PDA

View Full Version : Just need some empathy...

ducklite
01-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm covered in hives. I've gone through every bite I put into my mouth, and either there was cross contamination someplace (doubtful based on what I ate) or I've suddenly developed a new allergy. :sad1: It was bad enough that I slept with the Epi-Pen on my nightstand last night.

Allergies suck.

Anne

phillybeth
01-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Allergies suck.

Yup, they do. :grouphug:

dj2
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
i'm so sorry.

don't forget to check for environmental causes for the hives, too. new laundry soap? new clothing item? new cleaning product? or, new stress event?

hope they disappear soon!!

dj

ducklite
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
i'm so sorry.

don't forget to check for environmental causes for the hives, too. new laundry soap? new clothing item? new cleaning product? or, new stress event?

hope they disappear soon!!

dj

Nope to all. My environmental allergies make my eyes swell and itch (hayfever type symptoms) or go straight to my asthma. My food allergies do the hives thing.

No new stress either, just the same level as always. :eek: :headache:

Thanks!

Anne

shoegirl1020
01-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Maybe you shook someone's hand, etc. that had eaten the foods you are allegric too? That does suck. My ds gets hives all the time-we Can not pinpoint them either

ducklite
01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Maybe you shook someone's hand, etc. that had eaten the foods you are allegric too? That does suck. My ds gets hives all the time-we Can not pinpoint them either

Nope. Spent the day in my office with the door closed, no visitors, and went straight home, no stop for milk, gas, nothing.

Anne

mlill
01-23-2007, 11:44 AM
:hug: I'm really sorry! :hug: We have allergy problems over here, too. My daughter, Jordan is the one who gets hives! I'm sure you know this, but drink A LOT of water to flush your system. It can take 24-48 hours for the hives to completely go away, depending on the severity. It sounds like a food allergy to me. I hope you can find what caused them.

Take care,
Michelle

OneLittleSpark
01-23-2007, 12:56 PM
You may already know this one, but a warm bath with bicarbonate of soda in it can really relieve soreness and itching (provided you aren't allergic to bicarb, of course). I hope you feel much better soon, and I'm really sorry you're suffering :hug:

ducklite
01-23-2007, 07:38 PM
You may already know this one, but a warm bath with bicarbonate of soda in it can really relieve soreness and itching (provided you aren't allergic to bicarb, of course). I hope you feel much better soon, and I'm really sorry you're suffering :hug:

Thanks, I might try that. It's gotten really bad again over the past half hour. I'm seriously wondering if it's corn, I ate corn last night and then today with my lunch. Or the cooking spray that I spray on the grill before I BBQ, I made BBQ last night and tonight. Chicken last night, burgers tonight. and the timing is about the same between dinners both nights. Hmmm...

Anne

tacomaranch
01-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Anne, I am sorry you are suffering. Did you figure out what set them off? I hope you can figure it out so it doesn't happen again. I pray you feel better soon puppet~

diseyore
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM
My DD had this problem, but was from the allergy formula Fabreeze. She kept taking Benadryl for several days. It was horrible. She couldn't even sleep.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you!:cheer2:

Haley Whippet
01-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks, I might try that. It's gotten really bad again over the past half hour. I'm seriously wondering if it's corn, I ate corn last night and then today with my lunch. Or the cooking spray that I spray on the grill before I BBQ, I made BBQ last night and tonight. Chicken last night, burgers tonight. and the timing is about the same between dinners both nights. Hmmm...

Anne
Sorry you are covered in Hives, I get them form some Wines.
Feel better fast:yay:
Deb

SueM in MN
01-23-2007, 09:08 PM
hope you are feeling better.
I can't think of a worse feeling than having hives.:grouphug:

amyedreger
01-23-2007, 09:49 PM
I am so sorry you are itchy!!! We are currently struggling with hives and my two year old. She has had sporadic breakouts for the past four days. I had her at the doctor today and the doc thinks it might be a virus. :confused3 Of course, we are leaving for WDW in just over a week. Ugh. She has been on benadryl at night and now we have zyrtec since the benadryl makes her drowsy. She doesn't have allergies that we know of but if the hives keep up we will have to have her tested.

Have you tried Aveeno bath soaks? They do soothe her.

Poohnatic
01-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Anne,

Hope you figure it out. I've been there too many times to mention. If you don't have bicarbonate, do you have Aveeno around? With all the allergies and asthma in this house, I've always got a box of the stuff.

Suzanne

OneLittleSpark
01-24-2007, 06:01 AM
Sudden thought: it couldn't be a change of cleaning products at your office, could it? Might be worth looking into if all else fails.

Feel better :hug:

phillybeth
01-24-2007, 09:20 AM
I had a thought last night- something on the grill? Not the cooking spray, but something that was cooked previously. I've had mild reactions from food cooked on grills that had been previously used to cook seafood.

ducklite
01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Sudden thought: it couldn't be a change of cleaning products at your office, could it? Might be worth looking into if all else fails.

Feel better :hug:

Nope, the guy who cleans here is just a single guy who comes in twice a week and uses the products we provide. I'm a bit of a neatnick, and the only thing he ever does in my office is empty the trash and vaccuum every other week or so.

Anne

ducklite
01-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I had a thought last night- something on the grill? Not the cooking spray, but something that was cooked previously. I've had mild reactions from food cooked on grills that had been previously used to cook seafood.

NO, nothing else has been on it. My hives got really bad again last night about an hour after I ate. I had a hamburger on the grill.

So I'm leaning towards either the cooking spray, or the corn--I had the leftowvers in my lunch salad yesterday--yeah, I'm a moron. :rotfl2:

I took some Hydroxyzine this morning. It doens't make me quite as dopey as Benadryl, but it make sme a little dizzy and tired and spacey feeling.

I didn't want to take a bath last night because we've been dealing with a stopped pipe in the master bath, and I didnt' want to put that much water down at once until I was sure the Liquid Plumber stuff had cleared it up. Maybe tonight.

Anne

my3princes
01-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Allergies can appear out of nowhere. I have lived in Vermont all of my life and never had any issues until my freshman year in college. I had the flu for a week. The flu passed and I went back to my normal routine and suddenly found myself covered in hives. My ears and eyes were swollen. The doctors immediately suspected a food allergy. It took several weeks to determine that something in my body had changed and I am allergic to the Cold weather, well actually cold in general. Air conditioning, Cold Air, Ice etc. If my body gets to cold whatever area has been exposed reacts in hives. I've learned how to keep myself warm and how to have hot baths available whenever I might get colder than I expect. My point is that you could be reacting to something in your evironment that you have little control over and it may take time to determine what it is.

3DisneyNUTS
01-25-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm covered in hives. I've gone through every bite I put into my mouth, and either there was cross contamination someplace (doubtful based on what I ate) or I've suddenly developed a new allergy. :sad1: It was bad enough that I slept with the Epi-Pen on my nightstand last night.

Allergies suck.

Anne

Are you under alot of stress? My friend breaks out in hives when she is stressed out.

ducklite
01-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and suggestions. I'm not under any more stress than usual, so I don't think it's that. And I don't think it's environmental in nature for many reasons.

I was beat when I got home last night, so I had a bowl of Fruit Loops, second ingredient after sugar is Corn. Half an hour later I was covered in hives again. I'm going to avoid corn for a few days until this is all out of my system, then eat some corn and see what happens. I'm strongly suspecting that I've developed a corn allergy. Ugh! It's in EVERYTHING!

I'll let you know!

And I'm now covered in bruises from all the scratching--oh so attractive. :rolleyes: I look like I went three rounds with Tyson. Thank goodness I don't get them on my face, just my scalp and chin for some reason--not that I'm complaining!

Anne

tw1nsmom
01-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Eliminating the corn in your diet sounds like a smart experiment. However, what came to my mind first is the thought that you might be coming down with a virus. DD used to get hives whenever she had a virus, and I've heard that there are quite a few people getting hives from the viruses that are circulating this year. Whatever the cause, I hope they go away soon for you.

dj2
01-25-2007, 12:00 PM
well- i guess suggesting a cornstarch bath won't be the best option then...when i was a kid i found them soothing, but i don't want to think about the results if it IS corn you're allergic to!

be very careful to read everything if you're going to eliminate corn. it shows up everywhere!

you may need to go on a more formal elimination diet if it ends up not getting better with the elimination of the corn.

i'm so sorry you're not feeling well. i'm wishing you the best for a speedy resolution and good health!!!!!

arminnie
01-25-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm strongly suspecting that I've developed a corn allergy. Does this mean you won't be able to eat canned corn at WDW?:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry about your hives and potential allergy, but I just couldn't resist thinking about the "corn people" at WDW.

Goofyluver
01-25-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry! I have only had hives once...stress! So, don't forget to rule that out too.

ducklite
01-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Does this mean you won't be able to eat canned corn at WDW?:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry about your hives and potential allergy, but I just couldn't resist thinking about the "corn people" at WDW.

OMG!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: That is too funny! I had forgotten all about that thread until you had to go bring it up again! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I'm more likely to be hanging out with the KoRn people at WDW though... ;)

Anne

hematite153
01-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Good luck figuring it out.

My environmental allergies have changed, over time, with how they affect me.

It sounds like you might well be right about the corn, but you may want to also watch for all of your known allergies too.

Also, do you have any drug allergies? If so, it is possible that the meat you ate is responsible.

dj2
01-25-2007, 02:15 PM
OMG!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: That is too funny! I had forgotten all about that thread until you had to go bring it up again! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

ok--please give us the link--i want a good laugh, too....

OneLittleSpark
01-25-2007, 02:40 PM
I used to have a corn allergy when I was younger and I really can sympathise with you on this one, it was quite tough doing America with it (we don't use so much corn in our food in the UK, so it wasn't such a problem at home). Also, you've probably already thought of this, but look out for all the different names and forms it comes under.

I do hope you get better soon and figure out what the problem was :hug:

karynnix
01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
How are you feeling today??

ducklite
01-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Yesterday I completely avoided all corn based products. Special K and a banana for breakfast, salad with a no-corn balsamic dressing for lunch, and an Egg Beaters omlette with tomotoes, onions, and cheese for dinner. (When you're scrounging through the fridge and find Egg beaters getting ready to expire, it's breakfast for dinenr. :upsidedow :blush: )

I'm happy to say that while I still have a few small patches of hives which aren't all that itchy anymore, they are going away rather quickly at this point.

I'm going to avoid the corn again today, and then maybe have something with corn tomorrow to see what happens. I'm definitely leaning towards corn as the culprit.

I'll let you all know.

Anne

LindaBabe
01-26-2007, 11:58 AM
INTERESTING! And, of course, corn is another one of those "hidden in so many things" oil/thickener/binder items

arminnie
01-26-2007, 12:33 PM
ok--please give us the link--i want a good laugh, too....I'm pretty sure the thread has been lost in the old archives, but it originally involved a family spotted eating corn straight from the can - I think it was at MK sitting on the steps. The funny part was all of the takeoffs that people wrote about this - including one re-staging of the event with pictures.

ducklite
01-26-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm pretty sure the thread has been lost in the old archives, but it originally involved a family spotted eating corn straight from the can - I think it was at MK sitting on the steps. The funny part was all of the takeoffs that people wrote about this - including one re-staging of the event with pictures.

I'm afraid you're right that it's lost forever. It was one of those all-time classic DIS threads. :lmao: It was back in the days of talking about turkey legs actually being emu legs. :scared:

There was another one even longer ago about a family hacking up a watermelon with a large knife in the MK as well--although that might have been started as a RAD-P thread, so it might still be "findable" over there.

Anne

mbb
01-26-2007, 05:31 PM
....... we've been dealing with a stopped pipe in the master bath, and I didnt' want to put that much water down at once until I was sure the Liquid Plumber stuff had cleared it up. Maybe tonight.

Anne

The chemicals in drain cleaners might be part of the problem...

But it sounds like the corn is the culprit.

Feel better!

:sunny:

DVCDawn
01-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Corn. Man, that is a tough one. I'm lucky that my DD is simply peanut and tree nut allergic. I just keep thinking about how high fructose corn syrup is in everything.

Something to consider...My friend's son, who is allergic to corn, could not eat chicken or beef for awhile. This was not because he was allergic to chicken or beef, but to what the chicken and beef were fed -- CORN.

Sorry. This really stinks.

DVCDawn

Daydreamer64
01-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Just a thought - I react with hives when I'm around bug spray- could your work place have sprayed for insects lately? It wouldn't have to bother you just at work because coats and personnal belongings can pickup the residue and bring it home.

:surfweb:

vhoffman
01-26-2007, 11:37 PM
hi, Anne!

Hope you're feeling better now. I feel you've become a friend through your helpful posts on other threads, with so many helpful suggestions on cooking, diets, household budgeting, etc. I'm so sorry to hear about your hives.

I had a severe case of hives once--it was an allergy to a medicine. I had hives everywhere--even on the soles of my feet! I even had hives on top of hives--they seemed to be stacked on top of each other, sort of like a beehive! I went to the ER and they gave me an IV drip of cortisone, kept me overnight for observation, and sent me home with benedryl and prednisone. I hope your's isn't that bad! Good luck and stay in touch!:grouphug:

ducklite
01-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Just a thought - I react with hives when I'm around bug spray- could your work place have sprayed for insects lately? It wouldn't have to bother you just at work because coats and personnal belongings can pickup the residue and bring it home.

Nope, he comes every three months, and it was about two months ago when he was last there.

Anne

ducklite
01-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Happy to say that there's no more itching today. Still a few red welts, but they are growing smaller by the minute.

I'm going to have some corn with dinner tomorrow night and wee what happens. I'll let you all know. :scared:

Anne

hematite153
01-27-2007, 12:54 PM

Actually, this is a good thing to consider since FL drops pesticides from the air to control infestations.

Although it does sound like you've isolated the problem with corn. Good luck & I hope you are feeling better.

ducklite
01-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Actually, this is a good thing to consider since FL drops pesticides from the air to control infestations.

This is not done regularly, and generally only done over agricultural areas. I'ts not like our air is bombarded with pesticides each night.

Anne

hematite153
01-27-2007, 02:27 PM
This is not done regularly, and generally only done over agricultural areas. I'ts not like our air is bombarded with pesticides each night.

Anne

I wasn't trying to say it was regular (hence the word infestations) but I know that one drop, 50 miles away can mess with my breathing for weeks.

(I used to live in a pesticide-free city but the original ban ran out and I definitely have move asthma attacks than I used to even though usage is quite limited and not directly around me.)

Corn sounds harder though.

dj2
01-27-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm going to have some corn with dinner tomorrow night and wee what happens. I'll let you all know. :scared:

Anne

you're brave!

SueM in MN
01-27-2007, 06:42 PM
good luck on keeping the hives away

ducklite
01-27-2007, 06:53 PM
you're brave!

No, just freaking stupider than dirt. :lmao:

In all seriousness, I'd rather know and know what to avoid, then find out later. My allergies often begin suddenly, and get progressively worse. So if I find out now that it's the corn for sure, I can avoid it moving forward.

Anne

Poohnatic
01-31-2007, 02:02 AM
Anne,

How are your hives? I hope they're better, because now I'm head to toe in the nasty hives!

I suspect mine is from the Neurontin I've been taking for the past week. I sure hope not, but we'll see what the doctor says in the morning.

Suzanne

OneLittleSpark
01-31-2007, 08:48 AM
Poohnatic, I'm so sorry to here you're having problems now too. I do hope you feel better soon :hug:

Poohnatic
02-01-2007, 12:35 AM
OneLittleSpark, ends up the doctor and NP agree that mine were caused by the Neurontin. On to a new med.

Yes, this happens to me a lot-the medic alert bracelet has run out of room, but most of the things are not given on an emergency basis, thank God.

Suzanne

ducklite
02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Anne,

How are your hives? I hope they're better, because now I'm head to toe in the nasty hives!

I suspect mine is from the Neurontin I've been taking for the past week. I sure hope not, but we'll see what the doctor says in the morning.

Suzanne

I'm so sorry--you have my sympathy!

Mine are all gone. I still haven't had any corn except the dusting of corn meal I threw on the pizza pan the other day--it seems that doesn't even count as I only had one slice.

Hope you feel better soon!

Anne

roadtripper
02-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Anne--
I figured it out--
You gotta go out to eat! Your body is in rebellion from all the "stay at home and save some money" meals (a budget board thread for all you other readers!)--C'mon-- go to Applebee's! (or your vice of choice;) )

ducklite
02-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Anne--
I figured it out--
You gotta go out to eat! Your body is in rebellion from all the "stay at home and save some money" meals (a budget board thread for all you other readers!)--C'mon-- go to Applebee's! (or your vice of choice;) )

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I actually have had corn twice in the past few days--some Fruit Loops, and then I got really daring and had corn as a side.

No hives. :confused3

Now I'm wondering if it was something in the fiesta corn. A preservative maybe?

Weird.

Anne

hematite153
02-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm glad to hear that the hives are staying away and that you seem to be okay with corn (since it's tough to avoid).

Good luck figuring it out though.

OneLittleSpark
02-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm glad it's not corn (that one can be a real pig to cope with in the States), but I'm sorry that you're no closer to figuring it. Good luck :hug: