PDA

View Full Version : points to rent question?

Tinker74
01-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi...we just bought in 320 points at SSR.:) ..we have been given December use year so therefore we have 320 2006 points and we will get our 2007 in december this year.

My question is about renting these points out. We already have a trip planned and paid for to POFQ in August. Plus summer 2008 we are probably going to stay with friends in CAnada. (we are in UK) ...so we won't really need to use our points till 2009..(we will use December 2008 points)

So...Can I rent out the points now? I don't get this years points till december so can I "borrow" them and make them 2006 points?? Enabling me to rent them out now?

If I borrow them does that mean they expire on december 1st this year?

Tinker74
01-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Plus if I can do this that will mean I have 640 points to rent....how easy will it be to get "rid " of them:) ...can I break it down for renters ? Say if one person wanted 100 and another 50 etc etc??Till I run out?

keliblue
01-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Subscribing

keys2kingdom
01-18-2007, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Tinker74;16483651] We already have a trip planned and paid for to POFQ in August. [QUOTE]

Why not cancel POFQ and stay at your new home? Get a refund and you'd have a nice chunk of change for spending money. You could pay for the DDP and your park tickets and still have money left over probably.

Tinker74
01-18-2007, 02:54 PM
We thought about cancelling...but we got a really good package deal here in the UK...free dining for two weeks!!:banana: ...So we really want to keep it.
We would have waited and bought in next year but the friends and family promo was coming to an end so we bought now.:)

salmoneous
01-18-2007, 03:23 PM
I think the term "renting points" confuses a lot of people. Don't think of it that way. What you are doing is making a reservation, and then charging somebody to use that reservation. Anything you can do with your points to make a reservation for yourself, you can do for a rental - borrow, split, etc.

There is also the option of transferring the points to another member. This is much simpler from your standpoint, but you only get one a year.

Tinker74
01-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Ahhh..I think I see. I know that for myself i could "borrow the points from next year..so therefore i can do that for renting purposes because its still me making the ressie.....Iam just putting it in someone elses name.:)

And that also must mean that Yes i can break down the points and use 50 for John and 120 for Jane or son on ...because i would be able to "break down " my points for myself. Ie..50 points in march at SSr ..and 100 points in July at OKW.
I think I get it now.:thumbsup2

CarolMN
01-18-2007, 03:38 PM
My advice -

Try to transfer all of your 2006 points to another member. This is a one transaction deal and you won't have to hassle with making a reservation for anyone else. FWIW (my opinion), most problems with renting happen when there is either a new owner or a first time renter involved.

If you can't make that happen by mid-May, then bank 100% of your 2006 points. Find a renter who wants to go between December 1, 2007 and 11/30/2008. THe earlier in the use year that you make the reservation, the better - if you renter has to cancel, you and they will have longer to "reschedule". And if you have to go this route, you will theorectically be more experienced (because you will be a frequent reader/contributor to the DIS DVC Forums and get smarter faster, LOL).

Good luck!

Tinker74
01-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks Carol.:thumbsup2 ...Thats really helpful.
Now I just have to decide weather to rid myself of points or not..;) ...Iam tempted to hold onto them for myself and persuade DH to take an extra vacation next year.:)

Tinker74
01-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh ..had to post again quickly I was on 666 posts..:scared:

CarolMN
01-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks Carol.:thumbsup2 ...Thats really helpful.
Now I just have to decide weather to rid myself of points or not..;) ...Iam tempted to hold onto them for myself and persuade DH to take an extra vacation next year.:)That would be my first choice by a long shot - hope your DH is not hard to convince!