PDA

View Full Version : Where to dine with new FIL??

mistybuchanan
12-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Okay so I am meeting my father in law for the first time...only 3rd or 4th time that DH has ever met him. They live about 1 1/2 hours away from WDW and are driving out to have dinner with us at the world. We were thinking of Planet Hollywood but arent too sure, then we were thinking of Rainforest Cafe but dont want them to have to pay parking and all that....does any one have any suggestions for dining at DTD or Rainforest Cafe???

Thanks-
Misty

tjmouse
12-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Does it have to be DTD? I am not really thrilled with the restaurants down there, however, I have heard rave reviews about Raglan Road. I personally would take them to the Poly and do 'Ohana. I think there is enough atmosphere there to kind of keep the conversation going and make dinner interesting. Just a thought - good luck!!

Aimeedyan
12-28-2006, 08:34 PM
DTD is free parking.

You won't be able to hear each other yell at Planet Hollywood. It is SO loud, cramped, and active. Not a place for any kind of conversation.

Rainforest is okay, a big tourist trap, and can sometimes be loud.

Raglan Road has fantastic food and atmosphere, though I would not go in time for the band as it gets very loud. An earlier dinner there would be wonderful for that kind of first meeting - esp in a big booth.

You could do a hotel restaurant - again, free parking with a reservation there. Check out the menu's on this site or www.allearsnet.com and see what might appeal to you.

I can tell you that my IL's LOVED Kona Cafe and Concourse when we took them to WDW. Great menu's, fairly good atmosphere for conversation, and easy to get to.

tampaguys
12-28-2006, 08:45 PM
How fancypants are they and what kind of food do they like? There are so many better choices than Rainforest Cafe. A few that leap to mind are:

- Raglan Road (Downtown Disney)
- Wolfgang Puck's (Downtown Disney)
- Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian)
- Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge)
- Flying Fish (Boardwalk)
- bluezoo (Dolphin)

Pumbaa_
12-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Artist Point is a lovely choice, quiet, understated and excellant food.

Another vote to stay away from DTD. So many excellant choices at the resorts that are so much quieter and better selections.

Kona Cafe is another excellant choice. Understated but truly excellant food. A nice ride on the monorail after dinner is always lovely. Some unique shopping at CR too.

tampaguys
12-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Heck, if they're not uptight at all and it's within your budget, take them to the Spirit of Aloha dinner show at the Polynesian resort! Depending on how close to the stage you sit, the cost per adult is $50-$60, which includes tax and tip. The food is delish and the show is a lot of fun.

mistybuchanan
12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I have no idea about them at all....and I know that they do not have a ton of money. Since they have been to the world before im thinking of calling/emailing and see where they would like to eat. My DH suggested the Whispering (?) where they have the family platters, ect. Im not to sure. Im just nervous meeting them.... We dont have to eat at DTD, it can be anywhere nice but not super expensive. Thanks so much,

Misty

tampaguys
12-28-2006, 09:51 PM
My top choices in the not-a-ton-of-money category:

Whispering Canyon Cafe (Wilderness Lodge)
ESPN Club (Boardwalk)
Big River Brewing Company (Boardwalk)
Cape May Cafe (Beach Club)

All have free parking.

Luv Bunnies
12-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Planet Hollywood is so loud and obnoxious! I think Raglan Road would be a good choice if it has to be at DTD.