PDA

View Full Version : I should have asked this earlier...

korbbec
01-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Do the points required for certain stays ever change, or will they always be the same? For example in 2007 it will cost 8 points to rent a studio at OKW. Will it still be 8 points in 2038? I should have asked this sooner, but I just thought of it. I assumed the rising MF's made up for inflation and points would stay the same, but everyone knows what happens when we assume...:teacher:

Juliet25
01-04-2007, 03:13 PM
As I understand it, the points across the board can't change, though the points for individual nights might. In other words, 150 points today will be worth 150 points in 2020. If the studio in your example is raised to 10 points, those 2 points must be subtracted elsewhere.

Hope that made sense!

korbbec
01-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes it does, thank you. I was hoping I assumed correctly.

mydogdrew
01-04-2007, 04:40 PM
In summary you have inflation protection on room itself over the life of DVC but not the operating expenses. Expect MF's to increase each year. Once you trade out of the DVC resorts there is no such protection. Points required to secure non-dvc rooms do routinely increase.

dianeschlicht
01-04-2007, 04:50 PM
In summary you have inflation protection on room itself over the life of DVC but not the operating expenses. Expect MF's to increase each year. Once you trade out of the DVC resorts there is no such protection. Points required to secure non-dvc rooms do routinely increase.

That statement is not quite true. Your points required to trade out to II should remain the same, since they are based on DVC points required for a week's stay. The only thing that will change are the special collections like Concierge, Disney, and Adventurers. Those are not timeshare trades, so must be negotiated annually or semi annually.

Dean
01-04-2007, 09:10 PM
That statement is not quite true. Your points required to trade out to II should remain the same, since they are based on DVC points required for a week's stay. The only thing that will change are the special collections like Concierge, Disney, and Adventurers. Those are not timeshare trades, so must be negotiated annually or semi annually.Diane, the points for trade are determined solely by DVD and it's contract with II. They could go up or down. It's likely there will be some consistency over the years but they could certainly change significantly over the years. While I am sure they are loosely based on the points structure, it's only very loosely at present.

mydogdrew
01-05-2007, 08:36 AM
That statement is not quite true. Your points required to trade out to II should remain the same, since they are based on DVC points required for a week's stay. The only thing that will change are the special collections like Concierge, Disney, and Adventurers. Those are not timeshare trades, so must be negotiated annually or semi annually.

I disagree. While they may not have changed recently, there is no guarantee they won't. Owning DVC does not insulate you from inflation risk here.

dianeschlicht
01-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Diane, the points for trade are determined solely by DVD and it's contract with II. They could go up or down. It's likely there will be some consistency over the years but they could certainly change significantly over the years. While I am sure they are loosely based on the points structure, it's only very loosely at present.
I will agree that which resort and which unit size will determine your trade cost, but how could it ever be more than a comparable week at a DVC resort?

Dean
01-05-2007, 08:33 PM
I will agree that which resort and which unit size will determine your trade cost, but how could it ever be more than a comparable week at a DVC resort?Partly because they have removed a direct link from a DVC accommodation to the number of points required. I think it's unlikely they would go more or any above Magic season at BWV preferred for example but you never know. And I shutter to think what a 3 BR could be if they so chose. If one looks back in history at how things have been with II since inception, there were times when you had to trade your home resort which created a variable from one member to another.

Then if you look at the value of what you're giving up compared to what you're getting, in most cases you're on the losing end of the equation anyway and that's about 3-5 times worse for flexchange deposits within 60 days of travel.