PDA

View Full Version : Small DVC Contract? Help needed...

ChesapeakeTechie
01-02-2007, 08:38 PM
My wife and I both enjoy WDW very much, and have been looking into timeshares for a while. We now have a 15 month old and twins on the way. We'll be taking a quick trip to WDW at the end of March for two nights (one day at MK) and will also take a look at the DVC resorts while there. Planning on staying at PopCentury for 2 nights, unless I can rent points.
I am seriously considering a small resale contract (~50 points) to get started in DVC. We would probably head down to WDW every 2 or 3 years and could stay mid-week. Does this make sense?
Any insight from owners and those more knowledgable would be appreciated! I know I could also potentially rent out excess points and trade with II, our first full family trip would probably be in 2009.

Thanks!
CT & Family!

jekjones1558
01-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the DIS boards.
If you can go midweek for 5 days or less every 2 or 3 years, 50 points will get you started. It might also mean that you would need to go during low point seasons. Because you have twins on the way, you will be needing a 2 bedroom unit in just a few years, so hopefully you will be eventually be able to buy a few more points for the larger room. Sounds like you have the concept well in hand. Have a fun trip. And good luck in your search for a resale contract! You may want to call The Timeshare Store to have them on the lookout for your 50 point contract. The small ones go very quickly-- sometimes even before they get posted on this site!

Deb & Bill
01-02-2007, 11:28 PM
...I know I could also potentially rent out excess points and trade with II, our first full family trip would probably be in 2009....

50 points aren't going to go that far. With a crackdown on rentals, I wouldn't purchase DVC with a plan to rent out points on a regular basis.

Disney has been buying back lots of smaller contracts being sold to first time purchasers. Make sure you get in touch with a good reseller to give you points on how to make sure you complete the sale.

The minimum stay for II takes 124 points if I am reading the book right.

You can only have three years worth of points to use, bank a year, use a year and borrow a year for 150 points with a 50 point contract.

ChesapeakeTechie
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the insight - our plan would probably be to go to WDW every 2 to 3 years. With this in mind, is it still the thought that 50 points would be too low?
Also, where can I find the points cost for DCL and some of the non-WDW DVC resorts?

Thanks!

korbbec
01-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Her is a link to the link for the point charts.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1310747

Post # 2

I am buying a 50 point contract too. I think it will be plenty- 6 nights in a one bedroom or even more in a studio every two or three years sounds about right to me.

ChesapeakeTechie
01-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the link - I will take a look. Where are you buying your points at?

korbbec
01-03-2007, 01:35 PM
TSS- waiting for ROFR right now- it is painful.

dis-happy
01-06-2007, 09:19 AM
MS allows 5 in a 1 b/r, so I wouldn't worry about a 2 b/r at this point (plus you can legally stay in a studio until they turn 3, but crowded!).

Look into getting resale points at BWV. I purchased a 60 point contract there as an add-on in order to book at 11 months and loved the resort so much we did a much larger (150 pts) add-on through Disney. What's great is you can book rooms at the standard point level. Same rooms as the rest of the hotel but the view isn't as great. However, during our two stays there the view was just fine, overlooking the green area in the front of the hotel, and a fireworks view at night. The convenience of walking to Epcot and MGM is a big plus too. At night there is always entertaining stuff going on at the Boardwalk and in the hotel lobby itself. You don't have to go far to have fun with the kids.

If you travel the first two weeks in Dec. you can see the Christmas decorations, stay in a 1 b/r unit (heaven with the full kitchen and w/d, large bathroom with walk-in shower and full sized jacuzzi tub) and only spend 80 points for the Sun-Fri stay (5 nights). You really can't beat it!

donaldbuzz&minnie
01-06-2007, 01:36 PM
I would just add that you probably want to be sure about the home resort you'd want before you buy any points, and also have an idea about the use year you would prefer. If you're undecided, at least about the home resort issue, the cost of 2 days in a value this year isn't going to seem like much in comparison to the frustration you might feel in juggling points for 30+ years for a resort where you don't really want to stay.

Deb & Bill
01-06-2007, 03:46 PM
MS allows 5 in a 1 b/r, so I wouldn't worry about a 2 b/r at this point (plus you can legally stay in a studio until they turn 3, but crowded!). ...

That's true for now. All the literature says four in a one bedroom, so in reality, they could eliminate the 5 in a one bedroom allowance at any time. I wouldn't buy points for a one bedroom if I had five or more in my family.