PDA

View Full Version : Banking and Borrowing question / Please help....


bradpga
01-19-2007, 11:50 AM
I am sure you guys are tired of seeing post on this subject, BUT I talked to MS yesterday and I am still confused. I consider myself well educated on most topics concerning DVC , but I can't grasp this. Here is my scenerio...
I banked my 2006 points (90 points) with a Sept. use year. I have a November trip scheduled for 2007. After banking my points I had a total of 240 points. 159 points will be used in November. If I am not mistaken, the 90 points from 2006 will be the first used. NOW HERE IS THE TRICKY PART (for me anyway)....
We are considering a May 2007 trip to Disney at OKW. The point total is 50 points. I would have to borrow the banked points in order for this to happen. Am I borrowing from 2006 or 2007?WHAT IF I book this ressie and have to cancel due to an unforseen circumstance? What is the stipulation on cancelling (outside of 31 days) borrowed points? Will these points go back into the bank and have until 2008 to use them OR do they need to be used by Sept. 2007? :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 Or am I totally off base???

dis-happy
01-19-2007, 12:06 PM
You cannot borrow banked points. If all of your 2006 points were banked into 2007 you'll have to borrow regular 2007 points (if you have any left over after making your other reservations for post Sept. 2007 which it sounds like you do).

If you cancel 31 days out you'll have until Aug. 31st 2007 to use the points. You won't be able to put them back into Sept. 2007 once they've been borrowed.

bradpga
01-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification. So, if I can't make the trip and can not make ressies before Aug. 31st 2007, what do you reccomend I do? Keep the May ressie and sell it OR cancel the ressie and rent the points? Sounds like it would be a short notice either way.

CarolMN
01-19-2007, 04:53 PM
If it were me, I'd probably cancel the May reservation rather than try to rent it out. Assuming you'd be able to cancel at least 31 days prior to scheduled arrival, it doesn't really leave much time to find a renter and negotiate terms. May isn't all that far away anymore. I wouldn't like to risk my points going into the holding account.

FWIW, it really isn't too tough to make summer reservations, so IMHO you'd have a good chance of finding a renter and completing the transaction before the points expire.

Good luck - hope you don't end up cancelling because that would be the best solution, LOL.

Dean
01-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the clarification. So, if I can't make the trip and can not make ressies before Aug. 31st 2007, what do you reccomend I do? Keep the May ressie and sell it OR cancel the ressie and rent the points? Sounds like it would be a short notice either way.Keep the reservation unless you get to the 31 day window. If you get a person you want to rent to, you can always cancel the May trip and on the same call use the points to make a different reservation for the rental. Say you had someone you wanted to rent to for the exact same points but different dates that those points would work for. You'd call MS and ask if it's available, if it is, you'd simply tell them you wanted to cancel the May reservation and use those points for the new reservation.