PDA

View Full Version : I'm planning a NEW trip to WDW. I'm going to eat in all new places for me...

BillSears
12-30-2006, 11:16 AM
That's right I'm passing on Le Cellieur, Boma, Spoodles, Raglan Road and many of my other favorites and I'm going to only eat at places I've never eaten before or haven't eaten at in 20 years or so.

So what are your unusual gems? Places that people tend to forget about?

Here's a quick list off of the top of my head of where I've eaten before:

Le Cellieur, Boma, Spoodles, Raglan Road, Chefs de France, Rose and Crown, Akershus, San Angel Inn, Teppanyaki, Yakatori House, Tusker House, Flame Tree Barbeque, Rainforest Cafe, Casey's Corner, Columbia Harbor House, Crystal Palace, Cosmic Ray's, Chef Mickey's Concourse Steakhouse, O'Hana, Kona Cafe, House of Blues, Wolfgang Pucks Cafe, 50's Prime Time, Sci-Fi Diner, Mama Melroses, Brown Derby, ABC Comissary, Back Lot Express, Hollywood and Vine, Rosies, Boatwrights, Cape May, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Artist Point, Spirit of Aloha, Hoop de Doo and I'm sure a few I missed.

This trip will me in May and a solo trip for me. I'll have a DDE card and while prices does matter abit it's really not that important. For instance I'm interested in the California Grill but I'll probably pass on Victoria and Alberts. One thing that is also a priority is dress code, the dressiest I'll probably go is nice jeans and a polo shirt(that was good enough for Artist Point).

cleo
12-30-2006, 11:22 AM
For onsite dining, Portobello Yacht Club. They have a portobello mushroom appetizer, with mushroom slices so thin you could read a newspaper through them, resting gently atop the creamiest polenta I've ever tasted, drizzled lovingly with a rich mushroom jus. Pair it with a crisp glass of their home made Sangria and you've got a meal the angels would die for. :cloud9:

denecarter
12-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Cool idea... wish DD would go for that plan.

Based on what I've heard, I'd like to try Jiko and California Grill.

DD really liked Marrakesh (okay for me, she loved it though).

hockeybabe
12-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Try Biergarten. If you haven't seen the Oompah band, sat in the German courtyard with the moon shining down on you, toasting with a "Ticky-tacky, ticky-tacky, oy, oy, oy!", you've been missing out on a real gem! :goodvibes

OKW Lover
12-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I didn't see Flying Fish or Yachtsman Steakhouse on your list of places you've already tried. These are both very good meals - well worth the experience.

CoolDisneyCat
12-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I highly reccomend Flying Fish, Jiko and Yachtsman too, and would like to add a few more.

I would suggest Grand Floridian Cafe, Beaches and Cream, Earl of Sandwich and Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch. Have you tried Boma or Spoodles for breakfast.. or does that go against you new places plan?

BillSears
12-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. Right now it's a 5 night trip but I think I'll be eating TS meals both for lunch and dinner just to get all of these places in. :goodvibes

Have you tried Boma or Spoodles for breakfast.. or does that go against you new places plan?

Well...I'm not really sure. I was trying to convince myself that going to Le Cellieur for lunch counted as a "new experience" but I was thinking I'd be stretching it to try that. I have heard really good things about Spoodles and Boma for breakfast. Normally I tend to eat my first meal at lunch time but a late breakfast at these two places might work. I will be depending on WDW transportation though so Boma might be abit tougher to get to. I can always walk to Spoodles from EPCOT.

teacher31
12-30-2006, 04:05 PM
We found The Grand Floridian Cafe to be a gem. The lunch we had was incredible, the atmosphere was beautiful and not one bit stuffy. We'll be going back this summer, although I love the idea of trying completely new restaurants!

Tikitoi
12-30-2006, 05:48 PM
We just got back 3 days ago and while we did Boma, Chef Mickey's and WCC for the 2nd time because we had friends with us who had never been to Disney before, I will not be going to any of those places the next time we go. Dont get me wrong food and service was great at ALL just want to try something different. And at the same time our friends want to go back with us as well they want to do Crystal Palace and Cape May again, but again nothing against food and service, both were great just want to go to new places. So some places I'm considering for us are: Beaches & Cream, Fultons Crab House, Rose & Crown, Biergarten, Spoodles and or GF Cafe' , got some planning to do before September! :goodvibes

susieq76
12-30-2006, 05:53 PM
I didn't see Citricos on that list? If you go there have the Beef Carpaccio. Its soooooo good :thumbsup2

The Sweetness
12-30-2006, 06:13 PM
How about The Plaza, for a nice sandwich or salad, and the Garden Grille, if you don't mind characters:thumbsup2

UrsulasShadow
12-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Jiko is my absolute favorite...try the filet mignon!

Tinkerbellmom33
12-30-2006, 07:08 PM
We try a new restaurant every trip.
Flying Fish and Narcoosee's, yum!! We loved them both.

winniethepoohsmom
12-30-2006, 08:45 PM
We enjoyed Alfredo's twice, I've heard the Yachtsman Steakhouse is very good and we also like beaches and cream but that's a more casual burger and sundae kind of place but they have an excellent hot open roast beef and provalone sandwich and the best ice cream. Linda

Nanabug02
12-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Definitely try California Grill, Flying Fish or Citricos as nice TS restaurants. Also, stop by Earl of Sandwich if you are in DTD....yummy!!!

DreaminDisney
12-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Jiko. I have read great reviews on that place! I can't wait to try it myself!!

Ron from Michigan
12-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Since you already mention California Grill why not try our other favorite Jiko. We just ate at both earlier this month and they were fantastic as always. The Lamb Shank at Jiko was my favorite entree of our trip.

Jrabbit910
12-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Hi Bill;
I think its great that you expreinced so many restaurants. Imo: I really do think that you should eat at The California Grill (your dress code is fine). I know its a solo trip but go there at night so you can enjoy the fireworks at MK, its great. As for cs meals check out the Sommerfest at Germany ( i dont think i saw that on your list). A great sandwich/pretzle and beer, you cant go wrong.
Also, if you havent checked out the blue zoo at the Dolophin; its worth a gander. Its mostly seafood but very good. We went there for some drinks and apps and it was worth it.

Good Luck & hope you have a great time.

nicoleakr
12-31-2006, 09:20 AM
I would suggest the Grand Flordian Cafe. I order a steak from there and they forgot to bring me a steak knife ...... I could cut my steak with a butter knife. It truly was the BEST steak I have ever eaten.:cool1: :tink:

luvfigment
12-31-2006, 02:37 PM
I really enjoyed Grand Floridian Cafe my last trip so that is my new suggestion to everyone. The food was great and the service was the best we had all trip.

Of course I read yesterday that 1900 Park Fare is closed 7/1-10/01 and will be in a sense relocated to GF Cafe during that time including the character meals so it will all depend on when your trip is. Citricos will be opened for lunch though with a menu similar to what GF Cafe's lunch is like.

BillSears
01-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all of the advice! So far I've decided on:

Dinner
Jikos
Portobello Yacht Club
The Biergarten
Flying Fish
California Grill
Lunch
Beaches and Creams
Earl of Sandwich
The Plaza Restaurant
The Grand Floridian Cafe

These are possibilities too:
Liberty Tree Tavern
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Marrakesh
Citricos
Sommerfest
Blue Zoo
Kimono's, I love sushi and have heard this is the best sushi at WDW.

My biggest problem is going to be squeezing all of these in in 5 dinners and 5 lunches. Also the park touring logistics might be rough with some of these choces. I guess I'll have to do what I can and add the rest to my September trip. :)

AshleyMWC
01-01-2007, 04:36 PM
It looks liek you have already made a lot of decisions, but that won't stop me from throwing in my 2 cents :)

My DBF and I both really liked Big RIver Grill and the Grand Floridian Cafe. Big RIver doesn't always get great reviews, but we really did like it a lot. DBF still talks about the great meatloaf he had there...and he loves meatloaf

Happy eating, let us know how everything is!

BillSears
01-01-2007, 06:37 PM
It looks liek you have already made a lot of decisions, but that won't stop me from throwing in my 2 cents :)

My DBF and I both really liked Big RIver Grill and the Grand Floridian Cafe. Big RIver doesn't always get great reviews, but we really did like it a lot. DBF still talks about the great meatloaf he had there...and he loves meatloaf

Happy eating, let us know how everything is!

Thanks! These places aren't set in stone. I can easily be swayed to try out somewhere else. So please keep the suggestions coming!

spaceacewannabe
01-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Try the vegetable streudel at Coral Reef. Fantastic! While other items there seem to be hit or miss, most reviews I've read have been pretty favorable (and the most negative one didn't seem to know what the lentils were).

diathoney
01-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Breakfast at Spoodles. Edamame and sushi at the Matsunoma lounge (Japan) while watching the fireworks. The Plaza at MK is a great lunch. I like a table where I can watch the crowds - great sandwiches, fries and Ice Tea.

JD3419
01-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Can't go wrong with California Grill, Beaches and Cream or Earl of Sandwich. All of your choices look good. Matter of fact, this is making me hungry.

BillSears
01-04-2007, 08:22 PM
I made my Pop Century reservations today for 5/17-5/22. Now it time for me to figure out what days to eat where. I've got some tough planning ahead.

Anyway the real reason I bumped this back up was to ask about Bistro de Paris. I didn't like Chefs de France but I was thinking about Bistro de Paris. I was surprised no one recommended it. So what do you guys think?

ETA...

I'm laughing at myself right now. Here I go and book a value resort to have a cheaper mini vacation and I'm planning to eat at California Grill, Jiko, Portobello Yacht Club and now Bistro de Paris. I really think I might end up spending more on food this trip then I will on the hotel room. And it's a solo trip!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Harambe
01-05-2007, 08:06 AM
The great thing about both Flying Fish and Jiko is that they have a "bar" type section that runs in front of the kitchens. So you can watch the chefs while having your meal, if dining solo at a table impacts you at all.

I'll second the lamb shank at Jiko, and try the red snapper at FF.