PDA

View Full Version : is it really worth buying?

disguy1
01-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Im considering buying into SSR with the promotion. I also considered resales but I think I like having the extra 12 years. In the past i have always stayed at the values w/ the DDP. I normally go to disney every year for about a week. Will I actually be saving money with buying? Or should I continue doing the values year after year. My daughter is 10yo. Its only her & I. Im so confused, please help......thanks

rantnnravin
01-15-2007, 12:22 PM
We love our DVC it was way worth it for us.
I just wish we had bough sooner. We also stayed at value resorts (DH, DD and myself) pre-DVC, and yet i still cringe when i think of all the money we spent on accommodations before we finally bought.
PM if you need a referral name.

disguy1
01-15-2007, 12:29 PM
thanks lisa for the info..im also a long islander.....Ronkonkoma

rantnnravin
01-15-2007, 12:32 PM
there's lots of Long Island DVCers on the board
:welcome:

goalie5hole
01-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Think about the money you spend for the All Stars for a week and then compare it to what you would pay cash for at,say BW which will continue to increase,then compare to the cost of DVC. DVC usually pays for itself in the first 5-7 years for most people. I used to go to Centereach to play hockey alot. Does that make me an honorary LI'er?

Deb & Bill
01-15-2007, 12:53 PM
DVC does not save any money. You actually wind up spending more because you go more often. You get APs or PAPs. You dine out more.

If you are happy with the value resorts, and the luxury doesn't mean that much to you, DVC might not be the best fit for you. See what the points would cost you, what the dues would cost you and see if it is more or less than what you spend now. Don't add in the cost to fly/drive or tickets or dining.

I know with our 500 points, we spend alot more just on dues than we would spend for vacations at the value resorts.

disguy1
01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
well...a value costs like 82 a night..so 7 days a year is $574.....thats why i cant see what im saving

goalie5hole
01-15-2007, 01:17 PM
It most likely wouldn't be a good idea for you to buy. Most DVC'ers buy for different reasons(nicer accomodations,going 2/3X a year,etc.). Only you can determine if it is right for you. I own and I still want to stay at the All Stars sometimes because I like them,but I would have to pay cash.

disguy1
01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
thats what im thinking bob...i dont plan on going any more then 10 days a year...but with 150 points i could probably get 10 days if i plan right and utilize the studios

jade1
01-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Remember with DVC you do have an asset to sell at any time and recover some, all or even come out ahead on your purchase over the years. Renting is money gone for forever.

disguy1
01-15-2007, 01:36 PM
thats a good way to look at it jade...we always go to disney anyway, may be worth to buy at SSR under current promo....thanks jade

tjkraz
01-15-2007, 01:47 PM
If you're happy with the all-star resorts, I wouldn't consider DVC. Your per-night cost will almost certainly be more than an all-star room and you don't have the flexibility of skipping a year (trip) and avoiding that cost.

The financial benefit to DVC is apparent when you compare to nightly room rates of $250-300 at the Deluxe resorts. Compared to $70-80 per night at a Value, the numbers just don't add-up.

Of course, DVC rooms (and the resorts themselves) are much nicer than Value rooms, and that's exactly why people are willing to pay 5 times the cost of a Value to stay in a Deluxe.

Lynne M
01-15-2007, 02:24 PM
The only way you're going to save money with DVC is if you compare it to the cost of staying in a deluxe or possibly a moderate. If you're comparing to the cost of a value, with the possibility of AP rates and/or free dining, you will certainly spend a lot more per year on your DVC trips.

DVC isn't really about saving money. It's about pre-paying for vacations in villa-style accomodations.

If you want to stay in 1 or 2-bedroom villas, with costs somewhat protected against inflation for the next ~40 years, then DVC is a fantastic deal, and I'd highly recommend it.

If you're happy at the All-Stars, and your goal in looking at DVC is to stay for less money than you pay at the values, then DVC won't work out for you.

dianeschlicht
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
One other bit of information that I haven't seen in the above posts, that you might like to consider. If you buy DVC, you will have that contract and the points to use for 40 some years. It basically means that you and your DD will be staying for the next 45 years at a deluxe resort for 2007 prices. That's not a small thing, because we all know how Disney rates have increased and will likely continue to increase over the years.

letsgodisney
01-15-2007, 03:48 PM
We just closed on our DVC at SSR, Best thing we did, we are from L.I. too East Islip

Good luck on your decision and questions don't hesitate to ask
party:

Granny
01-15-2007, 03:57 PM
well...a value costs like 82 a night..so 7 days a year is $574.....thats why i cant see what im savingAs others have noted, you probably won't save with DVC with your scenario.

On the other hand, how much is that value room going to cost in 5 years? 15 years? 30 years?

DVC is NOT the least expensive way to enjoy WDW on-site accommodations. It is an affordable way for people to upgrade their vacation accommodation experience and lock into a low average cost for several decades.

Good luck with your decision. Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying if your goal is to save money vs your current plans.

NEMO93
01-15-2007, 08:36 PM
We have been members since 92. Have stayed at VB, OKW,WVL and have enjoyed every visits. We have even gone on disney cruises using our points.We loved every minute that we stay at the vacation resorts. jp

bribert
01-15-2007, 08:46 PM
We also wrestled with th esame dilsmna, finally deciding against it. However, for our trip in June, we're staying at a value for 2 days, then renting points for 5 more. The price is almost the same as a whole week @ POP. I'd suggest doing this before jumping in & buying, so you know what to expect.

rahrah
01-16-2007, 08:30 AM
A while ago I calculated the price per point that you are paying over the life of the contract including opportunity costs. The actual cost depends on whether you are comfortable with the stock market or just using simple savings accounts. If you like the stock market, that means you are paying aprox. $1,500 per year for the minimum contract (if you are risk adverse, the it is $1,200 per year). That does not compare very well with the $850 you are currently paying per year.

Financing the points just makes it worse.

By my thinking DVC makes financial sense if you are currently staying in moderate hotels, and go more than once a year.

Of course financial reasons are not the only reason for buying a DVC. I liked DVC because my room is already paid for each year. This keeps me from dreading the bills when I get back from vacation.

RumpleMom
01-16-2007, 09:01 AM
As your DD becomes a teenager, will she want to take a friend along? Will you then need different room accomadations?

DVC might then become the better choice, rather than renting 2 rooms.

Our older teens have taken girlfriends and boyfirends along, so we used points for several rooms.

Try to think how things might change in the future.

disguy1
01-16-2007, 09:42 AM
i think i will buy by the 1/20 cut-off at SSR

rinkwide
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
So the thread was helpful then.