PDA

View Full Version : Would you sell one contract to buy an add-on?


aclov
01-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Has anyone sold one of their contracts and than purchased at a different resort for whatever reason? I have two contracts - one at BWV & the other at WVL. I'm thinking of selling the smaller one and than maybe doing an add-on once AKL becomes available. I know the cost of points would be higher than what I originally paid for, so I'm not sure what else would be positive other than the 11-month window.

Does this make sense to do?:confused3

lisaviolet
01-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Has anyone sold one of their contracts and than purchased at a different resort for whatever reason? I have two contracts - one at BWV & the other at WVL. I'm thinking of selling the smaller one and than maybe doing an add-on once AKL becomes available. I know the cost of points would be higher than what I originally paid for, so I'm not sure what else would be positive other than the 11-month window.

Does this make sense to do?:confused3

Did it last year. Knew financially it wasn't smart. Also, I needed to break even on the contracts...unfortunately. So I "lost" 38 points by making sure I was even. Also, I had to deal with being a non-resident (Canadian) on the sale and the extra work that entailed (US gov't takes 10% until I get paperwork in to reclaim it as no profit). I factored that 10% in so that is why I "lost" extra points. So there were a lot of negatives.

All this and NO REGRETS. Not one. Extremely happy that I did this.

All the best,

Lisa

CarolMN
01-14-2007, 02:22 PM
My advice is not to be in a hurry to sell either the BWV contract or the VWL contract.

AKV is going to end up larger than either VWL or BWV. Wait and see what the point charts are going to look like. Wait and see what the transportation and resort amenties will be. There is lots of speculation right now, but very few official facts. Wait and see how hard it is to get in the AKV at 7 months. Unless it has something for which you need the home resort booking advantage, why spend more $$ to own there?

Y-ASK
01-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Only reason I would sell and then re-purchase would be to reduce the size of the one large contract that I own. I would sell my 400 Pt OKW and purchase four smaller ones at the same resort. As far as AKL, I would probably agree with the "Wait and see" option. There'll be plenty of time to sell and buy at a later date.

Y-ASK

chainkid
01-15-2007, 06:49 PM
I recently sold a HH 100pt contract that I owned so I could buy 100 point BWV. I already owned the rest of my points at BW and was tired of trying to use the HH at the 7 month window for BW. I never went to HH because the Airfare is too high and since injuring my knees can no longer play tennis. So for me it was a good option although I lost money in the transaction.

CarolA
01-15-2007, 07:40 PM
I may do it for AKL. For me it's not the money issue as much as the fact that I recently sold two contracts to get my points at the level I wanted. So if I want to own at VAKL something will have to give..... decisions, decisions.......

Dean
01-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I doubt it's worth doing just to get the home resort in this situation. The dollars you'd give up in the trade off simply aren't worth it IMO. I'd agree if you wanted to downsize, that's another matter.

lisareniff
01-15-2007, 08:28 PM
I've got my eye on a small AKV contract. However, my DH was lurking on the boards and is on to me. :cool2: He came to me and said that sure I could buy a small AKL contract ....IF I sold our large BCV contract :eek: Got to work on that. :rolleyes1 First, I'm waiting for details. Any room types that I really want and need home resort booking at our vacation times (school breaks).