PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else start with just

goofydad621
01-08-2007, 11:50 AM
a 25 or 50 point contract and then keeping adding more?

I really have been waiting for years to buy into the DVC but have not been able too. I have a small lump some coming and am thinking of buying between 25 and 50 points to start then add when I can.

Who else has had to do this?

Thanks Dave

korbbec
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I haven't done it yet, but that is my plan. I just passes ROFR on a 50 pt contract and once that is paid I was to purchase a 35 point add on at one of the new resorts for the extra years. Who knows what will happen from there.:goodvibes

Lisa_M
01-08-2007, 12:44 PM
My husband and I are considering a 50 pt contract buy in, but not only because of the price of a 150 pt contract, but also because it's just the two of us and we don't need that many points. I think Disney's minimum of 150 is a little high considering not everyone will need that many points. I think they do it to weed out the folks that can't or dont' want to spend that much money on Disney.

lisaviolet
01-08-2007, 01:08 PM
a 25 or 50 point contract and then keeping adding more?

I really have been waiting for years to buy into the DVC but have not been able too. I have a small lump some coming and am thinking of buying between 25 and 50 points to start then add when I can.

Who else has had to do this?

Thanks Dave

I haven't done that Dave. But, besides the frustration of resales's ROFR, it is an excellent option. There are times when I wished we had started that way.

Disney allows you as an owner to add-on at any time without closing costs.
So if you snag a small contract resale well you are now an owner and can take your time to add-on. This is great for so many reasons:

Disney gives you the same UY on the add-ons...no different UY and totally separate contracts ...they are separate but become "attached " to the original contract. Become -02, -03 etc. Ease of usage
separate small contracts sell quickly on resale so if you own multiple, small contracts you always have a "gem" for selling in the future for whatever reason
large contracts can not be broken up ..therefore you can't ever sell a small amount of points for $$$ needed or changing your point total easily
small, mulitiple contracts are good for will issues
adding on this way means that you never buy more than you can carry financially

Smart move. If you do decide most small contracts don't even make the reseller's listings. They are sold before they are posted. Because all resellers allow potential buyers to phone in their requests and when a small contract comes in they will phone you first before posting it. So I would put in requests at a few of the major resellers. All the best to you,

Lisa

disneybass
01-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I bought a 50 point resale at OKW for the two of us to stay in a studio once a year. We made our first trip home the first week of Nov. and loved it, but I kept thinking of all the extra room in the one bedroom vila. Quick as we got home I added on 40 more points from Disney so we can do the once a year trip in the one bedroom villa.:thumbsup2

lisaviolet
01-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Double post...whoops.

lisaviolet
01-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I bought a 50 point resale at OKW for the two of us to stay in a studio once a year. We made our first trip home the first week of Nov. and loved it, but I kept thinking of all the extra room in the one bedroom vila. Quick as we got home I added on 40 more points from Disney so we can do the once a year trip in the one bedroom villa.:thumbsup2

And that is actually what I am talking about Dave. If you can afford it Disney makes it so easy to add a small number of points at any time (minimum 25 can be 26, 32....50+ for financing). Now disneybass and spouse/partner have two contracts that are linked to each other. However, they can easily sell one on the market if they need $$$ or they like a new resort in the future and want to sell one OKW for the new resort. It's a great plan where you can really think about your habits and your future, financially and with DVC planning.

Sorry to speak about you in the third person disneybass. Once you enter that OKW one bedroom, step out onto the balcony. Oh boy there is no going back. Beware!!! Congrats...

byoung
01-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Good luck on your decision.

Fatalbie
01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
I am trying like heck to convince my wife this is a good idea. She throws up the hurdles of $$ and not wanting to go to Disney every year. I read above about putting in a request for a smaller point purchase, smaller than the 150 min currently required.
1. Does the Timeshare Store take or entertain such requests for serious buyers?
2. If after that I wish to add on, do I need to wait for another small contract on the resale or can I add anywhere? ex . SSR for the extra use years and lower fees. I assume there are no small contracts available for SSR otherwise.
Thanks,
Jim

deide71
01-09-2007, 01:18 AM
We started with a 20pt resale @SSR, then last year when they offered the Friends and Family promo for 83.xx/pt we added on 120pts. Last month we decided to add on another 30pts to make an even 200pts, enough for 6 nights in a 2br in October.

DH says we are done...we'll see:rotfl: !

PinkTink63
01-09-2007, 04:59 AM
I am trying like heck to convince my wife this is a good idea. She throws up the hurdles of $$ and not wanting to go to Disney every year. I read above about putting in a request for a smaller point purchase, smaller than the 150 min currently required.
2. If after that I wish to add on, do I need to wait for another small contract on the resale or can I add anywhere? ex . SSR for the extra use years and lower fees. I assume there are no small contracts available for SSR otherwise.
Thanks,
Jim

Give the Timeshare Store a call or email. They will let you know when something comes up. That was our original plan and then the F&F deal came up last year for $83/pt. plus previous years pts. So we decided to take the plunge!:banana:

Stephanie

Caitsmama
01-09-2007, 12:36 PM
I was just thinking about this.. I definately want to buy into DVC at some point -- however, i just started wondering about the smaller contracts (about 50pts), If i could pay cash upfront for the entire thing,seems like the way to go..
But, i am so new to all this..lol. And if i am reading it right - seems like for about 50pts, you could do a value season for 5 nights for about 40-50 pts.

So, if you can get a package for 5k or under, basically.. you are set for 35 years for that price correct??
And it's nice to know that you can add on for as little as 25pts thru WDW at any time..

DisDaydreamer
01-09-2007, 01:10 PM
I was just thinking about this.. I definately want to buy into DVC at some point -- however, i just started wondering about the smaller contracts (about 50pts), If i could pay cash upfront for the entire thing,seems like the way to go..
But, i am so new to all this..lol. And if i am reading it right - seems like for about 50pts, you could do a value season for 5 nights for about 40-50 pts.

So, if you can get a package for 5k or under, basically.. you are set for 35 years for that price correct??
And it's nice to know that you can add on for as little as 25pts thru WDW at any time..

When we bought in 8 years ago we bought 200 points and that is really plenty for us now, but with VAK coming up we really wish we had (known to)split our contracts into 50 point contracts because we can't sell just a portion of our points to buy some VAK points... we have to sell the whole contract. So we are probably not going to get any VAK add-on.

As far as just going to Disney.... we have had 14+ stays and only 4 of them have been at WDW. We've gone to the Tanque Verde Ranch in Tucson, to Grove Park Inn in Ashville, to Hilton head a couple times, and to Vero Beach 8 or more times.

Good Luck with your decisions :thumbsup2

crk1971
01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Quick question about add ons seeing this is the topic, do i have to buy add-on points for my home resort or can i purchase for other resorts, and then do i get home resort priveleges with that small add on purchase. I am sure this has been asked before but i have become inundated with DVC info, we just got a 100 pt contract at OKW(received closing docs today) and we are trying to figure out the best way to spread the magic! I aplogize for the repost, but I thank you as well for your responses.

Anal Annie
01-09-2007, 02:24 PM
When we bought in 8 years ago we bought 200 points and that is really plenty for us now, but with VAK coming up we really wish we had (known to)split our contracts into 50 point contracts because we can't sell just a portion of our points to buy some VAK points... we have to sell the whole contract. So we are probably not going to get any VAK add-on.

As far as just going to Disney.... we have had 14+ stays and only 4 of them have been at WDW. We've gone to the Tanque Verde Ranch in Tucson, to Grove Park Inn in Ashville, to Hilton head a couple times, and to Vero Beach 8 or more times.

Good Luck with your decisions :thumbsup2

I'm new - just bought at SSR in Dec. - but I'm failing to understand what the big deal is about WHERE you buy since you can USE any of the DVC resorts (with only the reservation priority period being less elsewhere). We bought 250 pts. split into 2 contracts (for the re-sale ability) and because we're hoping to maximize being able to use the cruiseline by banking & borrowing pts. + utilize the entire timeshare aspect by going to other destinations (like Hawaii every 5th yr. or so). Glad to see someone else out there experiments with these other destinations! Anxious to try Vero one day too!

flechette
01-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm new - just bought at SSR in Dec. - but I'm failing to understand what the big deal is about WHERE you buy since you can USE any of the DVC resorts (with only the reservation priority period being less elsewhere). We bought 250 pts. split into 2 contracts (for the re-sale ability) and because we're hoping to maximize being able to use the cruiseline by banking & borrowing pts. + utilize the entire timeshare aspect by going to other destinations (like Hawaii every 5th yr. or so). Glad to see someone else out there experiments with these other destinations! Anxious to try Vero one day too!

Hey Annie!

If you don't care where you stay - where you buy is no big deal. But from reading the boards here you may have trouble booking certain resorts at certain times- VWL at Xmas, BW or BVC during Oct (food and wine fest at Epcot) Hilton Head July and Aug - all seem to have very low if any availability at the 7 month mark for non home people.

If you have your heart staying at VWL every Christmas, buying SSR is not a great choice. If you're just happy to be at Disney and who cares where you're at- then your doing just fine;)

Trebor
01-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Quick question about add ons seeing this is the topic, do i have to buy add-on points for my home resort or can i purchase for other resorts, and then do i get home resort priveleges with that small add on purchase. I am sure this has been asked before but i have become inundated with DVC info, we just got a 100 pt contract at OKW(received closing docs today) and we are trying to figure out the best way to spread the magic! I aplogize for the repost, but I thank you as well for your responses.

You can buy add-ons at any resort. You do get home resort advantage with that add-on, but only for the amount of points you have at that resort. So, if you were to add-on 25 points at BVW, you could book 100 points at OKW at the 11 month window, 25 points at BVW at the 11 month window, and 125 points anywhere you wanted at the 7 month window (of course, this doesn't consider banking/borrowing/etc.).

Trebor
01-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks,
Jim

It's my understanding that a lot of these small contracts sell before they're ever listed, so definitely call TTS (or your broker of choice) and get on a waiting list.

It definitely sounds like a small contract is the way to go for your situation. With the banking and borrowing rules, you can get a small contract, go every 2 or three years and still stay in a one-bedroom or larger room.

Trebor
01-09-2007, 03:09 PM
you are set for 35 years for that price correct??

Didn't see this answered...

You do have yearly maintenance fees, but other than that, you are set. The points you have today (e.g. enough for 5 nights in a studio, value season) will get you the same thing in 35 years (5 nights in a studio, vaule season). To me, that was one of the major selling points of DVC.

Fatalbie
01-09-2007, 03:19 PM
I have taken your advice and been in contact with the TTS. Do not want to name names, but R_bert M. was extremely helpful !! My wife is going to be frusterated that I have now identified a strategy to overcome her objections,lol. Thanks again for the advice.
Jim

PinkTink63
01-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I have taken your advice and been in contact with the TTS. Do not want to name names, but R_bert M. was extremely helpful !! My wife is going to be frusterated that I have now identified a strategy to overcome her objections,lol. Thanks again for the advice.
Jim

She'll get over it when you guys are sitting by the pool at YOUR DVC!:rotfl:

Anal Annie
01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey Annie!

If you don't care where you stay - where you buy is no big deal. But from reading the boards here you may have trouble booking certain resorts at certain times- VWL at Xmas, BW or BVC during Oct (food and wine fest at Epcot) Hilton Head July and Aug - all seem to have very low if any availability at the 7 month mark for non home people.

If you have your heart staying at VWL every Christmas, buying SSR is not a great choice. If you're just happy to be at Disney and who cares where you're at- then your doing just fine;)

Thanks Flechette - good to know - we're not likely to try one of the other WDW resorts over the holidays or in Oct. 'cuz of school - MIGHT want to try HHI some summer tho 'cuz it's just a days drive for us...so hope that's not true! Will definitely check our options at exactly 7 mo. if we decide to try a diff. DVC resort. We're starting out this summer by trying to scrimp every point we can to bank into next yrs. pts. so we can do another cruise in '08. Hate to start out not staying at SSR but OKW saves some pts.! Will definitely plan to use SSR in '08 for pre-cruise nights tho! Beyond that, I think we'd enjoy the variety of alternating between going to other destinations every other yr. & using the DVC resorts or the cruiseline every other yr.

Caitsmama
01-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Didn't see this answered...

You do have yearly maintenance fees, but other than that, you are set. The points you have today (e.g. enough for 5 nights in a studio, value season) will get you the same thing in 35 years (5 nights in a studio, vaule season). To me, that was one of the major selling points of DVC.

Thanks.. that was going to be another question of mine..

So......... If it costs you say 10points to stay over Sun-Thurs in a studio value season NOW -- in say 15 years it will still cost the same number of pt.s for you to stay per night there???
Is that b/c you have already bought in ?

-- what i am trying to say is -- like next year or the year after, WDW could decide to charge you 15 pts per night to stay there, IF YOU ARE A NEW OWNER, but if you get in on the current points per night - it stays that way forever for you?? :confused3
Geez, did that even make any sense?:teacher: :sad2:

chalee94
01-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks.. that was going to be another question of mine..

So......... If it costs you say 10points to stay over Sun-Thurs in a studio value season NOW -- in say 15 years it will still cost the same number of pt.s for you to stay per night there???
Is that b/c you have already bought in ?

-- what i am trying to say is -- like next year or the year after, WDW could decide to charge you 15 pts per night to stay there, IF YOU ARE A NEW OWNER, but if you get in on the current points per night - it stays that way forever for you?? :confused3
Geez, did that even make any sense?:teacher: :sad2:

no.

each resort has a fixed number of points...which can be re-allocated if necessary to equalize demand. if too many people want the 10pt nights, disney could raise them to 12pts per night by taking 2pts per night from high season (dropping from 16pts to 14 or whatever.) this has only been done once IIRC...so it's not a major concern IMO.

doesn't matter when you buy though, if they were to change the point charts...

Anal Annie
01-09-2007, 06:57 PM
We're new members, but it was our understanding that the point requirements at the DVC resorts would never change, unlike with using the cruiseline or the other Disney collections - which ARE subject to change..... That was the beauty of it for us - that we could essentially have a Disney vacation for the same # of pts. in 2030 that we can do it for now....and knowing that it will be available for our son and his kids as an affordable vacation when HE'S 50! I guess you're saying they could change the "seasons" around a bit?!

chalee94
01-09-2007, 07:05 PM
We're new members, but it was our understanding that the point requirements at the DVC resorts would never change, unlike with using the cruiseline or the other Disney collections - which ARE subject to change..... That was the beauty of it for us - that we could essentially have a Disney vacation for the same # of pts. in 2030 that we can do it for now....and knowing that it will be available for our son and his kids as an affordable vacation when HE'S 50! I guess you're saying they could change the "seasons" around a bit?!

it's possible but it's only happened once in the history of DVC from what i understand. here's one link discussing the previous change:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=420226

(per webmasterdoc in 2003): In 1996, the OKW point chart was changed so that weekends were lowered and weekdays were raised for a couple of "seasons". This did affect our needs, so we added on to meet our needs.

Since that time, no changes have been made to any point charts, but DVC can do so without any comment/agreement from the members.

DVC actually has an obligation to the membership to encourage optimal utilization of the facilities and point reallocation is a prime means to accomplish that goal.

Could it happen again?? Yes. Is it likely to change anytime soon?? IMO, no. (If it were a real concern, the points could have been modified as each subsequent resort was added. The apparent changes in this regard for SSR are an example of such change, but even there, the change was cosmetic, IMO.)

Spacedude
01-09-2007, 07:08 PM
I said we were done with our original purchase of 250 points at OKW back in 1995. 700 points later...just got back from two weeks in a 2 BR at Saratoga Springs, rang in the New Year and had the time of our life...good luck...:wizard:

newcomer52
01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks,
Jim

Jim

I did this exact thing, and today I got a 50 point contract at VWL from TTS. I'm thrilled. Last week I decided that I would put my name in with them. Since I eventually want to own 3 small contact (one for each of my kids), I emailed TTS with my interest in contracts between 50-80 points at BCV, BWV, and VWL. I started getting emails from TSS with the latest listing and today I got a call that they had 50 point contracts at BWV and VWL. The BWV was gone by the time I got the message, but I grabbed the VWL. I think this is a perfect way for me to get started, even if it may not be the most efficient way. Now just to wait for ROFR and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Jerry

3DisneyKids
01-09-2007, 08:40 PM
While we bought in at the 150 point minimum through Disney, I think it is a great idea to start with a smaller contract and pay cash (we were able to pay cash for the 150 points, but that is why that is all we bought...I would like about 350 eventually, so we will work our way up to that).

Good luck.