PDA

View Full Version : Help! Where should I buy?

mbrowninc
01-06-2007, 09:35 AM
:confused3
Hi! I am brand new to everything and I am lost.

I recently decided to take a trip to WDW with my daughters 3, 2 & 1 later this year. My friend at work introduced me to DVC (he joined last year) and I believe this would be good for my family. My problem is what do I do resale or DVC?

I really do not know much about the resorts other than reading reviews for the past two weeks. I recently found out about the deadline for the DVC promo and I am a little worried if I go resale I will not make past ROFR.

I am also wanting to know about OKW. From my research it seems people want to stay at BC or BW not OKW or SS. Why is this? I have an opportunity to buy resale at OKW with a lot of banked points which makes it very appealing but since I have never stayed there I am nervous about this.

Is OKW good for small children? Is it clean? I read some of the room reviews and some of them were not good. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Yesterday I read that WL was a good place for small children being very convenient across from MK and easy to manuver with three strollers or a triple stroller. What do you think?

If I buy the OKW and decide I want to stay at WL 2 bedroom for convenience in September is it hard to book?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you have to offer!:)

Melanie

phorsenuf
01-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Gosh...there is so much to think about with DVC, isn't there.

This is my personal experience. We knew all about DVC and how it worked and really loved the concept. We did not have a favorite resort per se so to us it didn't really matter where we bought. We chose not to go resale because we wanted to use Disney financing. At one point we were all set to buy at SSR and at the last minute changed our mind.

So although we still talked about it we didn't act. Then the friends and family promotion came around last year (just like this one) and we decided to do it. We bought at SSR sight unseen. Why? Because for us we didn't care where we stayed as long as we could stay somewhere. We knew we could always get a room somewhere at some given time.

So far we've stayed in a 1 bedroom at the boardwalk in April. I booked that with a 2 weeks notice! We stayed just 1 night at SSR again short notcie. I have a 2 bedroom reserved at the Beach Club in February. That was about a 4 month notice.

Alot of people say buy where you want to stay. I'm in the camp of buy where you don't mind staying. If you are going to go with the same mindset as us then I think buying into SSR with a reduced price, longer terms and knowing there is no ROFR then I would go that route.
If you really have your mind set that you want X resort at X time of year and don't want to chance not getting it then maybe resale is the way to go.

Hope that was somewhat helpful. LOL

If you decide on SSR and want a referral, feel free to pm me. I have a great guide too if you don't have one.

Whatever you do decide, good luck. It's awesome owning DVC!

P.S. Sorry I can't help with OKW as we haven't stayed there....yet! From what I hear though alot of people love it. That's another nice thing with DVC so many choices based on the type of vacation you want. Some resorts are more laid back, perfect for relaxing while other are more active for the family on the go. Such awesome choices everywhere!

unixadm
01-06-2007, 10:19 AM
People like BCV and BWV because of their location...walking distance or a short boat ride to Epcot and MGM.

The Advantage to OKW is that the rooms are bigger since it was the first one purchased....the disadvange is higher dues since it is an older resort and over time requires more maintenance.

SSR and Old Key West are closer to Downtown Disney.....We just stayed at SSR last week...a boat ride or walking distance to Downtown Disney, Pleasure Island and the West Side.

The only resort that Disney is selling with the promotion is SSR. All other resorts are sold out and you can only get resales.

You can stay at any of the seven (soon to be eight with AKV) resorts you want with your points. The advantange of your home resort is that you can book 11 months in advance verses 7 months in advance for the other resorts.

The Advantage of SSR to others is that it expires in 2054 verses 2042 of the other resorts....basically you get 12 years more use from SSR. That was the big reason we purchased there (that and the discount promotion). I will be 88 when it expires (and 76 when the others expire), so I doubt I will get that much extra use, but I plan on giving points to my kids when we get older...they can take their kids and get use out of the extra 12 years.

It is always a debate here as to where to buy....some people say to buy where you want to stay....I do agree with that to some extent, but you have to weigh out the other things.

We bought in 2005....
We stayed at Beach Club in 5/05, Boardwalk in 09/05, Hilton Head in 10/05, Went on the DCL 7 night Eastern in 01/06, Boardwalk in 04/06 and finally went to Saratoga Springs for the first time last week (just 1 night).

We liked SSR so much that we are planning on going back for New Years at the end of this year.

You can see that even though I own at SSR, I've stayed at other resorts. Of course, for times like New Years, Christmas, Easter, etc, chances are I would only be able to get SSR since I can book 11 months in advance, although I could waitlist at the 7 month window for one of the others if I wished.

mbrowninc
01-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. I really do not care where we stay either and I will be buying anything sight unseen also. I have never stayed in the park.
One of the biggest things for me is cleanliness. Last summer we found out we only had six weeks until the birth of our third daughter (we have adopted three newborn girls within 2 1/2 years) so I frantically booked a beach condo online. I thought we all needed a break before our next arrival. We arrived and the carpets were so gross and my youngest at that time crawled on the tile floor and her hands, knees & feet were black. I was so upset.

So anyways thanks for that point because I really do not have any certain resort that I must stay at.

Melanie

unixadm
01-06-2007, 10:27 AM
I've had NO issues with cleanliness at DVC resorts...they've always been clean and well maintained.

SSR is the newest, so of course that shows...but last time we stayed in BWV, they had just done renovations and the room looked brand new. Even had that "new house" smell ;)

Buckmaster
01-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Just my opinion, but I would buy resale HH or VB. This will ensure the 11 month booking window at one of these outside Disney resorts, and I believe you can always find a place to stay in WDW at 7 months if you do not care what resort. Besides you can save some front $ with HH or VB resale.

Keep in mind that HH & VB will cost a little more each year in dues, but the savings between the resale values will pay for the yearly difference.

2007 estimates
dues per 50 points: $249.20 HH, $229.93 BW

LisaS
01-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Just my opinion, but I would buy resale HH or VB. This will ensure the 11 month booking window at one of these outside Disney resorts, and I believe you can always find a place to stay in WDW at 7 months if you do not care what resort. Besides you can save some front $ with HH or VB resale.

Keep in mind that HH & VB will cost a little more each year in dues, but the savings between the resale values will pay for the yearly difference.

2007 estimates dues per 50 points: $249.20 HH, $229.93 BWIf the OP is mainly interested in staying at WDW, then I think it's better to buy into one of the WDW resorts. That way you can book your home resort at 11 months out and if you are not able to switch resorts at the 7-month window, at least you have accommodations at WDW. Also, over the life of the contract, the dues are by far the biggest expense. Buying into VB would save money up front but will cost more in the long run due to the higher dues.

Slakk
01-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I actually do NOT prefer BWV or BCV (I do own at BCV as well as VWL and SSR). So far SSR is my favorite resort, we are trying VWL in 2 weeks for the first time.

Being by Epcot can be nice for going to Epcot but I do not like the buses at either and we enjoy MK and AK and spend a lot of time there. BW view to me is overrated - we tried it and got loooong hallways and screaming drunks - we bought a small BCV simply so we can get to use the pool.

Honestly none of the resorts are bad - all of them are really nice but I will probably stay mostly at SSR and the new VAK when it opens. Some people will only stay at *their* resort and anything else is like the All Stars.

For some of us we are happy pretty much anywhere. SSR is a fabulous resort and I love the SPA and the proximity to DTD so for us it works.

I have had no trouble booking at 7 months at any resort but should I ever find myself not able to book at my favorite resort I am happy at any of them. Also if you buy at BCV or VWL remember they do NOT have GV so if you even have a vague notion of staying at one you should buy points at one of the other resorts as it is more difficult to book at GV at 7 month than any other type of room.

Boston5602
01-06-2007, 06:08 PM
The only resort that Disney is selling with the promotion is SSR. All other resorts are sold out and you can only get resales.

this is not exactly true. if you get the right guide or are persistent about buying one of the other resorts , you can but you get no discounts and I think the price is $95.00

Good Luck

unixadm
01-08-2007, 05:55 PM
this is not exactly true. if you get the right guide or are persistent about buying one of the other resorts , you can but you get no discounts and I think the price is $95.00

Good Luck

True, but techinically, they are resales.....Disney exercised their ROFR, bought the points back, and then resell them at higher prices.

vfinder1
01-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Also consider SSR just for the 12 extra years you get. With SSR you will get 47 years of using the resorts to only 35 with the other resorts.

dianeschlicht
01-09-2007, 06:52 AM
There is a little bit of eroneous info in some of the posts above. First of all, OKW has not traditionally had the highest dues. The lowest dues right now is at SSR, because it is newer and larger and is still being subsidized by Disney because it is not sold out yet.

Not everyone prefers to stay at BWV and BCV. I'm one of those! We purchased at OKW for a reason....it's where we like to stay best. We don't care for the hotel feel of the other DVC resorts, so we go with the vacation home feel of OKW. SSR is kind of between OKW and the others as far as the feel of the place. It has open halls and parking lots outside each building, but it also has long hallways. The beauty of DVC is that you can reserve at ANY of the DVC resorts....not just your own, as long as there is availability, and as long as you reserve your non-home resort after the 7 month booking window.

Do some research on this site about the different locations and also the dues and point charts etc. You will get a feel for what you think you will be comfortable with. There are also plenty of sites on the web that have photos of the different size units at DVC resorts, so you can actually take a photo tour as well.

DisDaydreamer
01-09-2007, 07:10 AM
If the OP is mainly interested in staying at WDW, then I think it's better to buy into one of the WDW resorts. That way you can book your home resort at 11 months out and if you are not able to switch resorts at the 7-month window, at least you have accommodations at WDW. Also, over the life of the contract, the dues are by far the biggest expense. Buying into VB would save money up front but will cost more in the long run due to the higher dues.

I think I have to agree with Lisa on this point. We own at BWV. We have had probably 14 stays total (DVC) with 8 of those at Vero Beach. We have never had a problem getting ressies at VB, but I think a WDW resort at 7 months is much more difficult. If VB wasn't sold out I would probably feel guilty that we go there so much, but don't pay the high dues.

TenThousandVolts
01-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Also consider SSR just for the 12 extra years you get. With SSR you will get 47 years of using the resorts to only 35 with the other resorts.

It is even a little better than this- if you buy soon with a Sept., Oct., Nov, or Dec. use year- they give you your 2006 points (with no MFs) so you actually are getting 48 years!

usewickhouse
01-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Curious about the new DVC's at AKL and CR...does anyone have any info on when they will be avail to purchase, how much and what year they will expire? We are thinking of purchasing new or a re-sale and just looking for information. Thanks Becky

LisaS
01-09-2007, 10:42 AM
It is even a little better than this- if you buy soon with a Sept., Oct., Nov, or Dec. use year- they give you your 2006 points (with no MFs) so you actually are getting 48 years!The same applies if you purchase a sold out resort directly from Disney. They start you out with the current Use Year's points. For example, if you purchased a Sep UY contract at BWV from Disney, you get the '06 points and they pro-rate the dues from the day you get your points (usually 24 hours after you pay your deposit). So if you purchased that contract on, say, March 1, 2007, you would get all of the '06 points and would be charged 10/12ths of the '07 dues. If you purchased a Sep UY contract on Sep 1st, they would start you off with Sep '07 UY points and charge you 4/12ths of the '07 dues.

LisaS
01-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Curious about the new DVC's at AKL and CR...does anyone have any info on when they will be avail to purchase, how much and what year they will expire? We are thinking of purchasing new or a re-sale and just looking for information. Thanks BeckyWe're all still waiting for the official word on when Disney will begin selling AKV, as well as the price info. People have reported hearing that sales will begin in the spring and that AKV contracts will expire in 2057. Disney has not announced anything at all about CRV.

TiggerMan2007
01-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I would imagine they would expire the same as SSR in 2054. Since the other 6 DVC properties all expire in 2042. You wouldn't think they would keep making new expiration dates for each one unless that is how they will justify higher prices per point.

We won't know for sure until they actual release more info.

mbrowninc
01-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Ok So Let Me Try To Understand This If I Buy Today From Disney At Ss Can I Pick My Use Year? I Would Like A September Use Year. So Would I Get 2006 Points And Then 2007 Points On Sept. 1st?

TiggerMan2007
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Ok So Let Me Try To Understand This If I Buy Today From Disney At Ss Can I Pick My Use Year? I Would Like A September Use Year. So Would I Get 2006 Points And Then 2007 Points On Sept. 1st?

We just bought last week............the only choice on Use Year we were given was Dec. 2006 or Feb 2007 direct through DVC at Disney.

If you choose Dec. 06 you would start off with say 150 pts. from Dec. 06 and get 150 more points in Dec. 07.

And currently with referral you can buy direct from DVC at $86.00 a point with referral discount with about $125.00 in filing fees and start booking your trips as soon as you give a deposit and get into the system. About 2-3 days.

If you want Sept. UY, you can go thru Time Share Store and select a Sept. UY. and pay anywhere from about $80-$97 a pt. depending on which DVC resort you choose. But you will have to pay about $500 in closing costs and wait 4 weeks for Disney to see if they exercise ROFR. Then you might have to wait about 8 weeks total from when you make deposit to start making ressies. Takes time to get through ROFR and filing paperwork and getting into DVC computer system.

Resale way is a Good option if you want to get your exact UY of Sept, and your not pressed for time about booking fast for this year at certain places. You can save some money as well if you find a good deal per point. Don't forget to check the Maintanence fees cost when deciding.

mbrowninc
01-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I Think I Am Going To Join Today Or Tomorrow. What Would The Benefits Be Of Choosing Dec. 2006 Or Feb 2007 Use Years?:)

LisaS
01-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Ok So Let Me Try To Understand This If I Buy Today From Disney At Ss Can I Pick My Use Year? I Would Like A September Use Year. So Would I Get 2006 Points And Then 2007 Points On Sept. 1st?They may not have every UY available at any given time. I think they are actively selling Dec and Feb but if you press your guide, he/she can probably get you a different UY if that fits your travel patterns better. If they have Sep UY points available to sell to you, you will get Sep '06 points with your purchase and yes, your 2007 points will be available for use as well (for trips from Sep 1, '07 - Aug 31, '08 or for borrowing for trips prior to those dates). I'm not as familiar with SSR so it's possible that the F&F incentive price is only available with certain UYs.

beattyfamily
01-11-2007, 07:53 AM
We bought pretty much sight unseen but did visit the outside of the Boardwalk and saw the construction of the BCV from across the water.

We would have loved WLV but I believe they were more expensive.

We ended up with Boardwalk and have been very happy with our purchase.

I would either buy at the DIS's sponsored timeshare website or at A Timeshare Broker at http://********************/disney/buy-disney.html They are who we bought our first contract from in 2001 and Jaki was amazing. Its cheaper buying through resale and I think there are more options.

Good luck!

Lynne M
01-11-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm going to take a different direction here and say, there's absolutely no need to rush into buying. DVC always has some sort of promo going, and if you miss this one, the next one will be along shortly. And resales will always be there.

If you haven't stayed on site before, and aren't familiar with any of the DVC resorts, why not wait until your trip later this year, and do a tour then?