PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Points

amyah
01-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi!

We're current DVC members and are trying to plan a quick trip to Disneyland for the end of March/beginning of April. We plan on paying cash for the Saturday night, but would like to use the remaining points in our 2007 use year to book the Sunday night on points. We are 1 point shy of staying at the Grand Californian and would like to be able to get 1 point transferred into our account. I've posted on the Rent/Trade board, but I really have no idea how this transferring process works. I've had one person mention that you are allowed only one transfer per use year, so I guess the chances of somone wanting to use up their transfer on 1 point is probably unlikely. But then I see posts where it looks like people are splitting up the number of points they have available and transferring them to multiple parties. So I guess I'm just confused. Could someone provide a brief "crash course" on how this transferring business works?? And what is the difference between transferring and renting points? When you "rent" the points, are you just making a reservation on behalf of someone else?

Thanks!
Amy

Granny
01-12-2007, 06:21 PM
We are 1 point shy of staying at the Grand Californian and would like to be able to get 1 point transferred into our account. I've posted on the Rent/Trade board, but I really have no idea how this transferring process works. I've had one person mention that you are allowed only one transfer per use year, so I guess the chances of somone wanting to use up their transfer on 1 point is probably unlikely.
That person is correct, and your conclusion is also correct.

When you "rent" the points, are you just making a reservation on behalf of someone else? That is also correct. The terminology is "renting points", but that is inaccurate. In actuality, it is "selling reservations". For whatever reason, it was labelled inaccurately years ago and it stuck.

Just curious...why don't you borrow the one point from the next UY?

By the way, if you want to know EVERYTHING about transferring points, look at this link... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=491988

amyah
01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Our use year is June...we just visited WDW in October and used all of our 2006 use year points, and borrowed all but 32 points from our 2007 use year points...we wouldn't be able to borrow from our 2008 use year points until after May 31, right?

hematite153
01-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Our use year is June...we just visited WDW in October and used all of our 2006 use year points, and borrowed all but 32 points from our 2007 use year points...we wouldn't be able to borrow from our 2008 use year points until after May 31, right?

Correct. However, assuming that those 32 points are still in your 2007 UY they are also not available until after May 31, 2007 unless you borrow them. This means that they won't expire until May 31, 2008 and you could bank them so that they won't expire until May 31, 2009.

Since you'll probably have to pay a premium to get someone to transfer a single point, why not pay cash for your whole trip this time, bank the points and plan another big vacation sometime in your 2008 UY?

kimberh
01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Maybe you can keep bumping your post to keep it current. Someone that doesn't normally transfer may reply to you. There are some posters that quite often write that they have never rented or transferred, maybe you can ask them.

Slakk
01-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Hi!

We're current DVC members and are trying to plan a quick trip to Disneyland for the end of March/beginning of April. We plan on paying cash for the Saturday night, but would like to use the remaining points in our 2007 use year to book the Sunday night on points. We are 1 point shy of staying at the Grand Californian and would like to be able to get 1 point transferred into our account. I've posted on the Rent/Trade board, but I really have no idea how this transferring process works. I've had one person mention that you are allowed only one transfer per use year, so I guess the chances of somone wanting to use up their transfer on 1 point is probably unlikely. But then I see posts where it looks like people are splitting up the number of points they have available and transferring them to multiple parties. So I guess I'm just confused. Could someone provide a brief "crash course" on how this transferring business works?? And what is the difference between transferring and renting points? When you "rent" the points, are you just making a reservation on behalf of someone else?

Thanks!
Amy

Amy I have an extra point and I think I can transfer it...I would be more than happy to transfer it to you.

PM me with your member # and I will call MS on Tuesday.

kimberh
01-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Jodie,
I could not help her, but I think this is so kind of you.

Slakk
01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Jodie,
I could not help her, but I think this is so kind of you.

Awwww...thank you but I am just giving back a favor...last year I needed 2 points and someone gave them to me. I feel like I have gotten so much from these boards why not give back?

hematite153
01-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Awwww...thank you but I am just giving back a favor...last year I needed 2 points and someone gave them to me. I feel like I have gotten so much from these boards why not give back?

Sounds good to me! I'm glad that you are able to help out.