PDA

View Full Version : New Service: store your personal vacation gear

jdvm
01-11-2007, 02:55 PM
We’re launching a new service for frequent visitors to the Orlando area called Owner’s Locker. You fill one of our special containers with the things you’d like to have on hand when you visit. We have it waiting for you at the front desk of your resort when you check in. Then we pick it up when you check out and keep it in our climate controlled warehouse until your next visit. It sure beats hauling all of that stuff back and forth!

Check out this link to learn more:

www.ownerslocker.com

It will take your vacation to a whole new level.

John

greenban
01-11-2007, 03:05 PM
John I love this idea!

With 3-4 DVC stays each year, usually driving down, what a great idea, off to check out your link.

-Tony

WebmasterDoc
01-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I just wanted to add that John does have permission to post this information and link to his service.

I'm sitting here at OKW right now looking at the Owner's Locker box and planning what we want to store in there for our future trips. The box is bigger than we expected (larger than our recycling bin at home) , has lots of dividers and a compartmentalized storage box for little items. It looks like John has thought of everything - the box was waiting for us yesterday at check-in and the Bell staff brought it to our villa with the rest of our luggage.

With our frequent trips, it will allow us to minimize many items that we usually drag along and will also minimize the items we need to purchase each time we come but never completely deplete (things like salt, pepper, coffee filters, etc.). What other items would you find convenient to have available on each visit?

I'm sure we will find lots of uses for the storage and for the service. The Bell staff here at OKW is familiar with John and is aware of this program.

So far so good! :teeth:

Lesia
01-11-2007, 07:01 PM
what a cool idea. BUt, how much will it cost? Or an estimate?

jdvm
01-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Hey Tony,
I knew our paths would cross at some point. I almost called you when you were down recently to offer you a Locker. I was in pre-test mode then.
It's great that you drive down as some people think Owner's Locker is just for people who fly.
I look forward to hearing from you.
John

cocoswife
01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
This is a wonderful idea. We have to fly down, so, this will be ideal for my family. We have been known to leave things behind, because, we could not fit them into our bags. I already signed up for the free trial, but, in case we are not picked what will be the cost? Will you charge a drop off/ pick up fee?

Camille

jdvm
01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi Leisa and Cocoswife,
Current thinking on pricing:
-$75 for the Locker (yours to keep and guaranteed for life)
-$12.50 per month for climate controlled storage and one free delivery per year
john

p.s. Cocoswife....not sure which application is yours---we've had a fantastic!!
We'll get through them all this weekend and get back with everyone. One of the main things we're looking for in test participants are folks who will be down soon. We want to put or service through its paces and formally launch as quickly as we can!
j

CarolA
01-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I just filled out an application and I will be down VERY soon LOL!

However, I have to say that the pricing may put me off. It seems a little high for the storeage and of course the whole reason I am looking at this is that I go several times a year so I need more deliveries.

WebmasterCricket
01-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I'd like to hear a few example items others are considering using the service for.

I have water wallet and detergent so far.

jdvm
01-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi CarolA,

We really appreciate for you comments and thank you for asking about pricing. We love feedback--even if it may not be what we want to hear.

We've spent a lot of time working on the price of Owner's Locker's. Believe it or not, we've tried to price it so that it will be affordable to as many people as possible---we sort of shoot ourselves in the foot if we don't!!

I'm glad you've signed up for our test program. It sounds like you'd be a great candidate. I'll be very interested in hearing your thoughts on pricing after you've used the service a couple of times. You may still conclude that it's not for you---but I'll bet you wind up being an opinion leader for us. We love sceptics but we love converts even better!!

As for multiple deliveries/pickups, we have included one free visit in our pricing. The second delivery/pickup in any year will be $30; the third $25, the fourth $20, etc. Any visits after seven per year will be free.

Value--particularly of a convenience item, like Owner's Locker, is so very personal. There's really no right or wrong here. Whatever your views, we want to hear them.
Thanks again,
John

JWimberley
01-12-2007, 05:11 PM
John,

I think that is a great idea! The first thing I thought when I saw it was Baby P.O.D.S. (Portable On Demand Storage) It's a company that brings a shipping container to your house so you can load it and then they pick it up and take it back to their climate controlled warehouse for you.

Anyway, I can see where Carol is coming from on the pricing, I would look for something in the $100 per year range just because we will only make one or two trips per year all the way from Houston. Also I thought that you might be able to do something similar to the cell phone companies on the cost of the locker itself. No contract = $75 locker - 1 year contract = $40 locker - 2 year contract = Free Locker...

As for what you could keep in your locker...

I love the Salt/Pepper and Coffee Filter idea
The only time I use my aqua shoes is at the Disney Water Parks
How about keeping your own personal fluffy towels there?
That bottle of sunscreen you always forget?
Spare contact lense equipment for those that need that sort of thing (Lasik surgery, best Christmas present ever!)
Pens and a legal pad for making lists of the next days itinerary

Ok, I have no idea what else I would use it for but I'm anxious to hear the ideas of others :)

mikesmom
01-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Okay, that is WAY too cool. I'm going to start listing all the "stuff" we end up buying fresh at Publix because we forget to pack it (or it doesn't fit) and then we leave it because it's too bulky to drag back. This is a GREAT idea - wish I'd thought of it! We'll be down soon (hint,hint).

CarolA
01-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi CarolA,

We really appreciate for you comments and thank you for asking about pricing. We love feedback--even if it may not be what we want to hear.

We've spent a lot of time working on the price of Owner's Locker's. Believe it or not, we've tried to price it so that it will be affordable to as many people as possible---we sort of shoot ourselves in the foot if we don't!!

I'm glad you've signed up for our test program. It sounds like you'd be a great candidate. I'll be very interested in hearing your thoughts on pricing after you've used the service a couple of times. You may still conclude that it's not for you---but I'll bet you wind up being an opinion leader for us. We love sceptics but we love converts even better!!

As for multiple deliveries/pickups, we have included one free visit in our pricing. The second delivery/pickup in any year will be $30; the third $25, the fourth $20, etc. Any visits after seven per year will be free.

Value--particularly of a convenience item, like Owner's Locker, is so very personal. There's really no right or wrong here. Whatever your views, we want to hear them.
Thanks again,
John

I thought about this some more and I think that if you have a family it's probably a better deal price wise. Just not sure that a solo traveler has that much to store. I do have an open mind, but I think that this is great if you are hauling the spouse and a few kids and ALL of thier junke. For a single person I think there may be a risk that the cost is greater then just buying the stuff again...... Not sure on that I will have to think about what I would leave when I pack for my next trip (or what I don't pack that I would like to have LOL!)

Figment2
01-12-2007, 07:23 PM
What happens if your stuff doesn't fit in one locker? Right now we are storing three large containers at a friend's in FL (the Halloween decorations are getting out of control!).

Signing up to try it!

Cyn

jdvm
01-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, Figment, no one ever said you were limited to one Locker!!! One of our test Members wants to have a winter Locker and a summer Locker...never thought of a Halloween Locker! We're still working on frequent user discounts to address the multiple Locker issue. I like people like you Figment!!!!
john

Boston5602
01-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I like the idea of this too. I Have a Box here at home that is " The Disney Box " of course I use this to put stuff I use at Disney in. I go to the dollar store and stock up on some things like rain poncho's and umbrella's $10.00 get you 10 umbrellas and 20 ponchos. I can stock these up in my owners box . I also bring battery charger for my camera every trip that I could leave in the box , with extra batteries.

I special order laundry tablets to use at Disney ( no mess packing/storing ) Hmmmm could I order them to be delivered to my box someday? I like the Kitchen / Laundry supply storage idea's ! I'd probably leave my toiletry kit I use for traveling so I wouldn't have to know what the flight security regulations are.

OH I think I would have to leave a bathing suit. It seems I always forget to pack that in the winter , since I put it away with summer clothes.

How secure is this? Could I leave my annual pass in it so I wouldn't lose it?

I think I might buy an extra cell phone charger so I wouldn't have to worry about that either.

Someone asked what I might use this for , these are some of the things that I thought I might use it for.

cocoswife
01-12-2007, 08:54 PM
John,

Anyway, I can see where Carol is coming from on the pricing, I would look for something in the $100 per year range just because we will only make one or two trips per year all the way from Houston. Also I thought that you might be able to do something similar to the cell phone companies on the cost of the locker itself. No contract = $75 locker - 1 year contract = $40 locker - 2 year contract = Free Locker...

:)

I really like the idea of the yearly contract. I would also suggest that if you sign a 2 year contract, you could lower the monthly price a dollar or two as an incentive to sign a longer contract. I think the price for 2nd and 3rd delivery/pick up seems reasonable.

Camille

MickeyFan84
01-13-2007, 11:34 AM
LOVE the idea of storing holiday decorations for those that travel regularly at various holidays! That's one of those tips that would really make it feel like home. I'm starting a list right now.

As I was telling John, we actually had one trip where DH bailed on the car trip home to Texas because he couldn't face the thought of driving across the country in a car stuffed to the gills with stuff! We dropped him at the airport and continued on our merry way, but after that he instituted strict rules on how much stuff we could bring along... :rotfl:

Scratch42
01-13-2007, 11:48 AM
OMG!

This would definately solve the problem of those quick weekend trips! Especially since you can't take liquids and gels on the plane! and all that stuff that DD insists on bringing even though its only a weekend!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Unfortuantely, won't be heading down again until September!

Might just have to sign up when you start to offer!

j

BeccaG
01-13-2007, 12:16 PM
I think this is a great idea and I am interested to see how it works out for everyone!

jdvm
01-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey Boston,
Thanks for your comments. I love hearing about things people will store!! It sounds funny but in all of our research, we've never had someone list a cell phone charger. What a good idea! I put that right up there with guide books and maps.

You also asked a couple of great questions. The Lockers come with a numbered security seal but you can also put your own padlock or combination lock on if you want.

As for shipping something to your Locker, since we never open Lockers, you can't have something delivered to it. You'll have to have things sent to your room and then you can load it up. I'm drifting a bit off topic but one of the options we will offer when we formally launch--but not for the test--is to have an empty Locker shipped to your home rather than to your resort for the first time. That way, at least if you drive, you can fill it up at home and bring it fully loaded.
John

tink2020
01-13-2007, 01:32 PM
What a fantastic idea! I'm going to check out the website now... how useful this would be! :goodvibes

goofydad99
01-13-2007, 01:34 PM
We have signed up for the testing of this. If we get picked, here are a few things we might bring.

Small toys that the children like to play with but would never miss! One less thing to drag with us in the car!
Powdered laundry detergent
Dishwasher Detergent
Rechargeable Batteries and charger
The possibilities are endless
I wonder if you can get one of those noodles you use in the pool in there?:)

Goofydad's wife

who gets to go home next week

tink2020
01-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Rechargeable Batteries and charger

Oooh, how nice that would have been a week ago! I understand that, for sure! Boy batteries are expensive at the magic kingdom! :rolleyes1

CarolA
01-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Inquiring minds want to know....

Do you think my Yard from the Pub at the UK Pavilion will fit?

(OK we know where my priorities are!)

Scratch42
01-13-2007, 02:50 PM

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

But good to know!

I've always wanted to drink one of those but could not figure out how to bring it back home again!

j

goofydad99
01-13-2007, 04:08 PM

Great idea. Can you have those refilled??:thumbsup2

wdwr
01-13-2007, 06:23 PM
I love this idea. As I was reading the first page I was thinking how great it was for all those items you can't have in your carryon but you always need each trip...and someone of course beat me too it. :)

I wonder if I can fit a bathing suit and some jammies in there. That way I'd be all set if my luggage got lost.

Being a new DVC owner this is a great idea and I may just have to sign up for the trial run. I can think about what I want in there on my Feb 1 trip. Woohoo. I can even poll my friends for ideas.

CarolA
01-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Great idea. Can you have those refilled??:thumbsup2

Yes and it's cheaper then the original. On top of that if you have it refilled IN the pub you can use your DDE card.

(We know return you to your regularly scheduled thread!)

cocoswife
01-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Ok, I got a few more..

-Rechargeable battery for video camera
-Hats, baseball caps
-Our after dinner "ahem" beverage (we love Bailey's)
-Zipploc bags
-Zipploc containers (for leftovers)
-Aluminum foil
-Wax paper
-Extra travel size bag (in case we buy extra souvenirs ;) )
-Beach towel, beach bag
-Flip flops for the pool

CarolA
01-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Just one more thought
If you only go once a year or so please don't store open contact lens solution. Open contact lens solultion left for that long has much higher risk of being "infected" Having had a corneal ulcer once just take my word you don't want one! I asked my eye doc at dinner tonight (he's a personal friend) and he nearly had a stroke at the idea of using year old open solution.

(I am storing my Disney Crocs. I have never worn them outside of Disney. Also, my theme park bag and wallet. Yes, I have a special bag and wallet LOL!)

Boston5602
01-13-2007, 08:02 PM
(I am storing my Disney Crocs. I have never worn them outside of Disney. Also, my theme park bag and wallet. Yes, I have a special bag and wallet LOL!)

Oh thank goodness !

I have a fanny pack and wallet I ONLY use at Disney too.

I found myself taking out lots of stuff from my wallet and then putting in my Disney visa and AP , so I just got one that was smaller and better for Disney.

:banana: I'm not alone <G> :banana:

JPC
01-13-2007, 11:12 PM
I just wanted to add that John does have permission to post this information and link to his service.

I'm sitting here at OKW right now looking at the Owner's Locker box and planning what we want to store in there for our future trips. The box is bigger than we expected (larger than our recycling bin at home) , has lots of dividers and a compartmentalized storage box for little items. It looks like John has thought of everything - the box was waiting for us yesterday at check-in and the Bell staff brought it to our villa with the rest of our luggage.

With our frequent trips, it will allow us to minimize many items that we usually drag along and will also minimize the items we need to purchase each time we come but never completely deplete (things like salt, pepper, coffee filters, etc.). What other items would you find convenient to have available on each visit?

I'm sure we will find lots of uses for the storage and for the service. The Bell staff here at OKW is familiar with John and is aware of this program.

So far so good! :teeth:

Can you provide more details on the permission and how you came to get a sample so fast?

graygables
01-14-2007, 12:22 AM
I signed up, hoping to test for our Feb trip, think this is a fantastic idea! Along with the contact solution advice, though, I'd also caution about sunscreen, lotions, or anything that might have an expiration date. Just check it and make sure you'll be back before it expires...hey, honey??? My sunscreen is about to expire, I think I need a trip to WDW!!! :thumbsup2

I'm hoping to store ponchos, inflatable pool toys, water filtration paraphernalia, EARS (how many can we possibly own??? :joker: ), batteries/charger, extra camera battery (I have 3, but always forget the 3rd one), and slippers for starters (we always forget slippers and DDs feet are always cold). I'm also hoping to store a little 'time capsule' of our favorite things we did each previous trip, so when we open the box, we can relive the happy times we had and anticipate the ones we're getting ready to have! Also, copies of any park tickets that I still have. Not sure I'd leave the actual tix, but the back copies, yeppers. Oh, and fitted sheets...DDs are funny about those. ;)

rsschneck
01-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi Leisa and Cocoswife,
Current thinking on pricing:
-$75 for the Locker (yours to keep and guaranteed for life)
-$12.50 per month for climate controlled storage and one free delivery per year
john

p.s. Cocoswife....not sure which application is yours---we've had a fantastic!!
We'll get through them all this weekend and get back with everyone. One of the main things we're looking for in test participants are folks who will be down soon. We want to put or service through its paces and formally launch as quickly as we can!
j

I think the concept is GREAT! We fly about 3 times per year from Oregon and with the new TSA regulations it would be nice to have some stuff down in Florida already.

I do agree the pricing seems steep. We went for Christmas and I shipped a LARGE box to the resort. The cost was less than $20.00 by FEDEX ground. With a $12.50 rental charge per month I could continue to ship items down and still save money.

I will like to hear what FREE trial people think of the service. I really like the concept though.:thumbsup2

rsschneck
01-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Ok, I got a few more..

-Rechargeable battery for video camera
-Hats, baseball caps
-Our after dinner "ahem" beverage (we love Bailey's)
-Zipploc bags
-Zipploc containers (for leftovers)
-Aluminum foil
-Wax paper
-Extra travel size bag (in case we buy extra souvernirs ;) )
-Beach towel, beach bag
-Flip flops for the pool

These are GREAT ideas!

I was thinking beach towels for the water parks.
salt/pepper and other cooking spices
coffee filters
plastic plates, bowls and decent silverware if you stay in studios

TinkTatoo
01-14-2007, 03:12 AM
It's a fantastic idea and as we come from Ireland there are things we only use in America. Our US Walkie Talkies, battery chargers, plug adaptors, poncho's etc., and we have a bag at home full of our US stuff. It would be very handy to leave this in Florida.

....I do agree the pricing seems steep. We went for Christmas and I shipped a LARGE box to the resort. The cost was less than $20.00 by FEDEX ground. With a $12.50 rental charge per month I could continue to ship items down and still save money....

I don't mind the initial charge and as we travel such a long distance we tend to have one longer break rather then a few smaller ones so the extra collection / delivery charges wouldn't affect us but I think $12.50 per month a bit steep. I would be more inclined to use the service if it were $100 or under. Perhaps there could be a sliding scale of fees - the longer you took out your contract for the cheaper the monthly storage fee.

WebmasterDoc
01-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Can you provide more details on the permission and how you came to get a sample so fast?

Sure, John contacted the owner of the DIS with his proposal and was granted permission for the posts on the DVC Boards. When I was sent the information about what was going on last week , I went to the OwnersLocker website and submitted a trial request and the box was at the resort when I checked in the next day. There are a number of others (several have posted in these threads) who have already been part of the trial for several months, but this is my first experience with the program.

We're still making a list of items to store in the box, but are excited about the opportunity to have a number of personal items waiting for us on each trip! :)

Scotch
01-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I think the concept is GREAT! . . .
I do agree the pricing seems steep. We went for Christmas and I shipped a LARGE box to the resort. The cost was less than $20.00 by FEDEX ground. With a $12.50 rental charge per month I could continue to ship items down and still save money.

I will like to hear what FREE trial people think of the service. I really like the concept though.:thumbsup2

I agree. I have been shipping a box of supplies every year, usually for under $20 via FedEx or UPS ground. This last December I even shipped a 30'ish lb 26" suitcase packed with stuff for around $32 one way. It is easy to drop off stuff for return shipment at the Disney front desk. I love your idea but with only one or two trips a year it is much less expensive for me to ship supplies, particularly supplies that may have expiration dates so I need to watch how often I replace them.

jdvm
01-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Just a quick post to thank everyone for the incredible response we've been receiving and to thank fellow DIS members for their comments. It's fun to hear so many people think that an idea that has been my dream and passion could really work!
We've done lots of research but have had to make assumptions--the size of the Locker, how it's configured, the price of the service, etc. One of the reasons we're conducting the test is to get the views of people who are living with the actual service. As much as we have tried to get it right, we're always ready to change. We firmly believe that we're just implementers of Owner's Locker and that it will be our Members that point us in the direction they want us to go.
We also know that we're dealing with extremely personal areas where people just have different views (do I drive or do I fly?;do I rent a car or use the bus?) so there will never be a service that each and every person will think is right for them.
Be assured that we're listening intently to your comments-keep 'em coming!
John

rsschneck
01-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Just a quick post to thank everyone for the incredible response we've been receiving and to thank fellow DIS members for their comments. It's fun to hear so many people think that an idea that has been my dream and passion could really work!
We've done lots of research but have had to make assumptions--the size of the Locker, how it's configured, the price of the service, etc. One of the reasons we're conducting the test is to get the views of people who are living with the actual service. As much as we have tried to get it right, we're always ready to change. We firmly believe that we're just implementers of Owner's Locker and that it will be our Members that point us in the direction they want us to go.
We also know that we're dealing with extremely personal areas where people just have different views (do I drive or do I fly?;do I rent a car or use the bus?) so there will never be a service that each and every person will think is right for them.
Be assured that we're listening intently to your comments-keep 'em coming!
John

Our family was chosen as a test family. I am so excited to try this service! Thanks John! I will gladly provide feedback. Our trip isn't until March so I will be trying to figure out what to put in the locker for our families needs!

JPC
01-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Sure, John contacted the owner of the DIS with his proposal and was granted permission for the posts on the DVC Boards. When I was sent the information about what was going on last week , I went to the OwnersLocker website and submitted a trial request and the box was at the resort when I checked in the next day. There are a number of others (several have posted in these threads) who have already been part of the trial for several months, but this is my first experience with the program.

We're still making a list of items to store in the box, but are excited about the opportunity to have a number of personal items waiting for us on each trip! :)

Doc, from what I see you run a tight but fair ship around here. I have no reason to believe that this freebie (if so a freebie) would influence you in any way and I sure I may hear that. But, appearance wise, I do not think that it looks good for the moderator to receive such a freebie. Do not worry, I have no high-horse to get off of. It is just based on a basic principle of ethics.

Boston5602
01-14-2007, 04:57 PM
I think John did a fantastic service to the rest of us by giving ( did he ? ) Webmasterdoc a locker. I find HIS input and recommendations invaluable ! I can't wait to see how he is going to use it.

I leave next weekend and just signed up so I broke out my suitcase and filled with I always wanted down at WDW , I just didn't want to schlep most of it back and forth.

Some of that is extra poncho's , candles , ziplock bags , my hat I only wear at Disney , toiletries like tooth brush and paste, hair brush , battery charger and batteries , laundry stuff a first aid kit a sewing kit , a lint brush and more. Oh I went a bought a copy of my favorite coffee mug to leave too!!!!!

I'm looking forward to trying this out . I vacation on Cape Cod during the summer . My friends and I rent townhomes and they have an " Owners Closet " too , I thought how convenient to leave stuff there all the time!

Let you all know how it works out for me!

BoatBoy
01-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Doc, from what I see you run a tight but fair ship around here. I have no reason to believe that this freebie (if so a freebie) would influence you in any way and I sure I may hear that. But, appearance wise, I do not think that it looks good for the moderator to receive such a freebie. Do not worry, I have no high-horse to get off of. It is just based on a basic principle of ethics.

'scuse me, Miss Buttinski here....

Doc was given a locker because he's a consumer, his capacity as a moderator doesn't eliminate him from taking advantage of the same great deals we all come to the DIS to find out about. Anyone who is going to WDW soon was eligible to send in an application for the test phase.
I know you clearly stated you do not have a "high horse" to get off of, but it seems as thought your comments were unfair and unwarranted.

CarolA
01-14-2007, 06:12 PM

:rolleyes1

Sounds like HIGH HORSE to me. :rotfl2:

Just in case you are NOT aware, the DIS MODS are VOLUNTEERS. They are NOT paid and are not OWNERS of the board. So there is NO financial incentive between Doc and the board. Now I am willing to lay money the board owners agreed to this "free trial" in the hopes that the OP will be successful and pay them an advertising fee. (That's how these boards remains FREE!)

Boston5602
01-14-2007, 06:34 PM
I have a question for John and if I should ask privately please let me know.

If Gosh forbid something extreme happens and after a year a two of using your service they pack up the box , you collect it and they go home , only to NEVER return to Disney.Say death in the family . lost job , repo from Disney! Do you have a way to get it back to them , like shipping it for a fee or something?

jdvm
01-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Boston,
Absolutely there is a mechanism for cancellation. I firmly believe in the phrase that to everything there is a season. That's one of the reasons, I'm not fond of the contract concept that some are suggesting (not to say we wouldn't consider their suggestions). My thought is Members can cancel at any time with no questions asked. We will refund any storage charges that have been prepaid and will either deliver it to the resort one last time, destroy it or ship it to their home for a charge. Things happen in life that we can't control and you've just named a few! We're all about convenience--not complications.
Thanks for the question.
John

JPC
01-14-2007, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=CarolA;16409736]:rolleyes1

Sounds like HIGH HORSE to me. :rotfl2:

QUOTE]

On that note, I will excuse myself from this discussion and let this lead to wherever it leads to.

rigsby25
01-14-2007, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Boston5602;16378563]
I special order laundry tablets to use at Disney ( no mess packing/storing ) Hmmmm could I order them to be delivered to my box someday? QUOTE]

I would like to know more about the laundry tablets.

Bexx
01-15-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't mind the initial charge and as we travel such a long distance we tend to have one longer break rather then a few smaller ones so the extra collection / delivery charges wouldn't affect us but I think $12.50 per month a bit steep. I would be more inclined to use the service if it were $100 or under. Perhaps there could be a sliding scale of fees - the longer you took out your contract for the cheaper the monthly storage fee.

Another DVCer from across the pond here! For the forseeable future we will only be travelling to WDW every two or three years, but because I like to bring a ton of stuff to make our villa feel even more like home for the two weeks we're in it, then this service sounds great (if possibly rather an extravagance, in our case!! :teeth:) It would certainly be helpful for us to pay a bit less per month, if we're definitely going to store stuff for several years, and would there be any sort of discount to take into account our delivery-less years?!!

Fantastic idea though. :goodvibes Whether it ends up benefiting me or not, I wish you the very best of luck with this venture! :)

jdvm
01-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi Bexx,

Holey Moley, that's a good question. Every time I think I've considered every aspect of this service, a really good one like yours comes out of the blue. Not only have we not thought about it, I'm not sure we have a quick answer. Brian and I were both speechless for a few minutes on this one but I think you may have just started the ball rolling for setting up a process to allow Members to "bank" their free yearly delivery if it is not used every year.

Are you coming over soon? It would be great to have you as a test Member to advise us on issues like this!

I lived in England for 15 years, by the way, so I know what you're dealing with! There was soooooo much stuff that we only used in Florida. Which is part of the story of where this business idea came from...but I digress.

Thanks for a great question Bexx

John

Bexx
01-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm very glad it was a useful question! I worried afterwards that it sounded a bit cheeky and opportunistic!!

Are you coming over soon? It would be great to have you as a test Member to advise us on issues like this!

I would love to help out on this, but sadly we're not due back to WDW for another year yet. :sad2:

Boston5602
01-15-2007, 03:40 PM
I special order laundry tablets to use at Disney ( no mess packing/storing ) Hmmmm could I order them to be delivered to my box someday?

I would like to know more about the laundry tablets.

Ok since last night my computer crashed , not software , hardware. I need to drop it off somewhere before I leave for Disney this week. So much for all the info I had waiting to be printed out to use at WDW.

ANYWAYS I found a link in the Disney Tip board for laundry tablets . It cost about $36.00 for 96 loads ( not cheap IMO ) but worth it to bring to WDW. They are packed in sets of two and so easy to pack and no mess!

When/If I get my computer up and running I'll post the link here ( I have it in my favorites) I'm on my sisters now.

waaahhhh wahhhhh :sad:

disneykidatheart
01-15-2007, 05:43 PM
I went to your website and tried to read through it thoroughly. I think I read that you will be offering your service at a select number of resorts. I don't know if you follow the disboards--I am posing this question here so others may benefit from your answer.

It is not unusual for DVC members to start a vacation at one resort and finish at another. It is also common that they will stay at a value or moderate resort on the weekends for cash to save points for future stays. My question is, "What resorts will you be serving?" I don't expect you to name each one. I am wondering if you will be serving all Disney resorts, not just DVC. How about the hotels on Hotel Plaza Boulevard or other nearby hotels? Other timeshares like Marriott or Fairfield at Bonnet Creek? I know you are just dipping your toes into the Storage Locker pond but wonder how wide your service area is to begin. We, for example, will arrive and stay in Sanford (north of Orlando for those of you who do not know) for the first couple days before continuing on to Vero Beach for a couple days and ultimately end up at Old Key West for the last five days. I don't expect that Sanford will be on your route but used my example for those who will be staying in the Orlando area but not on Disney property.

Just thought of another question. "Are the storage lockers insured against loss or damage?" How would those situations be addressed? Heaven forbid I arrive in Orlando to find my locker rolled off the truck on I-4 and my personal and maybe unmentionables are scattered across six lanes.:rotfl2:

I have been reading about a lot of good items to store so far. I will add an extra pair of sunglasses and also reading glasses--I need them everywhere. Also my Clorox wipes! Thanks for your time.

jdvm
01-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi disneykid,

Great questions. First the hotels. When you schedule a visit on our website, you'll be able to specifiy your arrival resort as well as your departure resort. They don't have to be the same but they do need to both be on the list in the drop down box. Generally hotels within a 10 mile radius of the attractions will be OK. We do this because we know a lot of people are exactly like you. In your example,however, Sanford area hotels won't be on our delivery list(because you and I know how far out it is!!).

Now for the liability question. Our contract will state that Owner's Locker's liability will be limited to $100 for damage or loss of the Locker or its contents. In our research, we've found that homeowner's policies normally cover your personal items that would be stored in a Locker....and don't even joke about Lockers on the I-4!!! I'll never get to sleep.
john

TinkTatoo
01-16-2007, 01:45 AM
What I meant by a long term "contract" is the fact that it wouldn't be advantageous for visitors from Europe to pay a monthly fee. In my own case rates between the Euro and the $$ means I would prefer the option to pay upfront so that I can work out the currency rate and know exactly what the locker will cost for a full year (or longer) Also most credit card companies charge an additional fee for each and every International transactions. My own CC charges 2.75% on all transactions with a minimum amount so again a one off payment would help me keep this fee to a minimum.

Also due to the long distances involved we rarely take a quick or impromptu trip and would plan our trips usually at least 18 months in advance. I have a trip booked for July this year and am in the planning stages for our summer 2008 trip, so again If I were getting a locker I'd probably want to pay for at least two years use in one go - hence my suggestion of some sort of fee reduction for this type of commitment.

Just some more ideas for you to think about - It's a great venture and one I'm sure will be a success for you.

Take care
Tink

jdvm
01-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Sorry, Tink, I misunderstood the question. The storage fee will be charged once per year at the rate of $12.50 per month. I think paying a storage charge each month would drive us both nuts!!
John

idratherbeinwdw
01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
I am happy to say I am one of the first actual users of an owner's locker. I wasn't too sure what I'd put in there, but once I started putting things in I found more and more things that made sense to leave. Here is the list of what will be waiting for me in my locker when I return to BWV this coming Sunday :yay: (I made a list so I wouldn't forget)

Vase (I always buy flowers for the room)
Can of Tuna
Jar of Peanut Butter and Jelly (unopened)
Mustard Packets
Mayonaisse Packets
Catsup Packets
Hot Chocolate
AA batteries
Washcloth
Band Aids
Other first aid stuff
Body Lotion
Lighter
Salt
Pepper
Tin foil
Half a bottle of Rum
Room air freshener
Dental Floss
Towel
2 water (empty) water bottles
bathing cap
2 containers body wash
bubblebath
Nail Polish remover
Razor
Shampoo
Conditioner
Sugar packets
Deodorant

And even with all that the locker was in no way stuffed. I am buying a gallon of detergent this trip, and I'm leaving a set of King Sized sheets. I am sure both will easily fit.

graygables
01-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Half a bottle of Rum

For some reason, this had me :lmao: I kept imagining pirate: stopping by and robbing your treasure chest! I like your list, though...lots of great ideas!

idratherbeinwdw
01-16-2007, 08:24 PM
For some reason, this had me :lmao: I kept imagining pirate: stopping by and robbing your treasure chest! I like your list, though...lots of great ideas!

LOL I was thinking about POTC when I listed the rum--"But why is the rum gone?" :rotfl:

PhilUK
01-21-2007, 03:35 PM
You need to post this on the UK Boards ! We always end up leaving essentials behind so we can bring back more souveniers and stuff.

Phil

wisbucky
01-21-2007, 07:19 PM
This is an awesome idea and I think I even mentioned something similiar for Disney to do on these boards quite some time ago. Im excited to see how this takes off for you. As of right now we do leave a rubbermaid container with a friend's son. But it is becoming harder and harder to always arrange pick up and drop of with him.

SleepyatDVC
01-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Just saw this thread tonight!!! How did I miss it before? :eek:

Not sure if the quota for the 100 lockers have been filled yet, but I signed up tonight.

Great idea. Especially for families with kids.

I did leave some of the following comments with our application.

I wonder if there could be special size lockers - even for an additional cost. We have a stroller we ONLY use at WDW, so it would be great not to have to lug it back and forth every trip. Our kids not longer use the car seats especially now that we use ME, but I'm sure some members might want to leave a booster seat for their trips. These are bulkier items that might not fit into a square container.

Another question might be if more than one individual can get access to one locker, For example, different family members going down on 2 separate trips.

I thought of a great item to put in the locker. A REFILLABLE mug!!!!!!! :rotfl2: Since no one in our family drinks a lot of soda, we have never gotten one, but I'm almost tempted to get one just for the locker!!

Can you imagine a member starting a mug collection from every resort and storing it in the locker and pulling the correct one out depending on where they are staying that trip?!!! :rolleyes1 :lmao: :rotfl2: popcorn::

Good luck on succeeding in this venture!

kdzgon
01-23-2007, 09:14 AM
This seems like an excellent idea for everyone at first, but after some thought it seems better suited to storage of more personal items (holiday decorations, "special" bags, hats, etc) than general supplies. It would also be excellent for overseas travelers and very frequent and/or last-minute visitors even for just general supplies.

If a family makes only two visits per year, $180 (the cost of the service) will buy a lot of supplies and/or pay for quite a bit of shipping. It might be worth it anyway just to not have to store that Disney box at home (and have to worry about shipping it), though :goodvibes I also like that it limits waste - I hate discarding perfectly usable items when we head home again.

kristytru
01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
sounds like a GREAT idea! Just finished my application!

CarolA
01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I wanted to post my quick review as a tester

1. The owners are WONDERFUL. I gave them the WRONG month on my check in and they were very good to me and still delivered my locker the next day to SSR.

2. It's bigger then I realized. Actually finding a place to put the thing was a little difficult. At OKW this wouldn't have been a problem, but at SSR the closests just aren't that big. I wound up storing it in the foyer.

3. Here's a brief listing of what I put in mine
Pal Mickey (bought on sale at the outlet since I know I could leave him!)
Beach Towel
Swimsuit Coverup
Suntan lotion (I was flying on to Colorado on business and needed to do carryon so even if it expires this was a good idea)
Tote Bag (one of those large ones they sell at the gift shop)
Disney Crocs
Bubble Bath
Expandable duffle bag (what I hauled the stuff to Disney in)
Two t-shirts (cutting down on the luggage to haul to Coloado0
Disney pins and lanyard
Hat
Travel Candle
Sweatshirt
Jacket
Corkscrew
Extra ziplocks
Package of Olay Facial Cloths
Disney Wallet on a string
Disney String backpack
Extra Ziplock bags

I think that's it.

4. I was not sure that as a single person this was a great idea but the truth is that it will allow me to have some of the above "nice to haves" like a beach towel at Disney and still do a carryon luggage deal for a short weekend trip which I think may be it's best selling point for me.

As I said, the owners have been great to work with even when I had the mental meltdown!

jdvm
01-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey CarolA,

Thanks for your comments and we're pleased everything worked out for you. Our website should be fully functional in the next couple of months and you will be able to schedule your visits on the site (as well as view your confidential on-line inventory and a bunch of oher neat stuff).

But, you know, we're very aware that mistakes happen and that we're dealing with people's vacations so we always want to be a phone call away. Brian and I have a firm goal of always having a human at the other end of the line for our Members...and while you may have thought you were high maintenance, we just smiled because it worked out and you found it convenient. Getting your Locker to you was great fun, actually. I was in Miami at a function with my wife when I got your PM on my cell phone. I quickly spoke with Brian back in Orlando and we had your Locker waiting for you when you checked into Saratoga Springs the next day. It was our pleasure.

I'm particularly pleased that, as a singler teraveler, you find that Owner's Locker makes sense for you. A lot of people think that because they drive instead of fly, don't have kids, etc. Owner's Locker may not be for them.
Your post shows how having things already here instead of having to lug them back and forth can make things more convenient for anyone.

kdzgon, you make an excellent point on wasting. You don't know how many times we threw perfectly good stuff away before we started using a Locker to store things between visits. And you're right, shipping things can be cheaper--and you don't exactly have to pay for the space your stuff takes upin your garage or closet! But have a look at the photos on our blog showing what all we were able to fit in a Locker. The one shown has over $350 worth of stuff in it. It adds up quickly.

Sleepy at DVC. Great point about the stroller Locker. We already have Golf, Tennis, Christmas and Clothes Lockers in the pipeline and we just added a Stroller Locker to the list. We'll also have an "Out of the Box" feature on our website where our Members can ask about storing just about anything that doesn't move--wheelchairs, bicycles, canoes--even cars.
John

kdzgon
01-26-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm so excited - I'm already planning my list of what we will want to leave in Florida and what we will need to bring back for our other (non-Disney) trips. We sold our boat recently and have lots of duplicates that I think will come in handy and I can leave without missing here. Great timing for us, John!!
Thanks so much!

Laurie

jdvm
01-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Hey Laurie, you make a really good point about duplicating things. I call this the "second home mentality" and there are a couple of (too long) pieces I've written on our blog about how Owner's Locker can allow you to treat your vacation club like a second home.

You may tend at first to think of the Locker as a place to keep things you don't want to constantly buy when you arrive and then throw away when you leave. But as you get used to the concept of having a place to store things between visits, you might begin to think of your Locker as a place to keep things that will make you feel at home when you're here.

For some people that may be sentimental champagne glasses, a vase for flowers only used when on vacation, or a cast iron skillet becasue that's really the only way some foods taste good.

Now you know what to do with all of that stuff from the boat!!!

John

iluvdisney
02-02-2007, 03:55 PM
I just got home the other day from a wonderful vacation and just want to say that the Owner's Locker is the best idea!

Of course, I always said to myself after almost every trip that I have to make a box so I can just store the stuff I want to bring down with me everytime and always need. Well, now I don't have to worry because I used the Owner's Locker for the first time this past week and was able to leave the "regular stuff we use" in it and just left it with the bellman.

Carol - I found that the box stored easily under the sink in the studio I was staying in.

I also got an email from John and Brian that my locker had arrived safe and sound and will be waiting for my return.

Thank you guys!:cheer2:

ReneeQ
02-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't mind storing a non-stick frying pan, for when we stay in a 1 or 2 BR. I don't think I've seen that mentioned. Fitted sheets would also be nice (though that's already been mentioned). But at least every other trip we stay in a studio, so wouldn't need the frying pan for the studio. The price might be too steep for me, as some of my trips are also solo and in a studio. But I do love the whole idea.

I just checked what's in my "Disney box" and some other things I could leave (that I haven't seen mentioned) are my pop up laundry hamper, my Cool Max socks and a few pair of leggins.

Is the one free delivery/pick up allowed once per calendar year, or once every 12 months?

jdvm
02-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Hey ReneeQ

Good question about the yearly free delivery. First of all, when you sign up, your Locker will be delivered free to your resort for your initial visit. It will also be picked up free at the end of your initial visit. The storage fees will begin when your Locker comes into the warehouse "loaded" for the first time. Your "year" would also begin then (should we call it your Owner's Locker use year??). Hope this makes sense.

Believe it or not, a cast iron skillet came up a couple of times in our research as a likely item people would store in a Locker!

My oldest daughter goes to school in Savannah, by the way. What a beautiful place!!
John

disneykidatheart
02-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Just wanted to report that our recent experience with the Owner's Locker worked great! We were lucky to be chosen as one of the test users of the Owner's Locker. It was delivered to Old Key West as promised and we were notified at check in that the locker was there.
The box seems huge at first but you will be surprised how fast you can fill it. In the end I had to take a few things home that I would have liked to leave. We will probably switch things out next time as we figure out what is truly convenient to leave. By the time we returned home from the airport we found an email stating that our box was back home in storage.
Another thing I would like to mention is the excellent communication John and Brian provide regarding questions and other information. They seem to be making every effort to make the usage of the Owner's Locker user friendly.
I have seen the list of things others have left in their lockers and most of mine are duplicates but I do have a few others.

Make-up and curling iron, one set of underwear (I have been in Florida while my bags decided to spend the night in Dallas and it is pretty miserable trying to start the vacation without the necessities.)
Other items include a small softside cooler for day trips, toothpicks, sudoku book and paperback, small cross stitch kit.

The box can get heavy pretty fast. My husband regretted leaving it to the last trip down from the third floor to our rental car.:)

ladyandtramp
02-20-2007, 02:39 PM
This is so funny - the last few trips my hubby and I made to Florida, we kept thinking, wouldn't it be great to have some place to store this stuff that we end up buying when we are down here, or that we only use at WDW (my Mickey Ears, etc! :earboy2:) so we don't have to lug the stuff everytime.
We even thought of a business along this line - wondered if it would flourish :) .

So, best of luck to you - great idea :) - I will be looking over the web site to see if it would be cost-effective for us (there is just the two of us).

WebmasterDoc
02-20-2007, 04:59 PM
We just returned Sunday from our 2nd OwnersLocker trip. Our locker was waiting for us at OKW and, thankfully, the Bell Staff brought it to our villa for us (I had to sit on it to close the lid last trip and it weighs a "ton").

Everything was as we left it and it made packing for this trip really easy since we had so much already there. We changed to an off-site exchange after 5 days and the Bell staff again carried and stored the locker for us (with our other luggage) until we picked up our rental car to go to our other destination.

Our return was also uneventful - as we just left the box at the front desk (there is a placard mounted on the side stating "Hold for ownersLocker Representative"). By the time we arrived home there was an email letting us know our box was back at the warehouse, ready for our next trip!

Everything has been very smooth and the OwnersLocker staff has been a delight to work with. They are also well respected at the DVC resorts and have worked hard to establish a working protocol at the resorts.

All is well! :)

DutchsMommy
02-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Other things you might want to leave:

Sand toys for the kids
Fishing rod
Diapers/Pull Ups for the kids (ok, maybe adults too ;) )
Sweater/Hoodie for those cool nights
Every piece of summer clothes if you are coming in from up North!

Great idea - wishing you success.

bavaria
02-21-2007, 11:15 AM
First off, my apologies to JDVM for being so late with my review. I was hesitant to sign up for the ‘test drive’ of a locker at first, as I am not the ‘typical’ WDW/DVC traveler. I usually travel alone, and have friends join me for a few days during my trip. But since I also travel about 300 days/year, I thought that I might be able to offer a different perspective on the locker and its usefulness.

When I travel for work, I am gone for anywhere from 11 days to six weeks or more. Obviously, when one travels that much, a hotel room becomes home. As a result, I travel with more items than a normal Monday to Friday business traveler. The same is true for my vacation travel – I want to make my hotel room as comfortable as possible. Plus, being a DVC member I am spending less time at the parks and more time at the resorts and restaurants.

So here are my thoughts/comments/observations.

Arrival – my locker was delivered before my arrival. I did not get it until the next day, due in part to an 11pm check in. Lesson learned – be proactive and ask for your locker

Size – WOW. I was expecting a smallish recycle box, not a large box with dividers and a sewing type knick knack box for small items.

Transporting the box – I moved resorts 3x during my stay, each time with my locker. While I normally would not use bell services, I did each time. I suspect that the bell staff like the concept as it results in more usage for them. The box was light enough for me to move about the room. I did find an easy space to store it in each type of room/studio I stayed.

Contents – I traveled down with a 25 inch suitcase and laptop, and did some shopping on my first day. My goal was to leave items in my locker to make future stays more ‘homey’ and not to have to transport those items. So what did I store? (I didn’t make a list, as suggested – the locker comes with one you can fill in so that you remember for your next trip)
• Jar of Nutella
• Sandwich maker
• Cutlery
• Plastic plates
• Salt/pepper
• Coffee filters
• New pack of Starbucks coffee
• Jars of hummus
• Travel size bottle of Tide
• Pair of slides
• Full size H2O shampoo/conditioner
• Full size chocolate body wash
• Full size contact lens fluid
• Travel sewing kit
• Large travel candle and matches
• A lot of smaller items I can’t recall – a surprise for when I return!
• And the crowning touch…… a DUVET

I never learned to sleep in sheets and blankets, and they are my number one pet peeve about WDW/DVC. I brought a lightweight duvet and was in heaven for 2 weeks – no more sleepless nights tangled in sheets and avoiding the ick factor of ‘used’ blankets.

Looking at the list above, it covers items I would use in both a studio and regular hotel room (my usual pattern is studio + regular hotel room). I also stocked up on some food items for the first day or night; this past trip my late arrival meant that even room service was closed, and since I travel internationally I can’t always bring food with me.

Are all of those items ‘must haves’? Maybe not, but for me they are. I don’t understand going on vacation and being less comfortable than at home. Vacation is where one should relax and not worry that one doesn’t smell as nice as usual, or is missing a key item.

So thumbs up to John and his service – I highly recommend it, and see how it can meet the needs of a variety of travelers.

CarolA
02-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Oh I love the Duvet idea. Where did you buy it?

That may have to get added.

I also felt that I was not a "normal" traveler. Like Barvaria I travel a lot and travel solo. Lately however I have been traveling to the same place OVER AND OVER AND OVER again and I just store things at the hotel so this is the same concept.

(And what are slides?)

bavaria
02-21-2007, 06:06 PM
The duvet was about $12 USD at Ikea! and the cover was about $14; I had others but wanted a new one to go with the new duvet. On my last day, I aired out the duvet on the balcony chair, removed the cover and took it home to wash, while I replaced the duvet into the locker (although John did need to repack for me as my squashing skills are not as good as his! ;) )

by 'slides' I mean something like this

http://www.landsend.co.uk/content/ebiz/landsend/icat/199907/f1999071_1999.jpg but mine are a little different with one wide band. I always have a pair in case I have a suspect looking carpet in my hotel room. They are very comfortable for wearing around the room, out on the balcony, etc. I left a lime green pair in my locker and have the hot pink pair in my suitcase...

wingawh
02-28-2007, 09:43 AM
WOW, what a service.

We arrived on Satruday afternoon and had to ask for the locker on Sunday. Bell services found it promptly and handed it over.

The locker is great. Plenty of room for just about anything you want to put in in. The dividers and the plasitc small box was a great idea.

Upon our departure yesterday we dropped it at Bell Services and by the time I arrived home I had an email saying it had been picked up by Owners Locker.

We are looking forward to having our goodies when we return the next time.

aprince&princess
03-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Are there any items that are not allowed to be stored? I was surprised that someone had stored a lighter in their locker. I would think that flammable items would be a concern? Just a thought.

wingawh
03-04-2007, 08:52 AM
When you first get your locker, once you arrive at your resort, there is a packet of information that spells out all the Do's and Don'ts. I was pleased with all the items you could put in the lockler.

For those of us who frequent the 'World it will be a nice addition.

jdvm
03-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi aprince&princess,
Thanks for your comment....and you're right, someone DID list a lighter as one of the items in their Locker. As wingawh (one of our Beta Trial Members) pointed out, you are given a set of do's and don'ts when you get your Locker and we advise against certain items such as food items, damp or dirty clothes and anything prohibited by Florida law. We obviously don't want people storing solvents or highly flammable liquids but we are aware that more than one Locker contains a bottle or two of drinkable yet flammable liquid!
I think the best way to think of these Lockers is as being like a place that you would store things in your house. You'd be comfortable with a lighter or a bottle of nail polish remover in a drawer in your home. But the can of paint thinner just shouldn't be stored in the house. I should also point out that our Lockers aren't subjected to the extreme heat and cold and pressure--or lack thereof--of an airplane luggage area. Our warehouse is climate controlled so it's really not very different that a closet in your home.
I hope this makes sense and thanks again for your comments.
John

NewJersey
03-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Wow, great idea!

rsschneck
03-30-2007, 06:56 PM
I used the owners locker for the first time last week. This is a GREAT service! :thumbsup2

When I checked into SSR the CM said I had a message that my owners locker was waiting at Bell Services for me. So, I went to Bell Services and not only was my owners locker their but so was my luggage from ME. So, they got all of our items together and loaded them on the golf cart and away we went to our Villa.

The box is much bigger than I anticipated. I had packed an extra 22" suitcase with all the items I wanted to leave in my owners locker and we still have room for more items.

I received an email after we had left that the locker had been picked up.

I will enjoy this service for FREE for 2 years and I am sure I will be hooked as an ongoing customer.

We travel from the West Coast and to have beach towels and slippers waiting for me while on vacation is really going to be nice! There will be so many items I do not have to remember to bring from now on that I will be looking forward to packing for our next DVC trip.

I will list some of the items I included in our locker
swim goggles
sun glasses
baseball hat
3 beach towels
slippers
Lanyard w/ pins
plastic dishes & utensils (when we stay in studio)
full sized lotion, shampoo
room spray and bug spray
3 heavy rain ponchos
misc. items (laundry detergent, softener sheets, shout, new sponge)
Dry items (splenda, coffee creamer, salt n pepper, garlic salt, cocoa
packets, tea bags)
There are other items I can't remember

My DD even put her EPCOT kidcot mask in there because she had not finished getting all the countries. It will be a nice surprise when she sees it next time and completes the mask.

TinkTatoo
03-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Any news on when the service is going "live"

jdvm
03-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi Tink and thanks for the question. The countdown clock is ticking and the announcement will be coming soon. I don't want to jinx anything by mentioning a date. And we also don't want to launch without being ready.

Our Trial is going very, very well and our volunteers have been fantastic. The last of our 100 trial Lockers are going out this week (and some of them have more two three and even four laps!) Everything is working smoothly and we will begin testing the website this weekend and will put it up for our volunteer Beta trail Members to put it through its paces.

As soon as we're comfortable that everything is functional, we'll be contacting folks who applied to be volunteers and weren't accepted (we really needed people who were coming to Orlando soon) and folks who've been registering on our website to allow them to sign up first. Then, we'll be making an announcement on The DIS. Stay tuned. Can't Wait!

John

CarolA
04-01-2007, 05:08 PM
All I can say is that I am hooked. Having used my locker for it's first visit after the intial "filling" I can say it does make things easier. Pick up and drop off has gone very well (and that includes my last visit where the locker was delivered to CBR)

My only "recommendation" from my first use was a better place to store the seals and I noticed this time they had fixed that so that the seals didn't fall out and get lost this time.

disneyeveryyear
04-12-2007, 12:59 PM
We used our locker for the first time last week and Bell Services brought it and my water up to the room at OKW with no problems.

On the last weekend, the kiddos and I moved to All-Star Sports and used the Disney luggage option. When we checked in and went to our room after a long day at Epcot, all of our luggage and our locker were there are ready to go. I had left in my name card and just scratched out OKW and wrote in A-SS. I think next time if we move around I'll just print up some big cards to put in it.

A-SS was a little uncertain what to do when I asked them to come pick it up and put it in luggage storage (I was told we were the first to use the A-Ss), but when I got home I got my e-mail that it was all safe and sound.

This is a great product and service.

Thanks guys!

dvc at last !
04-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Owner locker ?

Love the idea. Keep me posted. :cool1:

jdvm
04-16-2007, 07:06 PM
HI DVC,
We're getting very close to launching. If you want to be notified of our progress, head over to our website and sign up.
John

KrisSmith
04-16-2007, 09:46 PM
I think this sounds like a great idea, being new DVCers ourselves.

What would you think about 2 families sharing one locker? Aside from the obvious cost of extra deliveries it seems like it could net out at a better price. We are friends with another DVC family, sometimes we vacation with them, sometimes separately. Would you be OK with 2 families sharing a contract?

LIFERBABE
04-16-2007, 10:30 PM
I had a great experience with my OL too!!:thumbsup2

I posted on the site, but I will post it here too. I wanted some really cute, luggage for my birthday, but decided against it, because I would have to check it with all the forbidden items I had to carry, but now I left all that in my OL and can travel lite and cute!!princess:

It's a great service and we are hooked!

jdvm
04-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Hey KrisSmith,

Of course you can share. You can allow anyone you'd like to use your Locker. If you do want to do some sort of fee splitting, we would like to have just one of you as a Member and you can have whatever financial arrangement you'd like with people you let use your Locker. When a visit is scheduled (and you can even authorize the person sharing your Locker to schedule visits) we will ask for the name the actual reservation is in and that's what we put on the Locker when it is taken to the resort.

Hope this makes sense.

John

p.s. thanks for the kind words, Liferbabe!!

dvc at last !
04-17-2007, 03:53 PM
HI DVC,
We're getting very close to launching. If you want to be notified of our progress, head over to our website and sign up.
John

jdvm,

Yes I do want to know of the progress.
Head over to our website and sign up ?
What website ?
Thanks. :cool1:

jdvm
04-17-2007, 04:46 PM
ooooooooooooops

www.ownerslocker.com

j

TinkTatoo
05-04-2007, 05:07 AM
Great news that you're open for business - just off to sign up now :woohoo:

kdzgon
05-05-2007, 07:12 AM
The duvet was about $12 USD at Ikea! and the cover was about $14; I had others but wanted a new one to go with the new duvet. On my last day, I aired out the duvet on the balcony chair, removed the cover and took it home to wash, while I replaced the duvet into the locker (although John did need to repack for me as my squashing skills are not as good as his! ;) )

two words: SPACE BAG. Seriously, these things are really great, especially for something like a nice, fluffy duvet. Use another space bag and I'll bet you can add a pillow to go with your duvet!

mikesmom
05-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Let me add a "Way to go" on this service also. We not only had a trip in January where we used it, we had a very unexpected return 3 days after departure. The OL people turned on a dime and got that box back to us where and when we needed it. It made the 2nd trip VERY easy as we didn't have to run out and shop for necessities.

As an aside, I had to travel out of town in the last week and stay in a hotel while DH had surgery. I definitely wished I had an owners locker there!

LIFERBABE
05-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Let me add a "Way to go" on this service also. We not only had a trip in January where we used it, we had a very unexpected return 3 days after departure. The OL people turned on a dime and got that box back to us where and when we needed it. It made the 2nd trip VERY easy as we didn't have to run out and shop for necessities.

As an aside, I had to travel out of town in the last week and stay in a hotel while DH had surgery. I definitely wished I had an owners locker there!

Mikesmom, that is impressive that they were able to turn your locker around so quickly!
I hope all is well with your Dh:grouphug:

UncleKyle
05-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Is the locker big enough to hold a pillow on top of everything? I have a really bad neck and have to travel with a special neck pillow. Would be nice to leave one so I don't have to lug it on a plane every time. Thanks!

kdzgon
05-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Is the locker big enough to hold a pillow on top of everything? I have a really bad neck and have to travel with a special neck pillow. Would be nice to leave one so I don't have to lug it on a plane every time. Thanks!

if there is not enough room due to LOTS of stuff in the locker, get a SPACE BAG. (They have ones that don't require a vacuum cleaner) - works like a charm!

idratherbeinwdw
05-06-2007, 05:39 PM

It's definitely big enough to fit a cervical pillow. I've thought of leaving mine, but I am too cheap to buy an extra one for the 3-5 times a year I travel to WDW, so I just pack it with my luggage.

Of course the pillow will take up a good amount of space, but I'd say you'd still have about 3/4ths of the locker left for other things.

jade1
05-06-2007, 06:32 PM
It's definitely big enough to fit a cervical pillow. I've thought of leaving mine, but I am too cheap to buy an extra one for the 3-5 times a year I travel to WDW, so I just pack it with my luggage.

Of course the pillow will take up a good amount of space, but I'd say you'd still have about 3/4ths of the locker left for other things.

DW really likes a very thin pillow and hates those fat ones at the resorts-maybe a thin one would be OK to leave in there. I could almost see leaving a digital camera in there since we actually do have a few now (just dump them on the laptop which we now bring) or bring the SD card home-kids have gotten them for XMAS etc, maybe a shaver, swim googles/shoes. Sounds like a nice option.

LIFERBABE
05-06-2007, 07:33 PM
If you want an idea of how big the Locker is, and what it can hold, this is what I did............

I had my items ready to put in the locker. At home, after careful measurement, I used an 18Gal/68L storage tub (from Target) with Lid to match the size of the OL I would be receiving. I packed all my items in ziplocs and made sure everything fit with the lid before transferring it into my suitcase. These items filled 1 large suitcase and 1/2 of another. I made sure I took suitcases that would fit inside each other for the trip back, because I would only need to bring home clothes and electronics. Well everything went into the locker perfectly!!!!

I did use the sorting case, but not the partitions. Since everything was in ziplocs, I didnt need them. The partitions came apart easily and I laid them flat in the bottom of the locker in case I needed them in the future. Very nice design!

My proudest achievement for my locker, was that I was able to pack my 1000 thread count sheet set (fitted sheet, flat sheet and 3 pillow cases) which weighed close to 8 pounds in my locker! I put that in first and then lined up all the ziplocs and then piled more on top. I even left a lightweight silky robe.

Each Ziploc was a Category:

Swim stuff-goggles, water balls, a full size inflatable pool lounger bnib, my DVC Beach Towel, string backpacks, DVC inflatable beach ball,

Kitchen Stuff-Mickey whisk and pizza cutter, S&amp;P, seasonings, coffee filters, paring knives, big knife, wet ones, sweeteners, micro pop, hot chocolate, cutting board, my cooling racks for waffles and cookies, magnets, chip clips, pens, scotch tape, permanent marker, batteries,

ToiletryStuff-Big Sam's Club big bottles of Pantene Shampoo and Cond. Lubriderm, Sunscreen (will be good for next trip)Tylenol, tweezers, grooming kit, sewing kit, bandaids, neosporin, skin cream, toothpaste, toothbrushes, sanitary items,I purchased body wash, scrub, moisturizerand candles from SSR Spa and left those in my locker,

Laundry Stuff-collapsible mesh hamper, tide tabs, bleach tabs, fabric softener

a powerstrip, an extension cord, Mickey poncho, 1 pkg plastic wine glasses, 2 plastic champagne flutes, a padlock, cable and keys,

...........................:HTH:goodvibes

kdzgon
05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
thanks for the details, liferbabe - one Q, tho - why the padlock, cable and kets - are they for the locker, or something else I'm missing?

LIFERBABE
05-06-2007, 10:37 PM
thanks for the details, liferbabe - one Q, tho - why the padlock, cable and kets - are they for the locker, or something else I'm missing?

:lmao: Ok, I had to get my mind out of the gutter!! :rotfl2:

Not for the locker, but we plan on getting bikes (rent or purchase) for our 2 week stay over the summer and there are bike racks at each DTD entrance, Fort Wilderness and other locations, so the lock is for the bikes.:rolleyes1

DISNEY FIX
05-07-2007, 06:15 AM