PDA

View Full Version : Very close to buying - couple questions about contract sizes?

VinceL
01-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Ok, we are very close to buying at BWV either thru Disney or resale, will depend on deals available when we pull the trigger. I've seen a lot of people talking about buying two smaller contracts instead of one larger one. I wanted to see what the advantages and dis-advantages of doing this is? We are probably going to buy between 200 and 300 points. I know two advantages of splitting these up are the fact that you can sell one of the contracts if you need to, and you can will the contracts to two separate people when you pass on. Are there other advantages? I would think that a big dis-advantage would be that if you have two different use years that it could be a pain to keep track of your points as far as banking and borrowing.

Also, how difficult is to to transfer pionts from one contract to another? Also, once i do buy, are there times when Disney will offer me additional points at a discount at BWV or do they just do this for SSR and the newer resorts as they come? Thanks in advance for the info!

browniemtb
01-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Splitting the contracts is just a smart thing to do in my opinion. God forbod if a financial crisis hit unloading one contract may ease that burden. Also if you ever get sick of Disney all together selling two contracts at 150 pts each would be a lot easier than one at 300 points. If you buy through Disney they will give you the same UY, so no problem there. If you buy resale just put in a request for two contracts that have the same UY.....If you buy at the same resort there really is no need to tranfer from one contract to another. Lastly being that BWV is sold out there are no add on deals there, just the newer resorts like SSR or soon to be VAKL will give you the promo.
Good Luck in your decision...
Brownie

LisaS
01-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Ok, we are very close to buying at BWV either thru Disney or resale, will depend on deals available when we pull the trigger. I've seen a lot of people talking about buying two smaller contracts instead of one larger one. I wanted to see what the advantages and dis-advantages of doing this is? We are probably going to buy between 200 and 300 points. I know two advantages of splitting these up are the fact that you can sell one of the contracts if you need to, and you can will the contracts to two separate people when you pass on. Are there other advantages? I would think that a big dis-advantage would be that if you have two different use years that it could be a pain to keep track of your points as far as banking and borrowing.You're correct on the advantages. The disadvantages are that buying two contracts on the resale market instead of one means you will pay twice the closing costs and you might have to wait a while to find a second contract with the same UY and the right number of points. What I did was purchase my first contract on the resale market and then add on the rest of the points I wanted directly from Disney. Disney does not charge closing costs to members and will sell you whatever number of points you want (minimum 25) in your same Use Year and start you off with current Use Year points with your purchase.

Also, how difficult is to to transfer pionts from one contract to another?If you purchase your second contract on the resale market and it has the same UY and has the same names on the deed, you should be able to have it set up as an "add on" to your initial/master contract. If you purchase your second contract from Disney, they will only sell you the same UY and will set it up as an "add on" by default. You do not need to transfer points between a master and an add-on -- you can use them as one big pool of points. (If the two contracts are for different resorts, you can only pool the points to make a reservation inside the 7-month window.)

If you purchased a contract with a different UY, then you will have two totally separate master contracts under separate membership numbers. If you wanted to combine the points, you can make one transfer per UY (in or out) per membership so if you make a transfer from one master contract to the other, that uses up your one transfer for each account. Instead, you can use points from both contracts to make a reservations by booking as many whole nights as you can from each contract and linking the two reservations together. You'll end up with some stray points in each contract this way, but it doesn't use up your one transfer.

Also, once i do buy, are there times when Disney will offer me additional points at a discount at BWV or do they just do this for SSR and the newer resorts as they come? Thanks in advance for the info!Generally they only offer incentives for the resort they are currently selling. But they have offered some discounts on other resorts. Last summer they were offering points at VB (and HHI?) at a $5/pt discount. But I wouldn't expect to see any discounts at BWV because they have no trouble selling those at full price (currently $95/pt).

Hope that helps!

VinceL
01-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks very much for the help!