PDA

View Full Version : Considering buying at my age?

L8blumr2
01-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Hello all, I'm 44, married with 4 sons, ages 23, 20, 18 (currently on College Program), and 15. I'm thinking of buying (finally have the cash!) and have been for a while. Of course, I feel I'm not the right "age" (should have done it while they were little). My family is in a state of transition with the boys getting older and having their own lives...working, going to school, moving in and out of the house! :)

I'm interested in hearing from those who have bought at a similar time in their lives. I realize that most folks on this board will say that it was the best decision for them, but maybe I just need that push! It's also hard for me to decide what points we would need because we are in "transition". Not everyone goes on all vacations anymore.

Thanks for your input!

WDWorld2003
01-17-2007, 09:51 AM
We purchased in 2003 when our DD's were 15 and 13 and we were 47. We took two trips together as a family. Life has changed with the oldest in college and different spring breaks, school trips, etc. Last year I took my younger DD and a friend and this year I will be doing the same. DH is staying at home with the dog! (actually he is taking a ski trip earlier and can't get the time off).

One of the best parts is I feel I have a place to bring my DD's that I feel comfortable going to alone. We have transportation, entertainment and a nice place to stay. As far as timeshares, this is one that works well for us as our schedules will never be the same and we can go for 1 night or 10 nights in different accommodations to suit our needs.

If you enjoy Disney and think you will for years to come it could be the right fit. You may try renting points to see if you like it (we bought sight unseen - I still can't believe that - it really isn't like us! :rolleyes:).

eva
01-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Well, we bought when our girls were teenagers. So we weren't quite as old when we purchased. But I have to say, that we enjoy the points just as much (maybe more) now that our girls are grown and in their own places. Our daughters are now 22 and 24. We do plan on including them on some trips, especially now that I have a 1 year old grandaughter. But we still take the majority of our trips just the two of us. If you and your spouse still plan on going to WDW at least every other year, it is really a no brainer. And you never know when you might have grandchildren to take to WDW. We have 400 points and they are perfect for our travel needs. It pays for a couple weeks in a 1-bedroom each year or a week in a grand villa for the whole gang. With banking and borrowing you can really customize the type of accomodations and length of your trip each year.

phorsenuf
01-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Hello all, I'm 44, married with 4 sons, ages 23, 20, 18 (currently on College Program), and 15. I'm thinking of buying (finally have the cash!) and have been for a while. Of course, I feel I'm not the right "age" (should have done it while they were little). My family is in a state of transition with the boys getting older and having their own lives...working, going to school, moving in and out of the house! :)

I'm interested in hearing from those who have bought at a similar time in their lives. I realize that most folks on this board will say that it was the best decision for them, but maybe I just need that push! It's also hard for me to decide what points we would need because we are in "transition". Not everyone goes on all vacations anymore.

Thanks for your input!

My DH and I bought last year under the same promotion they are running now. At the time my kids were 13,15,18 and 22. We love going to Disney and know that we will for many years to come and cannot wait for the day we can take our grandchildren.

The first trip we took was just DH and I, no kids. We had never done that before and we had so much fun. It was more relaxing and we got to enjoy the resort more because we were not doing all the things the kids like to do. We slept in, had nice leisurely dinners. It was wonderful!

The next trip we have planned is a family vacation with the kids and my oldest son, who is returning from Afghanistan and his new wife who have never been to Disney.

If we did not own DVC we wouldn't be able to do this in such a nice way.
Owning DVC later in life does has it's advantages because most people are more financially secure and do not always have to work around school shedules. We are looking forward to spending many many years enjoying DVC.

Even though some say it's not the best use of points we are looking forward to a cruise someday too.

1000th happy haunt
01-17-2007, 10:10 AM
My husband and I (we're empty nesters) bought in 2005, and we're both in our 50s.

dianeschlicht
01-17-2007, 10:14 AM
DH and I were 51 and nearly 50 when we purchased, and now we are 61 and nearly 60. Definitely not a mistake for us! We LOVE it! Our kids were grown then, and now we have one pushing 40, but they still enjoy coming with us as well.

deedeetoo
01-17-2007, 10:31 AM
We just bought in and I am 46 and DH is 51. Our kids are only 8 and 5 so maybe that outweighs the age thing, but we expect to keep going on a regular basis even after the kids have grown. We like WDW with or without kids (and yes we went before we had kids).:)

You are only as old as you feel.

coasterbob
01-17-2007, 10:34 AM
My husband and I (we're empty nesters) bought in 2005, and we're both in our 50s.

WE bought in Dec '05, and we also are "almost" empty nesters...:) We are 60 and 51 , but feel we get younger every trip we take to see the MOUSE...:cool1: We will, of course, pass this wonderful place to our kids and grandkids.

Bob

Starr W.
01-17-2007, 10:40 AM
We're 43 with kids 10 & 5 and are patiently waiting for them to grow up so we can go without them! ;)

sarac
01-17-2007, 10:58 AM
With Starr W. HA! We are 40 with kids 11 and 6. We just purchased this week!

saratogagirl
01-17-2007, 11:37 AM
I say go for it !!

tomandrobin
01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I bought last year at the age of 40. Our kids are 13,15 & 21. We enjoy going to the parks with and without the kids. Disney is so much more to do and offer then just ride the rides. We enjoy taking the kids too, but I think its more for us then them! We have three small trips planned for the two of us and one family trip planned for end of October (food & wine festival). If you love going to Disney, with or without the kids, go for it!

disneybass
01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Just bought in Nov. of last year at age 54. We are empty nesters also, but still have 2 kids at home!!:thumbsup2

vandy
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
We are 46 & 45 and just bought. Looking to trips with our grown kids. Looking at future trips with grandkids and staying in one place (grand villa). Looking at going for just the two of us (anniversaries). Looking at using points for other travel & cruises. In other words no matter what your age, if you like going to the Mouse and don't care to stay in the Value resorts, then this offers a relaxing atmosphere, lots of space and tons of flexibility.

bobbiwoz
01-17-2007, 02:30 PM
We bought when we were both in our late 50's and celebrated DH's 60th birthday with a 3 night DCL cruise on points and a night at VWL. We have added on points because we love WDW and DVC and our DGC have just become old enough to join us with their parents on extended family vacations.

Owning DVC has been a very positive and worthwhile experience for us.

Bobbi:goodvibes

50 years Too!
01-17-2007, 03:24 PM
We just bought last year at the ages of 50 and 51. Our kids are 20 & 17.
Our oldest daughter is a Disney Fanatic and will probably always be glad to use our points. I am also looking forward to treating grandchildren. Have a best girl friend from college living in Ft. Lauderdale. Instead of always staying with her, I can treat once in a while in Orlando. Hope to be using my DVC for at least 30 more years! If not, my kids, or their kids.
Go for it!:thumbsup2

Disney Anna
01-17-2007, 04:59 PM
My aunt and uncle just bought in and they are 66 and 58 years old respectively, no kids. They just love it. They have the time of their lives.

castleri
01-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Bought first contract at age 54 and third one at age 59. Have had DH and I trips, trips with grown children and young grandchildren, trips with other relatives and trips with grown children and 20 yo DGD just in this past year. There is no way to tell you how many points you need. It all depends on how often you plan to travel, how big your groups might be and what time of year you want to travel. Use the trip calculators and plan out some trips that you think you might do and that can give you a better picture. If you plan to go every year you will need more points than if you go every 2 or 3 years and can plan around banking and borrowing. Good luck with you decision.

Didney Daddy
01-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Disney is for kids of ALL ages. If you love Disney and plan on going every year or two yourselves - jump in. You are still very young at 44, that is at least 40 years of Magic in front of you.

Mtnman44
01-17-2007, 06:17 PM
:thumbsup2

He He

We're 43 with kids 10 & 5 and are patiently waiting for them to grow up so we can go without them! ;)

letsgodisney
01-17-2007, 06:36 PM
We have 2 boys, 14 and 11 and I have to say DH and I enjoyed going to Disney b/4 children so I can't imagine that we would not enjoy going even more with our grandchildren. We eventually wanted our children to have a little piece of Disney.......How can you go wrong with that right

http://www.imageup.biz/uploads/230f9251f6.jpg (http://www.imageup.biz/)

paults
01-17-2007, 06:37 PM
hey your 1st post welcome to the Dis.

DW and I bought in 2002 at 54/56 and our kids were 24/26 and they still go with us but in there own rooms:lmao:

Evil Princess
01-17-2007, 06:48 PM
I just got back from the College Program. I'm 21, my brother is going to be 19and my sister is 15.

We just bought into DVC while I was a CM in September, and everyone in my family is so excited about it. Actually, we just booked our first trip "home" for May, and we all can't wait. (Though, we're not going home, we're going to WL villas, but I suppose that works too!)

I don't know if they're still running the promotion, but we got QUITE the deal with the cast member discount. Honestly, too good of a deal to pass up.

We vacation at Disney about every other year or so, sometimes more, and we figured it would pay for itself in 5 years with the amount of points we bought.

If your family consists of a bunch of Disney geeks like mine (which it probably does if your son is on the CP), go for it!

CarolA
01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Well I bought several years ago, but I am older then you with no kids and I love my DVC.

L8blumr2
01-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for all of your responses! I keep thinking back to the time that I became completely enamored...I accompanied DH on a business trip for a week, staying at POR and not visiting any parks! We toured other Florida attractions, but not one Disney park! And I still ccouldn't get enough!

Since then, we taken the boys and they love it! The oldest also completed the Careerstar program. So I guess we are Disney "geeks" and, yes, the discount is really influencing my decision.

I'm calling tomorrow!!!

coasterbob
01-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all of your responses! I keep thinking back to the time that I became completely enamored...I accompanied DH on a business trip for a week, staying at POR and not visiting any parks! We toured other Florida attractions, but not one Disney park! And I still ccouldn't get enough!

Since then, we taken the boys and they love it! The oldest also completed the Careerstar program. So I guess we are Disney "geeks" and, yes, the discount is really influencing my decision.

I'm calling tomorrow!!!

Good for you!!! :goodvibes I'm glad you decided to take the plunge! I sent you a PM with some information....

Bob

PamOKW
01-17-2007, 09:45 PM
I think you're probably about the "right" age to purchase. While it's true it would be great for young families to buy, many of them don't have the money and/or need the money to buy houses, etc. The original folks who bought DVC were more grandparents than parents. WDW and DVC are great for families and someday you may have your grandkids down for family reunions. But it is also a wonderful vacation for singles and couples!

Buckalew11
01-17-2007, 10:20 PM
We bought this past year at 41 and 46. Our only DD is 12. I vote "go fo it" if you love WDW. DH and I just returned from our first trip to OKW (w/o DD) and it was a wonderful trip for us!

Ms.Mouse
01-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I think you should go on ahead and buy in too. I'm 47 and my husband is 50 and we have two grown kids (28, 27) and a grand kid (5). My husband and I have decided we'd go to WDW once or twice a year and then bring our family ... daughter, 28; son, 27; grandson, 5; and son's fiancee, 22 with us once a year in addition to our trips. They all love Disneyworld and find plenty to do while down there. Your "kids" may have lots of fun there also.

Tigger1
01-17-2007, 10:47 PM
With 5 children, ages 16 to 25, I should buy more points. I think at least one will always go with me to Disney every year if they can. In fact, I can not imagine going without them. Once I get grandchildren I will get to go on so many of the rides the others think they are to old for. I will also have grandchildren that are thrilled to do charactor dining. The last charactor dining my kids went to they were very annoyed when I had to go back to the car to get the camera. It was not like our table was ready yet.

The more I think of it the more points we will need.

Go for it.

magicmama
01-17-2007, 11:17 PM
I was 50 when I bought DVC. My son was in the college program. His discount was a HUGE influence in making the decision! With the promo at the time + his discount, it was way too good to pass up! It made it affordable for us and has given us opportunites that we would not have otherwise. Empty nest now and No regrets! I plan to go with or without the grown kids.

You'll find that it's great to experience the magic no matter what age you are!
Go for it!

pixiedust:

ACDSNY
01-17-2007, 11:39 PM
I wanted to buy in when our kids were younger, but we didn't feel we could afford to. When we finally purchased in 2005 I was 43 and DH was 48. Our children were in college. We're looking forward to many years of magic with our children and grandchildren.

My only advice would be to break up your points into some smaller contracts in case you decide you don't need so many later on or you decide to give some to your children. The smaller contracts are much easier to sell.

lexib
01-17-2007, 11:50 PM
We just bought this week, my DH is 46 I am 45, our oldest son graduates college in May, our other son is out of high school 19, our daughter 14. We bought a resale thru the timeshare store, we know we will enjoy the vacations and thought it was, time to treat ourselves. I think there is no happier place than wdw. We wish we would have bought sooner considering we have been to WDW 15 times, we would have saved a bunch of money.

jimmacmn
01-26-2007, 05:16 PM
We bought our first OKW contract in 1993 at age 46. Since then we have added an additional contract at OKW and in 2005 added another contract at SSR. We have no children, but we love bringing family and friends to share the "Disney experience".

We started going to WDW in 1985 and vacationed there every once every 12 to 18 months. We like the luxury hotels and once the GF opened that became our favorite. When OKW first opened, we were not inclined to look at it because we enjoyed the GF or the BC so much. During our 1993 trip we had some down time before our flight so we took the tour. I'm not sure what we expected, but we were actually blown away. We signed up immediately and have never looked back.

Now we schedule two trips in 11 months and then take a break for 17 or 18 months. That way we get the maximum value out of our AP and the annual golf membership.

byoung
01-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I bought in at 55 and I am happy about it!

ebenmax
01-26-2007, 10:31 PM
I am 43 and DH is a bit younger ;). However, my children are 19 and 16. My DH's is 4. To be honest, my teenagers are just as excited for the trips we are planning as the 4 year old. And if you really want to know - the oldest one in the family (me) is thee most excited!!

We also love vacationing alone at Disney - so many romantic options. And we cannot wait to someday tote along the grandchildren!!

Enjoy!

Ellen and Brian

newcomer52
01-26-2007, 10:40 PM
I bought in at 55 and I am happy about it!

I just turned 55 and just bought it! Couldn't be happier.

Jerry

onlyme729
01-26-2007, 10:45 PM
DW and I just joined a couple of weeks ago. I am 45 and DW 43. My DS is 21 and my DD 18. Now that my kids are older and I am better off financially we took the plunge. Back when my kids were younger we would go every couple of years, sometimes more. We did the parks commando though so we were hardly ever at our resort. Now when we go we go at a much slower pace and tend to spend alot more time at the resort. My kids are already asking to borrow some points to go down on their own. Plus in the future we will be able to get the grandkids hooked on Disney at an early age.:yay:

DebbieP39
01-27-2007, 11:09 AM
My husband and I were 45 kids were 23 & 21 and I don't regret it for a moment. My kids use it and we use it. My daughter was also on the college program. Don't forget to ask your guide about the discount for college program it saved us big time.

cruiseletters
01-27-2007, 07:37 PM
My DH and I bought in 2004 when he was 51 and I was 49. We are so glad that we made that decision,we've never regretted it. I would do one thing differently and that would be to put our first contract into smaller pieces. Instead of one 400 pt. contract I would make it two or three smaller ones. Buy, we have as much fun in the planning of a vacation as actually going on the trip with or without our grown children.:cheer2:

DisDaydreamer
01-27-2007, 07:53 PM
We enjoy our trips more now, as empty nesters, than ever. I'm sure you'll be making some family trips in the future.

Wendy1953
01-27-2007, 07:56 PM
We bought in 2005...DD did the CP in 2002, returned to work for the summers of 2003, 2004....graduated from college with a degree in Elem Ed....moved to FL, and is now still a WDW employee...she loves it, and DH knows we need to see her often, so...DVC owners here we are! By the way we are now 53 years old, and DD 24! We love going to WDW, staying in our DVC resorts, and also invite other family members to join us so that they can spend some time with DD! It's a great investment, and actually forces you into taking a well deserved vacation! Can't loose those points, gotta use them!

bluedoggy
01-27-2007, 08:15 PM
We waited until we had the cash to buy DVC - even though we would have benefitted from ownership many years earlier. Bought in 3 yrs ago - I was 49 & DH 52. We now are able to take our DD, DSiL, & DGrD. I know I really appreciate it more, knowing I didn't go into debt for it. Have fun - better now than never....:cool1:

SharonS
01-27-2007, 08:33 PM
I bought when I was 39, but I am single. Since purchasing in 1999, my Mother and I visited 3 times/year with our DVC. She passed away in Dec 2004, and I have continued to visit 4 times a year solo! I have 500 points, and am glad that I purchased DVC.

Lenc324
01-27-2007, 08:49 PM
I was 46 when I bought with a 16yr old. We are enjoying it and sharing with our family too.:banana:

Traveliz
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
I was 50 when I bought DVC. My son was in the college program. His discount was a HUGE influence in making the decision! With the promo at the time + his discount, it was way too good to pass up! It made it affordable for us and has given us opportunites that we would not have otherwise. Empty nest now and No regrets! I plan to go with or without the grown kids.

You'll find that it's great to experience the magic no matter what age you are!
Go for it!

pixiedust:

Except for the fact I have a daughter - this is my plan - she is planning on the college program next year and I am anxious to see what the price will be with her buying with the discount.

Liz

rie'smom
01-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Hubby is 49,I'm almost 49 and we bought in September.
Our kids are 31,22,and 12. The 12 year old still like WDW but when she doesn't, hubby and I will still go. Then, hopefully, one day we'll have grandkids to bring with us.
I love Florida and used to go on vacations to the panhandle every couple of years. We even spent a summer there. However,it's just built up incredibly. Orlando has too but here at BWV,I still have the feeling of those summer vacations I remember as a child.

DonnaL
01-28-2007, 12:06 AM
We also purchased when we were in our mid 40's (would have loved to before then, but, couldn't afford it when the kids were younger!!). Our kids were 21,
19, and 12 when we purchased. The oldest was in his last year of college and our 19 yr old daughter had just presented us with a wonderful grandson three months before we bought, so we knew we would continue to spend quite a few years returning to WDW in the future since we still had a 12 year old plus a new grandbaby besides!! That was in 2001 and we've been back every year since then with at least two of the three kids and our now five year old grandson has been there 3 times......and best of all, DH and I have made it a point to visit for three or four days alone for the past three years in addition to our family visit. We thought maybe we wouldn't go alone this year since we were all just there last week and our youngest is graduating high school this year so it's gong to be a busy spring, but, DH said to me yesterday "I really want to go to WDW in May again even if it's only for three days....just the two of us". For us, it's just a wonderful trip.....we find something different to do each time we're there and I'm sure we will 10 years from now also.