PDA

View Full Version : Official DIS-Bride & Groom/'Mooners Meet & Greet- ONLY 4 MONTHS-Get in on the FUN!

Pages : [1] 2

Maggimus
01-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the Official DIS-Bride & Groom /Disney Mooners Meet & Greet Thread...:grouphug:

Let's share all of our idea's for a Meet & Greet....
-Time: October 5-8 (Friday- Monday or anytime in between that you can make it)
-Plans: Women- Shopping, Men- Golfing and activities together
-etc....
Everyone's welcome to attend!! The more the merrier (All credit be given to Karen's thread (SRUAlmn) & Heather's great idea (Heatherlynn444).

DIS'ers joining in on the meet: (If your name isnt in bold we need to hear from you- the more the merrier! Get your name added to the list. Let us know you are interested in coming!)

BOLD- means you have confirmed you are going
If your name is listed below and isn't in bold-- you have showed interest in this meet but haven't confirmed!

afinter1
beckyb29 + DH, Friday - Sunday, 1 room
Belle83007 +DH- will know after wedding in August
ChocolateMouse
CinderellaFan + DH. Friday - Sunday, 1 room
dannirose
DisneyBridetoBe08
DisneyFairy19 + DF
DVCGirl49
ellej
ExCPKate
Gradar1
happylalagirl + DH +2, Friday-Monday, 1 room
hulagirl87
jasnal
JJClemson + DF, Friday-Sunday, 1 room
little tinkerbell
Maggimus + DH, Friday-Sunday, 1 room
Malibelle
myprincessgirllisa
PrincessDisneyBelle
Rasberry Bubbles
seaprincess + DH
shaylih + DF, Friday-Sunday, 1 room
SRUAlmn + DF, Friday-Monday, no room
StephSFL
sunsh1ne
tiggerific04
TinkBride
TinkerBabe1010

Men going to play golf: (we would like as many to join as possible!!)
Beckyb29's DH
CinderellaFan's DH
Happylalagirl's DH
JJClemson's DF
Maggimus' DH
seaprincess' DH
SRUAlmn's DF
shaylih's DF

All the men who dont play golf can get together too-- or even join us it doesnt matter.

heatherlynn444
01-31-2007, 11:08 AM
but I'm not a disney bride :sad1: what about disney mooners?

Maggimus
01-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Absolutely-- I meant brides here on the DisBoard (which absolutely includes you!)-- but I think it didn't come across that way so I changed it. YAY... now for planning. Any ideas?

heatherlynn444
01-31-2007, 11:13 AM
not yet but I'm brainstorming! trying to think if I have any connections anywhere!

Maggimus
01-31-2007, 11:20 AM
I wish I had added a poll on my first thread.... we could have used it to make easy decisions. Although I think once the first thread has been posted its too late to add a poll.

First major decision....

A girls only meet?
Or do we bring the men along?

Decisions, Decisions.... (love to hear from everyone!)

princessdisneybelle
01-31-2007, 11:22 AM
I think it would be great to meet everyone's DH's too.

Maggimus
01-31-2007, 11:25 AM
My Pro's for bringing DH along...
1) I hate leaving DH at home alone
2) I dont know if DH would like me travelling far without him
3) It could be like a mini vacation for all

My Con's for bringing DH along...
1) Men arent interested in things like this
I'm sure there are more...

heatherlynn444
01-31-2007, 11:36 AM
i posted this on the other thread but I know my DH would think it was a "girly disney thing" and wouldnt be interested in the slightest. just not his thing!

myprincessgirlisa
01-31-2007, 11:53 AM
This sounds really neat

include me!!!:bride:

dannirose
01-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Count me in & depending on where it is would depend on whether Charles would want to come too (sometimes he's just happy to have to apt to himself lol)

Maggimus
01-31-2007, 12:08 PM
I do not want to be a head decision maker in any way. I started this thread just so that we can all make decisions-- so someone feel free to finalize a decision at any time. I do think it is a good idea for everyone to post their individual feelings on everything.

On Karen's thread I mentioned my state as a possible location (not because it's close-- i dont mind to travel at all-- but I do live in a decent location).

I live in the Smoky Mountains of TN... which is somewhat centralized for those in the surrounding states. It is also a fun spot in tn, very romantic. Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge has a lot to offer... not only the mountains, but Dollywood, shopping, etc.

This is ONLY an idea to drop out there. Please let's not let this be the only one...

I would love use this as a mini-vacation time as well-- so going out of state or area is not a problem for me at all.

jasnal
01-31-2007, 12:08 PM
count me in too!!! This sounds like fun!!!

jasnal
01-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Count me in!!! This sounds like fun!!! (I dont know if my DF would be able to come b/c he is still in vet school)

heatherlynn444
01-31-2007, 12:24 PM
theres lots of good places. smoky mountains, memphis, atlanta, new orleans, or heck we could go to the beach like destin or somewhere (just throwing out suggestions!)

beckyb29
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Yay!! A Dis meet!! :) Count me in! Anywhere is fine with me (yeah, I know, I'm really helpful!). Great idea, everybody!

TinkBride
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Depending on dates and location I am totally in!

I like the idea of the southern states, and Maggs you know I am totally with you for the GB idea! I love going there for vacays to relax! I alternate Disney and GB! :rotfl: ( No I am not a loser, i do go elsewhere. :thumbsup2 )

A three or four day cruise could be fun and they are pretty decent price wise.

Just a suggestion!

TinkerBabe1010
01-31-2007, 12:39 PM
OMG! What a wonderful idea!!! I want to go! I want to go! :goodvibes

Well, here's a crazy idea... but what if we organized a trip to DISNEY WORLD?!?! It's def. not the cheapest plan, but it would def. be a vacation, and if we organized it enough in advance we could plan cool stuff like grand gatherings, etc. We could all try and stay at one hotel (we could do a value so it would be the most affordable), and we could do DDP, or DDE, or whatever. If we included DH/DFs we could do girl things and boy things (like different outings)-- it might be really cool. That way we could have girl time and the boys could have guy time and talk about how crazy their DF and DWs are! Or, if we decided to just make it a girls thing we could have roommates so it would be cheaper. And we could go off season to get the best values. :idea:

I'm also fine with it being anywhere else, but just thought disney would be a cool idea, because hey, that is what brought us all together and how cool would it be to be walking through the parks with a BUNCH of disney brides/honeymooners!!! :cheer2:

I mean, we could plan this way in advance-- like a year or more so that we could really plan it out and look for the best values (and save up money for the trip!). :thumbsup2

What do you guys think??? :grouphug:

myprincessgirlisa
01-31-2007, 12:49 PM
We could even do a cruiseship or disney does host conventions, we could get a ballroom together

endless possibilities

i think off season would be best to avoid to much $$ and people

just a thought
:cool2:

jasnal
01-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey any excuse to go back to WDW sounds great to me!!! I really dont mind where we go. I think it will be really fun to meet everybody!!

jasnal
01-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Maybe if we talk to the right people we could be considered a group and get a group discount at WDW???

heatherlynn444
01-31-2007, 12:54 PM
ooohh a disney cruise would be awesome!

sunsh1ne
01-31-2007, 01:09 PM
this sounds great! i would love to meet everyone

i live in florida but, if i have enough notice i could go somewhere?
just le me know
i will keep posted

sunsh1ne
01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
me and df work for disney i can get 3 rooms at 50 percent off so if you wanted to come here i could help and also get 20 off all tickets??
just a thought

JJClemson
01-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Oh definitely count me in! Our computers have been down at work all day, and I cannot believe all that I have missed :rotfl:

I am so excited about this :goodvibes I think Maggie's suggestion of the Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge area sounds great! I love that area, and there's great shopping. I live in Atlanta, so anywhere in the Southeast is convenient for me.

I don't think DF would be up for this though. He is a med student and constantly stressed, and he always makes fun of me and "that Disney board she's always on" :mad: It's all good though!

JJClemson
01-31-2007, 01:49 PM
I just had another idea... as some of you know, I'm a Public Health grad student so I'm always thinking healthy things. I know a lot of us are trying to lose weight. How about we meet for a race somehwere? A 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon whatever. Think of what a great accomplishment it would be! Races are A LOT of fun, especially when you have friends helping you along the way :goodvibes Even if you're not trying to lose weight, it would be so much fun. Or, we could meet for a walk, like one of the breast cancer walks or something.

Ok, I know a lot of you are probably thinking I'm crazy :rotfl: and that's fine. It was just a suggestion. I'll get off my health pedastal now ;)

Maggimus
01-31-2007, 01:50 PM
As for a trip to WDW...

I know thats really expensive.... but I couldnt imagine going back without DH. He is totally not willing to go back this year (we have been so many years in a row)... so if it was this year I dont think I could talk him into it.

JJClemson
01-31-2007, 01:54 PM
As for a trip to WDW...

I know thats really expensive.... but I couldnt imagine going back without DH. He is totally not willing to go back this year (we have been so many years in a row)... so if it was this year I dont think I could talk him into it.

ITA.. it's a little pricey. I think we should plan something a little more affordable :)

shaylih
01-31-2007, 02:21 PM
I know I'm new to the boards and all, but I'd love to come too. Especially since I'm moving to the South and know NO ONE down there.

Summer-Caitlin
01-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Awww, I would have loved to come but I live in the UK and there is no way I can afford to go back to the US next year, not with Law school and such :sad1: I will be there in spirit though and would love to read the TR and see loads and loads of pics

myprincessgirlisa
01-31-2007, 02:27 PM
What about vegas or atlantic city??

Or what about crater of diamonds national park....we could all dig for your next stone for our anniversary ring:lmao:

lots of good ideas....i like the run,,,,but a walk might be better

keep em coming
:rotfl:

Summer-Caitlin
01-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh now Vegas, well I would love to go back there, wonder if my DF and I could swing that......

Gradar1
01-31-2007, 02:39 PM
I'd love to go--but it'll be a while before DF and I get married (we're both still students and I don't graduate for a year)--so I'm probably not 'eligible' ;) to go, but y'all's ideas sound great--and I've got one, too. :) Disney does have resorts at Vero Beach and Hilton Head, both of which are great places to vacation (although I'm partial to Hilton Head, as that's where DF is from).

Maggimus
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Gradar you are absolutely eligible...... Im adding you to the list :hug:

heatherlynn444
01-31-2007, 03:07 PM
this is so hard b/c there are so many choices! how much do disney cruises run? or heck, just s regular cruise? (i have never been so i have no idea)

i wish there was some big event coming up like a concert or something fun or some kind of festival we could all meet up for. anyone know of anything?

Cinderella Fan
01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Count me in! Sounds like a great idea....:thumbsup2

afinter1
01-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Maggimus -- You come up with the coolest ideas!! :woohoo:

I'd totally love to get together with you guys. Count me in!

I don't think DF (who will be DH in only 9 days!!!) would be up for it at all. :rolleyes1 But that doesn't mean we can't have a grand ol' time with the girls getting together, right?

I think it would be soooo much fun to go on a cruise with you girls! What does everyone think of that idea? Come on, it couldn't get any better than a girl power DIS bride/dismooner cruise! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I get very excited about trips. :rotfl:

heatherlynn444
01-31-2007, 03:34 PM
I get very excited about trips. :rotfl:

haha me too! i planned our honeymoon for a full year!

afinter1
01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
haha me too! i planned our honeymoon for a full year!

That's great! I think planning trips gives me something to look forward to!

After our trip to WDW next week, I've got nothing left. :sad2: That's why we need to rally up the girls and book a Disney cruise! :thumbsup2

Alright, so any cruise would do. I just think a cruise with a bunch of girls would be a blast! :banana:

Gradar1
01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Aww thank you Maggie! ;) I took a Carnival Cruise a while back and for the inside staterooms, it was around $450-500 for a five day cruise to the Cayman Islands and Cozumel. We had a lot of fun! ;) I think Disney cruises start a bit higher than that.

jasnal
01-31-2007, 04:35 PM
I think a cruise would be alot of fun and alot of off season cruises arent too expensive either!!

Raspberry Bubbles
01-31-2007, 04:54 PM
*sigh* Being in England isn't much fun when you can all get together and have fun!!!:sad2:

jasnal
01-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Raspberry Bubbles I think it would be really fun to come visit you in ENGLAND!!! if it weren't for the $$$ issue!!!

Summer-Caitlin
01-31-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm with you Rasberry Bubbles, we may have to have a UK meet also, although I really loved the sound of Vegas *sigh*

ForKeeps
01-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Oh Oh...me too...me too!!!

Did I hear Vegas? That's super easy to fly to from Buffalo....

If I can get there...I'll be there!

SRUAlmn
01-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Yeah :cheer2: I'm here!!

This is going to be very hard for me since I teach and we don't get to have many days off during off season times most places. I have a week for Spring Break in April and that's about it until the summer. Count us in, though. I'm not sure if DF would be soooo into the whole girly meet thing, but he's totally up for meeting new people and taking a vacation! We've just got to watch the $$ since the wedding is coming up soon.

How are we ever going to make a decision???

Charleston, SC is beautiful :thumbsup2

heatherlynn444
01-31-2007, 08:42 PM
maybe we should just do a quick weekend type trip so people wont have to miss a lot or work? maybe at this meet we can plan a bigger/better/longer meet!

Maggimus
01-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Charleston IS beautiful Karen!! I love that idea!!

JJClemson
01-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Charleston IS beautiful Karen!! I love that idea!!

I like that idea too :goodvibes Charleston is beautiful! There are so many yummy places to eat!

SRUAlmn
01-31-2007, 09:26 PM
There are so many yummy places to eat!

I know! That's my problem!! :rotfl:

Sparkles9306
01-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Depending on the when and where, I'd love to go!

JJClemson
01-31-2007, 09:39 PM
I know! That's my problem!! :rotfl:

:rotfl:

ChocolateMouse
02-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Last minute pricing for cruises are very cheap, especially if you aren't picky about the cruise line. Last minute can sort of work for a meet. You pick a date as usual, meet as scheduled and then see what kind of last minute prices come up (and have faith there'll be last minute deals available - they always exist). Disney cruises appear to be a lot more expensive than regular cruise lines.

I've never been on a cruise, but I'm planning to hop aboard one in Florida somewhere after my DFTW and a short Disneymoon. What I wrote above is the research I've done on them so far. I've seen 7-day cruise prices drop from $899 to $300 during last minute sales.

Las Vegas is very convenient for travel. There are always airfare deals and hotels are even cheaper. If you're used to Disney-priced hotels, you can live in nicer Vegas rooms than the All-Stars resorts for less money, complete with marble bathrooms, his/her sinks and soaker tubs. Everyone will have fun, but it's a fast-paced fun. All the DHs will have lots to do.

Raspberry Bubbles
02-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Raspberry Bubbles I think it would be really fun to come visit you in ENGLAND!!! if it weren't for the $$$ issue!!!

Aww - thank you! If only I were rich, I'd come over and see you all!

Summer-Caitlin, yes, we'll have to have our own England meet, ha ha, although Vegas did sound fun - oh well...... At least I get to come over for my planning so mabe some people will be around then! :)

Malibelle
02-01-2007, 07:36 AM
A meet sounds like fun. Are we talking just the girls or with our significant others too? I don't know if my DF would go because he thinks there is something wrong with me talking on these forums. If he did go he would probably golf the whole time.

If we do a meet in Disney, October is a good time because its value season and its the food and wine festival.

Maggimus
02-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Malibelle-- your sig other can golf with my DH!! My DH LOVES Golf-- bought me brand new clubs and shoes last year... lol I think i tried them out once. Now they just sit in the trunk of my car...

I really like the idea of Charleston, but if I came I would bring DH.... I cant leave him at home-- and though he thinks these boards are a little hoaky (BTW- Why do nearly ALL the mean think that??).... he doesnt mind meeting fresh faces and hes pretty easy about striking up conversation with strangers. Hes a people person.

TinkBride
02-01-2007, 10:01 AM
i have always wanted to visit charleston.......but DF would have to come along for that.....we planned on going there together someday. :goodvibes

JJClemson
02-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Malibelle-- your sig other can golf with my DH!! My DH LOVES Golf-- bought me brand new clubs and shoes last year... lol I think i tried them out once. Now they just sit in the trunk of my car...

My DF loves to golf too (though he is not very good :sad2: ), so if we brought the men, they could do that! Or, it could be optional to bring your DF/ DH...

What time of the year are we thinking of getting together? :confused3

Maggimus
02-01-2007, 01:02 PM
I agree with it being optional-- that way it doesnt limit one person in any way... and if the men come-- I say the guys can go golf or do something macho. Shane (DH) goes golfing by himself sometimes so he's used to partnering up with people he doesnt know (I think its part of the golf sport-- like an unspoken courtesy or something).

As for time of year... hmm. Maybe a weekend over the summer? That way the teachers (karen) can come.... or over a break or something. Hmm.. :confused3 What does everyone else think would be a good time?

beckyb29
02-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Joe loves to golf, also...and wouldn't mind meeting some new people to hang out with.

I personally am in favor of a weekend-type trip. I would love to do something longer, like a cruise, but being in school would make taking that much time out pretty much impossible, depending on the season. Maybe we could do a short trip sometime soon, and plan a longer one for later (which gives more time to save up and make plans?) Just a thought....I just want to meet everybody!

Gradar1
02-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Charleston sounds really nice---I've been there several times (my family owns a beach cottage a few hours north of there--and I love it! ;) The only negative with summer is the heat. But it's not too bad at the beginning/end of the summer.

Malibelle
02-01-2007, 02:29 PM
I have another suggestion. Since we are located all over the country and some of us are on a tight budget because of our weddings how about we meet regionally and then plan on a big DIS meet where everyone can get together from all regions down the road.

If there is a meet in Charleston sounds like the DH and DF's who golf will be set. If I say to my DF he can golf the whole time I would probably be allowed to go!

Maggimus
02-01-2007, 02:42 PM
I think regionally sounds like a good idea-- and then once we do that we can organize another meet for later on.

I also think those in the UK could schedule a meet.

What is the deal with men and golf?
"Honey, you want to go on a weekend vacation and meet some new people"
"NO WAY!"
"You can golf while you are there"
"Im in!"

little tinkerbell
02-01-2007, 04:09 PM
I want in, I want in, please, the only thing is I live all the way in the carribean, but don't you guys wanna come over here????? From miami it is just a 3 hour flight:rolleyes: There's lots to do here very good food, the most beautifull beaches you have ever seen and also golf courses for the guys:goodvibes Well I would love to go on a disney cruise so, man I would love to meet all you guys it sounds like so much fun!!!!!:wave2:

Maggimus
02-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Charleston was an idea that seemed like it was well liked by a lot of people..

If we do go to Charleston what are things we could do there....

Cinderella Fan
02-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Charleston was an idea that seemed like it was well liked by a lot of people..

If we do go to Charleston what are things we could do there....

What do girls like to do when they get together? SHOPPING!!!:rotfl:

I agree with Charleston - sounds like a great place to get together. Friendly and full of fun. Just like all of us...;)

Besides, the men will like that they have AMAZING golf courses. For some more info about the City, http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/index.html

Maggimus
02-01-2007, 06:41 PM
What do girls like to do when they get together? SHOPPING!!!:rotfl:

I agree with Charleston - sounds like a great place to get together. Friendly and full of fun. Just like all of us...;)

Besides, the men will like that they have AMAZING golf courses. For some more info about the City, http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/index.html

Is B.G. a Golfer too?

Atleast most of the guys have that in common..

SRUAlmn
02-01-2007, 07:43 PM
WOW! I miss a LOT when I can't DIS during school :(

I can't believe Charleston is a hit!!! :cheer2: My DF works at two of the golf courses on Kiawah Island, but they are private. However, he does have a lot of connections at many of the other local courses.

I can help with the 'what is there to do' thing if I know what types of entertainment we're looking for.

Like Jen said, there are FABULOUS restaurants (I still love WDW, though ;) ) and there are a lot of historical places and plantations. Then you have your usual shopping type things. Let me know what we decide to do and I can try to help with a lot of it.

However, then I will have pressure for my wedding AND our DIS meet to go perfectly. Uh oh, perfectionist overload!!!!!!!!

DisneyBridetoBe08
02-01-2007, 08:21 PM
I would love to meet everyone. I just found the boards, but I'm addicted. I read them everyday, can't wait until I can call and reserve my dates for Dec 08 wedding, until then I love reading everyone's stories. I'm a Florida gal so it's easy for me to get to Disney. I'm an annual passholder and go several times a year sometimes just for a day. I'm going next month for a whole week. I've never been able to stay longer than 4 days so the 9 I'm getting is a special treat! My second favorite place to go is Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, we travel up there once a year usually in Oct/Nov.

Michelle

ExCPKate
02-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi ladies!

I swear, I'm gone all day, and here is a whole 5 pages! It's so hard for me to keep up on everything.

Okay, here is what I am thinking. I would love to come, but I think a small scale meet would be better initially. DF and I are going to be in school for a few more years with grad school and everything. Basically, we aren't going to have a ton of extra $$ to go on any big vacations. I am all for a weekend getaway, somewhere in the middle/ southeast of the country.

It doesn't matter to me whether or not the DF/DHs come along. Although, if DF doesn't come with, I'll probably have to fly because I can't see driving 10-15 hours by myself.

Charleston sounds really nice. This is going to sound kind of lame, but has anyone ever read the book "Scarlett" which is the (much later) follow-up to "Gone with the Wind"? Well, ever since reading that, I've wanted to visit the South, including Charleston. Does anyone know how far Charleston is from Oklahoma?

Sorry for the rambles, and now I just realized it's time to go watch Grey's Anatomy:happytv:

COUNT ME IN!!:cheer2:

Maggimus
02-01-2007, 10:33 PM
So tonight I approached DH with the idea of going to Charleston to meet everyone-- and that the guys could go golfing..

He was more excited than I was (don't get too excited-- saying golf in a sentence of any type gets DH really excited). I think he's sold!!

Idea:idea: -- Just an idea
I think it would be great to do like a friday night, all day saturday, sunday morning thing. Friday night for those who can make it-- go ahead and get aquainted... maybe just eat and crash. Saturday ... the big meet-- girls going out collectively, guys golfing (those who dont golf doing other guy stuff), that night we all get together to do something fun or something... and then sunday is like a farewell breakfast or something.

DisneyBridetoBe08-- Im glad you like Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge-- that's definately my area!! next time your this way let me know :)

princessdisneybelle
02-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Sounds fun Maggie. Any idea when?

heatherlynn444
02-01-2007, 10:40 PM
wow you miss a lot when you are in class for 5 hours! I definately wouldnt be able to do more than a weekend thing...and we could all bring our wedding/honeymoon pictures and stuff. how fun would it be to have like a little "party" one night we are there and get all dressed up and have fun!

TinkerBabe1010
02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I LOVE Charleston-- for those of you haven't been there before you will love it. I'm a Georgia girl myself (althought I live in Pittsburgh now-- I miss the south like woah!!!) so I went to SC a lot growing up, and I have family in Charleston.

I would like to make one suggestion-- not to do it until the fall. I was there last summer in August for a wedding, and OMG the heat was so unbelievably oppressive-- worst than Disney in the summer. The humidity is unbelievable because you're right by the ocean, plus if you're downtown (which is the best part for shopping and food and what not) there is NO breeze, so you just walk around and sweat and sweat. The heat index when I was there was about 112-- pretty unpleasant.

I'll still go in the summer but everyone has to bring lots of deoderant!!! :rotfl:

The beaches are SO nice there in Sept/Oct/Nov too. pixiedust:

Anyway, that's just my thought. The food is sooo yummy. That's going to be only a few months before my wedding-- someone is going to have to make sure Ii don't eat too much so I'll still fit into my wedding dress!!!!! :rotfl2:

Belle83007
02-01-2007, 11:26 PM
:) hey girls count me in depending on time and location!! I think charleston is a great idea:thumbsup2 i have to run it by DF! I am from jersey but that shouldnt take that long of a drive!:goodvibes

sunsh1ne
02-02-2007, 07:05 AM
i think this is a great idea i would love to see charlston!!
and a weekend is great
the fall sounds good but i am getting married oct 21st
but that is just me

hulagirl87
02-02-2007, 07:23 AM
wow - this sounds fun! Charleston sounds like a blast. Since I'm using up 2 weeks of vacation time for my wedding/honeymoon in a couple months I don't get any more vacation time from work until October... summer for me for a meet and greet would be out, but if you guys are thinking about something for the fall, I would definitely consider that!

JJClemson
02-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Wow, my power was out basically all day yesterday, and I cannot believe all I have missed :rotfl:

I am SO excited about Charleston! It's beautiful and there is a TON to do! Golf for the boys... shopping, beaches, history, FOOD for us! The dowtown area is just lovely! I am sooooo excited :cheer2:

Ok, since Karen is the only one who lives there and would probably be helping us out a lot (sorry Karen for nominating you, I'd definitely be able to help too!), how about we plan it for after her wedding? Her wedding is in July, so maybe late summer or Fall? How does that sound to everyone? Just trying to make it easier on you Karen ;)

If anyone is flying in, and cannot afford to fly to Charleston... you can fly to Atlanta and you can drive with me :)

Maggimus
02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
JJClemson- Thats such a great suggestion (well-- all your ideas are good, i.e. riding with you, having it after Karen's wedding, etc).

Okay, lets say we chose Mid-Late August, September, or October--- who's weddings would we be interfering with?

Im getting excited :woohoo:

Summer-Caitlin
02-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Awww, if I could have stayed any more than 3 weeks I could have made the trip up to SC, but unfortunately I can't:sad1: Never mind, I want loads of pics and many, many trip reports!

JJClemson
02-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Awww, if I could have stayed any more than 3 weeks I could have made the trip up to SC, but unfortunately I can't:sad1: Never mind, I want loads of pics and many, many trip reports!

S-C, you all should have a DIS bride meet in the UK! Then maybe we can all get together down the road :)

JJClemson
02-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Okay, lets say we chose Mid-Late August, September, or October--- who's weddings would we be interfering with?

Im getting excited :woohoo:

I think we should avoid holiday weekends (Labor Day) b/c of higher hotel rates, airfare, etc. What do you all think? Or would it be easier for everyone to travel over a holiday weekend :confused3

dannirose
02-02-2007, 12:01 PM
I think we should avoid holiday weekends (Labor Day) b/c of higher hotel rates, airfare, etc. What do you all think? Or would it be easier for everyone to travel over a holiday weekend :confused3

I would prefer not a holiday weekend but let's see what the majority votes. :goodvibes

DisneyFairy19
02-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Count me in... This sounds like fun.:dance3:

Maddiesmum03
02-02-2007, 12:49 PM

count me in for a UK meet - perhaps we should start a new thread?

ForKeeps
02-02-2007, 02:09 PM
HI all!

I's be all in to go to SC too, and Jen...that's a great idea (and generous offer to fly in and drive with you). If it's late summer/early fall I won't be able to commit because I start articling in August, so I won't know my availability until like the last minute....

:sad2:

heatherlynn444
02-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I agree with later, b/c I absolutely hate hot weather, even though I am very very used to it and high humidity in new orleans, it sucks to shoo/walk/golf anything in miserable weather!

Cinderella Fan
02-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Is B.G. a Golfer too?

Atleast most of the guys have that in common..

Absolutely, he loves to golf. Though, he hasn't had the chance since his dad got really sick last year.... He would love to spend a day "goofing" around...

Then again - he is a shopper and loves to look at historical places. He might want to hang with the girls....:lmao:

Maggimus
02-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Absolutely, he loves to golf. Though, he hasn't had the chance since his dad got really sick last year.... He would love to spend a day "goofing" around...

Then again - he is a shopper and loves to look at historical places. He might want to hang with the girls....:lmao:

Atleast he wont be bummed about coming:woohoo: :banana: !!

Cinderella Fan
02-02-2007, 04:18 PM
You're right Maggie....:rotfl2: You know, we aren't a couple hours from each other, BG and I were thinking of doing a Pigeon Forge trip for some shopping.

I, for one, am voting for September or October - after Labor Day. BG and I are both teachers, and it would be really hard to miss at the end of the school year, or at the very beginning.

Maggimus
02-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Come on over to Pigeon Forge-- theres good golf this way too!! If you do come let me know-- we can get together.

SRUAlmn
02-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I LOVE Charleston-- for those of you haven't been there before you will love it. I'm a Georgia girl myself (althought I live in Pittsburgh now-- I miss the south like woah!!!) so I went to SC a lot growing up, and I have family in Charleston.

I would like to make one suggestion-- not to do it until the fall. I was there last summer in August for a wedding, and OMG the heat was so unbelievably oppressive-- worst than Disney in the summer. The humidity is unbelievable because you're right by the ocean, plus if you're downtown (which is the best part for shopping and food and what not) there is NO breeze, so you just walk around and sweat and sweat. The heat index when I was there was about 112-- pretty unpleasant.

I'll still go in the summer but everyone has to bring lots of deoderant!!! :rotfl:

The beaches are SO nice there in Sept/Oct/Nov too. pixiedust:

Anyway, that's just my thought. The food is sooo yummy. That's going to be only a few months before my wedding-- someone is going to have to make sure Ii don't eat too much so I'll still fit into my wedding dress!!!!! :rotfl2:

How funny! I used to live in Pittsburgh and now I live in Charleston.

I agree that we should maybe make it for the Fall. The weather is soooo nice and you're right about downtown in the summer! The air is STAGNANT! It's good to hear that it's hotter here than it is in WDW in the summer, because I can stand this heat, so I should be fine in WDW in July for the wedding :cheer2:

Also, Jen made a good point. It's actually fairly expensive to fly into Charleston because we don't have a discount airline. Hopefully by Fall we will, but that may change some people's minds about choosing Charleston. Just wanted you to have all your info. :)

SRUAlmn
02-02-2007, 06:22 PM
September 2007

Moonlight Mixers “Shaggin’ on the Pier”
09/07/2007
Enjoy the ocean breeze as you dance under the stars on the Folly Beach Fishing Pier.

Scottish Games & Highland Gathering
09/15/2007

ChazzFest
09/22/2007
Showcasing a broad spectrum of acts, while exploring the rich musical history of Charleston and the Carolinas.

31st Annual Fall Tours of Homes & Gardens
09/27/2007 - 10/28/2007
The Tours feature the interiors of architecturally significant privately owned homes, beautiful gardens, churches and public buildings of historic Charleston.

Mount Pleasant Farmers Market
04/10/2007 - 10/16/2007
Offering vegetables, fruits, seafood, flowers, plants, baked goods, canned goods, fresh cooked meals and snacks.

September Sports in Charleston
09/01/2007 - 09/30/2007

October 2007

09/27/2007 - 10/28/2007
The Tours feature the interiors of architecturally significant privately owned homes, beautiful gardens, churches and public buildings of historic Charleston.

16th Annual Festival Hispano
10/07/2007
Come feel the heat at North Charleston Wannamaker County Park as we celebrate the sights and sounds of the Hispanic world!

Moncks Corner Professional Rodeo at Berkeley County Fairgrounds
10/12/2007 - 10/13/2007
This year’s Dick Smith Chevrolet, Moncks Corner Pro Rodeo was a superb rodeo. It was a dry rodeo for the 1st time in 5 years! A standing room only crowd both nights enjoyed some of the top cowboy's in the nation.

Salsa Under the Stars
10/12/2007
Dance the night away as DJ Luigi spins the hottest salsa and Latin music around.

04/10/2007 - 10/16/2007
Offering vegetables, fruits, seafood, flowers, plants, baked goods, canned goods, fresh cooked meals and snacks.

October Sports in Charleston
10/01/2007 - 10/31/2007

November 2007

Harvest Festival
11/03/2007
Come out to Mullet Hall Equestrian Center within Johns Island County Park for the 6th Annual Harvest Fest!

National Veterans Day Celebration
11/08/2007 - 11/11/2007

11/08/2007 - 11/11/2007
Celebrate the rich military history and heritage of Charleston.

Holiday Festival of Lights Fun Run & Walk
11/08/2007
Runners & walkers will be among the first to preview the magical holiday light displays at James Island County Park.

7th FestiVelo de Chrleston 2007
11/29/2007 - 12/03/2007

November Sports in Charleston
11/01/2007 - 11/30/2007

Holiday Festival of Lights
11/09/2007 - 01/01/2008
With over two-million gleaming lights, this three-mile magical driving tour and holiday village will certainly become a memorable holiday tradition for your friends and family.

JJClemson
02-03-2007, 08:31 AM
September 2007

Moonlight Mixers “Shaggin’ on the Pier”
09/07/2007
Enjoy the ocean breeze as you dance under the stars on the Folly Beach Fishing Pier.

Scottish Games & Highland Gathering
09/15/2007

ChazzFest
09/22/2007
Showcasing a broad spectrum of acts, while exploring the rich musical history of Charleston and the Carolinas.

09/27/2007 - 10/28/2007

04/10/2007 - 10/16/2007

September Sports in Charleston
09/01/2007 - 09/30/2007

October 2007

09/27/2007 - 10/28/2007

16th Annual Festival Hispano
10/07/2007
Come feel the heat at North Charleston Wannamaker County Park as we celebrate the sights and sounds of the Hispanic world!

Moncks Corner Professional Rodeo at Berkeley County Fairgrounds
10/12/2007 - 10/13/2007
This year’s Dick Smith Chevrolet, Moncks Corner Pro Rodeo was a superb rodeo. It was a dry rodeo for the 1st time in 5 years! A standing room only crowd both nights enjoyed some of the top cowboy's in the nation.

Salsa Under the Stars
10/12/2007
Dance the night away as DJ Luigi spins the hottest salsa and Latin music around.

04/10/2007 - 10/16/2007

October Sports in Charleston
10/01/2007 - 10/31/2007

November 2007

Harvest Festival
11/03/2007
Come out to Mullet Hall Equestrian Center within Johns Island County Park for the 6th Annual Harvest Fest!

11/08/2007 - 11/11/2007

11/08/2007 - 11/11/2007
Celebrate the rich military history and heritage of Charleston.

Holiday Festival of Lights Fun Run & Walk
11/08/2007
Runners & walkers will be among the first to preview the magical holiday light displays at James Island County Park.

7th FestiVelo de Chrleston 2007
11/29/2007 - 12/03/2007

November Sports in Charleston
11/01/2007 - 11/30/2007

Holiday Festival of Lights
11/09/2007 - 01/01/2008
With over two-million gleaming lights, this three-mile magical driving tour and holiday village will certainly become a memorable holiday tradition for your friends and family.

Wow Karen, thanks for looking all that stuff up! I like the idea of the home and gardens tour, that could be fun! Or, maybe the salsa dancing, though I could totally see myself getting hurt and DF NOT going for that at all :rotfl:

Cinderella Fan
02-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Wow Karen, thanks for looking all that stuff up! I like the idea of the home and gardens tour, that could be fun! Or, maybe the salsa dancing, though I could totally see myself getting hurt and DF NOT going for that at all :rotfl:

Jen, I agree with you on that one! I don't think you will be the only one coming out of there on crutches....:lmao:

The Homes and Gardens tour does sound really neat, as does the Harvest Festival. But then again, I just like food....:cutie:

Maggimus
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
I think the garden and homes tour sounds really neat-- I love looking at historical stuff (but im a history buff anyway).

I also think the farmers market sounds good--

The two happen to go on at the same time I think. Maybe we could catch a couple of different things.

Karen, what are your suggestions?

DH and I looked into moving to Charleston at one point. Karen, how far do you live from there?? We may consider it again in the near future-- especially because we havent made up our mind what to do here as far as moving. I may ask you for some advice. My number 1 choice in colleges (other than Georgetown), was College of Charleston (Or Rhodes in Memphis).... but I met my fiance and decided to stick with a nearby private college... only to flunk a class called Garbology (the study of garbage), which was a January Term Class (my liberal arts school has 3 terms, fall, j-term, and spring)... and as an honor student-- i really got bummed out when I flunked a stupid class about garbage (because I missed a day to go to the doctor-- no excuses in a 30 day class)... so-- that was the end of my liberal arts education. Okay, now why am I telling you this?:confused3 Im a rambler if you cant tell...:rolleyes1

JJClemson
02-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Maggie- Jeff and I were thinking of moving to Charleston too :rotfl: He really wants to love somewhere in SC, NC, or TN. I'm just so homesick though.. I have been living in SC or GA for the past 6 1/2 years and just want to move back to NJ. Jeff still has 2 more years of school here though, so you never know what will happen. Maybe we'll all end up in Charleston :)

Maggimus
02-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Jen- C'mon know-- we gotta knock some since into ya-- the south is the place to be! I love Tennessee, and will always call this my home (just as you probobly call NJ home)... but DH and I contemplated moving just for our santity (his family can be a little overwhelming). I think everything in the Charleston area seems to be pretty pricey though- so i dont know. I couldnt imagine moving away from my family so only time will tell. Tennessee is nice-- maybe come my way;) if nothing but a vacation.

JJClemson
02-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Jen- C'mon know-- we gotta knock some since into ya-- the south is the place to be! I love Tennessee, and will always call this my home (just as you probobly call NJ home)... but DH and I contemplated moving just for our santity (his family can be a little overwhelming). I think everything in the Charleston area seems to be pretty pricey though- so i dont know. I couldnt imagine moving away from my family so only time will tell. Tennessee is nice-- maybe come my way;) if nothing but a vacation.

See I love the South too, but DF's fam is in SC and they drive me nuts! We had actually always planned on living in the South, but last year things just got so bad and they were meddling in our lives so much, that I decided I NEED to move back home for my sanity :sad2: Jeff's grandparents live in Spring City, TN is Rhea County. Is that near you at all? It's like an hour west of Knoxville. We visit them every couple of months, so maybe we could meet up :goodvibes

Maggimus
02-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Rhea County is about an hour and a half away. I live just between Knoxville and Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. We should definately meet up sometime--- and trust me, I completely understand about the keeping your santity due to meddling in-laws.

SRUAlmn
02-03-2007, 03:58 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!! You should both move here :cheer2: :cheer2: We are in Mount Pleasant which is right across the bridge from downtown Charleston. We are a little further north near the Isle of Palms beach, so it takes us about 10-15 minutes to get downtown. It really is a great area.

It's going to be so hard for me to be the 'events coordinator' for this thing when I've only lived here for a year and a half, but I'll do the best I can. The homes and gardens tour is something I've always wanted to do and looks pretty cool as are carriage tours. I can tell you now that DF and I have gone to the farmers market and it's kind of lame. I grew up near Amish country and they have some kick a** farmers markets, so maybe it's just because I'm comparing it to them, but the one on that events list is fairly small.

Our FAVORITE thing to do in the fall is the Taste of Charleston (usually held in October.) It's a HUGE food and wine festival on one of the plantations (the one that Gone With the Wind was themed after.) You don't pay admission, but you buy tickets when you go in and then each vendor sells sample sizes of their food for a certain number of tickets. There are also little games and stuff, like a wine glasses on a serving tray race between some of the top local servers. It's really fun! If anyone is interested, I can go check and see what the dates will be this year.

We also really enjoy the Holiday Festival of Lights which is in November & December. It's a driving tour through a state park in which they have millions of lights and lighted scenery. There is a Santa's workshop for you to stop at which has a bunch of Christmas craft stores, Santa himself, local crafts done by our public schools, train & boat rides, giant sand sculptures, and a bunch of GIANT fire pits where you can buy smores kits and make smores.

jasnal
02-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Wow all that sounds like so much fun!! I love christmas!!!

SRUAlmn
02-03-2007, 04:15 PM
There is a charge to get into the Food and Wine Festival. I forgot that we always go early and get our tickets at Applebees to save $2. It might not work for us because it's on a Sunday (which happens to be the day before my birthday!!!!!) Here is the information for this year:

11:00 am thru 5:00 pm
Boone Hall Plantation, Mt. Pleasant, SC
Advance Tickets $8.00 (Available at Charleston area Applebee’s Restaurants)
Tickets at Gate are $10.00, Children 10/under are free.
(843) 577-4030

The Greater Charleston Restaurant Association proudly announces the 26th Annual "Taste of Charleston" will be held on Sunday, October 8, 2007, 10:30am-5:00pm at Boone Hall Plantation in Mt. Pleasant, SC. The grounds at beautiful Boone Hall Plantation will be transformed into a sea of culinary delights featuring 50 of Charleston and the Lowcountry's finest restaurants. As in years past proceeds from the "Taste" will benefit Ronald McDonald House, Hollings Cancer Center and Charleston County Science Materials Resource Center. The Taste of Charleston is supported by the Town of Mt. Pleasant.

In addition to the wonderful culinary delights the 26th "Taste" will feature the famous "Waiters Wine Race" sponsored by Electronic Merchant Systems, beer and wine tasting, our special Children's Corner and Cooking Demonstrations by some of Charleston's finest chefs including Enzo Steffenelli from Sea Island Grill at Wild Dunes, Craig Diehl from Cypress and others. The main stage will come alive with the East Coast Party Band.

"The "Taste" allows Association Members on behalf of the restaurant industry to give back to the community through our many charities and worthwhile causes," says David Miller, 2007 GCRA President and owner of the Kickin' Chicken. To date the Greater Charleston Restaurant Association has donated more than $1,000,000 to local charities.

Advance tickets for the 26th "Taste of Charleston" will sell for only $8.00 in advance and $10.00 at the gate, available at all Charleston area Applebee's Restaurants and through the Association Office. Food tickets will be sold in $1.00 increments at the event. Souvenir Taste" t-shirts will also be available for purchase.

Bring your family and friends and join us on Sunday, October 8 for the "Taste of Charleston" at Boone Hall Plantation. Plenty of free parking inside Boone Hall Plantation. Rain or shine. No pets or coolers, please.

Cinderella Fan
02-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Karen, that does sound really neat! :thumbsup2

JJClemson
02-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Karen, I LOVE the idea of the food and wine festival! I think that would be a lot of fun :goodvibes

Maggimus
02-05-2007, 12:02 PM
YIKES... our thread is dying:sad2: . We must keep it alive...:dance3:

sunsh1ne
02-05-2007, 12:36 PM
i love the idea of charlston but are we set on october?? just woundering

Maggimus
02-05-2007, 12:43 PM
i love the idea of charlston but are we set on october?? just woundering

Im not sure-- if everyone likes that time of year im good with it too!

I think it would be a good idea if we could get a time (dates) down and then maybe we can look into everyone booking at the same hotel (those who stay overnight)... that way it will be much easier to get together and whatnot. Unless that doesnt sound like a good plan. I have no info about anything in charleston-- so this is where i look at Karen and say "what now?:confused3 ".

Maybe we can find out soon what month we will go so we can get the planning ball rolling.. :grouphug:

SRUAlmn
02-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Im not sure-- if everyone likes that time of year im good with it too!

I think it would be a good idea if we could get a time (dates) down and then maybe we can look into everyone booking at the same hotel (those who stay overnight)... that way it will be much easier to get together and whatnot. Unless that doesnt sound like a good plan. I have no info about anything in charleston-- so this is where i look at Karen and say "what now?:confused3 ".

Maybe we can find out soon what month we will go so we can get the planning ball rolling.. :grouphug:

Well, if everyone wants to go to that food and wine festival it's on October 8th, however, that is a Sunday and if people were doing a weekend, they would be leaving on Sunday morning so it wouldn't work. I guess we can't really pick solid dates unless we know if everyone wants to go to a particular event, or just kind of do hanging out stuff.

My personal vote is a combination of the two, just because it's going to be too hard to plan for hanging out kind of things for a whole weekend.

Maggimus
02-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Yeah...

maybe a friday those of us who have already come in can go out to eat or something afterwards and then call it a night

saturday can be girls only time, along with the male festivities... and then that night we can all meet up and do something else all together

and then sunday, depending on when people need to go... we could all go eat together that morning or do whatever fills everyones time constraints...etc?

i agree with you karen about not being able to fill up the time.

JJClemson
02-05-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't think we have to plan our meet around a certain event either. We're all going to want to hang out and chat so we can do that without something formal! If we are set on Charleston, it really is very pretty and there is a lot to do anyway without going to a certain event.

Should we take a poll to see when people want to go? I'd prefer the Fall sometime only b/c it won't be as hot as the summer and maybe hotels would be cheaper? :confused3 I could be totally wrong on that though!

SRUAlmn
02-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I don't think we have to plan our meet around a certain event either. We're all going to want to hang out and chat so we can do that without something formal! If we are set on Charleston, it really is very pretty and there is a lot to do anyway without going to a certain event.

Should we take a poll to see when people want to go? I'd prefer the Fall sometime only b/c it won't be as hot as the summer and maybe hotels would be cheaper? :confused3 I could be totally wrong on that though!

The Fall is way cheaper. My family came down for Thanksgiving and got oceanfront hotel rooms for less than $100 a night.

JJClemson
02-05-2007, 01:02 PM
The Fall is way cheaper. My family came down for Thanksgiving and got oceanfront hotel rooms for less than $100 a night.

Oh wow! That IS cheap!

My vote is for sometime in the Fall :)

Maggimus
02-05-2007, 01:08 PM
it wont let me post a poll on here anymore since the initial first thread had already been posted. I do think we should get everyones opinion on the time of year though. Im good with the fall-- either September or October. I really love September weather-- warm but not too hot, cool but not too cool-- plus its good golfing weather (before all that nasty rain and the greens start getting mushy). Either one is fine with me.

Cinderella Fan
02-05-2007, 02:43 PM
I agree with the Fall. Maybe mid to late October? Is that too late?

Gradar1
02-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi ladies!

I swear, I'm gone all day, and here is a whole 5 pages! It's so hard for me to keep up on everything.

Okay, here is what I am thinking. I would love to come, but I think a small scale meet would be better initially. DF and I are going to be in school for a few more years with grad school and everything. Basically, we aren't going to have a ton of extra $$ to go on any big vacations. I am all for a weekend getaway, somewhere in the middle/ southeast of the country.

It doesn't matter to me whether or not the DF/DHs come along. Although, if DF doesn't come with, I'll probably have to fly because I can't see driving 10-15 hours by myself.

Charleston sounds really nice. This is going to sound kind of lame, but has anyone ever read the book "Scarlett" which is the (much later) follow-up to "Gone with the Wind"? Well, ever since reading that, I've wanted to visit the South, including Charleston. Does anyone know how far Charleston is from Oklahoma?

Sorry for the rambles, and now I just realized it's time to go watch Grey's Anatomy:happytv:

COUNT ME IN!!:cheer2:

I'm still reading through the thread, I've been away for a few days, but I've read both books--and love them. Incidentally, the way Charleston is described in the book is still true--in my opinion. The Battery is gorgeous!

Gradar1
02-05-2007, 03:07 PM
There is a charge to get into the Food and Wine Festival. I forgot that we always go early and get our tickets at Applebees to save $2. It might not work for us because it's on a Sunday (which happens to be the day before my birthday!!!!!) Here is the information for this year:

11:00 am thru 5:00 pm
Boone Hall Plantation, Mt. Pleasant, SC
Advance Tickets $8.00 (Available at Charleston area Applebee’s Restaurants)
Tickets at Gate are $10.00, Children 10/under are free.
(843) 577-4030

The Greater Charleston Restaurant Association proudly announces the 26th Annual "Taste of Charleston" will be held on Sunday, October 8, 2007, 10:30am-5:00pm at Boone Hall Plantation in Mt. Pleasant, SC. The grounds at beautiful Boone Hall Plantation will be transformed into a sea of culinary delights featuring 50 of Charleston and the Lowcountry's finest restaurants. As in years past proceeds from the "Taste" will benefit Ronald McDonald House, Hollings Cancer Center and Charleston County Science Materials Resource Center. The Taste of Charleston is supported by the Town of Mt. Pleasant.

In addition to the wonderful culinary delights the 26th "Taste" will feature the famous "Waiters Wine Race" sponsored by Electronic Merchant Systems, beer and wine tasting, our special Children's Corner and Cooking Demonstrations by some of Charleston's finest chefs including Enzo Steffenelli from Sea Island Grill at Wild Dunes, Craig Diehl from Cypress and others. The main stage will come alive with the East Coast Party Band.

"The "Taste" allows Association Members on behalf of the restaurant industry to give back to the community through our many charities and worthwhile causes," says David Miller, 2007 GCRA President and owner of the Kickin' Chicken. To date the Greater Charleston Restaurant Association has donated more than $1,000,000 to local charities.

Advance tickets for the 26th "Taste of Charleston" will sell for only $8.00 in advance and $10.00 at the gate, available at all Charleston area Applebee's Restaurants and through the Association Office. Food tickets will be sold in $1.00 increments at the event. Souvenir Taste" t-shirts will also be available for purchase.

Bring your family and friends and join us on Sunday, October 8 for the "Taste of Charleston" at Boone Hall Plantation. Plenty of free parking inside Boone Hall Plantation. Rain or shine. No pets or coolers, please.

This sounds like a lot of fun--I love Boone Hall. And Karen, do you happen to know where Pawleys Island is? It's a couple hours north of Charleston, near Georgetown. I was just curious, as that is where my family's cottage is.

Another thought: I was in Charleston last fall and visited Fort Sumter. It was October, which made it soooo much better than in the summer--way too hot!:sick:

SRUAlmn
02-05-2007, 03:43 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun--I love Boone Hall. And Karen, do you happen to know where Pawleys Island is? It's a couple hours north of Charleston, near Georgetown. I was just curious, as that is where my family's cottage is.

Another thought: I was in Charleston last fall and visited Fort Sumter. It was October, which made it soooo much better than in the summer--way too hot!:sick:

Yes, I know all too well where Pawley's Island is! My sister lives in Wilmington, NC and came down here for Thanksgiving. She headed back home at 9:00 at night, and at 10:30 we got a phone call that her car died in Pawley's Island. My mom, other sister and I had to drive up and wait with her until a AAA tow truck came (mainly because the AAA card was my mom's and secondly because she had no heat and they took 3 hours!) Then we had to drive back down here and didn't get home until 3:00am!

I agree about Fort Sumter. If you like historical stuff it's pretty cool. Plus, it's a pretty boat ride to get there!

Gradar1
02-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Ouch! I hope that if you ever go back, you have a better experience! The little town nearby, Georgetown has a really pretty harbor, and Pawleys itself is very quiet--it's practically empty in the winter, lol. :) I do like the boat ride to/from Fort Sumter--my dad loved it because you get to see the new bridge for so long (he loves bridges, etc.--things like that)

heatherlynn444
02-05-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm good for OCtober...as of right now. I'm trying to get a new job...so..its too far in advance to tell, but as for now, sounds great!:woohoo:

Tiggerific04
02-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Are any other Jersey girls going? DF would never in a million years go for something like this and I don't want to travel by myself, but I might be interested in going if I have someone to fly with.

happylalagirl
02-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Maggie - I'm in depending on time of year... since it sounds like everyone has agreed on Oct, we should be able to go, as long as the Dr. says it's ok. It will be just after the 6 week mark...

:) hey girls count me in depending on time and location!! I think charleston is a great idea:thumbsup2 i have to run it by DF! I am from jersey but that shouldnt take that long of a drive!:goodvibes

If we are able to go (baby is healthy and doc says ok), we will be driving down. Since there will be 4 of us in the car, you are welcome to join us, but it might be tight. If your DF/DH is coming, we could caravan. We are used to making long trips and we could make Charleston in one day if we left early enough. Let me know.

Tiggerific - since the date has been decided (Oct. I think), we will have a newborn. So, we will NOT be flying, but driving.

DVCGirl49
02-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Wow, how'd I miss this thread?! Such a great idea! Count me in too! :banana:

Anytime of the year works well for us, but fall would definitely be excellent as we will be heading thru that way to FL for our planning session...my DF and I would be able to make a week trip out if it. :goodvibes

happylalagirl
02-06-2007, 06:14 PM
MAGGIE!!! I just talked to my DH and he is totally game for going to Charleston for the weekend - depending on funds of course and what the doctor says. WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!:banana: :cool1: :yay: :woohoo:

SRUAlmn
02-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Wow, how'd I miss this thread?! Such a great idea! Count me in too! :banana:

Anytime of the year works well for us, but fall would definitely be excellent as we will be heading thru that way to FL for our planning session...my DF and I would be able to make a week trip out if it. :goodvibes

Do you have your PS date set yet? Maybe that would help us narrow down a weekend :)

Maggimus
02-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Wow our list is getting hefty!! This should work out great!!

Diane- I am so glad that your DH is game for it. It seems like everyday we have another guy jump on the bandwagon. Today my DH said he was actually excited about it! And we can celebrate the new baby into the world -- doc permitting ofcourse.

:wizard:

DVCGirl49
02-06-2007, 06:50 PM
No we do not have that set yet, but I'm sure that we can either do our PS before or after whatever date gets picked for the meet. Our SM and the EM have been very helpful in coordinating things with when we are able to get down there.

happylalagirl
02-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Wow our list is getting hefty!! This should work out great!!

Diane- I am so glad that your DH is game for it. It seems like everyday we have another guy jump on the bandwagon. Today my DH said he was actually excited about it! And we can celebrate the new baby into the world -- doc permitting ofcourse.

:wizard:

I was surprised at how he said yes so quickly. He was funny. I asked if he'd be game for going to Charleston in Oct. He said for what. I said to meet the girls from the boards... he just laughed at me with that knowing smile and said, Yeah. I'm game. As long as we have the money and the baby's good to travel. So, yea!!! for men who are open to our adventure seeking!!! I am so excited to finally get to meet everyone!!!!!:banana: :cool1:

SRUAlmn
02-06-2007, 07:31 PM
I was surprised at how he said yes so quickly. He was funny. I asked if he'd be game for going to Charleston in Oct. He said for what. I said to meet the girls from the boards... he just laughed at me with that knowing smile and said, Yeah. I'm game. As long as we have the money and the baby's good to travel. So, yea!!! for men who are open to our adventure seeking!!! I am so excited to finally get to meet everyone!!!!!:banana: :cool1:

Mine reacted the same way. He's always up for meeting new people, though. I laughed and told him the guys could joke around and compare stories of their crazy DIS wives and he said, ' don't you mean DW's?' SMART ALEC!!! :rotfl:

ForKeeps
02-06-2007, 07:35 PM
' don't you mean DW's?' SMART ALEC!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ladies, I'm so sad that I can't come. Drat, drat, drat. You all are going to have such a great time. And DH was all up for going too! I just won't know if I can get the weekend off until like....the last minute :sad2:

happylalagirl
02-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Mine reacted the same way. He's always up for meeting new people, though. I laughed and told him the guys could joke around and compare stories of their crazy DIS wives and he said, ' don't you mean DW's?' SMART ALEC!!! :rotfl:

Lol!!!! :lmao: Mine doesn't have a clue as to what all the abbreviations stand for and it's quite funny to see him try to figure it out!!! Andrew is all about meeting new people... he's the reason I'm so outgoing. If it weren't for him, I'd still be a wall flower with 2 friends. :rotfl: But, not anymore... can't wait to meet everyone face to face...

Selena already asked if she is coming and I said yes... she was excited too!!:cool1:

SRUAlmn
02-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Selena already asked if she is coming and I said yes... she was excited too!!:cool1:

Yeah :) She's like our Disney Bride mascot princess:

happylalagirl
02-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah :) She's like our Disney Bride mascot princess:

LOL!!! And she's happy to be.... :rotfl2:

JJClemson
02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I laughed and told him the guys could joke around and compare stories of their crazy DIS wives and he said, ' don't you mean DW's?' SMART ALEC!!! :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: Oh my goodness too funny! Wow, he'll get along w/ Jeff just fine!

I am soooooo excited about this! I am so glad everyone is so interested :woohoo: It's going to be so great to meet everyone!

ellej
02-06-2007, 11:24 PM
i realize that i am not helpful one bit. but i am a new disney bride, and i know for a fact that my new DH would be MORE THAN THRILLED to have a reason to have to come back to disney to have fun.

we just got married on 1/22/07, and just returned from our honeymoon on 2/5/07, so we are new to the count, but let's see if we can find SOMETHING that will make us HAVE to go to disney...i mean, really!! who has to really be FORCED to go to disney!!:rotfl:

ellej
02-06-2007, 11:28 PM
well, so in case my entry wasn't clear, WE ARE IN!!!!!!!!! so please keep us posted. i know we don't post alot, but it's our jobs that keep us away. i don't have internet at my job, so i can only rely when i get home. so please keep us in mind!!!!!!!!

love,
ellej and her DH
p.s. i can't believe i HAVE A DH!!!!!!!!

Maggimus
02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
well, so in case my entry wasn't clear, WE ARE IN!!!!!!!!! so please keep us posted. i know we don't post alot, but it's our jobs that keep us away. i don't have internet at my job, so i can only rely when i get home. so please keep us in mind!!!!!!!!

love,
ellej and her DH
p.s. i can't believe i HAVE A DH!!!!!!!!

Major congrats on your recent FTW. I think those that can make it have decided to meet in Charleston for a meet sometime in October. From there we may schedule a bigger meet down the road at Disney but I dont know. Right now everyone said it would just be a whole lot of money and a lot of time to get off to meet there. Ellej-- I hope you will still come to charleston with us. Ill put you down until I hear.:hug:

SRUAlmn
02-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Some fun news I just found out about Charleston!

Two of the beaches near our house are not vacationy type beaches, but beaches lined with multi million dollar homes. Some are owned and some are vacation rentals. Three (possibly four) celebrities have recently purchased vacation property at these two beaches.

Oprah Winfrey
Reese Witherspoon - actually is going to live here I think because she's trying to enroll her child in school
Lil' John - the rapper (sorry, I had to edit the way I spelled Little because DF was mad that I spelled it wrong.)

The last one rumored to have recently vacationed here in search of a home is Nick Lachey (Vanessa Manillo was here with him.)

happylalagirl
02-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Karen, that's so cool. I love Rheese Witherspoon. My DH and I love to look at all the big mansions by us. There's a town at the Jersey shore called Deal. it's one of the wealthiest towns in NJ. Lots of famous, wealthy people live there and there are some of the most amazing houses I've ever seen. :)

SRUAlmn
02-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Karen, that's so cool. I love Rheese Witherspoon. My DH and I love to look at all the big mansions by us. There's a town at the Jersey shore called Deal. it's one of the wealthiest towns in NJ. Lots of famous, wealthy people live there and there are some of the most amazing houses I've ever seen. :)

It's fun, isn't it? Although sometimes it's depressing that I live 4 minutes across the bridge from them and I live in a condo that I RENT! :rotfl:

JJClemson
02-07-2007, 08:01 PM

No way! Small world Diane! I'm from about 15 min away from Deal. I always run in Deal and Long Branch b/c I love running along the water. Looking at the beatiful houses in Deal definitely takes my mind away from the pain I'm experiencing :laughing: Have you guys ever gone down to look at the houses in Bay Head and Mantoloking? There are some AMAZING ones there too!

JJClemson
02-07-2007, 08:03 PM
It's fun, isn't it? Although sometimes it's depressing that I live 4 minutes across the bridge from them and I live in a condo that I RENT! :rotfl:

I know how you feel! I grew up in one of the wealthiest towns in NJ, but my family definitely was not wealthy. I always said I was from the ghetto :rotfl:

What beach is it that everyone is buying at? Is it Kiawah? I may run a 1/2 marathon there in December by the way, so we'll have to meet up :goodvibes Wow, I just realized I mentioned running in this post and the last one. I promise I'm not as psycho as I sound ;)

SRUAlmn
02-07-2007, 08:54 PM
I know how you feel! I grew up in one of the wealthiest towns in NJ, but my family definitely was not wealthy. I always said I was from the ghetto :rotfl:

What beach is it that everyone is buying at? Is it Kiawah? I may run a 1/2 marathon there in December by the way, so we'll have to meet up :goodvibes Wow, I just realized I mentioned running in this post and the last one. I promise I'm not as psycho as I sound ;)

Now I know why you're so skinny, you run all over the country!!! ;)

The beaches are Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island. You would think they'd buy at Kiawah, it's much more prestigious!

ETA:: I found a link to why they chose the Isle of Palms. Ted Turner has a house there too! I guess he's had one for a long time, so that must be how the name made it out to Hollywood.

JJClemson
02-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Now I know why you're so skinny, you run all over the country!!! ;)

The beaches are Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island. You would think they'd buy at Kiawah, it's much more pretigious!

Thanks for the compliment, but so not true :sad2:

Isle of Palms is really nice. I stayed at some hotel there a couple years back that was very pretty and they had good french toast :rotfl: See I have a problem!

Maggimus
02-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I wish I was a runner-- then I wouldnt have the problems I do. LoL... I use tony little's gazelle (haha:rotfl: let's all laugh in unison)... and that thing knocks me off my feet in 20 minutes.

Are there any DIS-weddings going on in October?

I think we decided on October- right?

If not are there any plans that might conflict with a weekend in october?

This might help us narrow down a date.:teacher:

JJClemson
02-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I wish I was a runner-- then I wouldnt have the problems I do. LoL... I use tony little's gazelle (haha:rotfl: let's all laugh in unison)... and that thing knocks me off my feet in 20 minutes.

Are there any DIS-weddings going on in October?

I think we decided on October- right?

If not are there any plans that might conflict with a weekend in october?

This might help us narrow down a date.:teacher:

Any time in October works for me :goodvibes

Maggie- if you want any tips on how to become a runner, I can help :) It may be a lot easier than you think!

Sparkles9306
02-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm getting married in October (12th). So I think fall may be pretty much out for me, finance and vacation time wise. But it sounds like October works for the majority of people so go for it! If this meet works out well, maybe it can become a yearly event!

Maggimus
02-08-2007, 09:51 AM

Maggie- if you want any tips on how to become a runner, I can help :) It may be a lot easier than you think!

Easier than I think?:rotfl:

I dont think I have the stamina (?) for it. I wish I had the power to just "keep going" and look past the torture-- :rotfl: . Some of our great neighbor friends are big runners and im like "man... if i could handle that and not get out there and look like a fool and have peopel laugh at me I would so shead this weight."....Any tips are welcome Jen. Seriously-- you do seem to be in very good shape. :dancer:

(OT: What ever happened to that little beach icon smilie thing. I tried to use it in a post the other day and cant find it. Did they take away some of the smilies?)

sunsh1ne
02-08-2007, 12:29 PM
i am getting married in oct on the 21st so i am a little sad that i guees i can not go wither i really hope we do this again!! i woul dlove to meet all of you

SRUAlmn
02-08-2007, 06:27 PM

I would LOVE to!! DF and I have a goal set to do our Charleston Bridge Run in April (it's a 10 K that you can walk OR run.) However, I have a...um.... chesty issue, shall we say! When I run, it hurts!!!! :rotfl:

PS Thanks for getting us back on track, Maggie! Anytime in October is good for us. My birthday is October 9 and DF's is October 6, but we never make major birthday plans :)

JJClemson
02-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I would LOVE to!! DF and I have a goal set to do our Charleston Bridge Run in April (it's a 10 K that you can walk OR run.) However, I have a...um.... chesty issue, shall we say! When I run, it hurts!!!! :rotfl:

The Cooper River Bridge Run! I did that back in 2004! It was fun :goodvibes What weekend is it this year? Maybe I can do it again!

The secret to becoming a runner is to become a walker first (which I already know you do that ;) ). Then add intervals of jogging to your walk. Gradually increase the length of your running intervals, and decrease your time walking. Before you know it, you'll just be running :goodvibes If you seriously want to become a runner, let me know. I have running books (yes, I am a dork!) and I'll send you one of the beginning runner plans!

As for your up top issue, they make sports bras now that are awesome for women who are blessed in that area. I, unfortunately, do not have that problem. One of my friends uses 2 sports bras when running, and that makes them stay put pretty well.

SRUAlmn
02-08-2007, 07:32 PM
The Cooper River Bridge Run! I did that back in 2004! It was fun :goodvibes What weekend is it this year? Maybe I can do it again!

The secret to becoming a runner is to become a walker first (which I already know you do that ;) ). Then add intervals of jogging to your walk. Gradually increase the length of your running intervals, and decrease your time walking. Before you know it, you'll just be running :goodvibes If you seriously want to become a runner, let me know. I have running books (yes, I am a dork!) and I'll send you one of the beginning runner plans!

As for your up top issue, they make sports bras now that are awesome for women who are blessed in that area. I, unfortunately, do not have that problem. One of my friends uses 2 sports bras when running, and that makes them stay put pretty well.

Yep, it is called the Cooper River Bridge Run, however, the bridge is the Ravenel Bridge now, so I don't know if they're going to keep the old name. That's why I said Charleston Bridge Run :laughing: I'll look up the date for you and let you know. It's usually the last week in March or the first week in April. ETA: The date this year is March 31.

I would actually really like to become a runner because I have very muscular legs from dancing for so many years and now that I don't dance anymore the muscle is turning to you know what!! I really need to trim my legs down more than anything. I like your interval plan. I think I'll try that :)

As for the sports bras, trust me, I've tried it all. I played 3 sports in High School so I had to find some way to survive. I've tried wearing 2, but then I can't breathe! I'm such a baby, I know!

JJClemson
02-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Yep, it is called the Cooper River Bridge Run, however, the bridge is the Ravenel Bridge now, so I don't know if they're going to keep the old name. That's why I said Charleston Bridge Run :laughing: I'll look up the date for you and let you know. It's usually the last week in March or the first week in April. ETA: The date this year is March 31.

I would actually really like to become a runner because I have very muscular legs from dancing for so many years and now that I don't dance anymore the muscle is turning to you know what!! I really need to trim my legs down more than anything. I like your interval plan. I think I'll try that :)

As for the sports bras, trust me, I've tried it all. I played 3 sports in High School so I had to find some way to survive. I've tried wearing 2, but then I can't breathe! I'm such a baby, I know!

Ah I can't go that weekend, it would have been fun! Sending you a PM :)

Maggimus
02-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Whats the name of that book? Im going to head out this weekend to a local used book store and see if I cant find one. I gotta get this stomach off of me-- and DH is a great runner... so if I could get my act together that could be more bonding time for us!

JJClemson
02-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Whats the name of that book? Im going to head out this weekend to a local used book store and see if I cant find one. I gotta get this stomach off of me-- and DH is a great runner... so if I could get my act together that could be more bonding time for us!

Maggie, my favorite book is Complete Book of Running from Runner's World, edited by Amby Burfoot. It has tons of reliable info for beginners to vets. Runnersworld.com has lots of info too. Good luck :) Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Maggimus
02-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Lets get this ball rolling again.

:idea: October... Whats a good date for everyone?

:idea: Also lets get some ideas of arrangements. What hotels should we look at? Should we all try and book at the same hotel to make it easier or will that matter?

princessdisneybelle
02-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Is there maybe a holiday weekend? People may have a few days off.

JJClemson
02-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Lets get this ball rolling again.

:idea: October... Whats a good date for everyone?

:idea: Also lets get some ideas of arrangements. What hotels should we look at? Should we all try and book at the same hotel to make it easier or will that matter?

I say we all try to book the same hotel or hotels close together. I would prefer earlier in October b/c DF will likely have exams in late October, but I'll still come either way :goodvibes

SRUAlmn
02-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Monday, October 8, is Columbus Day and I know some places have off for that day, but not many. Other than that, there really aren't any 'holidays' in October.

Since it will be here, any weekend works for us. I don't think we have anything going on for then as of right now except our birthdays.

I know quite a bit about some of the hotels around here since DF and I had to wait 2 1/2 weeks to get into our condo and we came down 3 times prior to moving for interviews. I can give everyone some options in different price ranges if you'd like. Do you want something on one of the beaches? Downtown?

I'll do what I can :goodvibes

JJClemson
02-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Monday, October 8, is Columbus Day and I know some places have off for that day, but not many. Other than that, there really aren't any 'holidays' in October.

Since it will be here, any weekend works for us. I don't think we have anything going on for then as of right now except our birthdays.

I know quite a bit about some of the hotels around here since DF and I had to wait 2 1/2 weeks to get into our condo and we came down 3 times prior to moving for interviews. I can give everyone some options in different price ranges if you'd like. Do you want something on one of the beaches? Downtown?

I'll do what I can :goodvibes

Thanks for your help Karen! The beach or downtown works for me, as long as it's relatively affordable. I am so excited about this! I cannot wait to meet everyone :yay:

SRUAlmn
02-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Ok, here's what I'm finding...

The 'nicer' downtown hotels are looking like they're around $250 per night in October :scared1:

These three hotels are right by my house in Mount Pleasant (closer to the beaches and about 10-15 minutes to get downtown.)

Comfort Suites (about $90 per night with AAA)
http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/Availability?sid=xgm6i.FIRt0gqaz.6

Residence Inn (about $150 per night- normal rate)
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/CHSMP

Hampton Inn (about $100 per night with AAA)
http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=VOD1H0CKQWH1KCSGBIWM22QKIYF C5UUC?ctyhocn=CHSMPHX&ctyhocn=CHSMPHX

These are the hotels on the Isle of Palms beach
Seaside Inn (about $140 per night depending on if you want oceanfront - normal rate)
http://www.seasideinniop.com/index.html

The one my family stayed at was cute and oceanfront and fairly inexpensive. It used to be a Holiday Inn Express, but it's now under new management and is called The Palms Hotel. I can't find a website for it to get pictures for you, but maybe once the transfer is complete it will be easier. The rooms look like they'd be about $140ish for non oceanfront.

I would think with any of the above places a group rate would bring them down below $100. I know we're trying to go cheap, so I'm still looking. I'm going to go look at some of the 2nd tier places downtown. They're still nice, but less than $250 a night ;) It's hard to know when no one has given a price range- help!! :)

Maggimus
02-10-2007, 01:54 PM
DH and I are definitely in regardless so just let me know...:hippie:

sunsh1ne
02-10-2007, 02:21 PM
my df will not be goign so i was woundering if any girls who df were not goign would wantto room to split the costs??

Maggimus
02-10-2007, 02:54 PM
sunsh1ne:idea: thats a great idea!! I could imagine that others would definately be up for that!! More money saved is more money you can use elsewhere!! Im all about a good deal!:hug:

Maggimus
02-10-2007, 03:48 PM
DH just called me from work asking when we were going to be going to Charleston. He, no lie, has asked me this every single day since I brought it up. Unfortunately, dont get your hopes up-- hes not really excited about meeting all of the girls. I think he's just ready to go play golf with some people he doesnt know. He plays in tournaments about every 2 weeks in the warmer months... and literally, you cant pry the golf clubs from his hand. Just so you know- someones excited..:yay:

JJClemson
02-10-2007, 04:02 PM
It's hard to know when no one has given a price range- help!! :)

The max we could pay is $150 per night and we have AAA if that helps.

Maggie- My DF will definitely play golf w/ your DH. Just a heads up though... he doesn't do tournaments or anything like that, so you're DH can't laugh at him too much ;)

Maggimus
02-10-2007, 04:09 PM
The max we could pay is $150 per night and we have AAA if that helps.

Maggie- My DF will definitely play golf w/ your DH. Just a heads up though... he doesn't do tournaments or anything like that, so you're DH can't laugh at him too much ;)

DH wont laugh at him, I promise;). DH doesnt even laugh at me-- and you should see me swing a club. For my birthday DH bought me a brand new set of Calloway clubs, brand new bag, and the cutest golf shoes. :confused3 I have no idea why, I dont even like golf. He's been trying to get me into it and its just not my thing. He's really fun to play with so I think they will have a good time. DH plays in tournaments more-so because he likes to play a lot and not so much because hes good at it.

JJClemson
02-10-2007, 04:28 PM
DH wont laugh at him, I promise;). DH doesnt even laugh at me-- and you should see me swing a club. For my birthday DH bought me a brand new set of Calloway clubs, brand new bag, and the cutest golf shoes. :confused3 I have no idea why, I dont even like golf. He's been trying to get me into it and its just not my thing. He's really fun to play with so I think they will have a good time. DH plays in tournaments more-so because he likes to play a lot and not so much because hes good at it.

Haha your DH sounds like my Dad! He has bought my mom, brother, and I more gold equipment, apparel, and lessons than you can imagine. Of course, none of the stuff has been used more than once :rolleyes:

My Dad and all 4 of his siblings are VERY good golfers. They were all on Georgetown University's golf team when they were in school... sadly my cousins and I did not continue their legacy :laughing: One of my uncles is even a pro. The day before the wedding, my Dad and his siblings will be playing golf with some of DF's family members and friends. DF is soooo nervous about it b/c that will be his first time playing with serious players!

SRUAlmn
02-10-2007, 04:28 PM
My DF asked me why I was looking at hotels and I told him it was for the meet. He said 'oh, was that for real?' :) Then I told him the guys would probably want to golf and he got excited. He is REALLY good and loves showing off :rotfl:

He said once we get a date set he can set something up since he works for Kiawah Island Club and has lots of local connections. Maggie, since your DH seems excited about it, have him look online and see if there is anywhere in particular he'd like to play :)

JJClemson
02-10-2007, 04:30 PM
My DF asked me why I was looking at hotels and I told him it was for the meet. He said 'oh, was that for real?' :) Then I told him the guys would probably want to golf and he got excited. He is REALLY good and loves showing off :rotfl:

He said once we get a date set he can set something up since he works for Kiawah Island Club and has lots of local connections. Maggie, since your DH seems excited about it, have him look online and see if there is anywhere in particular he'd like to play :)

Ok Karen, your DF cannot laugh at my DF either :rotfl: I'm going to tell him he has a lot of practicing to do this summer!

Maggimus
02-10-2007, 04:38 PM
You all have me laughing. Karen, im glad that your DH is so good-- DH will really enjoy that. He doesnt laugh at those that are less than him, but those that can play better... well thats just competition. Jen, your Dh will be fine-- he's probobly a whole lot better than he realizes.

Karen, what courses are there in the area? If you have names I will have DH look into them. Does your DF want to play at the one he works at? I think I remember you said he worked for a golf course. Or is that private? Let me know what there is to choose from-- it will give Dh something to hold on to for the next little bit. lol:rotfl:

Angela... didnt you say BG plays too??

Who else has golfer DF's/DH's?? The more the merrier...

SRUAlmn
02-10-2007, 05:02 PM
You all have me laughing. Karen, im glad that your DH is so good-- DH will really enjoy that. He doesnt laugh at those that are less than him, but those that can play better... well thats just competition. Jen, your Dh will be fine-- he's probobly a whole lot better than he realizes.

Karen, what courses are there in the area? If you have names I will have DH look into them. Does your DF want to play at the one he works at? I think I remember you said he worked for a golf course. Or is that private? Let me know what there is to choose from-- it will give Dh something to hold on to for the next little bit. lol:rotfl:

Angela... didnt you say BG plays too??

Who else has golfer DF's/DH's?? The more the merrier...

Don't worry, he's won't laugh. He sounds just like Maggie's DH. He won't make fun if you're not good (if anything, he'll give lots of pointers to help,) but he loves some healthy competition!

All the Kiawah Island courses are private. DF can play them for free, but he isn't allowed to bring guests (let alone 50 :rotfl: )

He went to a hockey game tonight, so I'll find out some names of courses he could get everyone in at when he gets home. I know a bunch, but I'm never sure which are private and which are public.

Maggimus
02-10-2007, 05:07 PM
sounds good-- DH will be eager to research them!!

Cinderella Fan
02-10-2007, 06:33 PM
BG does play golf.... He used to play on the golf team in high school - yes, he is a dork... :) He hasn't played in a while, so I am sure there will be some laughing at him too...:lmao:

So, have we decided on a set date yet?

SRUAlmn
02-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Maggie,

Here are some of the golf courses. I didn't know what price range the greens fees should be, so he just gave me a bunch and we can go from there :)

Charleston National
Dunes West
Wild Dunes (Links or Harbor Course)
Patriot's Point
Stono Ferry
Shadowmoss Plantation (not as nice)
Pine Forest
Rivertowne
Kiawah Island (Oak Point, Osprey Point, Cougar Point, Turtle Point, or The Ocean Course)

He has more if he wants them :thumbsup2

SRUAlmn
02-10-2007, 09:38 PM
I have to write something SO FUNNY! I was shocked when DF was giving me the golf course names and then said he wanted to read this whole thread to learn about what we were planning.

WHAT!?!? You want to read the DisBoards!?!?!?

Anyway, we just had a blast reading through it and he was giving everyone different voices as he read each post based on what they wrote. We'd come to an abbreviation and I'd tell him what it meant and he'd say 'no, don't tell me, I want to figure it out!' If people spelled things wrong he would give them a foreign accent that would fit it being pronounced that way (I think someone wrote going as goign and so he made them sound Swedish and said goigin floigin. It was all in good fun, and it was really hilarious :rotfl: He decided that he doesn't want to be a DF because everyone is called DF and he wants to be unique, he wants to be the MFDF (you figure it out ;) ) What a goofball!!! He also asked if we were going to make pins or t shirts like we wear at WDW for different events. He was totally kidding, but... you never know!

Anyway, he LOVES to show off Charleston to visitors and family that come down, so he has offered himself to be the events coordinator. :thumbsup2

ETA: I hope no one gets offended that he was using silly voices to read through, we were just having fun and were in NO way trying to make fun of anyone. He loves you now too just like I do ;)

Maggimus
02-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I have to write something SO FUNNY! I was shocked when DF was giving me the golf course names and then said he wanted to read this whole thread to learn about what we were planning.

WHAT!?!? You want to read the DisBoards!?!?!?

Anyway, we just had a blast reading through it and he was giving everyone different voices as he read each post based on what they wrote. We'd come to an abbreviation and I'd tell him what it meant and he'd say 'no, don't tell me, I want to figure it out!' If people spelled things wrong he would give them a foreign accent that would fit it being pronounced that way (I think someone wrote going as goign and so he made them sound Swedish and said goigin floigin. It was all in good fun, and it was really hilarious :rotfl: He decided that he doesn't want to be a DF because everyone is called DF and he wants to be unique, he wants to be the MFDF (you figure it out ;) ) What a goofball!!! He also asked if we were going to make pins or t shirts like we wear at WDW for different events. He was totally kidding, but... you never know!

Anyway, he LOVES to show off Charleston to visitors and family that come down, so he has offered himself to be the events coordinator. :thumbsup2

ETA: I hope no one gets offended that he was using silly voices to read through, we were just having fun and were in NO way trying to make fun of anyone. He loves you now too just like I do ;)

HAHA-- this makes me think that him and MFDHShane are going to get along really well...

JJClemson
02-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Haha too funny Karen :rotfl:

I cannot believe he read the Dis! I don't think Jeff would EVER do that! That's hysterical, I wish I could have heard him!

Maggimus
02-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Maggie,

Here are some of the golf courses. I didn't know what price range the greens fees should be, so he just gave me a bunch and we can go from there :)

Charleston National
Dunes West
Wild Dunes (Links or Harbor Course)
Patriot's Point
Stono Ferry
Shadowmoss Plantation (not as nice)
Pine Forest
Rivertowne
Kiawah Island (Oak Point, Osprey Point, Cougar Point, Turtle Point, or The Ocean Course)

He has more if he wants them :thumbsup2

Well DH was planning on looking these over this morning and doing a little research-- but its a little difficult to do that when you wake up and go play golf. During the summer months you cannot keep him from the golf course on his off days. Seriously, it would be more cost effective to live on a golf course than live near his work... Oh well-- im DISBoardin today...

Which of those courses are ones that your "MFDF" will prefer Karen? he knows them pretty well-- so maybe if he could narrow them down to about 5... that would make it easier. Maybe ones that might be more appealing than the others.. like different types of courses that they might not be able to play...

SRUAlmn
02-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Well DH was planning on looking these over this morning and doing a little research-- but its a little difficult to do that when you wake up and go play golf. During the summer months you cannot keep him from the golf course on his off days. Seriously, it would be more cost effective to live on a golf course than live near his work... Oh well-- im DISBoardin today...

Which of those courses are ones that your "MFDF" will prefer Karen? he knows them pretty well-- so maybe if he could narrow them down to about 5... that would make it easier. Maybe ones that might be more appealing than the others.. like different types of courses that they might not be able to play...

You are cracking me up calling him that! Don't feed into his insanity :rotfl:

He really likes Patriot's Point because a couple of the holes go right along the Charleston Harbor, it has really pretty views, and it's right near our house, but the course isn't that difficult or challenging.

Dunes West and Charleston National he likes, but they are surrounded by houses which he says ruins the experience :confused3

He's never played the Kiawah Courses except the ones he works at, and they would be an hour drive from here.

The hardest course of the ones listed would be Charleston National (his second fav.)

He said if your 'MFDH' can give him some criteria it will help him pick some out. Does he care about the visual look of the course, the challenge level of the course, a links course, reasonably priced greens fees, etc...

Maggimus
02-11-2007, 11:44 AM
I dont think he will care about challenging courses... unless one of them is like a PGA tournament course that is super cool and well known (which i have no idea if Charleston has those or not). Courses with houses on them arent that great-- he plays at a few around here like that . I think he would like the one with the holes that run along the harbor-- that sounds neat!! Here I am speaking for DH... thats what wives do best.

Maggimus
02-11-2007, 11:50 AM
other than experiencing the play of a well known course-- i dont think we should go super challenging. Especially because there will be other men playing and whatnot and we want them to have fun!!

Has everyone else abandoned this thread?

I wish everyone else would talk too...:sad1: Any other men wanting to play golf? Any Ideas:idea: out there?

happylalagirl
02-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Hey Maggie and everyone else... sorry about being MIA. Andrew is in Buffalo and he took the laptop... I am just now logging on to the desktop... it's cold in this room... :worried:

Andrew is totally into golf. Nice scenery, not too hard and not too expensive. We are trying to save for a house. ;) He likes meeting new people and is used to playing with strangers.

SRUAlmn
02-11-2007, 12:41 PM
If the general consensus is nice scenery, not too hard and not too expensive, it looks like Patriot's Point would be the best option. They also have the cool new GPS carts!!!!

Maggimus
02-11-2007, 12:47 PM
If the general consensus is nice scenery, not too hard and not too expensive, it looks like Patriot's Point would be the best option. They also have the cool new GPS carts!!!!

That is totally cool!! DH will love that..

So for Golf we have:

JJClemson's DF
SRUAlmn's DF
Happylalagirl's DH
Maggimus' DH
CinderellaFan's DH
BeckyB29's DH
seaprincess' DH

I would love to see more play so lets get a list going...

Seems like many arent coming here anymore-- I hope this means the count for the meet is getting smaller. Any ideas, anyone?

JJClemson
02-11-2007, 01:15 PM
I know, where did everyone go? :worried:

Is October not a good time for everyone? We can definitely be flexible!

I want to meet everyone :sad1:

beckyb29
02-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Count Joe in for golf...he was all for it when I mentioned it to him! He plays quite a bit around here, in a tournament now and then when the weather is nice. I give him a hard time about it, just because it's not my favorite thing-although he did drag me to a driving range one time....that was just proof that I need to stick to putt-putt, which I am not good at either, but it's much more fun!
I can't wait to meet everybody!!! We went to Charleston last year for a long weekend-it's a great place, and I know we'll have so much fun!! :)

seaprincess
02-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading about the meet and greet in Charleston and it sounds incredible!! Charleston is so beautiful in October. We are in NC and October offers perfect weather!! (not too hot or cold):) .

My DH loves to golf, he does not get to play much but I am sure he would be up for the challange!!

Have you all decided on a date yet??

Maggimus
02-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Count Joe in for golf...he was all for it when I mentioned it to him! He plays quite a bit around here, in a tournament now and then when the weather is nice. I give him a hard time about it, just because it's not my favorite thing-although he did drag me to a driving range one time....that was just proof that I need to stick to putt-putt, which I am not good at either, but it's much more fun!
I can't wait to meet everybody!!! We went to Charleston last year for a long weekend-it's a great place, and I know we'll have so much fun!! :)

HAHA you think the driving range is bad?? Ive been to those countless times myself with DH...

Try having your second date take place at a golf course. DH says, its a Sunday mind you, "I have a surprise date for us today"... im thinking WOW-- I love surprises.... Welp it certainly wasnt the day i had planned. I stayed in the cart the entire time (this was in november-- freezing cold weather)... it was the WORST date ive ever been on-- and it was the 2nd. LOL... it was a good date for him though:rotfl:

Lisa- We havent set a date yet but we are considering sometime in October. Im really glad you are jumping aboard!:hug:

beckyb29
02-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Maggie-wow you are brave! I don't know if I would have survived that date or not! LOL At least you stuck it out for the long run! DH always wants me to go with him...I've thought that if I go, maybe I can use it as a bargaining chip for an extra Disney trip! It may just work :rotfl:

Maggimus
02-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Malibelle-- You think you and your Dh might make it down? I know you said he was a golfer!!:goodvibes

happylalagirl
02-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey girls!! I'm sitting here with my DH and he's excited about the golf game. He wants to know if you are only planning on playing one day of golf. If we come down, we are probably going to drive down on a Friday and leaving on a Monday, so he was thinking of playing Sat and Sun. Let me know if anyone is going to be around for the extra day... If not, I'm sure we can find something else to do.

Also, as far as hotels go, we have never gone wrong with Hotwire.com. We have stayed in some amazing hotels in the best parts of towns and for not much money. It's definitely worth checking out. What dates are we looking at? We should nail that down? Are we going for the weekend of Oct. 5-7? I think the weekend after that is Columbus Day weekend, so that might mean some people have off, but the prices might go up... so, let's try to figure that out next...

happylalagirl
02-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi there... I was checking out hotels... what about this one? I found it on Orbitz. The price seems right and the reviews are pretty good. How much time are we really going to spend in our rooms anyway? :goodvibes

https://www.orbitz.com/Secure/ViewHotelGuestInformation?null&retrieveParams=true&z=792c&r=8e&z=792e&r=8g&lastPage=interstitial

JJClemson
02-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi there... I was checking out hotels... what about this one? I found it on Orbitz. The price seems right and the reviews are pretty good. How much time are we really going to spend in our rooms anyway? :goodvibes

https://www.orbitz.com/Secure/ViewHotelGuestInformation?null&retrieveParams=true&z=792c&r=8e&z=792e&r=8g&lastPage=interstitial

Diane, the link took me right to the Orbitz home page. Do you remember what the name of the hotel was?

Jeff will probably only be able to golf on Saturday. We'll have to be back in Atl by Monday morning. We'll have to leave by noonish Sunday b/c we'll have to drive 4 hrs to pick up the baby (dog ;) ) from FMIL's and then 2 hrs back to Atl.

Is Oct 5-7 good for everyone? That works for me :goodvibes

Maggimus
02-12-2007, 09:45 AM
That works for me too....

DH and I can probobly stay until Monday as well-- ill let you know for sure though.

We will also be coming down on a Friday... staying till atleast Sunday. But like I said we may make the drive really worth our while and stay another day. If DH is there Diane, he will defiantely not mind golfing another day. Like Jen, it will also depend on what we have to do arrangement-wise with our dogs. But Ill let you know.

Maybe we could check and see whether or not the rates go up for Columbus day? If not that might make it easier for some people to stay an extra day... does anyone really ever get off for Columbus Day?

lurkyloo
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi Maggie!

I wanted to let you know that I've been reading this thread too, and sighing wistfully... I don't think I can come to your meet, though, because A) we're saving for Disney World in November, and B) we're not technically engaged yet (although, by October we darn well better be! ;) )

So...I really want to come...but I don't think I can... :sad1: I'll just have to live vicariously through you guys (oh wait - I already do!! :rotfl: )

Maggimus
02-12-2007, 03:14 PM
you dont have to be "technically" engaged. You are part of this board and thats all that matters:hug:. I really would love if you could make it for the weekend. Try to talk him into it and let me know:goodvibes

happylalagirl
02-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Hey Maggie - sorry about that... thought it would take you to the page with the hotel info... so I just copied and pasted it here... check it out and let me know what you think... for me Columbus Day weekend would just mean I only have to take Selena out of school for one day as opposed to 2... but whatever works best for everyone is fine with me. :goodvibes I'm thankful my brother takes care of our pets for us... there's way too many for us to bring to someone's house... 2 dogs, 2 cats and a bird... :)

Holiday Inn CHARLESTON-RIVERVIEW
301 SAVANNAH HWY, Charleston, SC
1.8 Miles West of Charleston (City Center)

$94.33/night

When visiting the Historic City of Charleston, what strikes you most is the way history permeates every facet of the city. When you begin exploring Charleston, you will find that this lovely historic city was made for walking, offering great shopping and dining experiences on virtually every corner.The Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview Hotel is a unique 14-story circular high-rise hotel, located on the banks of the Ashley River overlooking the skylights of historic Charleston, just minutes from the business district and historic downtown. Our Harborview Restaurant and High Spirits Lounge, located on the 14th floor, offer our guests the most spectacular panoramic view of Charleston. Additional features are a seasonal outdoor pool, ample free parking, including ADA accessible spaces, and courtesy shuttle to downtown Charleston.Dedicated to upholding Charleston's finest Southern traditions, the Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview Hotel captures the spirit of the city and invites you to step back in time.The Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview Hotel is designed to accommodate corporate, group and leisure travelers. ADA accessible rooms offer a tub with grab bars, roll-in shower and ADA-approved smoke detector. Our dedicated staff is responsive to your needs. Rest assured, every effort will be made to make your stay a memorable experience. Visit our web pages for additional details of the many amenities and services provided by our hotel and staff. This hotel is committed to providing accessible facilities under the American Disabilities Act. If your accessibility needs are not met, please contact the Hotel Manager on Duty. Should you require additional information regarding accessible facilities for guests with disabilities, please call 1-800-Holiday (U.S. and Canada) or contact the hotel directly. For the hearing impaired, TDD service is available at 1-800-238-5544 within the U.S. and Canada.

Maggimus
02-12-2007, 04:33 PM
That sounds great Diane...:goodvibes If its good with everyone else it's good with me.

:sad2: Today has been a really terrible day. I cannot put it into words nor do I think its appropriate to do so here...:sad2: Im hoping for some good vibes girls... things dont seem like they will be looking up anytime soon.:grouphug:

SRUAlmn
02-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Hey Maggie - sorry about that... thought it would take you to the page with the hotel info... so I just copied and pasted it here... check it out and let me know what you think... for me Columbus Day weekend would just mean I only have to take Selena out of school for one day as opposed to 2... but whatever works best for everyone is fine with me. :goodvibes I'm thankful my brother takes care of our pets for us... there's way too many for us to bring to someone's house... 2 dogs, 2 cats and a bird... :)

Holiday Inn CHARLESTON-RIVERVIEW
301 SAVANNAH HWY, Charleston, SC
1.8 Miles West of Charleston (City Center)

$94.33/night

When visiting the Historic City of Charleston, what strikes you most is the way history permeates every facet of the city. When you begin exploring Charleston, you will find that this lovely historic city was made for walking, offering great shopping and dining experiences on virtually every corner.The Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview Hotel is a unique 14-story circular high-rise hotel, located on the banks of the Ashley River overlooking the skylights of historic Charleston, just minutes from the business district and historic downtown. Our Harborview Restaurant and High Spirits Lounge, located on the 14th floor, offer our guests the most spectacular panoramic view of Charleston. Additional features are a seasonal outdoor pool, ample free parking, including ADA accessible spaces, and courtesy shuttle to downtown Charleston.Dedicated to upholding Charleston's finest Southern traditions, the Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview Hotel captures the spirit of the city and invites you to step back in time.The Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview Hotel is designed to accommodate corporate, group and leisure travelers. ADA accessible rooms offer a tub with grab bars, roll-in shower and ADA-approved smoke detector. Our dedicated staff is responsive to your needs. Rest assured, every effort will be made to make your stay a memorable experience. Visit our web pages for additional details of the many amenities and services provided by our hotel and staff. This hotel is committed to providing accessible facilities under the American Disabilities Act. If your accessibility needs are not met, please contact the Hotel Manager on Duty. Should you require additional information regarding accessible facilities for guests with disabilities, please call 1-800-Holiday (U.S. and Canada) or contact the hotel directly. For the hearing impaired, TDD service is available at 1-800-238-5544 within the U.S. and Canada.

We stayed there for 2 nights when we first moved while we waited for our condo to be ready. We got a GREAT deal with my entertainment card (you get 50% off at Holiday Inns.) We stayed for $40!!!!!!!!!!!

It's hard to give an opinion on it because everyone sees things differently. IMO, it was an ok place. The rooms are 'ok' and the hotel iteslf has a cute skytop bar and restaurant. It's not in the 'best' neighborhood, but not somewhere you should fear for your life either. There are a couple restaurants right by it (one of my favorites, California Dreaming!!!) It's right across the Ashley River bridge from Downtown. It's about 15 minutes to the beaches.

JJClemson
02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
:sad2: Today has been a really terrible day. I cannot put it into words nor do I think its appropriate to do so here...:sad2: Im hoping for some good vibes girls... things dont seem like they will be looking up anytime soon.:grouphug:

Maggie, I'm so sorry :hug: Let me know if there's anything I can do :grouphug:

JJClemson
02-12-2007, 05:37 PM
We stayed there for 2 nights when we first moved while we waited for our condo to be ready. We got a GREAT deal with my entertainment card (you get 50% off at Holiday Inns.) We stayed for $40!!!!!!!!!!!

It's hard to give an opinion on it because everyone sees things differently. IMO, it was an ok place. The rooms are 'ok' and the hotel iteslf has a cute skytop bar and restaurant. It's not in the 'best' neighborhood, but not somewhere you should fear for your life either. There are a couple restaurants right by it (one of my favorites, California Dreaming!!!) It's right across the Ashley River bridge from Downtown. It's about 15 minutes to the beaches.

OOOh California Dreaming is soooo yummy! How is it we always end up talking about food :rotfl: I'm supposed to be at a spinning class now, but no I'm eating graham crackers and talking about food on the Dis :laughing:

happylalagirl
02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Maggie, you know you can talk to us anytime about anything... at least you have American Idol to look forward to tomorrow night... :goodvibes I'm sorry things haven't been going well for you... I know the feeling... I really dislike this time of the year (at least for the last 5 years) because we struggle so much financially... our silver lining is one of the guys Andrew used to work with just called Andrew today and needs his help on a tree job... it's not as good as getting his own job, but it's work so it's a blessing. God never gives us more than we can handle. Even though I say that to myself and think it's not true, I know it is. Things will turn around for you. Just know that we are here for you. If you need to talk, just PM me or give me a call... you have my e-mail and phone number from a previous PM. :goodvibes :hug: :hug:

happylalagirl
02-12-2007, 06:02 PM
OOOh California Dreaming is soooo yummy! How is it we always end up talking about food :rotfl: I'm supposed to be at a spinning class now, but no I'm eating graham crackers and talking about food on the Dis :laughing:

Jen, I know what you mean about working out... I"m sitting here at work, eating a cookie from Blimpie and catching up on the Dis... I haven't picked up my weights since I came back from FL... but I do have the Buff Moms to Be book... it looks so nice on my coffee table... :lmao: I promise... tomorrow... I HAVE to or I'm going to be gaining a lot of unhealthy weight and I want to look good for you girls in October.

What's California Dreaming????!!!! I want to know!!! I LOVE good food!!! Tell me.....

Karin, I figured it doesn't have to be a GREAT hotel, unless there are those of us who can afford a GREAT hotel. Personally, I know we can't and I know I'm not the only one... I just figured I'd throw it out there as an option and it seemed like a good location and it has a shuttle to downtown... ;) Just trying to get the ball rolling. ;)

JJClemson
02-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Jen, I know what you mean about working out... I"m sitting here at work, eating a cookie from Blimpie and catching up on the Dis... I haven't picked up my weights since I came back from FL... but I do have the Buff Moms to Be book... it looks so nice on my coffee table... :lmao: I promise... tomorrow... I HAVE to or I'm going to be gaining a lot of unhealthy weight and I want to look good for you girls in October.

What's California Dreaming????!!!! I want to know!!! I LOVE good food!!! Tell me.....

Karin, I figured it doesn't have to be a GREAT hotel, unless there are those of us who can afford a GREAT hotel. Personally, I know we can't and I know I'm not the only one... I just figured I'd throw it out there as an option and it seemed like a good location and it has a shuttle to downtown... ;) Just trying to get the ball rolling. ;)

I think California Dreaming may only be in SC. I've eaten at the one in Greenville and in Columbia. It's a mix of food... salads, steaks, seafood, chicken and a great bar. I know that doesn't make it sound very good, but everything is fresh and really yummy :goodvibes

happylalagirl
02-12-2007, 06:13 PM
I think California Dreaming may only be in SC. I've eaten at the one in Greenville and in Columbia. It's a mix of food... salads, steaks, seafood, chicken and a great bar. I know that doesn't make it sound very good, but everything is fresh and really yummy :goodvibes

I"m game for anything that tastes good!!! Especially since my senses have calmed down a bit and I can tolerate most smells again... I love a good steak... especially now that I'm pregnant. Apparently my body is craving the protein and the iron. I never used to eat this much red meat... now I crave it. It's funny how our bodies change over the course of a few months... now that I've talked about it... I want steak... ugh.... :rotfl:

SRUAlmn
02-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I didn't mean to sound like that hotel wouldn't be a good option. Just wanted to give all the facts. I think it's a great choice! Especially if you can get an entertainment card rate- SUCH a bargain!!!

California Dreaming is SO GOOD! My favorite thing there is an appetizer. It's honey covered croissants- YUM!!!!!!!!! I can't think of that right now, though, because thanks to Jen I am on a strict regiment and I started my running program today :goodvibes

Maggie, BIG HUGS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!:grouphug: :grouphug: I seriously sometimes wish I could call you girls when I have things going on because you're all such great listeners, so the offer is out there. If you really need to talk for real, PM me, you can call :)

JJClemson
02-12-2007, 08:19 PM
is SO GOOD! My favorite thing there is an appetizer. It's honey covered croissants- YUM!!!!!!!!! I can't think of that right now, though, because thanks to Jen I am on a strict regiment and I started my running program today :goodvibes

Yay Karen! Really? I am so excited for you! I cannot wait to hear how it goes! You've seriously just put me in such a good mood. DF and I were both such bums today, we both ditched our workout w/o the other knowing. So, we're sulking now :laughing: I am so glad someone did something exercise-wise today! Go Karen ;)

Moonpie
02-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Sorry to jump in on your conversation...
California Dreaming? Is that a restaurant? ...and we don't have it here in California!
So...today is my birthday! It's been a frustrating day with my first grade class...but now I'm home with my hubby, and I got showered with gifts, and we're going out to dinner...and not even the rain can ruin my birthday evening now! :cutie:
Also...did you know that it's also Lincoln's birthday today? Also, I found out the other day that Lincoln was married on November 4th...that's my wedding date too! Weird coincidence...isn't it?:)

SRUAlmn
02-12-2007, 08:48 PM
California Dreaming? Is that a restaurant? ...and we don't have it here in California!
So...today is my birthday! It's been a frustrating day with my first grade class...but now I'm home with my hubby, and I got showered with gifts, and we're going out to dinner...and not even the rain can ruin my birthday evening now! :cutie:
Also...did you know that it's also Lincoln's birthday today? Also, I found out the other day that Lincoln was married on November 4th...that's my wedding date too! Weird coincidence...isn't it?:)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cake: :cake: party: :bday: Yep, that should cover it :rotfl:

Trust me, I know how frustrating teaching first grade can be!!!! I had a rough day today too, but luckily we had an early dismissal today ;) Glad your evening was better :) :) :)

I don't know why California Dreaming isn't in California! I'm trying to find the website that tells the name of the parent company that owns it. I'll let you know.

JJClemson
02-12-2007, 08:51 PM

Happy Birthday Moonpie! :cake: party: :bday:

I'm sorry your day has not been that good so far, but I hope it gets better!

Very strange about your connection with Lincoln! My DF's bday is Nov 4 :) so you picked a good day to get married!

SRUAlmn
02-12-2007, 08:52 PM
The company is called CentraArchy or something random like that. Here are all the restaurants owned by that same company:

LOCATIONS AT A GLANCE

California Dreaming
#1 Ashley Pointe Drive
Charleston, SC 29407

California Dreaming
401 South Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201

California Dreaming
40 Beacon Drive
Greenville, SC 29615

California Dreaming
3241 Washington Road
Augusta, GA 30907

California Dreaming
17 Bypass
Beaver Run Boulevard
Surfside Beach, SC 29575
Phone: (843) 215-5255

California Dreaming
1630 Distribution DriveI-85 at Exit 109
Duluth, Georgia 30097
Phone: (770) 813-9240
Fax: (770) 813-9242

California Dreaming
745 Chastain Road
Kennesaw, Georgia 30097
Phone

Joey D's Oakroom
1015 Crown Pointe Parkway
Atlanta, GA 30338

New York Prime
405 28th Avenue North
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

New York Prime
2350 Executive Center Drive, NW
Boca Raton, FL 33431

New York Prime
3424 Peachtree Road, NE
Suite 100 - Monarch Tower
Atlanta, GA 30326

Fiesta del Burro Loco
960 Jason Boulevard
Hwy 17 Bypass @ 10th Avenue
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Frank Manzetti's Tavern
6401 Morrison Boulevard
- Specialty Shops at the Park -
Charlotte, NC 28211

Gulfstream Cafe
1536 South Waccamaw Drive
- Marlin Quay Marina -
Garden City, SC 29576

Chophouse '47
36 Beacon Drive
Greenville, SC 29615

The Tavern at Jupiter
1352 South US Highway 1
Jupiter, FL 33477

Carolina Roadhouse
4617 North Kings Highway
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

The Tavern at Phipps
3500 Peachtree Road
Atlanta, GA 30326

JJClemson
02-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Ok, how weird is it that I have been to 4 of the restaurants Karen listed? :rotfl:

I have been to Chophouse in Greenville, ok but California Dreaming is better. And I have been to the Tavern at Jupiter in FL. It's right down the road from where my grandparents live :rotfl: I would have never guessed it was the same company.

I haven't been to the ones in Atlanta and Kennesaw, GA and that's where I live now. I guess I know where DF and I are eating this weekend ;)

lurkyloo
02-13-2007, 11:58 AM
you dont have to be "technically" engaged. You are part of this board and thats all that matters:hug:. I really would love if you could make it for the weekend. Try to talk him into it and let me know:goodvibes

That means a lot, Maggie :goodvibes I'll start working on the BF!

Moonpie
02-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes! :cutie: I had a great time last night! My husband took me to a little local restaurant where I had the most delicious pasta that I've ever tasted! :cloud9: Yum! :)

Maggimus
02-14-2007, 09:31 AM
We had something in the paper yesterday abotu Charleston's food and Wine festival. It didnt say when it was:confused3 but they are promoting it pretty big because it was in our paper here in Knoxville(TN).:goodvibes

Maggimus
02-14-2007, 03:27 PM
bumping for new info & updates:yay: :yay:

SRUAlmn
02-14-2007, 05:00 PM
There is a food and wine festival in March (I think.) Then there is The Taste of Charleston which is on October 8. That's crazy that it was in your paper in Tennessee!!! We love our neighbors :goodvibes

DisneyFairy19
02-14-2007, 10:32 PM
I am glad that this Trip will be in October.. I am very excited about this I get to meet my Disboard Friends.. I graduate in June so from now to June I wont be doing to much... I PM Maggimus about doing Disney... If its too much $$$ which I know Disney (we can do the food & wine in Disney or the MNSSHP) or we can meet anywhere else.. I am up for anything...

StephSFL
02-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Ok! I just discovered this thread and am so excited! Confused- is there one meet in Charleston or are there any others- I saw Vegas, cruise, & Disney?!?!
I would love to meet you all!:banana: :yay:
This would be sooo much fun!

Belle83007
02-14-2007, 11:45 PM
I def want to go and meet everyone, but I have to see where we are financially after this wedding;) I think it will be sooo much fun:banana: I would say count me and my DF in for now:yay: I am sooo excited to meet everyone in person:grouphug: You girls are the best:disrocks:

Steph- I believe there is one meet in Charleston and the cruise, vegas and disney were just other location ideas;)

Maggimus
02-15-2007, 09:18 AM
We have decided October & Charleston. Thats all thats been agreed upon. We have considered the first and second weekend (Columbus because more might be able to get off work for longer)....

I PMed you back DisneyFairy19:hug:

heatherlynn444
02-15-2007, 02:47 PM
hi all...I haven't been talking on this thread lately, b/c some things have been "in the works" and I didn't want to say anything until it was for sure. Bobby and I talked a lot lately about going back to Disney if we could get the 40% off code applied to us. we want a honeymoon redo! haha. well, we FINALLY got it through today (i think haha) and I am going to be saving each and every penny I have so that we can go (we dont have to pay until like dec. 9th) so...that means a dis meet is out for me :sad1: I'm so sorry you guys...I want to meet you all so bad....but if it were you...charlestown or disney...hehe I think we can all agree on one thing here! Hopefully there will be another meet later when I will have money, and maybe it will be closer to me so i wouldn't have to fly/spend more money. I am SO sad and deliberated about it for awhile, trust me...I am so sad about not being able to meet you all! AAHHH! :guilty:

Maggimus
02-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Heather I totally dont blame you-- go to Disneyworld and get that magical Honeymoon that you & Bobby deserve. It makes me really glad that you all are able to do that-- because you definately DO deserve it!! :hug:

lurkyloo
02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Heatherlynn - I'm just excited that you got the guy who once asked "Isn't WDW just like a big Six Flags?” to make plans to go back so soon! You are a lucky lady... :goodvibes

heatherlynn444
02-15-2007, 05:27 PM
maggimus and lurkyloo- thanks for the re-assurances! this just means yall will have another TR to read at the end of the year! haha. i do want to meet you all so bad though. maybe the next meet can be in New Orleans! I can play tour guide! :cheer2: haha. I know yall will have a great time and come back with all sorts of stories to tell! I am very excited about AKL, never been and reluctant to try something that is NOT the GF...so we shall see!

Maggimus
02-17-2007, 01:22 PM
:yay: bump

Cinderella Fan
02-17-2007, 04:00 PM
As of right now, BG and I still plan on coming.... We are really looking forward to meeting you all...:yay:

JJClemson
02-17-2007, 04:13 PM
We're definitely still planning on coming too :goodvibes I am still super-excited!

DisneyFairy19
02-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Told DF about the meet.. So count us both in...:cool1:

Kim10110
02-18-2007, 10:31 AM
i wont be able to make it :sad1: DH will be deployed and i will possibly be out of town with the military too. i hope to make the next one.

Maggimus
02-18-2007, 11:06 AM
i wont be able to make it :sad1: DH will be deployed and i will possibly be out of town with the military too. i hope to make the next one.

That stinks-- we will remember you though. Hopefully you can make it to the next one!:goodvibes

happylalagirl
02-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi Maggie, me and DH and Selena and the peanut (yet to be named) are in. As a matter of fact, Andrew has been talking about playing golf and getting excited about the trip. It will be our only big trip this year. At least that's what it looks like for now. Money is REALLY tight and with the baby coming, we know how expensive it was 11 years ago... I can only imagine what it's going to be like now... ;) But we are definitely coming to the meet. :-)

Can we make a final decision on a date? Should we just say Columbus Day weekend to make it easier for the teachers? I wouldn't have to take Selena out of school for 2 days... she falls behind in homework too easily.

JJClemson
02-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Columbus Day weekend works for us :goodvibes

Maggimus
02-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Yes I think thats our best bet... so its set.. Columbus Day weekend...

happylalagirl
02-20-2007, 11:15 AM
I was just looking up the dates for Columbus Day weekend... it is the first weekend in October. Columbus Day is on 10/8... so the weekend would be from 10/5 - 10/7 or 10/8 depending on whether everyone stayed until Sun or Mon. We are planning on staying until Mon, as of now anyway. ;) The hotel we looked at on Orbitz was Holiday Inn CHARLESTON-RIVERVIEW. The price is still $94.33/night. Pretty good if you ask me... especially for the location and it has a shuttle into downtown. :thumbsup2 Just wanted to let you all know that the prices I had posted earlier are actually the prices for the holiday weekend. :goodvibes Yay!!! :yay:

Cinderella Fan
02-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Columbus Day weekend works for us!

We are heading to WDW from Sept. 29-Oct 1.... I can't wait for 2 special weekends in a row! :goodvibes

JJClemson
02-20-2007, 01:00 PM
We are heading to WDW from Sept. 29-Oct 1.... I can't wait for 2 special weekends in a row! :goodvibes

You are? If we have ample funds (which is a big IF ;) ) we're going to be in WDW from Sept 26-30. Maybe we'll end up meeting 2 weekends in a row :goodvibes

Maggimus
02-20-2007, 01:13 PM
You are? If we have ample funds (which is a big IF ;) ) we're going to be in WDW from Sept 26-30. Maybe we'll end up meeting 2 weekends in a row :goodvibes

If Disney offers free dining in September then we may end up going (present to myself...;) DH doesnt know it yet)...

JJClemson
02-20-2007, 01:56 PM
If Disney offers free dining in September then we may end up going (present to myself...;) DH doesnt know it yet)...

Yeah, we'll only go if we can get a good AP rate at one of the Deluxes. DF has off from school Sept 26, 27, and 28. We thought that it would be nice to go and use our APs one last time. However, I'd need to take off time from work, and I don't even know where I'll be working... so that's why our plans are up in the air. That'd be fun though if a lot of us went. We could have 2 Dis meets :woohoo:

Cinderella Fan
02-20-2007, 03:12 PM
That sounds great Jen! We can meet there too!! Maggie, you should definately have your DH give that to you for your birthday! I am sure once he finds out it is WDW and how many other great people will be there (like me and Jen ;) ), he will be packing his bags!!! :lmao:

BTW - Last Labor Day (2006) we had a great rate of $130 / night (inc. taxes) at the WL!!:banana: :banana: I am hoping to get something like that again. Right now, we have $204/night at the WL...:scared1:

JJClemson
02-20-2007, 03:40 PM
BTW - Last Labor Day (2006) we had a great rate of $130 / night (inc. taxes) at the WL!!:banana: :banana: I am hoping to get something like that again. Right now, we have $204/night at the WL...:scared1:

No way! What kind of rate was that? DF and I want to stay at WL too :goodvibes

Cinderella Fan
02-20-2007, 03:44 PM
No way! What kind of rate was that? DF and I want to stay at WL too :goodvibes

It was an AP rate... It was really great. Have you ever stayed at the WL before?

This is so neat!

JJClemson
02-20-2007, 03:51 PM
It was an AP rate... It was really great. Have you ever stayed at the WL before?

This is so neat!

No, we've never stayed there and REALLY want to! We were going to stay there for our planning session, but it was booked for December by Aug of last year :eek: We always go to the WL though b/c we LOVE Artist Point, and we always say "we'll stay here next time". If they come out w/ that kind of AP rate again, I couldn't imagine not going! Do you remember when they came out w/ that rate?

SRUAlmn
02-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I wanna go to WDW in September too :(

We are definitely going to try to get the most out of our APs, so we are thinking about going in early August (if they do free dining) or over Labor Day weekend. We don't get any more days off after that until Thanksgiving :(

As for the AP rates, I'm waiting to see if any July rates come out so I can see if it's cheaper than our wedding rate (then we can add the dining plan.) They aren't out yet, but should be in the next 2 weeks, and I think the summer rates come out as a clump, so I'm guessing Sept rates wouldn't be out until April or May?

JJClemson
02-20-2007, 05:23 PM

We are definitely going to try to get the most out of our APs, so we are thinking about going in early August (if they do free dining) or over Labor Day weekend. We don't get any more days off after that until Thanksgiving :(

As for the AP rates, I'm waiting to see if any July rates come out so I can see if it's cheaper than our wedding rate (then we can add the dining plan.) They aren't out yet, but should be in the next 2 weeks, and I think the summer rates come out as a clump, so I'm guessing Sept rates wouldn't be out until April or May?

We were originally going to go over Labor Day weekend, but DF has a bike race we have to go to :rolleyes: I cannot believe the AP rates don't come out for that long! I guess I'll be sitting here, waiting patiently :rolleyes1

Cinderella Fan
02-20-2007, 06:12 PM

Karen - even with an AP rate, you can't add the DDP if you don't purchase a package (for example, you would still have to purchase 2 1-day tickets on your package to be able to have the Dining Plan... ). So, even if the room rate IS cheaper, you will have to factor in the price of the tickets....

Does that make sense??

As for APs, BG and I will definately get our use out of them. We puchased them in July of 06, and we will have 5 trips on those tickets. We also plan on renewing them, and we have 2 trips planned on those. If you go a lot, they are a great deal... :yay:

Cinderella Fan
02-20-2007, 06:18 PM
No, we've never stayed there and REALLY want to! We were going to stay there for our planning session, but it was booked for December by Aug of last year :eek: We always go to the WL though b/c we LOVE Artist Point, and we always say "we'll stay here next time". If they come out w/ that kind of AP rate again, I couldn't imagine not going! Do you remember when they came out w/ that rate?

Last summer, we came home from Disney in July. We weren't home for 2 weeks when we booked our trip for Labor Day...;)

We were trying to go for "cheap" (for B.G. that means NOT staying at the GF :rotfl: ) so, we decided to try the WL. It was so much fun!! I loved the leather sofas and chairs in the lobby. The view was amazing and we had a room that overlooked the lobby. It was in a great location - well, it was in a great location AFTER we realized we didn't have to walk 10 miles to get to an elevator!! ;) Also, it is in close proximity to the MK. Granted, there wasn't the Monorail, which we are used to, but we figured out how to manuever our days on the busses and boats.

All in all - the WL is a resort we are returning to! Which is something I can't say for some of the other WDW resorts......;)

Maggimus
02-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Last summer, we came home from Disney in July. We weren't home for 2 weeks when we booked our trip for Labor Day...;)

We were trying to go for "cheap" (for B.G. that means NOT staying at the GF :rotfl: ) so, we decided to try the WL. It was so much fun!! I loved the leather sofas and chairs in the lobby. The view was amazing and we had a room that overlooked the lobby. It was in a great location - well, it was in a great location AFTER we realized we didn't have to walk 10 miles to get to an elevator!! ;) Also, it is in close proximity to the MK. Granted, there wasn't the Monorail, which we are used to, but we figured out how to manuever our days on the busses and boats.

All in all - the WL is a resort we are returning to! Which is something I can't say for some of the other WDW resorts......;)

I am right there with you Angela--

I am in no way, shape, or form overly spoiled-- but some of disneys hotels have gone downhill. We stayed at the WL for our wedding/honeymoon (which was only a trip of many we have stayed there).

SRUAlmn
02-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Karen - even with an AP rate, you can't add the DDP if you don't purchase a package (for example, you would still have to purchase 2 1-day tickets on your package to be able to have the Dining Plan... ). So, even if the room rate IS cheaper, you will have to factor in the price of the tickets....

Does that make sense??

Yep! Makes total sense :) We have already figured it all out and factored the 2 tickets into the cost. We had determined that even with what we're paying now, we would spend less money on food to get the DDP + tickets, than to just keep it as is and use the DDE when we can. That means if we get an AP rate that's less, we should be in good shape. Thanks for the help!

Belle83007
02-20-2007, 11:56 PM
[/QUOTE]Yep! Makes total sense :) We have already figured it all out and factored the 2 tickets into the cost. We had determined that even with what we're paying now, we would spend less money on food to get the DDP + tickets, than to just keep it as is and use the DDE when we can. That means if we get an AP rate that's less, we should be in good shape. Thanks for the help!

Karen go to WDW over Labor day weekend I will be getting married on Aug 30th the thurs b4 labor day, you can come to my wedding:banana: :banana: :banana: