PDA

View Full Version : DVC Loan-Earning Disney Reward Dollars?

KandiB47
01-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Has anybody earned points by using their Disney Visa card to pay down on a DVC loan?

I've recently paid several payments toward my DVC loan on my Disney Dream Rewards Visa. I pay the Visa card off with my checking account right away but I wanted to earn the extra points. I sent a payment for $3000 last month but was only given 11 reward points :confused3

I think these 11 points came from the Christmas gifts I bought and not what I paid on the loan.

Dsnybob
01-23-2007, 07:21 PM
We paid off a DVC loan using the Disney Visa and received reward points. I don't see how Chase (the credit card company) could determine if these payments were different than a down payment or straight purchase. Is it possible that the payments were treated as a cash advance rather than a charge?

lbdpw1285
01-24-2007, 01:35 PM
i'm new to this posting stuff, hope i'm doing it right.
i am buying a resale thru TSS but i understand i cannot pay my deposit, final payment or closing fee with my disney visa card to rack up points.
i am so bummed out.

keliblue
01-24-2007, 02:07 PM
i'm new to this posting stuff, hope i'm doing it right.
i am buying a resale thru TSS but i understand i cannot pay my deposit, final payment or closing fee with my disney visa card to rack up points.
i am so bummed out.

Yes you can.. but you have to have a Visa Check, not your credit card if that makes sense.. I got on VISA web site and got a book of Convenience checks sent to me.

Mule2007
01-24-2007, 03:00 PM
I thought about this for awhile - decided to put the DVC purchase on my Amex card - their rewards are pretty good.

This gives me a few weeks to negotiate financing rates to pay off the amex card

Mule

Mtnman44
01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Isn't that treated as a cash advance? Plus would you get the increased rewards for Disney Spending?

Yes you can.. but you have to have a Visa Check, not your credit card if that makes sense.. I got on VISA web site and got a book of Convenience checks sent to me.

keliblue
01-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Isn't that treated as a cash advance? Plus would you get the increased rewards for Disney Spending?

I do get the rewards and It is considered a purchase (i didn't right the check to myself...lol) so you do not want to leave the balance there !!:eek: I just used it as a middle man to get the rewards then transfered the entire balance to a card that offered 3.9 % for life on Balance transfers

KandiB47
01-24-2007, 04:50 PM
I think credit card companies charge fees for using those checks so I doesn't make sense to me to pay money to earn points.

Mule2007
01-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Credit card companies charge the seller a processing fee -- the buyer is not charged a fee unless he carries a balance -- then they're charged a financing fee.

Mule

stampinshauna
01-24-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty sure we got the points when we did the same thing as the OP. Maybe it will show up on your next statement.

Mtnman44
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Except for balance transfers, every credit card check I've ever heard of qualifies as some kind of cash advance, even if they offer a "purchase" APR or other no fee deals. I've never heard of a rewards card that gives you rewards from writing checks. The reason is preceisely because they don't get the merchant fees and discount rate that they normally would from a merchant if it was a credit card transaction.

Otherwise, I'd pay everything each month via Credit Card checks, including my mortgage, in order to earn rewards.

lisah0711
01-24-2007, 06:20 PM
You may want to check the Chase site on your Disney VISA for how they give you points. I believe that you get one point (dollar) for every $100 spent (has to be paid off to get the point I think). So if you paid $3000 you would get 30 points when you paid it off. It seems to take a statement or two for things to flow through on mine.

Remember that once you transfer your reward points to a card you have one year to use them.

There is a forum on Disboards for maximizing your rewards VISA. I am still learning the DVC lingo and haven't advanced to that forum yet!

keliblue
01-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Except for balance transfers, every credit card check I've ever heard of qualifies as some kind of cash advance, even if they offer a "purchase" APR or other no fee deals. I've never heard of a rewards card that gives you rewards from writing checks. The reason is preceisely because they don't get the merchant fees and discount rate that they normally would from a merchant if it was a credit card transaction.

Otherwise, I'd pay everything each month via Credit Card checks, including my mortgage, in order to earn rewards.

All I know it that I wrote a visa check (it is considered same as a purchase).. was NOT charged anything and recieved my points.. and yes we do pay our mortgage (edit: DH just informed me.. No we don't ) as well as all house hold expenses..groceries, gas...etc.. and pay it off everymonth.. So far we have gotten 4 round trip ticket to WDW in a year and one car rental :yay:

Mtnman44
01-25-2007, 12:11 PM
PLEASE tell me what mortgage company you use that lets you pay your mortgage payments via credit card. I will start refinancing tomorrow! What visa miles card is this? I may want one of those too.

keliblue
01-25-2007, 12:29 PM
PLEASE tell me what mortgage company you use that lets you pay your mortgage payments via credit card. I will start refinancing tomorrow! What visa miles card is this? I may want one of those too.

My mortgage company is none of your business .. and has nothing to do with using Visa checks. The Miles card & Checks I use is "Capital One" No Hassle rewards Visa.. And I write a Visa Check every month to the mortgage company.. and pay it off every month. I am just funneling money thru and gaining the rewards. It is not for everyone especially if you tend to hold a balance on your credit cards.. I do not.

Mtnman44
01-25-2007, 03:28 PM
geez. sorry. I was just curious. You said " we do pay our mortgage thru out Visa Miles card " so I wanted to know about it. I see now you are actually talking about checks.

I'm still wondering how it all works becuase there is no way the issuer could afford to give rewards without the transaction revenues but hey, if you've found a way to make it work, great.

by the way, here is what the Capital One site says for all of its rewards cards:

"Reward applies to total net purchases only (purchases minus credits and returns). It does not include cash advances, transferred balances, purchase checks, access checks, convenience checks or traveler's checks. Rewards do not accumulate for fees of any kind, such as finance charges, late payment fees, annual fees and related service charges, unauthorized charges, and ATM transactions."

keliblue
01-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I am just telling you what we do and that we do get the miles on our card .... I will gladly double check with DH to make sure that I am not giving wrong information. :eek:

keliblue
01-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Just called DH cause it was driving me crazy !! Mtnman44 you are correct.. We DO NOT pay our mortgage with a Visa Check.:sad2: I could of sworn we did..

DH got a big laugh at my expense..:rolleyes1 and told me all those miles we have are from everyday house hold purchases and whatever else I manage to spend money on :rolleyes: We did however get the points on our Disney Visa for DVC.. maybe a promotion ?... go figure

KandiB47
01-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Wow this thread was completely hijacked :badpc:

calypso726
01-25-2007, 06:31 PM
We did use my Disney Rewards Visa to pay for our DVC. We just joined last month :banana: I just verified with Disney Rewards and we are getting the reward points for our membership purchase. The card is not paid off and won't be for a while :rolleyes1 When you make a purchase the points are not available to transfer on to the rewards card until the next billing cycle or at least that is what I am told.

kimberh
01-27-2007, 08:50 PM
I am glad this got straight. I use the Disney Visa and Capital One. I thought The REWARDS are for charges actually made with the credit card, not anything else. Sometimes there are some "Interest Free" Activities from Disney, Packages for trips, things like that. I pay mine off every month too, but when I have a 6 month Interest free appear, I utilize it. If you write a check and use it, you do not get any rewards points for that. I shread those, as soon as they come in. I have one of my DVC's that the monthy payment is applied to my Disney Visa, I pay that every month, earn Disney points on that. Paid all my dues with it etc....

MickeyFan84
01-29-2007, 07:52 AM
I am glad this got straight. I use the Disney Visa and Capital One. I have one of my DVC's that the monthy payment is applied to my Disney Visa, I pay that every month, earn Disney points on that. Paid all my dues with it etc....

Are you able to make your payment with the Visa, or just the dues? We're planning to pay our DVC purchase off over the next year and I'd love to use a credit card to make payments to earn those rewards.

TenThousandVolts
01-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Credit card companies charge the seller a processing fee -- the buyer is not charged a fee unless he carries a balance

Mule

It is usually reverse for convenience checks- the buyer pays the fee.

Are you able to make your payment with the Visa, or just the dues? We're planning to pay our DVC purchase off over the next year and I'd love to use a credit card to make payments to earn those rewards.
I would like to know this also- I have 12 payments on my DVC loan and I am set up for automatic debt from my checking acct. But if I could put that pymt. on my rewards card that would be great.

I know my mortgage company will not accept CC for payment- paying your mtg. with CC is the holy grail of rewards card transactions. I don't know anybody who has been able to do it- and believe me this subject has been discussed at length on the budget board- but I think the DVC loan may fall under a different classification.

I am pretty sure with dues- you can pay with CC (and get rewards) if you pay in 1 lump sum. If you want to pay monthly you may not use your CC.

CarolA
01-29-2007, 07:57 AM

You can pay on your loan on the website using your credit card. So that should work.

calypso726
01-29-2007, 10:05 AM
I paid the entire amount of the DVC membership with my Disney Visa. I applied for the Disney Visa several months ago when they were offering 0% interest on purchases until 2008. At the time I did not have a sufficient credit amount approved to pay the whole thing. :confused3 When I called to try and get a credit increase the representative gave me another option that would not involve running my credit again. :idea: She noticed that I had two other Chase credit card accounts. Disney Visa is a Chase account as well. So, she transfered my available credit from my two other accounts into the Disney Visa account. That gave me the credit limit increase I needed on the Disney Visa to make the whole purchase with no interest until 2008. :cool1:

Inkmahm
01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
We bought our 180 points add on at VWL last year using our Disney Visa and we are paying for our 200 points add on at VAK on Thursday. We get the 1% Disney Reward dollars and pay no interest because I'll pay the VISA bill the month that the points are charged.
Also, I believe the Reward dollars are available for use as soon as your statement is received, not when you pay your bill.

TenThousandVolts
01-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Also, I believe the Reward dollars are available for use as soon as your statement is received, not when you pay your bill.

With the Chase Disney Visa- this is 100% correct.

brasey
02-01-2007, 08:41 AM
I paid the entire amount of the DVC membership with my Disney Visa. I applied for the Disney Visa several months ago when they were offering 0% interest on purchases until 2008. At the time I did not have a sufficient credit amount approved to pay the whole thing. :confused3 When I called to try and get a credit increase the representative gave me another option that would not involve running my credit again. :idea: She noticed that I had two other Chase credit card accounts. Disney Visa is a Chase account as well. So, she transfered my available credit from my two other accounts into the Disney Visa account. That gave me the credit limit increase I needed on the Disney Visa to make the whole purchase with no interest until 2008. :cool1:

Calypso is right on the money. We paid our DVC in full back in Jan 06 on the Visa rewards card and paid off that bill by other means. I rec.the rewards and used them on a trip in August. I also had several cards through Chase and they will combine credit limits and close the other accounts if you want or need it.

Barb0829
02-02-2007, 07:27 PM
hmmm...interesting thread.
i thought that the reward dollards were not available until after the balance was paid off. i mean could someone technically purchase say a new TV for $2000 or whatever on their disney visa, get the reward dollards and a card, & then return the TV??? not sure if that is making sense, but i think it would be in CC company's best interest to give reward dollars aftter the balanace was paid off

kimberh
02-02-2007, 08:02 PM

I bought my DVC from Disney. Disney applies the payments every month to my Disney Visa. I pay the Visa every month.

MemoryMakers2669
02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I added my 130 pt SSR add on, in September last year. I had my guide pay the balance (we had paid the $500 down right away) after my billing cycle in November, on the 22nd. This put the $11,400K something on my December bill, which rolled over on the 21st. Payment wasn't due until January 15th...which I paid off. So, no interest paid on it, but I bought myself two months by doing it that way.

I also earned 114 Disney Rewards Dollars from the transacation, which I used while I was there in December. I went online on the 22nd and transfered them to my Rewards Card.

I am going to do the same with my AKV pts, have them charged on the 22nd of this month and I won't have to pay it until April 15th. The rewards $$ will be available on March 22nd.