PDA

View Full Version : Dine with an Imagineer

IndyPirate
12-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Anyone done this? I made reservations for it today. :woohoo:

KatiebugsMom
12-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Not yet, I will let you know in 3 weeks.....

IndyPirate
12-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Maybe it's the same one. We'll be there in three weeks, too. Lunch was all booked up, so we're doing the dinner at Artist Point.
:yay:

KatiebugsMom
12-30-2006, 11:18 AM
DH secured a Lunch w. Imagineer at the Derby for Jan 24th....

Cindy's Mom
12-30-2006, 12:23 PM
What is this? I would think you dine with an Imagineer, but is it one on one? What restaurants participate? do you pay for him/her to eat? LOL.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find more info?

hoffman1
12-30-2006, 01:52 PM
My husband and I did this on our trip this past September. I absolutely loved it. Of course, you have no idea who your imagineer will be, but Alex Wright was our host. Some of you may recognize the name from the Imagineers Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. He was absolutely wonderful. We were there from 11:30-2:30 but the time flew by. There was only one other couple and another lady in the lunch. The food was fine. My husband, who is a very picky eater, did not have any trouble picking an entree (he had steak but did not eat his cobb salad). But the food was the smallest part of the experience. Alex told us a little about how he became an imagineer and what he does. I could have listened to him all day. It was clear to see that he has a love for Disney and that he loves what he does. He told us about some things that are coming up but there were some things that people had asked about that he could not talk about because there had not been a release about it yet. I was kind of "star-struck" so I could not even think of anything intelligent to say or ask. My husband did ask him about the possibility of the Beastly KIngdom at Animal Kingdom and he said basically that it was not outside the realm of possibilities but he seemed to imply there were no immediate plans. I had tried to find out before hand who would be there so that I could research their field and come prepared with some questions (I am a big geek) but we were told they did not know until that day so I did not even have my books with me for him to sign. He did, however, give me his office address so I can mail them to him to get them autographed. With the meal we got engraved name tags (they are the red type with Mickey and say I dined with an Imagineer), personalized menus, and a plate that he wrote a little message on and signed for us (they told us they had just changed the plates-they are dessert sized clear plates with Mickey). My husband said he was afraid for us to do it again in the future because it was such a great experience this time, that next time I might be disappointed. I think I will have to take that risk. If anyone is considering doing this I would definitely reccommend it. I would be happy to answer any questions.

IndyPirate
12-30-2006, 05:34 PM
What is this? I would think you dine with an Imagineer, but is it one on one? What restaurants participate? do you pay for him/her to eat? LOL.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find more info?
It's a small group of people (8 or less, I think) who eats a meal with an Imagineer. Brown Derby hosts it for lunch MWF, and Artist Point hosts it every other Thursday evening. You do pay a good bit more than you would've for a meal.

IndyPirate
12-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Hang on, and I'll post links.

IndyPirate
12-30-2006, 05:36 PM
I keep getting this message:

To be able to post links your post count must be 10 or greater. Your post count is 9 momentarily.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.

So one more time....

IndyPirate
12-30-2006, 05:37 PM
http://allearsnet.com/din/dine_imag.htm
http://www.allearsnet.com/din/restnews.htm

:cool1:

Lancer
12-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Anyone done this? I made reservations for it today. :woohoo:

I did it last Feb and thought it was great! Our Imagineer was Deb Petterson, a graphics design person. She had worked on EE and Disney Hong Kong among others things. The meal was fantastic and we were treated to about an 1 1/2 -2 hours of interesting stories, trivia, and other info from her up to then, 12 years(?) with Disney. Her husband is also an imagineer. Well worth the time and money. There are about 15 imagineers that rotate around at any given time so they can do it when their schedules permit. Because of this, I will be "Dining" again next month. I was told that no one has ever gotten the same imagineer twice. And no, you cant find out in advance who your imagineer will be. I tried.

Eventer98
12-30-2006, 09:59 PM
We would be really interested in this lunch/dinner but my question is about the food menus. We aren't picky, so to speak, but "unique" foods that don't qualify as meat and potatoes can turn our stomachs off!! Is there a set menu at each place or do you order what you want?? Just curious since it is a little pricey. It sounds like a gret experience though! :wizard:

Lancer
12-30-2006, 10:22 PM
We would be really interested in this lunch/dinner but my question is about the food menus. We aren't picky, so to speak, but "unique" foods that don't qualify as meat and potatoes can turn our stomachs off!! Is there a set menu at each place or do you order what you want?? Just curious since it is a little pricey. It sounds like a gret experience though! :wizard:

I am not sure how often they change the menu,but, last Feb the menu was...

1st appetizer - Mulligatawny soup with green apple, chicken, basmati rice and minted creme Fraiche.

2nd appetizer - classic cobb salad with chopped greens, turkey breast, bacon, egg, tomatoes,bleu cheese, avacado, cobb dressing.

Entree- your choice of one

1. New York strip steak with boniato mashed potatoes, peppered onions and three sauces

2. Thai noodle bowl w/ barbecue chicken, sugar peas, bok choy and shiitake mushrooms in red curry broth

3.Pan fried grouper over asparagus, citrus plugra butter sauce, topped with sweet onion marmalade

Dessert - double vanilla creme brulee with a ginger snap stick

coffe, tea or non alchoholic beverage

How do I remember all this? They give you a small menu, personalized with your name,date, and imagineer hosting. Everyone also got a specially designed plate that the imagineer signs for you.

The soup was alright, I found out that I hate Cobb salad, but the steak and creme brulee were excellent.

Hope this helps!

Lancer

Eventer98
12-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Thank you very much for such a detailed response!!! I have a feeling we would not enjoy the food for the price we would have to pay...I also didn't realize tax or tip was NOT included in the $89..yikes!! Maybe next trip. We already splurged on CDS tickets. What a great experience it must be though. Thanks again! princess:

TiggerAllie
12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
We also did Lunch with an Imagineer this October at the HBD. We had the same menu as Lancer. All of the food was wonderful, and it was so interesting! I would do it again (assuming I would get to meet another Imagineer--Joe told us he thought there were about 20 folks who did it). The max amt of guests is 8. You can check out my trip report for more details (see my sig).

InstImpres
12-30-2006, 11:53 PM
I actually dined with Lancer...so it is a small world.

We really enjoyed it. While I too am I picky eater, I was happy for the experience even though I didn't eat a lot (and I can't wait to book it again.)

Here's another thread with more reviews and a list of more than 1/2 of the imagineers who have been part of this:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1255446&page=2&pp=15&highlight=imagineer

EpcotMatt
01-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know if the Artist Point dinner would be covered under the DDP? I assume not, but figured I'd ask.

clhcpaca
01-02-2007, 02:23 PM
My husband and I did this on our trip this past September. I absolutely loved it. Of course, you have no idea who your imagineer will be, but Alex Wright was our host. Some of you may recognize the name from the Imagineers Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. He was absolutely wonderful. We were there from 11:30-2:30 but the time flew by. There was only one other couple and another lady in the lunch. The food was fine. My husband, who is a very picky eater, did not have any trouble picking an entree (he had steak but did not eat his cobb salad). But the food was the smallest part of the experience. Alex told us a little about how he became an imagineer and what he does. I could have listened to him all day. It was clear to see that he has a love for Disney and that he loves what he does. He told us about some things that are coming up but there were some things that people had asked about that he could not talk about because there had not been a release about it yet. I was kind of "star-struck" so I could not even think of anything intelligent to say or ask. My husband did ask him about the possibility of the Beastly KIngdom at Animal Kingdom and he said basically that it was not outside the realm of possibilities but he seemed to imply there were no immediate plans. I had tried to find out before hand who would be there so that I could research their field and come prepared with some questions (I am a big geek) but we were told they did not know until that day so I did not even have my books with me for him to sign. He did, however, give me his office address so I can mail them to him to get them autographed. With the meal we got engraved name tags (they are the red type with Mickey and say I dined with an Imagineer), personalized menus, and a plate that he wrote a little message on and signed for us (they told us they had just changed the plates-they are dessert sized clear plates with Mickey). My husband said he was afraid for us to do it again in the future because it was such a great experience this time, that next time I might be disappointed. I think I will have to take that risk. If anyone is considering doing this I would definitely reccommend it. I would be happy to answer any questions.

I think I was that other lady in your group. And...I really loved the experience. It was well worth the money. The lunch was quite good, also.

Cindy

MagicAddict2178
01-02-2007, 04:41 PM
I did the lunch last February as a special treat for my birthday. I ended up being pretty disappointed. I, too, had the same menu as Lancer and the food and service were both excellent! Our "imagineer" (and I use the term loosely) was awful. He was boring, had no interesting info for us, and after spending 3 hours with him, I still couldn't understand what he actually did. All I could ascertain was that he had an office at Epcot somewhere. Plus, the other couple we dined with spent the entire time grilling him on how to become an imagineer, as they had a niece who wanted to be one.

I had read so many rave reviews of the program, but I ended up paying so much money for a disappointing experience. :sad2:

hoffman1
01-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Clhcpaca, it really is a small world (after all)! ;)
Glad to here you had a good time as well.