PDA

View Full Version : We loved AKL!

hollyintn
12-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Hello,

I have really enjoyed all the tips this last month, Thank you Thank you. I felt compelled to post my family's trip too (Myself, husband, and 3 year old son).

We stayed at the AKL from Dec 22-27. We had such an amazing time. Our room number was 4409(Savanna View) and our view was incredible!! We saw giraffes, zebras, antelope, and more. Every time we had "down time" we watched the animals, while lying on our beds. One day we saw the Zebra get very frisky and chased each other around. The hotel was beautiful. We loved the fire pits and there were so many children's activities. Our son loved seeing the animals and talking to all of the CMs from Africa.

Boma was very good. Our favorite restaurant. The lentil dishes and hummus were very good. Mara was good too. They had a yummy pita sandwich and I was especially happy to try the flat bread pizza there. Jiko serves it as an appetizer and we did not have time for Jiko so we were satisfied to try the pizza at Mara. Yummy. We bought the Mara refillable cups and they helped, since my husband and I drank big coffees everyday. We used a tip from the board and brought disposable coffee cups. We filled up and headed to the parks bright and early every day.

The bus service was great too. AKL is farther away but since you do not share a bus with other resorts it is a quick ride to all of the parks. We never waited for longer than 10 minutes.

We did have a hard time getting from resort to resort. I don’t think we would waste travel time doing that again. We ate at Whispering Canyon and OHana, but the travel time was too long just to eat a meal. Next time we would stay at the parks or our resort.

We had a very good time, and will stay at AKL again. Just as some side notes. When we first checked in, we were not satisfied with our view, so we requested another. The CM was more than accommodating, we just had to wait a few hours for another room to open up. Also we requested early housekeeping and by the third day, it still was not happening. We called the front desk and they took some money off of our tab for our inconvenience. Again very nice and accommodating. Our housekeeper made an animal towel everyday!

When we booked our trip we did not know it was going to be a busy time. We followed tips from the board and a guide book. We got to the parks about a half hour before they opened and literally walked on all of the rides until about 10Am! By then we walked around ate lunch and went back to our room for a rest. We headed back to the parks for an early dinner. We grabbed a couple fast passes and toured the parks!

A great time with our son that we will always remember. He adored the characters, the character meals were worth it just to see him get so excited!
We were also really lucky on our first day at Magic Kingdom and received “Dream Passes” we didn’t use them in the morning but they really came in handy for the evening. A great trip and we can not wait to go back!!

dixiedizfan
12-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the great review of AKL. We'll be checking in there in four days! Just wondered which view were you offered first, the one you didn't care for? And did you have a request on your reservation for a particular room view, such as Zebra Trail or Arusha Savannah? Anyhow, thanks again for all the info, and welcome back.

TaraPA
12-28-2006, 09:12 PM
We were at AKL from 12/5-11 - loved the hummus (and everything else) at Boma too - best meal of the whole vacation. We saw giraffes running & playing on our trip, very neat to see. You had better luck with bus service than we did, but it's all in the timing. Sounds like you had a magical time & will have great memories from it!

hollyintn
12-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I did not request a particular room in advance. Our room was on Zebra trail, facing the Arusha Savannah. The odd rooms face this Savannah.

The original room we had was also on the Zebra trail but was an even number and faced the Uzima Savannah. This Savannah was not as big. I am not sure how the view would have been but from everything we read, we really wanted the arusha Savannah. We had constant animals in this Savannah, very exciting to watch. The fourth floor was a nice view point too. My son also liked to watch the "humans" who were below us at the Arusha rock observing from the ground floor.

Have a wonderful time in AKL! Try a pot of french press African coffee by the fire pit! :) Also bring your binoculars.

Nik's Mom
12-28-2006, 10:37 PM
AKL is our favorite Resort! We will be going for our 2nd stay there in May. I just love it. Did you notice the new construction at all?

purpliequeen
12-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Glad you enjoyed AKL- we love it too!

NeverBeen2DW
12-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Glad you liked it. I went with my son dec 7 to the 13th and stayed at AKL. I really did not like it and found the staff to be unfriendly and uncommodating. I stayed in 4437 and could not see anything but the tops of trees. The 2nd floors has the best view in my opinion. For example 2437 would of had an awesome view.

hollyintn
12-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi,

No we did not notice any construction. Are they adding on?

I think the view is the most important part of your stay. We were just thrilled to see the animals. Our room was closer to the Arusha rock, it was not blocked by trees at all and we were on the 4th floor too. At first, I thought the rock would block our view, but then immediately noticed all of the animals surrounding it. They have a salt lick and hay feeding right by the rock because this is a viewing point for the guests. I am sorry you couldnt see more animals. We were in our hotel maybe more than the average guest because of our three year old. But still every time we looked out the window there were animals.

We encountered some not so nice service but mostly at other restuarants. We were disappointed but kept requesting what we wanted till we were satisfied. I think sometimes people who work there forget how much we are paying. If we were paying 30 dollars a person for a "buffet" back home our service would be amazing! Overall though we were extremely happy.

I wish I had bought a CD of the African music, I miss it!

Nik's Mom
12-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Yes, they are adding a DVC resort. I'm glad to hear that you didn't notice construction. Isn't that Hotel so beautiful! We just love it there.

I think the 3rd floor savannah was just perfect. The third floor is the same floor as the lobby, so there was no need for elevators when returning from the parks (for my fellow stroller-pushers).:thumbsup2