PDA

View Full Version : Need Transfered Points - Advice/Help wanted

Lisa0503
01-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Hello -

My husband and I have been DVC owners for about 7 years now but we have never rented/transfered and never wanted to because it seemed like such a hassle. We also always use our points so we never needed to.

Anyway, a good friend of mine has always heard me raving about DVC and she would like to see it for herself. Her family is going to Florida for a Wedding in April and would like to try a 2 bedroom at OKW the 22-27. When I called MS last week they said there was plenty of availability and it would be 150pts. Well, DH and I have already made vacation plans for all our points so we can't help her. I directed her to this boards but she is so overwhelmed she doesn't know where to begin about renting points so I told her I would help her out by finding someone who would transfer the points to me so I could make/handle her ressie. Now I am wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew. I have been reading threads about transfering points and it all seems so confusing to me.

Can someone please help me....What do I need to know about transfering points before I try to find someone to get the points from? If it makes any differance, we have contracts at BWV & SSR with an Oct use year...

CarolMN
01-21-2007, 11:11 AM
The first thing to do is make sure your friend understands what she is getting - the main thing is that once the points are transferred to you, there are no refunds. (I'd get the money up front). I'd also explain about the housekeeping and make sure she understands occupancy and the bed set up.

If youhaven't already, read allof the Sticky threads at the top of the Rent/Trade Forum. Then post your request according to the guidleines. Before you send money, do a little research on the other owner to make sure you are comfortable. Most report that they ask for one half the cost before the transfer and the rest after the transfer is made.

Since April is less than 7 months away, it really doesn't matter what use year or what resort the points come from. Just make sure that MS puts them in the proper use year of your contract so that they are valid for the OKW reservation in April.

If it were me, I'd make the reservation as soon as the transfer is completed.

Good luck!

BillM
01-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Lisa
If I was in your place I would not jump through all the hoops and having points transferred into your account and then tryinig to make a ressie. By the time you got the transfer done the OKW villas might be gone.
Instead your friend should go to the rent board and post her dates and desire for a 2 BR at OKW, negotiate the price and have the renter member make the ressie.
At this stage of the game she would probably have to pay the member up front. But that is negotiable also.

Lisa0503
01-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Before you send money, do a little research on the other owner to make sure you are comfortable. Most report that they ask for one half the cost before the transfer and the rest after the transfer is made.How do most members want payment? Would she have to send them a check :confused3 I have seen some post about paypal but don't really understand how that works... (forgive my ignorance...I really have no experience with this) Also, how do you do research on the other owner? Do you ask for referances?

Lisa
Instead your friend should go to the rent board and post her dates and desire for a 2 BR at OKW, negotiate the price and have the renter member make the ressie. That is what I told her at the begining but she has been dragging her feet about doing. She wants to stay at OKW but she is just so intimidated by the rent/trade boards knowing almost nothing about DVC. I finally told her I will help her out as she would really just rather have me deal with everything for her. She is kind of afraid to deal with 'strangers'. Since I have been on the boards for awhile now....Disser feel more like family to me :thumbsup2

A few other questions I have... what do I need to know from her to make the ressie? I know I need the names of all her family staying in the room but do I also need their birthdays? Since I would be making the ressie for her, I assume I have to arrange Magical express for her...does that mean they would send her luggage tags to me? My friend does want the DDP (I know everyone on the ressie has to get it and it is paid for when they check into the resort but can they make their own ADR's?

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

SusanU
01-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I just successfully got some transferred to my acct for a friend. It took me almost a week. OKW is usually the easiest to get into, but right before you have the points transferred you can be on a conference call with MS and make sure it is still available before you go through with the transfer. Most members on the Rent/Trade Board are happy to help. I had 3 people contact me and while one had pts that would expire before June so could not use them, the other 2 were eager to help. I did not get a response from my message of wanting a transfer, but I e-mailed or PM'd members who advertised enough points. One hint: look at others posts and sometimes a member has responded to them. Several were asking more than the $10 per pt, but I paid $10.50 because I used Paypal w/cc. While we did use Paypal, I am sure most members will accept other methods of payment and know I have done so in the past. Sometimes 1/2 down and final pymt. when confirmation is received.

Magical Express tags will come to you as well as the confirmation. I make a copy of everything before I send/give it to the person. You can call MS later with names and ages, but will have to have address & phone of main person in order to make the reservation. You can make the Dining Plan request,(have to in advance) and they can pay at checkin. Everyone has to do it for every night of ressie. It really is not as much of a hassle as it sounds. SusanU

Lisa0503
02-26-2007, 08:03 AM
OP here!!!!

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice. It was actually a very easy thing to do. From the time I posted I was looking for points, I had them transfered and the reservation made for my friend 4 days later. :cool1: There was an element of trust since I did everything via e-mail & IMing with the other owner and we did not bother with a contract and I paid 100% up front but it worked out great!!! Thanks so much.