PDA

View Full Version : Booking Name of Reservations

minniemomof3
12-30-2006, 10:38 PM
I was on the Rent/Trade point and noticed a post for points for rent from a UK member. The renter mentioned that she wanted to rent the points prior to January 1st or she may not be able to change the booking name after the 1st.

What does this mean? Is MS not allowing reservations in other peoples names after Jan 1st?

WebmasterDoc
12-30-2006, 11:16 PM
There has been a report that MS is requiring names and address for all guests when reservations are made - beginning January 1.

I think the poster you mention is taking a pessimistic position that she will not be allowed to change the name on her current reservation any longer. There is no suggestion (or confirmation) that changes will not be allowed.

minniemomof3
12-31-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks. I must of misunderstood the post.

Sue in the UK
12-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Hi, I think that it was my posting that you are referring to.

When we made the reservation on Dec 29th we were very specifically told by MS that as of January 1st they were not allowing the names on reservations to be changed. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether it was just new bookings from Jan 1st or all bookings that this rule applies to. Or maybe the person on the phone got it wrong (me or her)?? There was no suggestion that we would not be able to book in other people's names, just that we wouldn't be able to alter the booking names after the reservation was made.

I think that I will alter my original posting and wait and see what happens when we try to change the names, we will probably end up cancelling and rebooking in any case.

We are trying to rent out 150points that we can't use, by Jan 31. We are in this position because we had planned to give the points to our daughter so that she and boyfriend could go to DLP for a break. However we were misadvised by MS when we spoke to them before Christmas and did not realise that the points could not be booked at DLP in the last 60days of use year. So we ended up giving them an unusable gift and having to scrabble around trying to use up the points. I spent most of yesterday in a telephone queue to MS all to no avail!

Sorry for the rant, I know it's my own fault for not knowing all of the rules, but we've only ever used the points to stay at resorts before so never really thought about it!
Sue

jekjones1558
12-31-2006, 07:27 AM
Please, oh please, let this "no change" policy go away! Twice last year DH had health issues and could not go at the last minute and we gave his plane ticket and room to a friend. And we still have no idea who will stay in which rooms for our big family trip in November. If this rule is intended to keep folks from booking rooms for future rental, it is also going to hurt some of us who never rent.

Dean
12-31-2006, 07:42 AM
I think it would be interesting, and a little funny, if DVC did institute the policy that any change of registration was a cancellation and rebooking. That would almost completely stop an spec renting by reserving first.

Doctor P
12-31-2006, 08:07 AM
If implemented correctly and fairly, this will probably not impact most members. I suspect that they will allow adding names and dropping names on a member's reservation for themselves (or on rooms that are "linked" to such a reservation). But, we'll see. This would certainly reduce/eliminate spec renting, and, from many perspectives, also put some additional fairness into the process for people on waiting lists.

Dean
12-31-2006, 08:34 AM
If implemented correctly and fairly, this will probably not impact most members. I suspect that they will allow adding names and dropping names on a member's reservation for themselves (or on rooms that are "linked" to such a reservation). But, we'll see. This would certainly reduce/eliminate spec renting, and, from many perspectives, also put some additional fairness into the process for people on waiting lists.Maybe but I see it as an all or none issue. If you're implying they be selective based on who or the intention, I don't see that happening. I'm sure it'll be all or none as a policy either you can or you can't. If they allow the exceptions you say, it will have no effect on anyone as you can always add a persons name to your own for rental purposes and they can check in on their own.

Doctor P
12-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Maybe but I see it as an all or none issue. If you're implying they be selective based on who or the intention, I don't see that happening. I'm sure it'll be all or none as a policy either you can or you can't. If they allow the exceptions you say, it will have no effect on anyone as you can always add a persons name to your own for rental purposes and they can check in on their own.

I had thought of that exact thing, Dean, but I think it's very simple--if the member's name is on the room, they are the only one's who can do the initial check in. I agree with your assessment, but I think it would be relatively easy to handle. As you say, we'll have to see. Frankly, I think you might be right, but I would like to hope otherwise for the sake of honest members who have changes in plans.

dvcmember
12-31-2006, 09:18 PM
I am hopeful that this is another example of an uninformed cast member. I wonder when this policy will be revealed to the members if it is true. I use most of my points and rent only tofriends or coworkers on rare occasions but the lack of flexibility is getting disturbing. Barb

Mary Anne
12-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Interesting, when we checked into the BWV last Saturday the CM made a big thing about having to have the full names of who was in the room, I know I told them when I made the reservation (11 months ago). Said from now on they would HAVE to be on the resevation, I didn't pay much attention to him then but I bet it has something to do with this.

BeccaG
12-31-2006, 11:24 PM
subscribing to follow this thread. I will soon be booking several rooms for a trip I am taking my family and friends on, and if I can't change anything (i.e. if my BIL gets married before the trip!!) it could be problematic. . . And obviously I myself will only be staying in one room. . .

OKWMom
01-01-2007, 09:59 AM
subscribing to follow this thread. I will soon be booking several rooms for a trip I am taking my family and friends on, and if I can't change anything (i.e. if my BIL gets married before the trip!!) it could be problematic. . . And obviously I myself will only be staying in one room. . .

I am booking our post-Thanksgiving trip now and told the CM I was unsure about our party size because we were trying to get my parents and my mother-in-law to join us but they probably wouldn't commit for several months. He just put my "core" family down (myself, DH and our children) and said we could add the rest later. I have been booking day-by-day and each CM has noticed the small party size for the room and asked about it. After repeating the parent/inlaw issue, each CM has said it wouldn't be a problem to add them when we are sure.

This may be a case like Dean and Doctor P are discussing. Perhaps because I am on the reservation, and I am the member, I can make changes just like before. It may be different if I were trying to reserve the room for someone else.