresses I was seriously considering buying a white blouse and adding a floor length skirt to it. Good luck with everything!

IrishCinderella
02-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I think that dress is lovely. You should have whatever it is your little heart desires. Don't let anyone tell you differently. :)

dmslush
02-08-2007, 06:01 AM
I agree, wear what you will be most comfortable in. Don't let the venue dictate what you are wearing. DF and I are getting married at Sunset Pointe and I thought I would go with a casual dress because of it being outside and because of it being my second wedding. He is against that idea because it is his first (and only LOL) marriage. So, I bought a dress off of ebay that is 'sparkly' and princessy, except it is not especially poofy, nor does it have a train. So, I think we have a happy medium!

Tinkerbelle14
02-08-2007, 08:04 AM
If you are more comfortable in a casual dress, then I say go for it! My dress was pretty casual, no detailing, no big skirt, just a small train and I couldn't be happier! I was hot in that dress, so I couldn't imagine a big formal one!