PDA

View Full Version : I'm just so confused!

mamawanavacation
01-18-2007, 12:45 AM
I admit, I've only just started looking into the DVC tonight, but I feel so overwhelmed! Is there a brochure or pamplet I can order that explains everything in full detail? I did look at the faq page, but there are still a zillion things unanswered. Off the top of my head I have these questions, hopefully someone can graciously answer for me. First of all, not sure if you need this, but just incase, we are a family of 7....2ad, 5 kids, so we need a two bedroom.

1. If we bought into the saratoga springs promo going on now and then later bought points at the akw when they open, would I be able to combine the points at one stay? and if so, let's say I want to stay at the akw, would I be able to book 11 months in advance and use the saratoga points at the akw if I use the akw points as well? Even though some of the points are saratoga?

2. I've read that it's better if you're goint to buy more points in the future to buy at other locations rather than only one. Why is that?

3. Does the yearly maintenance fee vary with each resort? If I were to buy points from two different resorts, I have to pay a yearly maintenance fee at each resort right? If the fee is the same at every resort, what is it?

4. Will the amount of points needed for a room ever increase? Will the value of the points decrease?

5, How many years are the points good for?

6. Are there any clauses for when/if they go out of biz or sell the resort or if they can simply revoke the whole point system, refunds if we don't get our full 50 years, etc. (that one is my dh question, lol)

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.
Jan

rogerram
01-18-2007, 01:32 AM
let me see if this will help
1. you can only book at AKV at 11 month with the points from AKV. SSR is for SSR at 11 months. There are a few ways around this I have heard of.
2. I don't see why it would be better to buy at other resorts, unless you buy enough points for your stay there at 11 months out. Maybe to alternate between years at 2 resorts.
3. The dues are different cost per point, with SSR the lowest and Vero the highest and everywhere else between.
4. the room points stay the same with the exception being holiday weeks from year to year .ie Easter week. Points seems to go up in value, but eventually they will go down when you get close to the end date in 2054 with SSR and 2042 with the other DVC resorts.
5.SSR until 2054, every other right now is 2042. Unkown what AKV will be.
6.there may be some kind or safety, but I don't know for sure. It is highly unlikely Disney will close this down.

I sent you a PM and Please PM me if you need a referral for the current promotion and goodluck,
Roger

CSUFSteve
01-18-2007, 02:54 AM
let me see if this will help
4. the room points stay the same with the exception being holiday weeks from year to year .ie Easter week. Points seems to go up in value, but eventually they will go down when you get close to the end date in 2054 with SSR and 2042 with the other DVC resorts.

This confused me. I thought the total amount of points for a resort could never change. So if holiday period points go up, as you say, then some other period must come down, right?? Least that's what I understood. To have unchecked power to raise Holiday Seasons to whatever they happen to feel like seems ripe with implications to me.

Dina
01-18-2007, 06:44 AM
This confused me. I thought the total amount of points for a resort could never change. So if holiday period points go up, as you say, then some other period must come down, right?? Least that's what I understood. To have unchecked power to raise Holiday Seasons to whatever they happen to feel like seems ripe with implications to me.

Yes if holiday points go up, they must go down somewhere else. I think Rogerram is saying (I apologize if I am wrong), that though once we buy the points their value will remain the same, so the number of points you buy now will give you the same vacation in 2050 as it will in 2007, the resale value of points should continue to rise (a good thing, obviously should you sell), however as we approach 2054, the value will drop since people will not want to pay alot of money for points they can only use for a few years.

rogerram
01-18-2007, 07:59 AM
you are right. I guess I should have said that if easter week this year is one week, then it would be more points and less for the same week next year if easter week fell on a different week. The total points for a resort does not change, but some weeks can change year to year, depending on when the holidays fall. Sorry for the confusion.

WebmasterDoc
01-18-2007, 08:16 AM
While DVC does have the ability to reallocate the point charts (if some nights are raised, others must be lowered), the reality is that this has occured only once - 1996 for OKW. At that time a few nights were raised, a few were lowered and most saw no change at all.

I think what was being suggested here is that the actual dates for Easter and Thanksgiving do change each year - thus the points for those "seasons" change each year - but this does not affect the point charts otherwise.

Call 1-800-800-9100 and ask for the free video and information packet.

Enjoy! :)

LisaS
01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Here is a link to a chart of the dues per point at each resort as well as the annual increases: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rb/DIS/DVC/DVCDuesHistory.htm

As mentioned, SSR contracts have a later expiration date (Jan 31, 2054). Contracts at the other resorts expire Jan 31, 2042.

3DisneyKids
01-18-2007, 12:50 PM
You can also take the tour online. Call the 1-800 number that Doc listed above and they will help you get the ball rolling.

The reason you are so confused is because you actually already know more of the "detailed" stuff and don't the basics yet...and yeah, it is enough to make your head swim.

Get the dvd. Do the online tour. That will cover the basics. Then come here and ask questions (and use the search thread liberally, as everything has likely been asked hundreds of times :goodvibes we were all new once).

Best wishes as you make your decision. We are here to help.

fishermouse
01-18-2007, 12:56 PM

The total amount of points per year will not change, seasons and dates can. If the second week of January becomes a hot date they can move that week to a different season right now the month of January is adventure. If they move a week to Magic they must take a weeks worth of magic dates and make them adventure. Hope this makes sense to you. The biggest change you'll see is usually Easter since it's a different date every year, Easter week will always be Premier but the date changes.

mamawanavacation
01-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Thank you so much for everyone taking the time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate it. I'm glad to know there is a dvd that will explain things better for me. I'll order that, then go from there.

Regarding my question number 4. Let's say you need 314 points to stay for a week in a two bedroom villa at Board Walk during the month of May in 2007. Will you still only need 314 points to stay there for a week in May in 2035? Or do they up the points needed, so I would eventually have to keep buying more points?

Thank you so much for you help!
Jan

Chuck S
01-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Regarding my question number 4. Let's say you need 314 points to stay for a week in a two bedroom villa at Board Walk during the month of May in 2007. Will you still only need 314 points to stay there for a week in May in 2035? Or do they up the points needed, so I would eventually have to keep buying more points?

Technically, it can change, meaning the points could go up during that season, and down in another season. However, as Doc mentioned, such a reallocation has only happened once in DVC, at OKW in 1996. Studios were 69 points for an entire week in a studio during values season. Studios are now 80 points during value season. There was a lowering of points for another season or unit type.

The overall number of points represented on a points charts for the entire year can not change, but 1 bedrooms can go up, and 2 bedrooms go down, or one season could go up, and another season down.

But again, this has only happened once in 15 years at OKW, and the adjustments were relatively minor. Unless there is a dramatic shift in overall vacation habits and demand by members, I doubt we'll see another reallocation, unless they even out points as we get very close to the end of the contract life. Personally, I think they will suspend banking and borrowing near the end of the contracts rather than reallocate the point charts.