PDA

View Full Version : California Grill & Jiko

DreaminDisney
12-31-2006, 10:12 AM
For those of you who have been to both which one did you like better?

tampaguys
12-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Jiko by a LONG shot. The menu at California Grill is tired, and their waitstaff tends to be snotty.

BCV23
12-31-2006, 10:38 AM
We like California Grill better although Jiko is excellent too. But CG has a wider variety on their menu which works well for our family of six. And the view is of course fantastic.

jwfla422
12-31-2006, 12:11 PM
We love JIKO. It's been a while since we've eaten at CG and we probably won't eat there again unless they change their cancellation policy. I can't worry about cancelling 2 days in advance, sometimes we have to cancel a few hrs in advance and CG won't allow that, so we don't bother anymore. Not to mention still having to wait a while even with an ADR.

Simba's Mom
12-31-2006, 01:26 PM
I've been to both, and I'd definitely pick Jiko's. My server at CG was one of the nicest I've had, but I'd still give the edge to Jiko's for atmosphere, much nicer and quieter.

JennyMominRI
12-31-2006, 02:16 PM
I prefer the Ca Grill. We love the wine room. We like Jiko too.

MYDISNEYHOUSES
12-31-2006, 02:53 PM
That is a tough one. These are 2 of my favorite restaurants.

I do not think you can go wrong with either.:thumbsup2

CPer'sMom
12-31-2006, 04:21 PM
That is a tough one. These are 2 of my favorite restaurants.

I do not think you can go wrong with either.:thumbsup2

Totally agree with this ~ They are both great! :)

Amyrlin
12-31-2006, 04:27 PM
They are both great, for the menu and view I like CG best, but the ambience at Jiko is better.

hmp2z
12-31-2006, 05:29 PM
We prefer the quality of the food & the variety of food at California Grill. Jiko is fine, but underwhelming - for what we get, we prefer Boma.

I was also underwhelmed by the level of knowledge & attentiveness of the chef staff at Jiko. We attended a special event there in November, and I notified them in advance that I didn't eat meat. They assured me this would not present a problem, then proceeded to serve two dishes with meat: one with chunks of bacon in it, and a carrot soup made with chicken stock. I couldn't believe, for the price we were paying, and the way Jiko touts itself as upscale dining, that they were this sloppy with my dietary needs. If I'm paying $150 pp for dinner, and I've been assured that I won't be served meat, then I would expect that to be the case.

That aside, though, we've just overall gotten better quality of food at California Grill. Their sushi there is out of this world.

Cheers!
Heather W

CoolDisneyCat
01-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Jiko .. without a doubt..

We have only been to CG once, but it was such a zoo with people fighting for and camping out window side tables, it ruin the meal for us. We may go back sometime with our ADR no where near the time for Wishes.

Ron from Michigan
01-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Wow. You have asked about our two favorite places to dine at WDW. We ate at CG twice in October and it was fantastic from start to finish. The service and food were excellent. I had the Pork Tenderloin with creamy polenta, it was so tender you could cut it with your fork. We always start with a flatbread also, on this visit we had the flatbread with figs and it was so good........

We dined at Jiko in October and December and it was excellent just like always both times. I had the Lamb Shank on this last trip and it was my favorite meal of the trip. It was so tender and flavorable. We also had the barbacue chicken flatbread on this most recent trip and it was as good as always. The service and food are always tops here.

OKWMom
01-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Jiko by a LONG shot. The menu at California Grill is tired, and their waitstaff tends to be snotty.

I guess it depends on what server you get or what night you go. We dined at Jiko three weeks ago and that server was the snottiest I have ever had in any restaurant. He acted like it was beneath him to be waiting on us. It was our first time dining there and when I asked about a menu item and told him I couldn't pronounce the name, he said "Of course you can't" and rolled his eyes at me. We had been very nice to him and were dressed within the dress code (actually nicer than some of the other diners). I couldn't imagine why he treated us so poorly. His attitude ruined our experience there and we won't be back.

Fly me with Balloons
01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
They are my 2 favorites. I love the sushi & fillet at CG, but the best dish I have ever eaten is the Fillet w/ macaroni at Jiko. Great wines, as well.

I'd go Jiko by a nose/photo finish.

tx2tn
01-01-2007, 01:42 PM
WITH OUT A DOUBT......California Grill. They have a better menu and what better place to enjoy a meal than CG as you watch the sunset over the MK or maybe watch the fireworks. Yes, CG by a mile :thumbsup2

Judique
01-01-2007, 01:46 PM
For those of you who have been to both which one did you like better?

I liked both for different aspects and different menu choices. We've eaten at Jiko 4 times (in the last year) and on each occasion had excellent food and service. We've eaten at CG 3 times (in the last year) and most of the food was excellent and the service was good. The CG has the advantage of an incredible view and the chance to see fireworks after dinner, so you have to throw that into the mix. If you want an intimate experience and to focus on your dining and dinner partners, I'd go with Jiko. If you want a good meal with a great view and a lot of excitement going on (as in hustle bustle and noise) as well as to watch the fireworks, choose CG.